picatinny rails

blazingsaddle

Just wondering if anyone runs a rail on their hunting rifle, and what they think about it?

Are there any real advantages over regular bases and rings? The rifle I'm considering putting one on is a 270 WSM. This gun will never be used for serious long range shooting, 500 yrd max type shooting.

I just put one on a winny 300 wsm. They are nice if you need a little extra adjustment for eye relief. Some of the newer scopes have very little tube length to be able to slide a scope forward or back in standard rings and bases. Just be aware that you will need to also buy new rings because the width of the slot is different than standard weaver style bases. Also make sure you get the right one because I found out the hard way that Win has a different action for the wsm than a standard short action.

I just bought a Howa .243 that has a picatinny rail instead of the regular mounts, seems like its working out ok so far, i have no complaints and it is holding its zero well.

Also, if you have a picantinny rail on every one of your guns its becomes really easy to move scopes around. Not something I ever planned on doing, but have now done a few times and so I have tried to make everything go to this style of ring/base.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom