Pinon Area

bowelk

I have a Jan bow hunt in there and have never hunted the area. I have done some scouting and have an idea what to do but am not extremely confindent I will be hunting the unit productively. I picked up a left over tag from Game and Fish (after going 0/5 in the draw) and started completly in the dark. I have heard it is a migratory unit, but snow doesnt seemed to becoming in SE NM so far. If anyone knows this unit and wouldnt mind chatting I would appreciate it. Im not looking for anything but making sure Im starting in the right area and I would like to camp close to the part of the unit I tend to hunt. Also how is the cell service around Pinon area?

Migration???? What the ..........

I'm sorry dude. I may not be the person to ask and I may be totally in the dark since I've only been hunting there since I was 4 but anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. I am very curious as to where these deer are migrating from?

If you plan on hunting the migration you might as well stay home cuz there won't be any migrating deer to hunt.

Wait just one darn second, those deer do migrate. When the snow hits they migrate from the south side of the hill all the way around that darn thang to the north side of the hill. Yep they migrate all of a few hundred yards! I have pictures of bucks in 3 feet deep snow in the middle of january in the middle of hay canyon. Why are they there you ask? because there are so many pockets that don't have snow that they have no reason to migrate. Just go walk around up there some time. There's always places to browse.

If you do want a fun hunt do this. Have someone drive your truck, get in the back in a chair with an arrow knocked and drive back and forth on the highway between pinon and weed and you will have tons of shots on big bucks and its a blast. If your stalk is ruined by deer being jumpy because of running engines then no worries matey! Drive up the road and find one a little more road hunting friendly. You will absolutely get a buck that way cuz there's tons of those darned migrating deer simply standing on the road. Seriously though, I'm not kidding.

I dont care what Monkey says your not an a**h*le. I have been told to drive the roads, but I dont get to much ejoyment in that. I plan on working some the canyons on foot. I have heard that the deer migrate from the north IE Cloudcroft area into the lower elevation, but according to you that is not the case or I am just a complete idiot to think such a thing. However I feel graced to have spoken to the great stinky.

cell service is non existent around pinon. depending on which provider you have the nearest cell reception would be around cloudcroft. verizon works between cloudcroft and mayhill. good luck on the hunt. hit pinon draw. fs did two 1000 ac rx burns there a few years ago. some good canyons off the road to hike around.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom