Poaching Or Not Poaching 2

Cowkiller

This is a similar question but has nothing to do with private land or trespass. Today's hunting is often limited to game management units with specific boundaries. Animals are frequently pushed by hunting pressure towards the edges of game management units. Often they will move onto the steep slopes overlooking the drainages that form the unit boundaries. It always seemed to me that a great strategy would be to glass and shoot from the adjacent unit across the canyon into the unit where you have the tag. Would that be poaching? Assuming of course you are not shooting across a road, railroad, homes, etc.

ck...i went through that several years ago, with a game warden standing right by my side...the buck was in the legal hunting area, i was not. he told me 'it didn't matter where i shot from, it was where the animal was'. i shot, got the buck, he checked the paper work, and we both went our merry ways. of course, you have to be legal in that you are not shooting across a road and all the rest. this was in washington...can't speak for the others...

Why not just go over into the unit that your tag is valid for? I mean, if that is where the deer are, why shoot from another unit? Maybe I misunderstood the post.

sam... my problem was steep ground and a deep river..i had a boat in the back of the truck to retrieve the deer, after shooting

If I was standing in WA and shot a deer across the invisible border in ID what tag would I use? Come on! You can ask this question a bunch of different ways, and the answers are all the same. It's poaching. People have to realize there are all types of poaching.

Ask yourself this Cowkiller, would if a game warden was watching you stand there and then watched you shoot across a canyon and kill an elk, what do you think he would do or say?

With GMU's there is a pretty fine line of where the unit starts and ends but, it is the hunters responsibilty to know where his/her boundries are. Then HUNT and KILL within those boundries!! And usually they are defined by roads, rivers, streams, and yes "canyons."

mslayer...in my case, the river was the boundary. i specifically asked the game warden if i needed to be 'in the river ,across the river, or at the high water mark?' as i said, he told me it didn't matter, it's where the animal is. as i asked,then shot, he was there the whole time, checked my license. he certainly didn't consider it poaching, nor do i

littlefoot....that's fine and that would be a good question to ask maybe 5-10 different wardens. I think it is strange though that, you could be standing on one side of lets say the Columbia River, a clear boundry, and shoot across it at an animal and that be legal. Not saying that's what you did, but kind of sounds like that's what he was referring to.

mman...that is exactly what i did...it was the yakima river. one side was open, where the deer were, the other side was not, where i was. my initial intention was to go there, as i had been watching this buck long before the season opened, cross the river via boat and start climbing. the warden stopped to check me when i was pulled over and getting ready to unload the boat. that's when i asked him about the boundary for shooting. shot, got a nice buck, rowed over, climbed up,dragged him down. i would not have shot from where i did had i not been told that it was perfectly legal. later on, i asked another warden about it...he said there was 'no problem'

Wow....that's something I would not have thought was legal. I guess bottom line is if the Game Warden says is alright then do it.

BTW...little easier shooting across the Yakima then the Columbia. :) That would be a heckava shot.

ok, here's one. if i was spotlighting from a chute plane in the U.S. and saw a big buck across the border in canada, in a national park, by a NO HUNTING sign, out of season....................

RLH,
You just leave that buck alone. Only Canadians can poach in a Canadian National Park. You have to know that is the rule. LMAO!!!
Where I see potential problems when there is no physical boundary to define the MU. Sometimes it is just a freakin' compass bearing, other times it is the topographical watershed break. Water going one way and your legal, going the other way and your not.
069729.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom