POLL: FIX BROKEN TINES OR NOT???

elks96

Long Time Member
So my Taxi man is working on a buck for me I shot a few years back. The first time I saw the buck I saw it with full tines. When I harvested the buck is had broken off one tine each side. Despite being a non typical it almost had no deduction as each side broke off at pretty much the same spot. My best guess is the broke points cost me around 3.5 inches each.

I am up in the air because the buck scored 193 3/4 with broke tines. When you add in what I feel was missing and what the taxidermist also think is conservative and would look right, the buck would break 200"...

So would you keep the buck how it was when you shot it?

Or put it together like it was when you first saw it?

>We would need to see some
>photos of this 200 inch
>buck to make that call.
>

Mine is on the left you can see the one broke in back on the one side, actually the back 2 on the one side were broke. The other side is hid due to the angle.

I love the buck how he is and not sure I want to mess with him. This was a general tag in WY. Both buck were together. The full story is in the Fall edition of Western Hunter.

BigBucks.jpg

Me, i'd probably have the tines repaired. Not because he would score more but because he would look better, more natural.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I lucked out and harvest a NM Whitetail that was my dream buck. His G3 was totally gone. He is a NT as well. I am having it put back on. He lost 9 inches with loss. I am putting it back more because of I want to see him with it and I think it will look better. The loss of the G3 kinda leaves a gaping hole on one side. Just my opinion.

The link to this buck is below.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID34/4781.html

Fixin' his tines would not increase his official score at all.

So why do it?

I actually like the High 4x4 better.

What did that buck 'score' if ya know?

Robb

I wouldn't fix him. He is what he is. The only time I would get one fixed is if I caused the breakage... falling off the wall or something of the sort...
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Do whatever makes you happy and that you think makes him look best because the score isn't going up by redoing the rack anyway!

I never fix broken tines on my own deer. Its a whole other story in the deers life. Kind of like a scar on my hand. I like deer that lived a wild life of adventure and survival and not so much a beauty pagent.

I would not fix the broken tines, here's why:

1. Unless you have apicture of him with the tines then you cannot restore him to look how he naturally did, it would always be the best guess of the taxidermist.

2. The moment of the kill is the memory that stays with me the most, not how many times I saw the deer before the season. Heck if I could just have replicas made of the deer and elk I've seen while scouting I could have a very impressive trophy room.

3. Does the score really matter that much. It doesn't to me, adding 7" to make it reach an arbitrary number of 200" would not make that deer any more valuable to me, nor would it change the experience of the hunt. And again, that 3.5 inches on each side would always be a best guess, not fact.

In the end when you look up at the mount on the wall what do you think will bring the memories of the hunt back to you most vividly? Broken tines? Repaired?

If you're into the memory- Dont fix it, mount it the way you remember it on the ground.

If you're into the score - Dont fix it, If you came close to 200" and just missed, you'll still get out there after your 200" buck with vigor...

If you're into the "legend" - Dont fix it, your buck was a crazed bruiser of a buck that lost some points fighting off other great bucks, and in the end, yours won... he was king of the mountain and you took him down... :)

If you're into the looks- Fix it, generally speaking, the full rack looks better than a broken one...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

So all of this is the exact issue I am having. One side says complete the rack. Other side says keep cool. The buck had a rough life. From the picture you can tell growing that big was not due to awesome feed, but all genetics and age.

I am thinking I will keep it as is...

As far as the score, I am not trying to make it a 200" buck actually I am afraid to do it, I do not need the 200" buck. The mount is going to be pretty darn cool. I am just not sure. I have battled back and forth on the issue for the last 2 years...

This is actually a cool part of the story we wrote for the Western Hunter Magazine. For year my buddy and I hunted Coyotes together, but never held the same big game tag at the same time. During those years we have many pictures of buck in groups. Several that are wide and several that are tall. When we would find such a situation, We would always debate which one was better. I have always learned to the non typical and wide, he has always been a main frame 4 deep forks type.

Long story short we knew the wide buck was a stud, the tall buck we never got a good look at but he seems likely to be a stud as well. Opening morning we spotted them and when we got a good look at both my buddy instantly said he wanted the tall buck and I instantly said I wanted the wide one...

The tall buck scored right at 184 and change. Truly a great animal.

One of my best mulies(also a nontypical)has a couple of his trash points busted off.I mounted him as is,and he looks great.I killed a whitey in Iowa in 2011 that had his main beam on his right side busted off about halfway down.I am having him repaired.To each his own,I suppose.That whitey would look kinda stupid(IMO) with only half a main beam on one side.Almost all of his points were missing the top 1/4"-1/2".Those I am not repairing.That is character!Your buck looks good the way he is.Unless they are really broken up badly,I won't repair them.

If I shot the buck with broken tines, he stays that way. If I were to shoot him, he rolled snd broke... then I'd look into getting the tine(s) fixed.

I've never been in your situation but that's just my 2 cents

I would not fix it. If he was like that when you shot him, I would leave it as is. Now, if you shot him and he fell down some rocky chute, then rolled down about 150 yards piling up against a big boulder ( still in tact at this point mind you), then as you're trying to unfold him and drag him out of the chute, he takes off rolling and bouncing off rocks and logs for another 300 yards, ending up at the bottom of the hill with a broken main beam at the g4, then yes, I'd fix him.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom