power assist steering quads

nvmuley

Anyone here have any experience with the power assist steering quads?

I think Yamaha and Honda each have one out now. It sure sounds like a good idea for country where there are more rocks than dirt :)

----------------------------------------
Measure wealth by the things you have,, for which you would not take money.

In Hunting Illustrated a few months back they tested the new Yamaha Grizzly that has this steering and it got real good reviews.They are pretty costly but all the big quads are now pretty high priced...

Thanks. That's for sure, they are all expensive!
If anyone has driven one, I'd sure like to hear what you thought of them.
I remember my old '72 Ford had no power steering and I can't imagine not having it on my truck now.

Hey Guy..

i own a Yamaha 700 Grizzly, its the ducks unlimited model..
I've been on some pretty rugged trails, power assist works really well... i picked this machine up for $8500.00
Also, it really takes a few trips to get used to riding them, there's a lot more to riding them, than just hopping on!
I REALLY ENJOY MINE....

I bought the grizzly 700 last year just after they came out with them. I am very happy with it all the way around. Awesome machine. The power steering isn't the main reason I bought it but it came in handy last year, mostly in rocky terrain. It helped a lot with the "kick back" effect when hitting rocks and stuff not allowing the handle bars to come back at you as much. The grizzly is awesome, you won't be sorry!

Does the grizzly have engine compression on downhills or is it freewheeling?
The power steering aspect is what I'm mainly interested in. I spend day after day after day riding on roads that are mostly rocks :)

First of all, I have been a Polaris/Honda guy all my life, but...
I was looking to get a big wheeler to put some tracks on. The largest complaint I found about the tracks is that they are hard to steer so I thought power steering would be the ticket. I bought the Yamaha 700.
ALL I can say is "wow, awsome!!!!" These machines are getting so big these days they needed something like this. I honesty think the power steering is the best thing to come along in a long time. It makes riding fun! The other thing is that it allows women and kids to be able to handle these large machines with no problems. I think it makes that machine a lot safer also.
My largest complaint about this machine is the automatic shifter is on the left and side of the machine. It is awkward, it should be on the right hand side!
Well worth the extra couple hundred dollars.

NV...

I've gone down some steep, rocky, roads and trails... never ultizing the braking system...engine compression !! no free wheeling...

Thanks again for your input on the PS and engine braking!
One trend I've noticed with the newer machines is the "overhang" of rack and plastic at the front of the machines. This interfers with putting the quads in the bed of an extended cab pickup without leaving the tailgate down. Not a good thing IMHO. Who wants to pull a trailer everywhere :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom