Pre 64 Winchester 30-06

DeerHunter53

Long Time Member
I was wondering if anyone has any idea what my Pre 64 Winchester 30-06 that has never been shot and still has the tags on it from when it was new.
It was my Grandfathers gun and was left to me, part of me wants to take it out and use it the other side says no

I had a couple of pre 64’s mothballed in the back of the safe that I just put back in circulation, including my dad’s 30-06 Fwt.

I’m sure he would agree with me that guns should be shot. I have enough junk around here I’ll never use and I won’t put his favorite rifle on that list.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea what my Pre 64 Winchester 30-06 that has never been shot and still has the tags on it from when it was new.
It was my Grandfathers gun and was left to me, part of me wants to take it out and use it the other side says no
I always see things from a different angle than everyone else. 🤪

My thoughts are: your Grandfather must have had a reason for never shooting it. If was my intent to pass it down to someone in my family I think I would want to pass the rifle on, but I’d want to pass it down with the complete Grandfather part of it. In his memory……. I would encourage the recipient to do the same when he/she passes it down another generation, 30 years from now.

If I wanted to experience shoot/hunting with a pre64 30-06……. I’d buy a good used one and have at it.

But that’s me and…… I’m not you 53. You are a fortunate man, your Grandfather must have thought a great deal of you.

It’s fine to take it out and shoot it once or twice so long as you take care of it! You are not going to hurt it!
Make sure it is safe to shoot and use the correct ammunition.
Might want to have a knowledgeable gunsmith inspect it for safety concerns!
Do not throw the hang tag it originally came with and take care of it. It adds value to its originality!
If you are interested, send me the serial number on the barrel minus the last number and I can tell you when it was built.
If not, Google “When was my Winchester Made” and follow the prompts for the Model 70!
Enjoy it and take care of it!
If you are storing it in a high humidity environment and gun safe, you might consider looking into a dehumidifier rod or similar product to prevent rusting.
Vice versus, if storing in a very dry environment that might cause the stock cracking, consider buying and using “Snake Oil” and rubbing it on the wood at least twice a year! This will not hurt the metal or bluing on the metal parts.
Snake Oil is available online.
Do a review beforehand if you like.
Rick.

Pretty neat to have one with history in the family but still new. if you scope it or shoot it enough it can be seen it will reduce the value if that matters, but not that much. I'd probably keep it new if it were me why shoot it at this point.

Standard weight standard grade? lots of variations back then. The Rifleman's Rifle book is a must have for any M70 enthusiast. if you don't know the manufacture date I can tell you by the first part of the serial number.

If it’s truly unfired LEAVE IT THAT WAY. Go buy a new one and shoot the heck out of it if you want to shoot a 30-06. You will decrease the value by a lot if you start shooting an original unfired pre 64. It has survived at least 61 years in its current condition why destroy it now. You can buy a new rifle for less than the value will take off it by shooting it now.

I disagree . One cartridge down the tube will not affect its value however, you do what is best for you and your family.
Roger Rule authored a comprehensive book specifically on the Model 70 you might entertain looking into!
Bottom line, Take care of it!!!!!

I’m quite familiar with Rule’s book, it’s only a virgin once. I’ll be happy to compare prices on used vs unfired pre 64 rifles. I’ll show you several examples if you like. The op was asking about taking it out an USING it, not firing one round, big difference.

There is value in an unfired antique gun. How much? IDK. There are entities that will certify a gun as unfired so that tells me there is a market.

We're assuming it really hasn't been shot, maybe it's been fired very little . if the Op really wants to know a close inspection by a qualified collector is needed. if it's been fired a little more won't hurt much. and they were proof fired at the factory for that matter.

If it's a standard weight standard model it's not worth a fortune in that caliber. if it's a Super grade or some rare configuration firing it could cost serious amounts of money. it all depends.

But I agree with pre-64, if it looks unfired leave it that way what the point in shooting it.

They're a fantastic rifle, but I don't hunt with them much anymore. my .264 and my 220 swift are the only ones I've shot in years. I wouldn't sell it, but a 9 lb. -06 wouldn't be my idea of a modern hunting rifle.

The value hardly matters since you'll never sell it. Your grandfather left it to you--possibly the best firearm he ever owned--and I doubt he wanted it to remain a bookend. I expect it made him happy thinking of you spending time in the woods with some reminder of him. You undoubtedly own lighter rifles with faster cartridges, etc. but these would never see the woods if I had the equivalent of grandpa's '06. And it will never be more valuable to anyone else (including your own heirs, assuming they are too young to have known the man).

It's corny, but I would feel like I was giving him one more hunt every time I shouldered that rifle. Enjoy it.

I am reminded of a dog-eared side-by-side with Damascus barrels that my grandpa left to me. I need to sleeve it with 20 gauge barrels, buy some TSS, and start killing turkeys with it. He was a farmer, not a hunter, so it wouldn't be quite the same. Maybe if I shot a few coons or possums...

Last edited:
My point! Shoot it only once IF you want to. I was not stating shooting it more than once. As already stated above, it is not a virgin anymore. It was already shot at the factory to proof test it for safety!

What would be the use of going outside and shooting it once in the ground? Again he asked about taking it out and USING it. Not shoot once to see if it works. Im thinking if Gramps wanted to own a used rifle he would have used it, not take care of it for years and years in that condition for the next caretaker to kill the value by using it. Get on gunbroker or guns international and see how many unfired pre 64 rifles vs fired ones you will find. I’ll wait.

You don’t need to wait regarding how many rifles have ever been fired or not! How can you prove any of those guns on Gun Broker or anywhere for that matter have actually not been shot?
There is “no such thing” as a rifle Never having been shot at least once!
As stated before, they Have been proof tested and fired before leaving the factory.
Your premise makes no sense.
Have a good day!

Wow doubling down, I can most definitely tell if a gun is NIB or like new from several high definition photos vs a used firearm, very easy to tell once you know what to look for. One more time for possible penetration, he did not ask about shooting one round out of it, he asked about using the rifle, possibly mounting a scope, sighting it in taking it to the field, all those things will greatly decrease the value. I can explain it to you but I cant make you understand the difference.

Every centerfire I own is a variant of a Winchester 70. I may know just a little more than the average guy about them. Have a good day

20240229_085925.jpg

20240229_085920.jpg

I’m not talking further about him shooting his rifle or not. That discussion has passed.
That penetration has obviously bypassed you.
There is a big difference between a used and new firearm.
Condition of lands, groves, rifling, condition of stock, bluing, wear, scratches, etc.
You are doubling down.

Point being, every gun has in fact been shot at least once from the factory, new in box (NIB) or not! That has not penetrated you!
Take care.

Every centerfire I own is a variant of a Winchester 70. I may know just a little more than the average guy about them. Have a good day

View attachment 138361

View attachment 138362
Nice flex.

You have to explain to me how a 94 is a M70 variant.

Of course you would say hang it on the wall. But I doubt your opinion is representative of the average guy fretting over whether to shoot grandpa’s gun. I say do what grandpa would want.

Again, beautiful collection (y)

You have to do what YOU want to do with it. If you want to hunt with that rifle, go do it. If you want to shoot it, shoot it. If you want to hang it on the wall in its current condition to display it for everyone and tell them about your grandpa, do that! Heck, even if you want to sell it, go ahead. (Although I'd really discourage that one...)

Fact is, it's your gun. I suspect grandpa gave it to you because he wanted you to enjoy it, but it's still YOUR gun now, and you get to decide.

My first hunting rifle is a pre-64 model 70 in 30-06. My grandpa also gave it to me. He put a muzzle brake on it decades ago hoping my grandma would shoot it, and she would not. He gave it to me when I turned 14 and could hunt big game in my state. I used it as a teenager but these days it sits in the corner of my safe. I can't shoot that gun well. The fit isn't great for me and it isn't very fun to shoot anyway. I will never sell it because of the history, but I doubt I'll ever hunt with it again either just because I have guns that are better and that perform better in my hands. But just typing this out makes me want to pull it out and take it to the range and fire a few rounds...just for my grandpa.

The decision is entirely yours. But since you posted here, I'm taking that as an implicit ask for advice, and if I were in your shoes the value and resale of that gun is completely meaningless because it is never getting sold while I live. And if I pass it along to my kids or grandkids and they sell it, screw 'em...I don't care about the value they get anyway! :) I would not hesitate one second to take that gun out and shoot it if it were mine in your same situation. But whatever YOU decide is the right decision for your case.

Thanks for all of the input it has made me make a decision not to shoot it. The tags on the trigger guard are still hanging where they where when he bought it.
It appears from what I have read on here that it is a collector and needs to stay that way.
I have another 30-06 but thought how great it would be to hunt with Grandpa's gun. I hunt with my Dads .308 lever action but he also used that gun all of his life. I do have to admit that when I hunt with that gun when I am in the field I feel him close by.
He would be saying take it easy cocky squeeze the trigger..... I might have been a little quick on the trigger when I was a kid.
Thanks for the info I appreciate all of it.

Nice flex.

You have to explain to me how a 94 is a M70 variant.

Of course you would say hang it on the wall. But I doubt your opinion is representative of the average guy fretting over whether to shoot grandpa’s gun. I say do what grandpa would want.

Again, beautiful collection (y)
I should have stated every bolt action, you are correct. I agree with the, what grandpa would want statement, my guess is with him not shooting it and leaving the tags on it, that’s how he would want the rifle to stay.

Thanks for all of the input it has made me make a decision not to shoot it. The tags on the trigger guard are still hanging where they where when he bought it.
It appears from what I have read on here that it is a collector and needs to stay that way.
I have another 30-06 but thought how great it would be to hunt with Grandpa's gun. I hunt with my Dads .308 lever action but he also used that gun all of his life. I do have to admit that when I hunt with that gun when I am in the field I feel him close by.
He would be saying take it easy cocky squeeze the trigger..... I might have been a little quick on the trigger when I was a kid.
Thanks for the info I appreciate all of it.
One way or the other, it was your call. It’s what I’d have done as well. Now, it were mine I would set down, with pencil and paper and write up a short history of your Grandfather, his hunting history, your hunting experiences with him, and how you received the rifle. I’d include a photograph or two of him, maybe one with you and him together. I would also explain why you had never shot it, so whoever ends up with it will know about you and the rifle. I would buy or make a nice leather envelope, put this written history inside it. With a leather lace, I’d tie it to the rifle and ask that it be kept with the rifle so future owners would know as much as possible about it’s time in your family. For an even extra pop to the history, print out this entire thread and put in the envelope too. Many years from now, some appraiser on the Antigue Road Show will go nuts over both the rifle and written history with it.

I know, I’m a weird Dude…….. but that is what I’d do, to add some extra satisfaction to future owners.

Now 53, I kinda think that you should wipe it down good, along with your Dad’s rifle and post a picture of those family heirlooms………. Just saying……..

Last edited:
Nice collection. I collected them for years, many came from Bob Porter, remember him? had most of them even a few Super grade Featherweight's. I love the old 70's but I burnt out on it and sold most of them keeping only the ones I used.

Maybe when I get a little older and hunt closer to the road I'll go back to them. nostalgia is worth a lot.

I remember reading some about Mr Porter, if I remember correctly he found serial number 1 and 2, they are listed for sale on GB for 1.75 million dollars. Little out of my reach. The rarest configuration I own is a super grade carbine in 22 hornet. Several pre war super grades and a couple post war super grades. That is a great idea 2lumpy. The history is always a added bonus

I had a local friend that collected 70's also and he had a Super grade carbine in 22 Hornet as well, extremely rare. if you've had it less than 15 years it might have been his. his wife sold the collection after he passed. he had every variation of 35 Remington and 300 Savage they made as well. why those ever happened is beyond me.

I’m curious, what was the price in the hang tag?
It didn't have the price on it just the serial number and the model number and the regular stuff.
I just cleaned it up wiped it down and stored it in the gun safe. I take out all of my guns every few months and check them for any issues. Wipe them down no fingerprints and put them back.

One way or the other, it was your call. It’s what I’d have done as well. Now, it were mine I would set down, with pencil and paper and write up a short history of your Grandfather, his hunting history, your hunting experiences with him, and how you received the rifle. I’d include a photograph or two of him, maybe one with you and him together. I would also explain why you had never shot it, so whoever ends up with it will know about you and the rifle. I would buy or make a nice leather envelope, put this written history inside it. With a leather lace, I’d tie it to the rifle and ask that it be kept with the rifle so future owners would know as much as possible about it’s time in your family. For an even extra pop to the history, print out this entire thread and put in the envelope too. Many years from now, some appraiser on the Antigue Road Show will go nuts over both the rifle and written history with it.

I know, I’m a weird Dude…….. but that is what I’d do, to add some extra satisfaction to future owners.

Now 53, I kinda think that you should wipe it down good, along with your Dad’s rifle and post a picture of those family heirlooms………. Just saying……..
My Father Uncle and Grandfather all left me great guns they used. but you are right I will write up the story and leave pictures with names so future generations will know who some of the people in the pics are.
I'm sure one of my descendants will sell it for some real money hopefully it will help them out when they do. I just can't bring myself to sell family heirlooms.

I'd sell it and buy a good rifle. mtmuley
In my experience, Pre-64 M70's have the ability to shoot very well. I know this is not universally true, but the two I have will rival any of my modern, even custom rifles. I have a .257 Roberts that shoots 115 VLDs around .5 moa and a 300 H&H that shoots 175 LRX sub moa.

I'd call those good rifles and I'd gladly shoot them against any other hunting weight rifle. Even ones with carbon-fiber barrels, GI Joe looking stocks, and big sound suppressors. ----SS

In my experience, Pre-64 M70's have the ability to shoot very well. I know this is not universally true, but the two I have will rival any of my modern, even custom rifles. I have a .257 Roberts that shoots 115 VLDs around .5 moa and a 300 H&H that shoots 175 LRX sub moa.

I'd call those good rifles and I'd gladly shoot them against any other hunting weight rifle. Even ones with carbon-fiber barrels, GI Joe looking stocks, and big sound suppressors. ----SS
I just meant since it was brand new there is no connection to the rifle except it was owned by family. I had a Pre 64 Featherweight. It's gone. mtmuley

Dad bought me an abolt 06' when turned 16.

I bought my oldest an xbolt .300 when he did, the youngest will get his choice of new rifle.

My hope is that piece of my dad I feel when that s bolt is on my shoulder, they will feel with those rifles when I'm gone.

IMO an heirloom has more value, if it was used and cherished by the giver

I'd love to find a 257 Roberts Pre 64 I might have to get into the super secret account for that one....

They are out there. Expensive for a good original one.
Do multiple searches on the net for that specific configuration.
I have definitely seen them.

I recall back in the day the pre-64 Model-70 was called "The rifleman's rifle" due to it's outstanding accuracy over other factory rifles. Winchester did a great job of putting good barrels on those rifles.
RELH

DeerHunter53,
Check out: Pre64 Winchester.com
You should find the 257 Roberts you are looking for and more.
If they don’t have it in stock at the time, they should be able to find one!

Pre64 Winchester.com
DeerHunter53,
Check out: Pre64 Winchester.com
You should find the 257 Roberts you are looking for and more.
If they don’t have it in stock at the time, they should be able to find one!
They are very proud of them.....

Pre64 Winchester.com

They are very proud of them.....
Ya, I looked them over too. They don’t sell junk but they don’t need to loose money either.

One of our MM’ers mention the younger hunters are not as interested in these old Winchesters and as we die off price could possible start to drop.

That will be interesting to watch 53……….. if we live long enough………

I had several 70 257's, I wanted them for my collection but I still don't know why they existed. pretty boring round really.

In my many years of collecting I found private owners had better guns and were more honest than the dealers. private owners don't usually know enough to try to hose you, the dealers do. I can spot a refinished stock or reblue from 10 feet away, most dealers can too but they'll lie to you and hope you can't. whatever you do never buy a gun that's being shipped to you without a clear return policy.

I had several 70 257's, I wanted them for my collection but I still don't know why they existed. pretty boring round really.

In my many years of collecting I found private owners had better guns and were more honest than the dealers. private owners don't usually know enough to try to hose you, the dealers do. I can spot a refinished stock or reblue from 10 feet away, most dealers can too but they'll lie to you and hope you can't. whatever you do never buy a gun that's being shipped to you without a clear return policy.
Yeah but some of their ammo boxes were pretty cool

20240304_201928.jpg

Yote, you have some nice collectible “Silvertip” ammunition. Assume they still have the full 20 cartridge component? Especially the grizzly bear icon.
Would really bring a bigger premium than they already will however, still worth a premium.
Hold into them! Toklat, (Grizzly).

Thank you toklat.. Yes they have the original ammo in them..been collecting many years and I never mess with a box unless it's got all of the original bullets in it..

I have a few boxes of the old stuff it's kinda like shooting black powder for all the smoke each shot out of my .41 would blow..lol

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom