Preparing truck for long hual

I just changed my oil and fuel filter this wknd . Gonna get new tires the week before we leave . Put a leer topper on and cross my fingers . Where you going to and from ? I'm going from middle TN to central WY .

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-11 AT 06:37PM (MST)[p]check all fluids, including blinker fluid,the muffler bearings should be greased every 1000 mile's and it might not hurt to carry a few tools with ya,(metric cresent wrench,left handed screw drivers ect.)J/K

the problem i run into the most on them long hauls is a (loose nut behind the wheel)

he!! i don't know,

Check your battery. If it's older, consider replacing it. The Wyoming cold will kill any battery that's living on the edge.

Buy a $5 ice scraper and keep it under the seat. It saved my bacon last year. If you're rich or work for an oil company you don't need one. Just start your truck 45 minutes before you leave.

Eel

Heading to casper wyoming from north eastern indiana. Just bought a topper also and a new optima battery. Thinking of changing u- joints before I leave the truck just turned 100,000mi I would rather do it now then on the side of the road. Does anybody carry AAA or is it a waste of money

If you're Driving a Ford?

Contact Handsome Ransom & ask him if you can borrow a Spare tranny!

You can always return it if you don't end up using it!:D

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

I consider it foolish to go anywhere without a set of tools! I broke a brake line on my last trip, so now I have a spare length of brake line, a couple of compression couplings and some fluid that I keep in my truck box. Having brakes is not overrated!

Change oil, filter and LUBE all joints. If running low on tread, get new tires.
Have a small tool cache make sure the spare it full of air.

Have a good trip.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Check everything you can think of and then some. Several years back I had gone over my truck twice and had my mechanic friend take a look for anything that might need to be replaced. All checked out. Got halfway up the mountain 1,000 miles from home and the truck died and would not start. Ended up being the coil. Who would have thought to change out a coil before a trip. Luckily a fellow hunter took me to town and found a coil on Sunday afternoon in a backyard shop. Good luck.

Your belts go out in the back woods you might make it to town but then the store might be closed and it might even be a 3 day weekend. Check your belts, might just pack an extra.

About every other year, i don't put that many miles on my camper/hunting rig, i like to have my hubs checked out and everything in there all inspected and grease packed fresh.

I've had two transmissions go out on outa state hunts lucky one was on the way home but the point is, don't ignore the transmissions, one going out can mess up a hunt big time!

Lastly, windshield wipers! they just don't make them like they used to! Don't seem to matter, expensive or cheap, i can't get over a years use out of a set. Snow and ice are way hard on a set...pack a spare set no matter how new the ones on are. Beats the heck out of driving down the mtn with your head stuck out the window to see where you're going. Been there!

Joey

No AAA in Wyoming. Cold, it is only cold in Wyoming below 0 degress, seldom gets that cold in October. Leer toppers are junk. LOF, check belts, check tires including spare are good advice. Have fun, have a good hunt, kill a booner. Oh, extra gas, not ethonal. LOL.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I forgot. I always carry a spare air filter now. I was on an antelope hunt in Nevada, south of Battle Mountain. That was the dustiest place I've ever been, except for over in eastern Modoc.

If nothing else, your truck will appriciate a new clean filter for the drive home.

Eel

Bring at least a shovel and a chain or tow rope or whatever just in case.... Seems like most people learn this lesson the hard way. Cell phone with a charger is a must too.

shovel, handyman jack, 2 good spare tires with air of course, small tool kit should be in the truck at all times even when not gone hunting.....

I just fuel up and go....

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Well You gotta realize!

CUPSY'S Truck already has everything in it at all times!:D

Except a Tranny,well maybe there's a Tranny named Allison in it too!:D

For "GOSH" Sakes,We got "TARDS" on this Site that can't handle a Damn,I Mean DANG thing,maybe MM should add a Church/Biblical Forum for the MM'ers that can't handle the Hunting Forums?
Pfffffffffff............!!!

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Bbop! I just assumed D13er owned a Toyota!:eek:

Eel

My goodness gracious, we got kids on this site. some of them (Kilo) are over 65.

If you're driving a nissan upgrade to a Dodge.

If you're driving a Dodge, upgrade to a Toyota.

If you're driving a Toyota, upgrade to a GM.

If you're drivign a GM, upgrade to a Ford.

Just one of these simple upgrades will get you there & back.... unless of course you're starting at step 1.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom