Pres. Bush wants to sell National Forest Land

F

ford_boy

I just read where the president wants to sell some small parcels of land in many of the states. Most of all of the western states. The info is on the USFS website. Looks like its time to crank up the phones to our "representatives" in Washington.

HE WANTS TO CHARGE US 5.00-6.00 DOLLARS PER GALLON FOR FUEL TO PAY FOR THIS CHICKEN#### FRICKEN WAR TOO!!!

HE CAN KISS MY TAIL!!!

YOU'RE GOING TO SEE THIS COUNTRY CHANGE IN A BIG WAY!!!

OUR GOVERNMENT IS BROKE BUT WON'T ADMIT IT???

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHICH PRESIDENT DONE THE MOST DAMAGE TO THE DEFICIT IN THE SHORTEST TIME,LETS SEE THIS IS A NO BRAINER!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING WHEN THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE GOING TO COWBOY-UP???

Have to agree with you bobcat. In fact just today I switched half of my retirement money from U.S. stocks to an international mutual fund, as I feel foreign countries' economies are much more secure than ours. Our government just keeps printing more money and there's no end in sight. Now they want to make up for the deficit by selling our public lands. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse!

if we want to save the future of hunting we have to let the present day politicians know they will not be allowed in this here democracy to sell off our public lands or they will be fired...we need to preserve public land so we and our grandkids can hunt...we can preserve public lands and provide jobs too..this is America...we can find a way...happytohunt...does this resemble a rant/I HOPE SO

Didn't Reagan want to do the same thing, but called it the Sagebrush Rebellion?

AWOL is the biggest friggen loser on the planet. And to think he wanted all Sportsmen and gun owners to vote for him. What a ****ing joke! Again, I'm glad I didn't vote for him either time.

I too noticed he slipped the selling of public land into the budget.

As for our debt, very little research is required to see who's done the damage.

How some people can say with a straight face that Dubya is a fiscal convervative is beyond me.

Bush is spending like a drunk democrat. This prescription coverage for seniors will break the bank. It'll be trillions and trillions and will get bigger and bigger. It'll make Iraq spending look like pennies.

I've been a registered republican for a long time, but enough is enough. The democrats have more than their share of idiots, but this moron is destroying our country. He finance's a war with money we don't have and then he proposes to sell off public lands to generate revenue. If this passes I'll be very sorry I voted for this dumb azz. You folks better start bombing your elected congressional representatives with letters and emails or this may very well be the tip of the ice berg.

Maybe AWOL is onto something. First we should log, then drill, then strip mine, then develop with ski resorts and golf courses all on the same pieces of land over time. Provided we could get anything to grow after mining. Just think of the things we could buy with all those uses of our Public land. Forget hunting, there's no REAL money in it.

On a more serious note. I wouldn't mind paying $100 for lifetime use of our public lands or some other small fee. There are a tremendous amount of people using Public land and it would generate a tremendous amount of money FOREVER. We all register to drive vehicles, maybe we should all register to use Public lands. Selling it outright is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. But I wouldn't expect anything less from AWOL.

This is something else isn't it. the democrats want to take your guns and the republicans want to sell the land you could use it on, you can't win. this stupid elective war is going to ruin us if we don't get a handle on it I agree. I'm a farmer and the republicans have never been a friend of the farmer so now one more reson for me to vote against them. only thing is look at the democrat front runner, Hillary Clinton, wholy crap we're screwed either way!

>This is something else isn't it.
>the democrats want to take
>your guns and the republicans
>want to sell the land
>you could use it on,
>you can't win. only thing is
>look at the democrat front
>runner, Hillary Clinton, wholy crap
>we're screwed either way!

Well, I think we're screwed one way worse than the other. While I think GWB is too middle of the road in a lot of ways, I still have my guns and my rights to hunt, and he and the republicans are the strength and the votes behind it. That's a fact.

While I don't think I'd agree with at least the sound of this proposal to sell NF lands, I'd always vote to take the lesser of the two evils (losing lands or losing your hunting rights and firearms). I'd rather lose a little land than lose my firearms, cause then it don't matter how much land you have access to, you can't do squat with it.

Here's a real winner........out here in So. Calif., they charge a fee to us to park offroad in National forests. The Forest service requires that we purchase an "adventure pass" for $30/year or $5/day simply to park your vehicle anywhere in the Cleavland, Los Padres, San Bernadino or Angeles National forests (in other words, all the forests in So. Calif)!!! You should've seen the jaws drop when Scottyboy and his friend came out here last month to hunt quail and I handed them a pass to put on their windshield. I got a big ol, "WTF?"..............I spoke to two congresswomen last year about repealing this fee, they said they were working on it, but later, a bill to do that never made it out of a committee reviewing it. Once the gov gets a few bucks, they're addicted......

As far as losing land, I'd like to ask this........What the heck is going on in Southern Utah with the Forest Service installing those green gates (with locks) to close access to a lot of old logging roads? Two years ago I noticed that some of the old roads we'd take were both gated AND someone with heavy equipment put huge berms up the roads to block access!!! That's pure B.S.!!!!!!!

There was an article in today's local paper here in Northern CA.

As part of President Bush's proposed 2007 budget, national forests in Northern California would sell off 42,000 acres to meet payment obligations to rural schools.

Six Rivers National Forest could shed nearly 2,500 acres under the proposal, and about 33,000 acres of the Klamath National Forest could be sold. They are lands the U.S. Forest Service is calling isolated or unconnected to larger tracts of public land.

It's part of a 5-year, $800 million plan to shore payments for rural schools that have seen budgets deteriorate for lack of timber revenues on public forests. The budget proposal must still go to Congress.

Six Rivers spokeswoman Peggi Lawrence said many of the parcels were there when the forest was created in 1947. Some plots might be more valuable than others depending on their proximity to roads and infrastructure, she said. The sales could consolidate lands for more efficient management, Lawrence said.

The bulk of Northern California lands proposed for sale are in the Klamath National Forest. Many are checkerboard holdings mixed with private lands on either side of the Interstate 5 corridor.

Wilderness and wild and scenic lands were excluded from consideration, said Klamath National Forest spokeswoman Judy McHugh.

?It's really areas isolated from the main bulk of the forest,? McHugh said.

The official list of lands will be published in the federal register on Feb. 28.

End of article. Now my turn!

Now it seems to me that at least these lands will now fall into private hands. The forests will be able to be logged under current forest practices regulations which will benefit the wildlife and be beneficial to the forests. For those of you who don't know trees are Americas renewable resourse.Our government is too stupid or it's bleeding hearts citizens are too brain washed to understand this fact.

I would just as soon keep the lands public but if we're too ignorant to manage them properly then sell them off! The money will go to rural schools, as obligated.

Steve

Regarding the Green Gates: The Targhee national forest in Eastern Idaho was heavily "gated" several years ago amid major protests from nearly everyone. They dug huge tank traps on some of the roads that could have caused severe injury to anyone snowmobiling or four-wheeing. In spite of protests, most of the former logging roads remain closed to this day. Some of the tank-traps have been filled in. The long and short of this is that it has restricted much access to public land. On the flip side it has been (was) very good for the wildlife. The wildlife herds began to rebound and now grizzlies and wolves are taking them down again. So there's little access and little wildlife and lots of grizzlies and wolves that you can't hunt or protect yourself against.
I am adamantly opposed to selling any public lands. I'll make my position known to my legislators. Overall, though I think we are on a losing course. I also think that both sides of our political spectrum are in serious need of overhaul. Let's fix it before it's too late.

I'm sort of amused. This is nothing new. The selling of public lands by the USFS and BLM has been federal policy since the mid-70's. It has been the policy of the federal goverment to sell or trade isolated parcels and lands along their perimeter and to try to acquire inholdings and private lands around their perimeter to black up federal lands for more efficient management or for lands that had unique values.

In my former life I reviewed dozens of propoals (generally degative declarations) over a 20 year period.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

WHAT eelgrass STATED MIGHT BE TRUE!!!

BUT I TOTALLY DISAGREE!!!

SAYING THE MONEY WILL GO TOWARDS SCHOOLS IS LIKE THE TREEHUGGERS & ANTI-GUNNERS TRYING TO TAKE BEAR & LION SEASON FIRST BECAUSE IT'S THE EASIEST ROUTE!!!

THERE ARE TAX'S FOR SCHOOLS!!!

HAS BEEN!!!

AND ALWAYS WILL BE!!!

I WONDER HOW 'LITTLE GEORGE' WOULD LIKE IT IF SOMEBODY STEPPED IN & TOOK HIS PROPERTY???

THEY CAN MAKE ALL THE EXCUSES THEY WANT!!!

THEY ARE BROKE & WON'T ADMIT IT!!!

MARK MY WORD,WE'RE IN FOR SOME SERIOUS #### FROM HERE ON OUT!!!

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THE DEFICIT WAS AS 'LITTLE GEORGE' CAME IN & WHAT IT IS NOW???

YOU MIGHT WANT TO WAKE THE HELL UP,YA,COWBOY UP & SEE WHERE THIS COUNTRY IS HEADED!!!

IF YOU BELIEVE FOR A MINUTE SELLING ALL THE PUBLIC GROUND CAN PAY FOR ALL OUR GOVERNMENTS EXPENDITURES YOU ARE VERY,VERY WRONG!!!

EVEN IF IT WOULD IT WOULD BE A VERY SHORT TIME FIX ANYWAY!!!

THAT 'SCHOOL' EXCUSE AIN'T CUTTING IT WITH ME,BUT I GUESS YOU CAN BULLSHIT THE AVERAGE JOE VERY EASILY,WHAT A FRICKEN JOKE!!!

THE ONLY bobcat ABOUT TO GO POSTAL!!!

BY THE WAY 'LITTLE GEORGE'!!!

KISS MY TAIL!!!

THE ONLY bobcat LOOKING FOR ANOTHER PRESIDENT WITH MORE COMMON SENSE THAN THAT!!!

Bobcat, sometimes I don't know where you're coming from but you hit the nail on the head this time.

huntindude!!!

I COME FROM THE COVETED,OVERHUNTED,ORANGE EVERYWHERE COME OCT 20TH N.E. REGION!!!

I COME FROM 'THE MORE I THINK ABOUT THE SITUATION' THE MORE AGGITATED I GET!!!

THIS COUNTRY IS IN TROUBLE & MOST PEOPLE ARE SITTING BACK LIKE IT'S ALL PEACHES & CREAM!!!

I THINK MOST PEOPLE NOW DAYS ARE JUST LIVING FOR THE MINUTE THINKING WE'LL WORRY ABOUT TOMMORROW,TOMMORROW!!!

THE ONLY bobcat HOPEING WHEN TIMES GET SERIOUS WE CAN STILL KICK SOME TAIL LIKE AMERICA IS KNOWN FOR!!!

Ok,
Here is my take.
I've always voted Republican to protect my hunting heritage.
Over the years I've been accused of being too far to the right.
Well, with Bush's latest proposals, regarding closing salmon and steelhead hatcheries, and now the selling of MY national forest land, well i've just about had it!
I'm just a working class dude and I'm becoming much more moderate in my political views.
I'm a fiscal conservative and Bush is spending like a drunken sailor in a whorehouse!
I think the working class moderates need to leave the radical liberals and the ultra rich Republicans behind in their respective parties.
This country needs a national moderate party that will protect the environment, defend gun rights and hunting & fishing and allow working families to succeed.
I think that anyone that follows either the Republican or the Democratic parties in absolute lockstep is a tool.
Unfortunatley the radical ends of both parties seem to be controlling the direction of each party.
I wish there was a sensible alternative.
I feel betrayed in all directions!
HH

I would rather Bush do this than create more National Monuments like Clinton did. Clintons monuments only allowed hunting because they were so unpopular with the communities they affected. They are MONUMENTS now with special rules to allow hunting that will be changed to the traditional monument rules at the first opportunity or Hillary, which ever is first.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

WAKE THE HELL UP D-CUP!!!

IT'S NOT A 'RATHER THIS' OR 'RATHER THAT'!!!

IT'S TIME WE STAND UP FOR OUR AMERICAN RIGHTS & NOT LET YOUR BUDDY BUSH DO AS HE PLEASES JUST TO JUSTIFY HIS GREED!!!

WE CAN'T AFFORD HIS TACTICS IN MANY WAYS,CAN YOU SEE THE LIGHT???

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING IT MUST NOT BE VERY HARD TO BRAINWASH MOST PEOPLE THESE DAYS!!!

If anyone thinks 20-50,000 acres per per year per just per USFS region being sold sold off is not a big deal, then equate it to erosion, over a number of years, and what do our grandkids have as far as public lands to hunt and fish. This on the heels of sportsmen all across America rising up to help defeat the Rep. Pomobo language in the federal Budget Reconciliation Bill in December 2005 that would have had the same effect (sell off of federal lands), plus Republican Colorado Rep. Tancredo with his bill still technically alive that would have essentially done the same, his excuse to bail out hurricane Katrina. We tell all of them, 'Our federal lands are not for sale'.

When will sportsmen get it that the Republicans in Washington have their own agenda, don't care what ordinary Americans or for that matter sportsmen think, and that they would see wisdom in the U.S. having fewer federal lands. Also, for years now the USFS has nurtured and accepted the public to help keep proper perspective on how the forest service management plan plays out. Since Bush Jr.took over the reins, the public scrutiny of USFS has been de-emphasized and circumvented.

Every sportsmen in America needs write his letter direct to his or her U.S. Senators and Representatives about your outrage as to the agenda to sell off our federal lands. USFS is muzzled, and BLM is too. The agenda is in Washington hunters.

We in Colorado are still circling the wagons on this, yet rest assured we will in the ways we can make our outrage known. We did it before, and we will do it again. You should too. This is a no brainer for all U.S. sportsmen.

Bobcat, it has always been part of the deal. Some of the proceeds from logging on Forest service land go to the schools in the counties. I didn't make it up. Don't blame a poor turtle hunter! I was just quoting the newspaper article.

But I do agree with you about never being able to get enough money to satisfy the government! As an example, you could give the smallest school district in your state $14 billion per year and within 3 years they would have to have a bake sale to buy chalk for their blackboard! And that's just the schools. Hundreds of other government agencies, same thing!

The only point I was making was if we managed our National Forests correctly we could have jobs (and all the taxes paid from those jobs), sustainable trees and income, great hunting and habitat. I am not saying log it all. Some places need to be left alone! I get that too.

Just my opinion based on what I have lived my whole life in the Pacific Northwest!

Steve

steve!!!

THINK ABOUT IT!!!

BUSH'S FIASCO IN IRAQ!!!

OUR OWN FIASCO KATRINA,WE CAN'T EVEN TAKE CARE OF OUR OWN PROBLEMS!!!

BUSH SCREWING WITH THE SALMON FISHING!!!

BUSH WANTING TO SELL PUBLIC GROUND!!!

THE NEXT THING,HE'LL WANT TO OUTLAW TORTISE HUNTING,OUCH!!!

I NEVER CLAIMED YOU MADE ANYTHING UP,I JUST DON'T AGREE WITH ALL THAT WAS TYPED & I KNOW IT DIDN'T ALL COME FROM YOU!!!

THE U.S.A. CAN NOT FIX ALL THE PROBLEMS IN THE WORLD,DO WE UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER???

THE ONLY bobcat SUGGESTING TO TAKE CARE OF PROBLEMS WHEN WE HAVE TO WITH THE MOST MINIMAL LOSS OF AMERICAN LIFE POSSIBLE,IT MIGHT ENTALE A FEW FLY-OVERS,OH WELL!!!

Try these numbers for acreages of just the USFS lands Bush intends to sell:

Region 1
Idaho 11,070
Montana 13,948
Total 25,018

Region 2
Colorado 21,572
Wyoming 16,770
S. Dakota 13,961
Nebraska 360
Total 52,672

Region 3
Arizona 1,030
New Mexico 7,447
Oklahoma 3,572
Texas 400
Total 12,449

Region 4

Idaho (again) 15,124
Nevada 2,782
Utah 5,398
Wyoming (again) 880
Region Total 24,184

Region 5
California 85,465 (wow!!)

Region 6
Oregon 10,581
Washington 7,516
Region Total 18,097

U.S. (total) 308,628 acres

Source: Wilderness Society

The sources I talk to tell me this outrageous proposed sale is (a) fast moving, and (b) designed to not encorporate much public awareness or public debate. The identification of lands involved may already be far along.

If one hunts or does not hunt public lands, public lands are the backbone of hunting heritage. As my earlier post said, write your U.S. Senators and U.S. Representatives, then get your local outdoors writer for your newspapers to write a column, then stay tuned. The agenda to lower the level of our federal lands is unfortuntely alive and well in Washington.

That's not really very much.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

D-CUP!!!

NO,YOU CAN SIT BACK WITH YOUR TEETH IN YOUR MOUTH & WATCH IT DISSAPEAR!!!

THE MORE YOU POST THE MORE I KNOW YOU'RE A LEFT WINGER!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING IF YOU CAN POST SOME MORE FUNNIES???

>
>D-CUP!!!
>
>NO,YOU CAN SIT BACK WITH YOUR
>TEETH IN YOUR MOUTH &
>WATCH IT DISSAPEAR!!!
>
>THE MORE YOU POST THE MORE
>I KNOW YOU'RE A LEFT
>WINGER!!!
>
>THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING IF YOU
>CAN POST SOME MORE FUNNIES???
>
He's not a left winger. He's a very far right winger supporting Bush's proposal on the matter. Another group that will likely be supporting Bush on this are the anti hunters. Less land to hunt will eventually lead to fewer hunters and less political strength within the hunting community...

OK Bobcat you convinced me! I let my personal feelings get in the way! Let's let Bush sell off his ranch in Texas first and then we'll talk about public lands!

Steve

if theodore roosevelt had chosen to sell off our public lands where would the working class hunter be hunting today...happytohunt

steve!!!

RIGHT ON!!!

BUT I'LL BET IT NEVER HAPPENS LIKE THAT!!!

I'M NOT DIRECTING THIS AT JUST eelgrass!!!

BUT IF THEY GET THEIR FOOT IN THE DOOR THEY WON'T STOP UNTIL ALL PUBLIC LANDS ARE SOLD!!!

KINDA LIKE THE ANTI-HUNTERS,ANTI-GUNNERS!!!

THE ONLY bobcat KNOWING FOR A FACT OUR GOVERNMENT IS BROKE,THEY WON'T ADMIT IT,HELL LETS JUST SELL SOME PUBLIC GROUND & PRINT SOME MORE GREENBACK THAT OUGHT TO FIX THINGS FOR TODAY,WE'LL DEAL WITH TOMMORROW WHEN TOMMORROW GETS HERE!!!

MNHunter!!!

THATS KINDA WHAT I'M GETTING AT!!!

BUT READ POST # 26!!!

TO MANY PEOPLE LIKE D-CUP SITTING BACK THINKING,OH IT'S NO BIG DEAL!!!

IT'S NOT RIGHT NOW,BUT LET IT HAPPEN & ITS A BIG DEAL LATER WHEN ITS TOO LATE!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING IF YOU BOYS ARE GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT OR JUST SIT BACK WITH YOUR TEETH IN YOUR MOUTH???

Just the USFS acreage proposed to be sold off in Colorado amounts to 30 square miles. That mass of land is larger than the general area I have over the past 5 decades hunted near Gunnison. The sold acreage could be your 'honey hole' hunters, make no mistake about it.

Now take the total U.S. forest service lands(this does not include BLM lands that too might be sold) Bush intends to sell and it comes in at 430 square miles. Not a small piece of heaven.

Hunters that is one whale of alot of real estate, plus more than just land it is the guarantee of hunting and fishing and other recreational access Americans have, in the great outdoors.

Then for some whom do not see the forest for the trees, take 430 sq. miles of USFS at risk of going private, then multiply that X 50 years, and see what America could stand to lose over time. Then remember every acre sold from USFS will never again be open to the at large public.

If you do nothing else politically in 2006, get active and send your letters, call your U.S. legislators, then back the sportsman organizations whom will representing the average hunter in America in reversing this liquidation of public lands, the poor excuse being to help balance the budget.

The Bush administration is doing another DOOH NIBOR, Give to the Rich take from the Poor.

The article that I read said that most of the land was close to developed areas. I have only been out west 5 or 6 times, and I didn't see a lot of development where I was. If we don't come together on this and spread the word to our fellow hunters then this will pass and ten years from now they will want to sell some more land that is close to developed areas. Right. The ones that shouldn't have ben sold to start with.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The government may waive up to $7 billion in royalty payments from companies pumping oil and natural gas on federal territory in the next five years, the New York Times reported on Tuesday, citing administration officials and budget documents.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom