Private Landowners keeping the kill

Ms J

Finally found the most beautiful bull Elk and took the shot. Adrenaline took it over the fence and onto private property. After calling FWP they agreed everything was by the books, but the landowner decided to keep it for themselves. I get they have that right, but seriously. Is that what most landowners do??

The landowner can deny you access, but they can not keep the bull.
Run into your situation from time to time. Usually I tag along and help with the retrieval. If the hunter is uneasy with me tagging along it is usually time to call the warden.

No, most LOs will not do that.
Sounds like they have had issues in the past and unfortunately you had to deal with the consequences.

yotebuster made good points, sometimes you have to just let them go that close to private. Really a bummer to hear though.
High shoulder shot may have disabled him on the spot but who really knows.

Had this happen just yesterday. I spotted two hunters walking in some Sage just inside of the BLM line. There is no fence, but with OnX they were staying on Public. I drove out there in my side side to see what was happening. Said one hunter had shot a nice buck the night before and he went down in the sage. They couldn't find him that night and came back in the morning to look. The other hunter shot another small buck in the same place in the morning. It was laying just up the hill on BLM. I told the guy lets get the little buck in the side by side and the other guy to go a head and look for the other buck on the private. They couldn't believe I was willing to drive the buck across private for them. Solid mile over rough county if you stay on BLM. The other guy didn't find the other buck in the short time looking.but we got lucky driving out and almost drove over him on the way out. Maybe 100 yards onto private. Nice buck too. Hunter was ecstatic

Had this happen just yesterday. I spotted two hunters walking in some Sage just inside of the BLM line. There is no fence, but with OnX they were staying on Public. I drove out there in my side side to see what was happening. Said one hunter had shot a nice buck the night before and he went down in the sage. They couldn't find him that night and came back in the morning to look. The other hunter shot another small buck in the same place in the morning. It was laying just up the hill on BLM. I told the guy lets get the little buck in the side by side and the other guy to go a head and look for the other buck on the private. They couldn't believe I was willing to drive the buck across private for them. Solid mile over rough county if you stay on BLM. The other guy didn't find the other buck in the short time looking.but we got lucky driving out and almost drove over him on the way out. Maybe 100 yards onto private. Nice buck too. Hunter was ecstatic
Good on ya!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom