Pronghorn question

muzzhunter

I am thinking about cashing in my points this year for a speed goat hunt, but I'm wondering how they are doing. I have heard about drought in some areas and recent winter kill in others. I don't want to burn my points if they are not in good shape. I was contemplating 57,58,60 or 61. How are they looking in these areas? Are there other areas I should consider instead? I just hate to burn them in a bad year.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-23-14 AT 12:20PM (MST)[p]The biggest problem in trying to answer a question such as yours is not knowing what the weather will be in the future. If a herd is doing great or even so so like some are now and you decide to wait a year, what happens if the weather is then the worst in decades and wipes them out! IMHO, at least for antelope that you're talking about, I would apply with your PPs this year in a decent unit you can draw and take that future weather chance out of play.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-23-14 AT 01:28PM (MST)[p]You may want save your points. Topgun is kind of correct about the future weather. The bad thing is, its been a hard winter hear already. If we get some heavy spring snows, that is when we lose the antelope. Which is around the time for you to apply. And the antelope numbers are already way down! So watch the weather here this March and April. Its always a risk.

I would disagree with wyohntr. Winter has been very mild in sw Wy. We have only had 2 sub-zero stretches this winter, which is very mild for this part of the country. If you have max points, any of those units could produce a great pronghorn for you. Although it's true that March/ April storms combined with a cold snap can kill some critters, that usually only happens when we have had a cold winter with lots of snow leading up to March. We simply haven't had that. Also, we had great late summer/early fall moisture which put the animals in great condition going into winter.

I haven't been watching the antelope this winter, but I have made annual trips to the deer winter ranges for the past 20-25 years. I can't remember a winter where the deer have looked as good as they do this winter; this late. And that's up north where there is more snow and it's much colder. If the deer are any indicator of how the antelope are faring, this could be an awesome year for horns. Of course, that's just the way I see it. I could be wrong...

It's about 45 degrees outside right now in Rock Springs. The next 10 days don't show a significant drop in temps; or significant snow. In fact, rain is in the 10 day forecast!

Who knows what next winter will be like...

I agree with nontypical, its not been a bad winter IMO.

I'd say hunt now, and get on with building points again. The key to hitting the best years is to hunt more often.

IMO, even on the best years, your odds of finding a B&C pronghorn are never that good. I dont believe they are that much worse in "bad" weather years.

Its much more important knowing what you're looking at and being able to judge them...and thats not as easy as most people think.

Glad to hear the weather has been good and that the deer you're seeing are in good shape. They sure need a break or two and maybe this year is the start of a decent recovery period. Like BuzzH said, judging pronghorns IMHO is as hard as any game animal there is because of the way they are scored.

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. Are any of those units better than the others? Buzz I like your advise on hunting more often. I'll give it a go this year and hopefully be able to pull a tag.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom