PSE Maddness XS

Flores425

Set up :
PSE Maddness XS / Whisker biscut
60lbs
27DL
325grain including 85gr field tip GT arrows
245fps
I bought the bow because i shot ever bow in the pro shop from Mathews$1000 set up and PSE set ups . This bow felt great and shot great so I bought shot on scene. I paid $499plus all the goodies where extra. Iam really pleased to shoot the bow and told myself that speed wasnt going to be a factor. I read all day and night about the "speed freak" that every bowhunter has inside of them. But I lied to myself and said, i dont have that bone in my body for speed. Well, today I was shooting at same pro shop and some buddies were there shooting Mathew XD and Reezen and other models I was the only one with a PSE maddness. I shoot really well on targets at 20yrds all really close. Other guys were stuggling to pull theirs back and I laughed to myself but when they came out with Chrongraph, i was shocked. My bow was 245fps not even close to some of the other bows(the slowest was a old Ross and it was 288fps) PSE said 30inch 70# 316fps. Factor my small draw is this right? I bought the bow cuz I wanted an Deer/Elk rig. I think it will be great on deer. But what about an Elk at lets say 45-50yrds will it be enough??? Sorry for long story

Are your arrows 325 grains with the field tips, or are they 325grains + field tips. If they're 325 grains all in, this means your Kinetic Energy is at about 43.3 Ft-Lbs which should be enough for an elk out to 50 yds. If you are unhappy with your speed, crank your bow up to 65 lbs and see how you like it. Cranking it up a bit should put you in the 250-260 FPS range, and that will be plenty, especially with a well placed shot. There's a bunch of knowledge on this site, I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions. Good Luck hope everything works out for you.

I have killed several elk at 35 yds or so with a 53# longbow shooting about 190 fps. Put a 2 blade broadhead on the arrow and hit them broadside in the lungs, the arrow will go all the way through and they'll go down.

You won't have any problem with that bow killing deer or elk. I would suggest turning it up to 65 pounds if you can. The extra KE will help a great deal.

Jared "J-Rod" Bloomgren

www.myspace.com/jaredbloomgren
http://www.camospace.com/Bloomgren

"Getting close to game undetected and maintaining self control while delivering a well placed shot are the true keys to bowhunting success." -M.R.James

It is more than enough. I have this bow. There was a video on youtube of a guy taking an Alaskan Brown Bear with a 2008 Thunderbolt X which is basically the same bow as what you have.
My bow is set at 70#. Shooting 300 grain arrows with 125 grain tips, my bow shoots around 290fps. I have a 29 inch draw.
This bow has a big advantage over most of the speed bows because of its size. Horseback hunts or thick brush are where my bow shines. I spot and stalk whitetails in the thick brush and sling my bow over my shoulder while hunting elk horseback. I have very little trouble snagging my bow on anything and its light. Combine these features with a very smooth draw and its a game killing son-of-a-gun. It's easy to get hung up on speed. DON'T CAVE IN. Just continue with what your confident with and you will be successful.
If you do want to make 50+ yard shots, I would recommend gradually increasing the draw weight on your bow as much as you can.
Good luck. That is a great bow.

There's something wrong with those numbers. If you are truly shooting 60 lbs and a 325 grain arrow the speed should be higher than that. You should be seeing 260 or so with that arrow, lbs. and draw length. I would suggest haveing someone else look your rig over to see what is up. Getting the timing and tune perfect can be worth 15 to 20 fps.

Cheers,
Pete

Sorry, I didn't notice that it has a whisker biscut on there. Those will take a minimum of 5 fps and way more if they are not tuned perfectly. I think you'll find quite a bit of speed by working around that right there.

Cheers,
Pete

I shoot the same bow but when it first came out it was the firestorm X. It is a couple of years old but basically the same bow. I shoot 70 pounds , 29 inch draw with PSE carbon 300's. A 100 grain tip and it shoots over 290 fps. Not the fastest bow but very accurate and forgiving. I like a drop away rest. Your set up should be plenty for anything you want to hunt. A sharp broadhead and arrow placement is the key.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-09 AT 10:32AM (MST)[p]Very good point. I forgot about that. I shoot a Ripcord rest. WB's are functional, but with all that friction, arrows will slow down. I work right across the street from Keith the owner of Ripcord and I know his customer service is second to none.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom