Public Lands Rally

Finn

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-15 AT 10:47PM (MST)[p]When I first heard about Utah's desire to take control of our federal lands, I just laughed it off. But now our legislature is working to spend our money to hire lawyers to file the suit and a few members of Congress have made sympathetic proposals.

I've spoken to a couple members of our state legislature. They're under the impression that Utah hunters and anglers support this land transfer. I don't know where they got that idea, but I can guess. They're sadly mistaken.

Please come out and let Utah politicians (and everybody else) know that Utah's hunters and anglers don't support the state's misguided ambition to take control of our public lands. Bill Christensen, Regional Director for the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, will be our voice among the many speakers from diverse stakeholder groups. Let's support his voice by making a strong and visible presence. Please wear camo!

Every area and situation is different. But around here the state land is far better managed than the BLM. I'd much rather see the state take over control of everything around here. I know that runs the risk of the state selling out to private. But with the amount of ground the BLM is closing it's damn near the same.

Wiskeydog, give us one example of the BLM closing lands to hunting. Where and how many acres? How about one example where the BLM has recently sold lands which now are housing developments.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll do everything I can to be there.

I also have written two letters each to my Representative and Senator.

This land-grab is the worst possible thing that could happen to hunters, anglers, and people that love the outdoors.

With all due respect WhiskeyDog, you couldn't be more wrong. I am not going to take the time to explain why right now but if you want to learn more about real-life numbers and facts, there is plenty of reading on hunting websites and forums that will make it clear why hunters should rabidly fight this bill.

If my great-grandkids are not hunting elk in the State of Utah decades from now, it will be because the Transfer of Public Lands bill passed. No other threat is as big of a danger than this bill. And this is because there are too many horses on BLM? Really?

The fact that I have not seen SFW speak against this proposal with the veracity that they have fought wolves and other issues is very telling to me. Why is SFW not holding a hunter rally at the Capitol? Why have I not received a single email with a form to "Contact my Legislator" and tell them hunters oppose the Land Grab? Their silence is deafening.

Thankfully we have RMEF to watch out for hunters.

Grizzly

Oops. Don't know what happened to the original image, but here it is again.

I have to admit, I'm astounded by the silence. Backcountry Hunters and Anglers (my crew) has been against this nonsense from day one. Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, always in the lead, has done likewise. While several others have come out against state management as national organizations, the Utah chapters seem reluctant. Why is that?

Where does your organization stand?

Bear in mind, there is no going back. The most positive projections offered to date indicate that state control could only succeed if gas prices remain incredibly high. So, betting on state control is betting against U.S. production (which helps keep gas prices low) and supporting higher gas prices?

Bottom line is that we're talking about privatization of the public lands we have enjoyed and assume will be passed on to the generations to follow. Fact is, private land owners aren't bound to "multiple use" mandates. Very few buy land to protect wildlife and preserve hunting and fishing traditions.

Y'all think real estate developers like Ken Ivory give a tinker's damn about wildlife, hunting and fishing?

Never thought I'd see the day when outdoors folk would step in line behind developers. Must be gettin' old.

Meantime, I know a lot of us individuals are smart enough to recognize a pig in a poke. So please come out and support this rally. It would be a gawddam embarrassment if the greenies were the only people cheering for Bill at the rally.

Wear some camo and be there!

it is a GUARANTEE that Utah would sell off some of this land to private owners and it would end up as a CWMU or a another case of a small parcel blocking access to thousands of acres. Utahs track record of giving special treatment to private landowners and allowing them to rape and pilage our wildlife is a known factor that I would not want to see expanded by more land tranfered to allow them a greater grasp of blocking out public hunters.

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

Really have mixed fillings on this one. Part of me hates the BLM closing roads that have been open for longer then I can remember, however at the same time at least I have access to the land.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

They aren't closing lands, they are closing access to land. Take a look at the entire south face of the book cliffs in comparison to 10-20-40 years ago. Or all of southeastern Utah for that matter. The way they are trending, before long you'll have to walk or horseback from I-70 to access the south Books. I'm not for having roads everywhere, and I like to get away from crowds as much as the next guy. But there's also a point of access closure that makes it unpractical for the majority of the public to in any way use the land. The BLM around here has spend far more money on signs to close roads than they have on actually doing something to benefit the lands.

Your response was expected. The BLM isn't selling the lands, but they have changed the way we access them. The State politicians pushing for the the transfer of public lands have already stated they will sell some of the lands. Walk-in access or no access: which would you choose?

There is no way in this world the State can maintain the Federal public lands. Fire suppression, fire rehabilitation, habitat work, public camping areas, restrooms, roads, trails, law enforcement, etc. No way can the State can handle all the issues that come with taking over all public lands. They can take care of 50% of it if they sell the other 50%. Will they sell the places you love to visit?

>They aren't closing lands, they are
>closing access to land. Take
>a look at the entire
>south face of the book
>cliffs in comparison to 10-20-40
>years ago. Or all of
>southeastern Utah for that matter.
>The way they are trending,
>before long you'll have to
>walk or horseback from I-70
>to access the south Books.
>I'm not for having roads
>everywhere, and I like to
>get away from crowds as
>much as the next guy.
>But there's also a point
>of access closure that makes
>it unpractical for the majority
>of the public to in
>any way use the land.
>The BLM around here has
>spend far more money on
>signs to close roads than
>they have on actually doing
>something to benefit the lands.
>

One fact that has been established is that the State of Utah will sell of lands that they have. That being said, I put 3000 miles on my SUV a year, some fishing, some hunt, and some sight seeing and have run on to a lot of visitors to our state from back East (Maryland, Virginia, Georgia, Kansas, etc, etc.). They all say the same thing: Be glad so much of Utah is owned by the federal government. They have a hard time finding any place to ride in the mountains with their ATV's, jeep, etc. It is all closed off to public use and that that isn't is so crowded you might as well stay home.

As I said in another blog I am Republican thru and thru, but this issue trumps party lines. The answers I have received from several politicians is that they do not agree with me. Show me a Democrat that agrees with me on this issue and I will vote for them.

>One fact that has been established
>is that the State of
>Utah will sell of lands
>that they have. That
>being said, I put 3000
>miles on my SUV a
>year, some fishing, some hunt,
>and some sight seeing and
>have run on to a
>lot of visitors to our
>state from back East (Maryland,
>Virginia, Georgia, Kansas, etc, etc.).
> They all say the
>same thing: Be glad
>so much of Utah is
>owned by the federal government.
> They have a hard
>time finding any place to
>ride in the mountains with
>their ATV's, jeep, etc.
>It is all closed off
>to public use and that
>that isn't is so crowded
>you might as well stay
>home.
>
>As I said in another blog
>I am Republican thru and
>thru, but this issue trumps
>party lines. The answers
>I have received from several
>politicians is that they do
>not agree with me.
>Show me a Democrat that
>agrees with me on this
>issue and I will vote
>for them.

+1

Grizzly

Aren't political parties supposed to serve us rather than the other way around?

As I talk with hunters around the state, I'm noticing that many take this as a partisan issue. But I don't see it. It isn't about conservative vs. liberal or R vs. D. It's about 35 million acres.

I love to gamble, but these are some high stakes and even the states' own economic report indicates that for the state to turn a profit (without selling) would require the price of oil to run about $95 a barrel. What is it right now - $50 or so?

So supporting the public lands transfer means standing behind developers and energy extractors while praying for higher gas prices? Why would any hunter want to do that?

Let the state run the National parks?

Thats INSANE!!!!

Want one of many examples?

Doyle Moss, has unlimited access to Antelope island state park, he even has a key to the gate so he can drive his truck anywhere he wants to.
He does not have a tag to hunt there, he is no different than you or I.
Give the access to the tag owners, not the famous elite. Or, give it to everyone.

You go try to get that same access.

You won't believe the look on their faces when you ask for a key to the gate.

This state caters to special privilege.

Sell to the highest bidder, then spend the money on raises for the legislature.
Close off access to everyone except the famous and ultra wealthy.

Countless examples of things going to hell when the state takes over.

I dont agree with national parks being closed during budget crisis, but the state taking over is no guarantee that the same won't happen under their control.

Why do Utah folks love people like Jason Chavetez(whatever) ? The guy is a puke. Radical Mike Lee? I'm sure Mormons used to be better people than that, sad situation IMO.

Why do they vote for anti wildlife nuts from Elko county Nevada?
You should listen to our state representative from Sublette county Wy. I would have more luck in trying to change Hitler's mind on issues.
Why do we vote these people in? Because they have an R in front of their names?

I guess some people, especially hunters and outdoorsmen won't learn until its too late, that's one of the pitfalls of representative government.

>Why do Utah folks love people
>like Jason Chavetez(whatever) ?
> The guy is a
>puke. Radical Mike Lee?
>I'm sure Mormons used
>to be better people than
>that, sad situation IMO.
>
>Why do they vote for anti
>wildlife nuts from Elko county
>Nevada?
>You should listen to our state
>representative from Sublette county Wy.
>I would have more
>luck in trying to change
>Hitler's mind on issues.
> Why do we vote
>these people in? Because
>they have an R in
>front of their names?
>
>I guess some people, especially hunters
>and outdoorsmen won't learn until
>its too late, that's one
>of the pitfalls of representative
>government.

I don't want to see it either, but your rhetoric does not do a thing for me, if fact, it turns me off. Talk about a mind being shut tight and I kind of like the Tea Party boys. They might save our Constitution.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom