Question about Sheep

T

tageater

Have any of you hunted an area where they move the herds of sheep in and out over a couple of months? I was wondering how do the deer and elk take it? do they leave the area until the sheep move off, or do they hunker down? I'm just looking for a reason i haven't seen any of the bigger bucks that have been in the area over the last three years, this year the sheep have been in the area during the hunt. Just wondering?

I archery hunt deer and elk in CO on Forest Service lands. In my experience when the sheep move in the deer and elk move out. Maybe not way out but they will definately stay away from the sheep. Not sure if the presence of sheep are the main problem but the herd dogs and herders riding around on horseback whooping and hollaring spook the wildlife. These dogs will patrol the perimeter of the sheep and will chase wildlife. I witnessed on 2 seperate occasions last fall, the herd dogs chasing trophy mule deer bucks off the mountain. I reported this to the DOW and USFS to no avail. If you witness this please report, sooner or later things may change.

i hunt around hundreds of sheep and in the very general visinity of the sheep(withing a hundred yards) you wont see anything but once you get a half mile away, i have always found deer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom