Race in the Rubys.

ELKOHUNTER

Very Active Member
Due to the fact that more then two people want to do some sort of a Race/hike deal. I would like to hear some thoughts on the matter. Place, how much waight in packs stuff like that. I would like to see it take place in July myself. Sence this was your idea bootsie13 I would like to hear what you have in mind. If we do this right this could be an every year thing.

When the race is over. Meet back at the watering hole for a BBQ and some Gatorade?

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

true. muleys!

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

I havn't been to the rubys in 15 years, so this sounds like a great excuse for an adventure. I would think 30lbs is enough to keep people from running the whole way and takes its toll on your body. July should be fine, but late May would be interesting. Keep us all updated.

30-40lbs. To the top of Wines peak and back? To overland lake?

ELKOHUNTER- I will chime in when I get back into town. I hate typing on my phone but do have some good ideas I think everyone will like. I am in Maui. Life is tough. :)

You just had to put that "I am in Maui" part in diden't you!

I'm from E. Idaho and would no doubt drive the 7 hours to race in the Ruby's. I don't have a lot of experience there to know the trails you guys are mentioning but a hard 6-7 hour equivelent hike sounds about right. That way people who want to hike at a more leisurely pace could still participate and finish in daylight.

I think pro-rating the pack wt with the body wt would be good idea...mainly because I'm 155 lbs. Or else you could get credited minutes based off the lbs you pack.

End of June or July sounds good to me.. I should be in decent shape after running a March marathon in Vegas, April SLC marathon, and a few trail races in May/June.

The race would be fun but the best part would be the gathering afterwards.

Sound like alot of fun, but I always need 2 days to acclimate. I could camp on the trail at 11000 ft and serve lattees and crousants!

You guys figure out the rules and let me know. i have a week off starting the 18th of July to go to Colorado and look for a retirement home. Anytime before that and I'll be there.

Just got a foot of snow at my house this week so I guess it'll be snow shoeing for awhile yet.

Hunter

If you all really want to do this then I would be more then happy to structure it. With my new business in Elko I have over 12k emails for Elko county. We could make this a real event. I have connections in the Chamber that would love this. We can make different divisions based on age and then divide the age divisions into weighted and unweighted. Weighted runners must carry 25% of there body weight. We can have a starting point and a finishing point with a set turn around point! I like the idea of overland lake but the parking sucks there. Most likely would have to start from the turn around. I would even donate some funds to the winners and I have great relationships with business owners that would take part.. This could be a fun thing to do annually. We can call it " Runnin the Rubys"?

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/nv_hunter/nevadaanimatedhelmetwd2.gif[/IMG]

you might get resistance from locals if you tried to go up the more remote trails, like Overland. Liberty pass might be a little close, but not bad? , Wines pk would favor runners, Be careful about liability, broken ankles, heart attacks, ect. The forest service has to be involved if this gets promoted much, especially if you start going off maintained trails.

Yeah....there would have to be a release form.

nevadaanimatedhelmetwd2.gif

See what you started bootsie. Now everyone wants in on this. What do you think will happen after this? A promoted race to all these places in the top of the rubies. This whole thing is going south. Isn't this the exact thing you didn't want? Not saying this wouldn't be fun at all. I in fact would like to get involved, but think it is soo funny where all this is going. Not trying to tick anybody off at all. This whole post has went in the direction of getting a huge crowd going to check out all these remote places that everybody argued about in the first place. Like I said in the other post, I can find big bucks in alot of places in area 10, so it don't matter anyway. I probably won't be up there come hunting season anyways. People wanting to come for this big race because you guys got in this big macho argument. I do think it would be a fun competition. Just think it's funny where this ended up.

Waiver forms, liability, WTF? Who's gonna sue who???

Com'on. A bunch of guys getting together to run/hike the crest trail. It can be informal as heII.

Having a scale there to weigh the weighted hikers would be alright...........or the honor system. Not like we're racing for anything except bragging rights anyways.

The idea is great but IMO let's not make it too complicated.

Abe,
If that's what your after, why not just do the Angel Lake race in September? only difference is that its on pavement and not dirt.

I will be doing the Ruby crest Trail the third weekend in June, non stop, starting at Lamoille canyon just before dark. If any of you are interested, your more than welcome to join me, I plan on leaving my Mt. bike at Harrison pass and riding back to the turn around in Lamoille canyon, so you will need to make plans to get yourself back.

If you guys plan another hike Im in on that one as well.

Shon

Yeah thats true Shon... Its a good race but theres something more exciting about running or walking on a dirt trail in the mountains...Dont ya think?

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/nv_hunter/nevadaanimatedhelmetwd2.gif[/IMG]

I think a full blown xterra race would go over well with the businesses and chamber of commerce in Elko. I know a lot of people would love to spend a week in elko playing and getting ready for a large race.
But I dont think thats what we're talking about here. A fun up and back amoungst hunters where beer is acceptable and who ever wins doesn't have to buy his own beer and chesse burger is all. Participants should have camo packs and wear camo on the hike, no spandex, no gel packs or hidration stations. I mean come on how many people would actualy show up? 10 maybe 15?

Plan the big Triathlon for 2012. Heres the current Nevada schedule. http://www.trifind.com/nv.html

> I think a full
>blown xterra race would go
>over well with the businesses
>and chamber of commerce in
>Elko. I know a lot
>of people would love to
>spend a week in elko
>playing and getting ready for
>a large race.
> But I dont think
>thats what we're talking about
>here. A fun up
>and back amoungst hunters where
>beer is acceptable and who
>ever wins doesn't have to
>buy his own beer and
>chesse burger is all. Participants
>should have camo packs and
>wear camo on the hike,
>no spandex, no gel packs
>or hidration stations. I mean
>come on how many people
>would actualy show up? 10
>maybe 15?
>
>Plan the big Triathlon for 2012.
>Heres the current Nevada schedule.
> http://www.trifind.com/nv.html

No spandex? Count me out!

Sounds like quite a few people would be interested in making this happen. I would love to meet some of you fellas and think that a "race in the rubies" would be awesome. Personally I would not participate or support such event unless it were kept local. Those that have been there and done that in our range should be the only invites. My intent is to keep our mountains as quite as possible but feel if you already know the country you should be invited.

I guess I did start this so I will say that invites with dates and times will be sent via personal message so we can assure it stays local. I like the idea of bringing a scale to the trailhead - everyone brings their packs and ample water bottles so we can get the weight just right for each person. I would totally prefer a hike with 1/3 of our body weight. I have never gone in for three plus days with a pack less than 60 lbs. I am sure some of you pack differently so what are some opinions there? I also think we could leave in ten minute segments with each person starting his watch when he leaves and using the honor system till he/she returns. I would also bring an unknown food coloring to put in the water bottles going in our packs so no one would be able to cheat on the way up. Sounds extreme but competition brings out the best and worst in people. I like the idea lets hear some feedback.

Enough from me... anyone have any thoughts.

One more thing - I think part of the race should be on a trail and part off trail. Again, any thoughts?

"I guess I did start this so I will say that invites with dates and times will be sent via personal message so we can assure it stays local."
Almost sounds like hand picking the competition amongst your own click.

Just stay the hell away from my secret fishing hole. :)

I'll let you young guys "race" around the mountains. I prefer to go slowly, enjoying the scenery, smelling the roses, drinking a few beers.

Pathfinder - I am curious to know why you think it will ruffle feathers? I like to hear opinions and wanted feedback so let me hear it! :) As far as hand picking the competition I don't believe I know a single person that has shown interest in the hike. I wanted to send Pm's to everyone instead of posting it so some random guy from from who knows where could not see the date and time. Like I mentioned before it seems most everyone would like to keep this between fellas that already know our country.

Anyways...

I probably wasn't going to get the "special PM invite" anyways but count me out.

#1- It's not "our" or your country
#2- I believe a public event where "some random guy" shows up could benefit hunters and might break down stereotypes of lazy road hunters shooting game out of their trucks. There are lots of trail races around the west that go through excellent high country deer habitat and the reality is most people could care less.

I'll be up there in Aug packin' a bow though...hopefully I don't stumble into your country.

I'm probably not going to get the invite either. Knew I should have chosen a non Idaho name.

15 years ago I knew a few things about the Rubys, but then moved to Idaho. Now I'm back in NV and with any luck I'll be packing my bow up "our" mountain in August.

I am realizing it's hard to so anything on here without ticking someone off. Sorry guys! I wasn't saying I was right or wrong just throwing ideas out there. I'll just stick to posting pictures and congratulating others. Happy Hunting!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom