Recipes

leftturnabq

Maybe I'm missing it (I mostly read the NM forum and check out the pics section) but this site needs a "game recipes forum" for people to share more than their antler pics. What is everyone's favorite venison recipe?

I love breaded backstrap (who doesn't), but I also love mule deer fajitas. Something about the gamier taste of deer is complimented well with red bell peppers and onion.

VENISON FAJITAS

1 lb. venison (thinly sliced for tougher meat)
1 onion sliced
2 red bell peppers (or mix colors...I prefer sweeter taste of the red ones)

Olive oil, garlic, pepper, and salt.

Roast bell peppers in oven or over grille to soften. Add olive oil to satee pan, and carmelize onion. Add minced garlic and venison, then sliced peppers and stir fry to preferred doneness. Add some jlapeno if you like spice.

Serve with flour tortillas (you're on your own with that recipe) and garnish with cheddar or cheddar-jack cheese, salsa, and maybe some sour cream.

Any venison can taste good if ya wash it down with a good frosty ale!! ;-)

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-08 AT 05:13PM (MST)[p]Sure. Down enough frosty ale beforehand, and you probably don't care too much about what you munch on.

Here is a favorite of my family. Take one back strap dizzel with olive oil, season with fresh garlic 2 cloves per side (or more if you like, I like more)garlic salt,rosemary,(fresh is preferred)a little sea salt if available or table salt, two to three bay leaves per side then cover all sides heavily with fresh cracked pepper, wrap in plastic refrigarate for 48hrs. Cook under extremely high heat on grill (or skillet with olive oil). Seer all sides then turn down heat and cook to the internal temp. reaches 125 to 130 degrees, remove from heat and let rest for 10 minutes cut into 8oz. portions and enjoy. Serves 4 to 6. We get a mustard gravy from a local restuarant to use as a sauce which is excellent! (I highly reccomend). I'm sure you can find a recipe for the sauce on line if you like. If you try it let me know what you think. Also, you can do the same with your steaks as well (wild game or beef). We cut all our wild game steaks 3" thick (that way you don't have the tendency to over cook) and can cook them more to the rare to medium rare side for a more tender and favorfull steak. I have done this for years and ever the people that say they would never eat wild game love it. They all thought it was a beef tenderloin until I told them. Hope you like it.

I think to many people waste a lot of meat in making burger and hot sticks. Don't get me wrong I love them as well, but their expensive, if you have to have a butcher do them. If you season your steaks pryor to cooking with your favor seasoning, your steaks will taste awesome. Also a side note, we put 25 percent beef talo (fat) to make our burger and only use the trimmings for the straps and hinds, it's tender and you would swear it is beef, for sausage and brats we use the front shoulders and neck meat. Make sure you cut off all fat, senyu, silver skin, etc. if not it ruins the favor of the meat.

Sorry, I got a little long. Just wanted to share my ideas, for what it's worth my 2 cents.

Joe E Sikora

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom