Region G draw odds

Muleys24Seven

Now that the draw deadline has passed...what do you think it will take to draw a region G tag (non-res special)? Will 1pt secure a tag?

Last year it took >1 pt to have a 100% chance. With all the bad publicity on deer #'s I think it will be slightly easier as some will choose to wait or hunt elsewhere.

Yep lasat year was the first year I noticed that 1 pref point in the special draw did not have 100% odds. I think it was around 73%. I suspect similar to you that 1 point should secure it this year due to the reports from last years hunters of low deer numbers from the winter kill. But I also know that the limited draw/entry areas just dont seem to have the demand for tags since very few offer better quality bucks than some of the regions. Time will tell. Good luck.

They are proposing a 25% cut in G tags and an even larger cut in H, so don't hold your breath. Those cuts are very much needed IMO, as there is way too much pressure on the deer

I don't think this unit is worth the Special price. I hunted it in 2010 and 2011. The reduction in deer from winter kill in the area we hunt was 70% between the two years. The size was down also.

I too put in for G special with 1 NR point. 2nd choice elsewhere where I can draw. IMO, not many great areas to keep building points for.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-12 AT 08:02PM (MST)[p]A 25% reduction is a good start to help the herd, but I really hope they come up with a solution to also reduce the number of residents hunters in G and H. I'm all about opportunity, especially for anyone that is a resident, but allowing any resident to buy an inexpensive tag every year for regions/units where the herd numbers are way below objective is just bad mangement.

Is there still any talk about aligning the season dates especially the openers such that folks cant go from one place to another and hunt opening dates?

"Is there still any talk about aligning the season dates especially the openers such that folks cant go from one place to another and hunt opening dates?"

I'm not aware of any, but I've said before that would be one of the easier ways to help address that part of the problem. IMO if those two Regions are in the shape people say they are, they need to take at least some, if not all, of those units out from under the General License unmbrella for the residents.

they are proposing that the sept 15 seasons close on Oct 3 this year, A 20% cut in Area 130, Non residents from 1200 to 800 in H and 800 to 600 in G, and some changes in 141/162, thats all I know about and this is all subject to being changed, the public discussion meetings will be held soon and I hope there is support for these modest changes.
I would like to see more control put on residents also, but this is as good as can be expected for right now.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom