Region G, H, and general season overcrowding in Wyoming

feduptwo

Over the last couple weeks I've heard a lot of people ask for general seasons to go Limited quota in the state of Wyoming.
The biggest flaw with this plan is the staggering amount of permits that be siphoned off to resident and nonresident landowners. (think about the huge amount of private land that is in the Wyoming range drainages).

With that being said I do agree that something has to be done in regards to the often times miserable overcrowding that occurs in Wyoming general hunt areas, especially in Region G and H.
Two solutions are readily available and would not require legislative action.
First and most simple make resident hunters pick regions just like nonresidents. This would drastically reduce the overcrowding problem in Wyoming general season units. Areas on the eastern side of the state that need additional harvest to keep numbers down could be dealt with by adding a type 5 license that would allow hunters to turn their unused region tag for whatever area that the G&F needed additional harvest.

The second would to put the September high Country region G/H permits as limited quota Sept 15-31st (1200-1500 permits for each unit) and then open the region G/H as general season on Oct 1st. Then open all of the other units in Wyoming on the same Oct 1st opener. All general deer hunts should open and close on the same date. This forces guys to spread out and doesn't allow guys to put more pressure on the areas that stay open longer. Once again areas that need more deer removed (eastern side private lands) could be dealt with adding a additional type license and allowing unsuccessful hunters to hunt these areas. If Region G and H were allowed to remain open as general areas the pressure would be very light and would not allow landowners to receive the early tags because the units would still be classified as general. The successful early season hunters would not be able to hunter general season.

We shouldn't stand for overcrowded general season hunting when we have the smallest population in the western USA. Wyoming residents must sacrifice 70 day deer seasons to accomplish this. This is a resident problem and cutting nonresident quotas won't get us where we need to be.

I would like to see the harvest limited in this area as well. However, I don't want it to become an area that residents can only draw every 10 years. One option could be to require residents to choose between Limited Quota or a General Tag. With this option the draw odds for LQ tags would improve and less general hunters at the same time. No one could whine that their opportunity is being taken away since you still had the choice to buy the general tag. Game and Fish would probably not go for this as there would be less tag sales - not sure how to improve buck quality without giving up some tags?

We need to limit the hunter success without limiting the opportunity. For example with all of the technology of today i.e. long range rifles, our high country deer are taking a beating like never before. Why not have the general seasons be primitive weapons. If it is truly about preserving opportunity let's make hunters really hunt. Deer units G-H are the last strong hold of quality public land hunting with giant deer potential. We should protect this gem of Wyoming at all costs. I have listened to all the arguments on habitat and agree that area needs help too, but shooting a deer at 1000 yards year after year on a buy over the counter license is going to take its toll on this unit...

Wyoming residents have the power to change this... We need to take care of these units before we look like Idaho!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think limited quota is an all or nothing proposal. We have got to be able to limit the amount of harvest to preserve the buck to doe ratios.

+1 wolfhunter. Wish all gen units were primitive weapon only. For the riflehunters, we would need a LE tag implemented for the same units.

I wish all Wyoming hunts were on a quota basis, and primitive weapons are a great way to have opportunity without killing the resource.
The way it now the only option to control hunt pressure is cut season length.

I talk with WGF officials quite a bit and there is little or no interest in changing the status quo.
Gary Fralick isn't interested at all in limited quotas and makes it a point to assure that there are plenty of trophys still out there.
His data shows that there are still some big bucks being taken,
Of course all the modern technology and pressure is the only reason for that, but that argument is hard to quantify.

There are quite a few Wyoming residents that just have to hunt deer every year there, and I don't see things changing.
It sucks I know, because with a little sacrifice, there could still be some exceptional hunting in that country.

The truth is there is some trophies in those units. There only problem is hunting overcrowding. It is a statewide problem or at least on the western side of the state.

I agree technology is a modern day plague of the hunting world and I know a few deer are killed every year in the Wyoming range with the aid of the new technology but If every hunter in the Wyoming range had 30/30's with no scopes it would still be overcrowded.

As a group of hunters we just have to demand that the overcrowding problem is addressed and I believe it is a achievable goal.

Feduptwo

I like your idea of limited quota/general. I believe it is already being used in other areas, so it is a matter of getting with the district biologist in that area and start that discussion.

I think regional general tags may be on the way, with some resistence.

I think the primitive weapon thing would be too radical for a lot of people.

Remember the resource and possible additional pressure that might result from changes.

The problem with early quota and general later is time, those deer leave and migrate early. There is some concern about seasons ending from early to mid Oct becoming killing fields if weather comes in.

I like your ideas, Eric; with some tweaking, these could work. We've discussed this stuff on many occasions.

I would add that another possible solution would be early/late seasons. Split the general season in half and you have to either pick a season or it would be through a draw. Example: Deer units 144,143,145 would be open from Sept 15- Oct 7. You could either hunt from Sept 15-27 or Sept 28-Oct 7( If my math is correct, but you get the idea). Of course, those dates are an example only; depending on what G&F sets for seasons. I am also of the opinion that this would save some of the older age class bucks due to half the hunters in the first season when they are more likely to be killed by hunters. Couple this with pick your region, and you would instantly have half the hunters afield at any time.

Of course, whitetail would continue to be open in the general areas they presently are for general license holders, regardless of which region or season you hunt for mule deer( except for LQ license holders, of course).

I have thought about that same scenario nontypical, splitting the seasons just like that.
Pick you region would be nice also.
Getting anything that radical implemented would be hard, and I wouldn't know where to begin.
Change doesn't come easily in this state, small stuff fine and slow, but a proposal like that would invite some real howling.

Some of the HM areas tried the split season approach last year and it worked quite nicely. I really don't think it's too much of a stretch. Also, I know that there has been discussion about residents picking a region through the drawing process.

Hunter congestion is a major problem in my opinion. I hunted in a hunter management area last season where the season was split. Hunter pressure was actually tolerable.

I totally get that WGF is against change. But I have also seen small steps taken by them over the last couple of years. So there is hope...From what I understand, when you fill out your questionnaire that they send out every year at the end of hunting season, hunter congestion is the number 1 remark made in the remarks section.

Leave it alone. I just moved to Wyoming and the Hunting opportunity is the only thing the will keep me here. I spent 2 to 4 year between tags for region G. I want to hunt it every year now. If you want to fix the problem then limit the resident to 1 species. You can Hunt Deer, Or Antelope, Or Elk. Take your pick. Most will pick elk and I will be hunting deer alone in Region G. This will also help the antelope odds.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-14 AT 07:13PM (MST)[p]Guys like Roadlesshunter are what I was talking about when it comes to changing things. I'm not saying he is wrong or right as everyone can have their opinion.

This is why Wyoming is and will be basically like Idaho when it comes to big game management.

Roadless... as long as you get YOURS to hell with the deer... your a Narcissist in true form!!

Why would anyone not want to do what is best for the deer western Wyoming???

I can not see how anyone in good conscience could say, "the deer are doing fine", that includes Gary Fralick. I have heard his arguments claiming limited quota will not grow the herd. He claims the G&F's hands are tied on improving habitat ya dee yadda. And collectively nothing gets done. All the while the herd ticks down in numbers and quality. I think it would scare the hell out of people if we did a real herd count and buck to doe ratio, like was done in the Platte Valley... This herd needs some HELP!!! If the guys who are getting paid to take care of this herd will not do whats right, the residents of western Wyoming, Muley Fanatics, Mule Deer Foundation or whom ever gives a hoot... should demand positive change from the Game and Fish!! Or look back and say remember before we looked like Idaho. Mule Deer Management needs to start being proactive. This herd could be so much more with a reduction of 1/3 the hunting pressure it gets currently!!! It makes me sick nobody will fight for our deer...

I come from Utah and have learned as soon as opportunity is lost it will never come back. Be careful what you want or in the end Wyoming will look like Utah no opportunity and no deer herd. One problem I see with Region G is the amount of little bucks being hammered. As a non-resident in the past, I went home empty rather than shoot a small buck. If it's to small for the wall why shoot it. I can't believe the number of 2 and 3 points not even out to their ears that are shot on opening morning in Region G. A couple years ago I passed on a 25 Inch 6 x 6 on opening day. He was tall and heavy, but needed to grow another year or two. Not many hunters will pass on bucks like that. Resident shoot anything with horns anymore. I think Wyoming should charge an under size fee with mandatory reporting over the internet. That shouldn't cost much to run and use the under size fee pay for the system. If you want a 2 point it will cost you an extra $50 dollars. We can't have big buck if we shoot all he 2 points. The other factor is the winters. I seen the affect a couple years ago 70% of the buck we hunted in 2010 were dead from the winter of 2010/2011. This is first hand observation. I drew 2010, then anteed up for special tag and drew in 2011. 70% winter kill, the area went from 70 to 80 bucks down to 20 bucks. It was a sad day in region G that year.

I don't know about you roadlesshunter, 50.00$ for a two point?
Winters have always been a problem in Wyoming.
Utah has its problems and it mostly stems from Utards and the me, myself, and I attitude.

Opportunity was lost and never coming back in Colorado during the eighties and nineties. So if it truly is lost forever in Wyoming, I believe it will be because of people just like you.

Piper, you claim it's me me me I I I , but you want PP when others do not. So isn't that the same thing as you claim everyone is acting (ME ME ME MENTALITY). Different when it's something YOU want. Liberalism at its best piper, but coming from you its not surprising. You and buzzy should go out on a date.

Those of us who dont want to see PP can argue with people like piper/triplebb and others all day long and in the end, it does no good. The only good will come if you write your legislature and tell them why this is a bad idea.

>Those of us who dont want
>to see PP can argue
>with people like piper/triplebb and
>others all day long and
>in the end, it does
>no good. The only
>good will come if you
>write your legislature and tell
>them why this is a
>bad idea.

Or why it's a good one...

I say leave the unit alone.

It is still better than any unit in Idaho or Utah over the counter.

Roadless
It should $200 more for just hunting a Trophy deer as resident in those units..

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I find it ironic that Roadless Hunter moved to WY for the hunting opportunity and then immediately wants to change things.

I agree those that feel overcrowding on public lands is a serious issue. Some say we should split the season into two. Why, what good is that gonna do? Game & Fish changed the deer season openers in western WY to all start Sep. 15 (maybe 15 years ago) in order to alleviate hunting pressure. It was a good move, but then later they countered it by shortening hunting seasons on the back end by 3 weeks. Stupid idea.

Do we have more deer than we did in 1990?...NO

Has the trophy quality improved?...NO

Are hunting areas still overcrowded?...YES

Make deer hunting statewide 4 point only and no doe hunting. Quality and quantity will turn around.

I have had the WG&F tell me that limiting the amount of hunters in G will have very little effect on the deer. So then why do they keep shortening seasons? I'll tell you why. They can't stop selling tags, they need the money. They aren't managing deer well because they haven't managed their budget well.

The preference point discussion was on the other thread, this is about overcrowding and decline in the Greys river areas of Wyoming.
I would prefer not being able to hunt every year and have a better quality less crowded experience

Its worth noting that Colorado changed their deer hunting quality dramatically, but it took a little sacrifice.
The majority of Utahans don't want to make that kind of sacrifice, that's precisely why Utahs deer hunting quality is known for being so dismal and why it won't get better.
Why Idaho's is like it is and why Wyoming's has gone on a downhill slide.

But as long as its still a little better than Utah or Idaho, that's all that really matters to some I guess.

I believe that Roadless hunter doesn't want to change things, and most knowledgeable people say that 4 point or better would be a disaster.

I don't think there is much if any doe hunting going on in the areas being discussed.
G and F is right, deer numbers probably won't really improve if there is less buck hunting pressure, only quality will.

You might want to research the whole 4 pt or better thing. There are a number of studies on it documenting it doesn't work in the long term. It failed miserably years ago when the G&F tried to do it in a number of areas in central WY. They ended up with older genetic misfit 2's & 3's doing much of the breeding after the 4's had been killed off. I don't think we'll see drastic changes in G anytime soon as the G&F needs the revenue. On top of that, there are a lot of us who like the status quo and we're just as vocal as those who are trying to force change with some of these areas...

I think your right triple bb, not much is going to change.

Those of us that had the opportunity to hunt that country when it was good hunting will have to be satisfied with great memories.

I accept that things change, and you can never really go back home.

Blueticker-Regions G&H used to have 2 different openers- Sept 10 and Sept 20. The reason they changed to a unified opener was to alleviate opening day hunter congestion( among other reasons). We have the same problem now with Sept 15 and Oct 1 openers. That is why I would like to see residents pick a region. I usually hunt the Oct 1 openers, and we get all the unsuccessful Sept 15 opener hunters. A split season would cut hunter numbers in half. It would relieve hunter congestion, that's exactly what it would do. I don't know about you, but I like the idea of having half the hunters in the field than we do now. I'll even hunt the late season so all the guys that need to hunt opening day can still do that!

RoadlessHunter-There is so much wrong with your post I don't even know where to begin. Telling people what they can kill is absolutely ludicrous; and charging more for a smaller buck is even more absurd. The reasons you stated for why Utah general season sucks is exactly what we are trying to prevent from happening here. We are headed down that same road unless something is done.

We need to grow more deer. You can't stockpile bucks. I don't care what restrictions you impose on hunters. Last time I checked, bucks don't have fawns. Biologically speaking, a buck/doe ratio of 5 or 6/100 is enough bucks to breed all those does. WE NEED MORE DOES!!! Saving bucks may show an increase in quality, but it will NOT produce more deer.

I've seen antler restrictions work. The area I hunt had poor b/d ratios several years ago, so G&F made it 4 pt or better for a couple years. The change was drastic and only took 2 years before several 200"+ bucks began to show up. AR can be a good management strategy, but from what I see in region G, the b/d ratios look pretty good, and there is good age class diversity. 4-pt or better is not sustainable as a management strategy over long periods of time unless hunter numbers are severely reduced as well. Once the older age classes are gone, hunters simply kill the 2&3 year old 4 pts. As TripleBB stated, you end up with a bunch of older 2x3's and such to breed their inferior genes into the future.

One thing is for sure,IMO. The status quo we currently have is not going to sustain our herds into the future.

Not sure why everyone thinks that I want change. I said leave it alone in my first post. Then to satisfy the change people gave them some drastic ideas to use for change. Point restriction could help short term like 2 or 3 years of them. That would bring the buck numbers up them go to a normal hunt. Three point or better would work better. In Utah the area we hunt had lots of big bucks until they removed 3 point or better. It has declined down to 90% of the bucks are yearling bucks. One in ten might be 2 or 3 year old. In Utah they see that 90% small bucks as harvester bucks. Kill them before the lions can. You let them grow most will be predator killed is the DWR Model. That's why Utah has no deer they see the little bucks as a renewable harvest resource.

Holy crap, someone had the cojones and common sense to put it in writing:

?I don't think there is much if any doe hunting going on in the areas being discussed.
G and F is right, deer numbers probably won't really improve if there is less buck hunting pressure, only quality will.?

?We need to grow more deer. You can't stockpile bucks. I don't care what restrictions you impose on hunters. Last time I checked, bucks don't have fawns. Biologically speaking, a buck/doe ratio of 5 or 6/100 is enough bucks to breed all those does. WE NEED MORE DOES!!! Saving bucks may show an increase in quality, but it will NOT produce more deer.?

EXACTLY!!! So here is the problem. The only way to produce more does, is to provide more habitat, hopefully high quality habitat. Here?s the next problem, we're at a point where we might not be able to provide that high quality habitat in large enough expanses that's needed to grow many of our deer herds. Subdivisions, recreational properties, wind farms, gas fields, oil fields, coal gasification plants, hydrogen plants on transitional range, etc., etc., these all eat up habitat. They also restrict the amount of landscape available for habitat treatments on a large scale. I'm not so sure that we have anymore, or can provide the habitat that's required to support deer populations like the 50?s through the 80?s.

As stated above, very little D/F harvest anymore, if we're not killing the does and the population continues to tank, the huntin? pressure probably ain?t the problem?

>
>As stated above, very little D/F
>harvest anymore, if we're not
>killing the does and the
>population continues to tank, the
>huntin? pressure probably ain?t the
>problem?

There is plenty that could be done. That is the excuse used by every Fish and Game, Game and fish agency that wants to continue selling tags to fill their bloated top heavy budgets that the resource cannot handle.

10 bucks per 100 does is not going to grow the herd. 62 coyotes per hundred does is not going to produce many fawns!! 1000 yard over the counter hunters is not sustainable (short term greed, long term decline). Manny unpopular changes could be made to improve what deer we have left.

Too bad only about 3 people on this thread get it...Southernwy and nontypical are 2.

They are both correct, with little to no doe harvest, and tanking total deer populations, the problem isnt over hunting.

The problem is, we're flat not providing adequate habitat to increase total deer populations.

Buck-to-doe ratios of 10 to 100 are more than adequate biologically to grow a population. There is plenty of data to support that.

I dont have a problem with ending ALL doe harvest, including youth.

However, the major problem is a habitat issue, and like SouthernWyo, I question whether or not much can be done. I still believe that there are some large scale habitat improvement projects that could be done.

Its also pure bullchit to blame the GF for things they cant fix. They can recommend habitat improvement to the land management agencies, but they cant compel them to take action. Also, even if the GF can recommend and get approval for habitat improvements from the BLM, FS, State, etc. there is still the question of funding and implementation.

Since the average cheap-skate Resident hunters feel the GF is a "top heavy bloated" agency...where in the F$#K do you suppose the money would come from to make drastic habitat changes?

It sure as hell isnt going to come from your $40 deer tag, and thats a fact. Management costs a chitload of money. Habitat improvement costs a chitload of money.

Yet, the GF is expected to conduct studies, control predators, set seasons, provide enforcement, work with all the State/Federal agencies, conduct habitat improvement, read peoples minds, and basically do everything short of pulling a rabbit out of their ass...all on a $40 deer tag.

Sorry Charlie, it cant be done. It will take a massive amount of time, effort, and money if we are really intent on solving this problem. Everyone talks of sacrificing opportunity...all that will do is allow us to manage what little remains of the deer populations...populations that will continue to decline. We arent even slowing the decline now...let alone getting ahead of the curve.

What we need to do is start at the start.

Fund studies to determine limiting factors for specific herds. Once thats determined, figure out how we improve habitat (if we can), etc. to increase herd numbers, or at least stop the decline.

Grow the deer herds and many of the problems that everyone fights about will solve themselves. More deer, more opportunity. More deer, the less people worry about someone shooting a 2 point for meat. The more deer we have the more bucks we have. The more bucks we have, the more bucks we have in ALL age classes.

That all comes with a price tag...and from the constant beotching and complaining about tag fees that goes on, I dont see anyone willing to step up to help increase funding. No increases in funding, no changes...status quo is what you can expect.

We'll continue to look at idiotic chit like antler point restrictions, LQ, and all the other crap ideas that only look to "improve" whats left, rather than look to ways to actually increase mule deer populations.

FACT...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-23-14 AT 10:00PM (MST)[p]We'd have more deer than we could hunt if we could improve and restore winter range.
Some interesting studies are showing that deer from the Wyoming range have a lower fat content that those from similar winter ranges in the Sierra Mts in Nevada. I'm not saying coyotes don't eat deer but after the 2010-11 winter and while participating in the mortality counts it became readily apparent that the biggest problem the Wyoming range suffers from is winter mortality. The only way to fix winter mortality is improve habitat on the winter and transitional ranges. The 2nd biggest is vehicle mortality. When we get those problems fixed we can start working on the small problems. I like seeing problems addressed big to small.

With that being said I hunted Region G/H for 9 days this year and had another 6-8 days of scouting. I passed on 25-30 bucks, with a couple being 160-180" deer before harvesting a buck on my 8th day of hunting. My only complaint was the crowds everywhere I went. On opening day I saw 20+ hunters (6-8 miles in on mules) On the 29th of September the day I killed a deer I saw 5 other hunters in the same drainage.

Lets get serious about the crowds which is really the only thing the G&F can immediately address.

I agree with almost everything buzz said; a rarity, lol. The only thing I hold the G&F accountable for is overcrowding and hunter management. Even if there is 10,000 more deer Region G and H will still be overcrowded.
I would support a 10$ mule deer management stamp to fund mule deer projects on the Wyoming range. WWF, MDF, MFF and other conservation organizations should make Wyoming range a top priority.

There is a pretty large scale habitat improvement project for the Wyoming range coming soon, I have a map of it right here.
Its projected to take ten years to implement.

Growing deer is a great idea, but mother nature holds the master key, we should do what's possible, and we are doing things. There are two big overpasses and several tunnels that were recently built just out of town.

I agree with fedupto, crowds of hunters in the early highcountry is sickening.
I don't mind seeing other hunters when out antelope hunting, I can even stand a little combat fishing.
But walking or packing for miles and having every alpine basin crowded with competition, back packing tents and seeing more hunters than deer. I can't stand that, maybe its just me, but that's how I feel.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-14 AT 08:46AM (MST)[p]Buzz,

Your mule deer science is WRONG!!! Mule deer have been mis managed for the the last twenty years by guys who (like you) pull out the old mule deer management hand book.
10 bucks per hundred does is not sustainable to the herd. Idaho has wrecked an entire state of mule deer proving it. HOW MUCH MORE PROOF DO YOU NEED!!!!

How about the G&F flawed counting methods. Platte Valley is a prim example. Concerned hunters were SCREAMING like mashed cats, "the game and fish numbers are wrong". Those concerned hunters were labeled radical, uneducated, tin foil hat SOB's what ever words your kind use when talking down to the public. WHO WAS RIGHT??? It sure as hell was not the WYOMING GAME & FISH... THEIR COUNTING METHODS ARE NOT ACCURATE!!!!! FACT..... TTHE REAL COUNT IN THE PLATTE VALLEY PROVED IT ONCE AGAIN!!!!

Predators (mainly coyotes) are playing a HUGE roll in fawn mortality. That is a problem the Game & Fish could solve.... Winter closures have built a predator free for all with our winter grounds. FACT...

Habitat is the go to excuse for all agencies... Is that not your expertise BUZZ??? Are you saying that all the money we spend studying habitat is a WASTE OF TIME???? Because nothing ever gets done. Just a bunch of educated well versed H..O..T A..I..R !!!!!

So as far as WGF budgets go why not get rid of those jobs that are creating no positive change. Like all those in charge of Habitat... Unless they get their act together and bring us some positive results... Hit the Road Jack!! YOU AGENCY GUYS ARE GOOD A SPENDING MONEY YOU DON'T EARN.....

I would gladly pay more for properly managed mule deer.... So would many more!!!

AND BUZZ SAVE US FROM POSTING SELF... PICTURES WITH YOU AND SOME BUCKS FROM WESTERN WYOMING WE ALREADY KNOW THEIR ARE SOME BIG BUCKS STILL AROUND...

You are still harvesting 200" bucks. The outfitters are having a great time. Have you see Non Typical Outfitters Website?

The hunting is great. Get out of your truck and off your 4 wheeler.

"You are still harvesting 200" bucks. The outfitters are having a great time. Have you see Non Typical Outfitters Website?"

I expect they will never be in the numbers they used to, but yes they are there. I can glass small basins during the summer with bucks that I never see a hunter in during the hunt. I don't hunt them, because getting a buck out of some of those places is beyond my capability, but some of you young guys could pull it off. You won't get horses in there and it is insanely steep. G and H are huge and there are places seldom hunted. Think different and don't hunt the same places and same ways as the past 20 or 30 years. I'm not saying the numbers couldn't be better, but I tire of hearing there is no place to go that aren't overrun with hunters. Think small pockets...

Hey feduptwo have you ever hunted 10 days after opening morning?
You should try it you will see very few other hunters on the mountain, even in region G.
Some areas do get crowded... Especially the roads. Lol there's a lot of public land out there that isn't very pressured and some how every year multiple giant bucks are killed in region G and H .

H is anything but crowded in the wilderness. Have you ever hunted the wilderness?
If you care about deer numbers kill more predators and zero does. The Wyoming winters are also hard on deer. So pray for good winters and stop the trashing of migration paths and preserve the winter range that is still intact.

To all the guys complaining about over crowding.... Pick up a bow yourself
... Hike a little more..

Maybe cutting non resident tags to 10% like other state should be done before we cut our resident opportunities.

I would like to see a 3 points or more on either antler before we go the way of limited quota for residents.

Region H wilderness areas should definitely not go limited quota for residents.

Rambo, probably one of the best posts out there about these areas. I've hunted the last week of the season in G the last couple years and could count the numbers of hunters seen each year on one hand. Of course we're on horses away from the roads. I know one guy who archery hunted last season and said he never saw another hunter where he was at. I would agree you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a hunter near the roads or on an atv. Guess it sucks to be them...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-14 AT 08:48PM (MST)[p]Antidepressants is all I can figure?
90% of the deer live in 10% of the area, its that way most everywhere, and that 10% is pretty crowded.
And I don't mean by the roads, I mean on top of the mountains.

You can't even compare the hunting these days to what it was like in the 1980s and the 80s can't compare to what it was like in the 50s.
Thank god I won't care in another 30 years.

And thank god I know what really good deer hunting is, because if you call that good deer hunting, you don't know what good deer hunting is.

But whatever, I buy a license and go sometimes, unless I have some other hunting to do, yet for the most part you guys can have it.
I would love to hunt that country every 3 or 4 years if there were 1/3 the pressure every year, it would be cool and amazing, unfortunately that just ain't going to happen.

But what the heck, its still better than the Utah general deer hunt.

I killed a deer in h on sept 29th which would be 15 days after the opener. I was in the Wilderness and saw 5 other Hunters including two lost souls from out of state. We had a argument about whether they were in wilderness after I told them I didn't care they admitted to knowing they were close. Close being relative as they were 2+ miles.

Wilderness is just another word for welfare. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

"And thank god I know what really good deer hunting is, because if you call that good deer hunting, you don't know what good deer hunting is."

Well, everything is relative and if what was had in days of yore are the standard, then I don't expect you will ever see much in the way of good deer hunting again. I live and hunt in G and love it. I may never put a 200" deer on the ground (it takes an investment of time I don't have), but I'm okay with that. The country is beautiful, the air crisp, and there are some decent bucks to see. That is good for me. I'd rather see a few 140-170 bucks a year than a monster every three or four.

Despite low deer numbers, Nevada still has some pretty good deer hunting. Colorado had some super good hunting in the 5 or 6 years before the 2007 winter, If you missed that, you probably lost out on a chance to see what good deer hunting is, sadly It disappeared all to fast.

I like the Wyoming range and Salt Rivers a lot also, I go hiking there quite often, those mountains aren't crowded at all except during hunting season.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom