Region R

T

trealtree

I would appreciate it is anyone who has hunted this area would shoot me a message. Just needing some insight on what area to DIY camp/hunt in. I only have 1 season under my belt for western deer and that was for eastern wyoming.

From the research I've done, I would say your best bet is up in the northern part of the region in unit 50 if you're looking for decent numbers of deer with a fair chance at a good buck. I know there are at least two guys I've chatted with on the BB that are going to do a backpack hunt up there because it has little road access and they figure that will get them away from most of the "wannabe" hunters. It is supposed to have some terrific canyon country that is tough and why the deer are there.

I have a 45 area elk tag and will be bowhunting in Sept and I am thinking about getting a deer tag too. I heard there are not many bigger mule deer in that area. Someone else said there are big mule deer around Tensleep. Anyone else have some insight? Thanks.

The problem with the deer situation is that you are talking mostly private ranch land down at the lower elevations toward town unless you catch them in the BLM up above there between the private land and the National Forest. As sure as I would tell you not to get a deer tag though, that is probably when you would see a good one! I have not really seen what we would call really big bucks in that area, but mostly bucks in the 150" class at best without any mass. From what I've heard, the bigger deer concentration and better bucks in the region are up toward the Montana border in deer units 50 and 53 and up higher into the Forest in deer unit 46 where you will probably be elk hunting.

A spindly 150" would be worth the price for me if there are enough to run into one while elk hunting with my recurve. I'll be hunting higher up in the forest, but below the wilderness, but I was told the deer were mostly down in the sage areas.

Forest cover is much better than sage with a stickbow...

MAT---What you just mentioned is basically pretty accurate and what I was trying to relate. There may be a few decent ones down in the BLM sagebrush, but even the better ones that I've seen on private land in that area aren't gonna get your heart pounding, LOL!

Good Info. I was hoping to get away from the scattered and broken public land in Eastern Wy. It looks like there is tons of public land in the area.

To be very honest with you, I have been seriously thinking about doing that hunt up in unit 50 that I mentioned the other guys are going to do, but I have a resident friend who is telling me to build my PPs for one LE unit that he likes. Maybe I'll get a great report from them after their hunt up there this October and that will make up my mind for me, LOL!

Thinking about renting a pop-up camper for a base camp. Anyone know of aplace near region R that I could get one?

I hunted R a few years ago when I first started hunting western states. I found a couple decent bucks on the walk in areas near shell. The only spots that seemed to hold any deer on the lower elavations were the irrigated private land. Thinking I had a good plan I went out the opening morning and walked a couple miles into the center of the walk in area in the dark. As the sun began to show itself I was surrounded by vehicles, one even drove within a 100 yards of me. Both bucks were pushed to private land by all the traffic.
Hunted up in the mountains the rest of the hunt. Most people shot young bucks, the biggest one was about 160. My group shot three little ones. Tasted good.
If I went again I would have stayed longer and hunted the walk in areas or tried to get access to private land.
Nice country, lots of hunters and good place to hunt. If your trophy hunter there are some nice bucks, at least I see them during the summer.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom