REI Stores

I buy from them on occasion. They offer quality merchandise and
have decent service. Depending on the store location, do not
tell the sales help you are buying for hunting purposes (At least the SoCal stores!). I have made that mistake a couple of times and have been given a very cool reception to say the least. They definitely cater to the "Non-hunter" outdoor type.

I quit giving them my money when they were allowing a person to collect signatures for a ballot to ban hound hunting and bear baiting at a store in Oregon. I walked back into the store, returned the items I had purchased, and tore up my membership card at the sales counter. They have great stuff, but they won't get my business ever again.

Thanks for the replies. Nuff said! The only store I've been in is the one in Albuquerque next to Sportsmans Warehouse while trying to find some size 16 hiking boots for my son. All of the employees seemed to be the tree hugger type and so did all of the customers in the store at the time.

It just seems strange to be in a sporting goods type store where there are zero critters being displayed on the walls and no guns or ammo on the shelves.

REI is one of the vendors that the company i work for has negotiated specail employee discounts with, but it doesn't sound like I will be using them.

I've never bought from them, but I do window shop there sometimes. They have more backpacking gear and knowledge than the kids at Sportsmans. If I want to try out tents or good clothing or whatever I'll go there, then go home and order it on Amazon.

Here's my take on them.
They support organizations that I believe are against my way of life.
So in retribution to that I will go to their store, shop for gear (try things on, inspect workmanship, check specifications, etc) then put it back on the shelf and buy it from another hunting friendly source.
I waste some of their money every time I can!

>Here's my take on them.
>They support organizations that I believe
>are against my way of
>life.
>So in retribution to that I
>will go to their store,
>shop for gear (try things
>on, inspect workmanship, check specifications,
>etc) then put it back
>on the shelf and buy
>it from another hunting friendly
>source.
>I waste some of their money
>every time I can!

Now that is simply a lie. REI has never given money for anti hunting. As for not carrying hunting gear, thats not what REI is. They arent Cabelas. They are a hiking, mountaineering store. Period.
I shop REI alot. Buy boots, packs, pads, clothes, socks, GPS', ect. I usually am wearing camo and discuss my hunting plans. Never have I been treated poorly nor have they done what is being said.
They have given money to maintain trails, ect. But NEVER anti hunting. REI's CEO is a hunter.

Not to "discount" what dreamin' said, but I think his experience is unusual. Even in Idaho 15 years ago, they were much closer to antis......it wasn't specifically said but the attitude was obvious.

If you look into it, they definitely DO support the destruction of the things I hope my son gets to enjoy.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

>Not to "discount" what dreamin' said,
>but I think his experience
>is unusual. Even in
>Idaho 15 years ago, they
>were much closer to antis......it
>wasn't specifically said but the
>attitude was obvious.
>
>If you look into it, they
>definitely DO support the destruction
>of the things I hope
>my son gets to enjoy.
>
>
>
>Within the shadows, go quietly.

No GB, they do not. Post links then please. I have done the digging and have found nothing to indicate that at all. They give money to Org that want to maintain access that you enjoy and maintain trails. They have never given money to Anti hunting organizations.
They arent a hunting store. They are geared towards mountaineering/hiking.
Ya, they are kinda granolaish. But as I stated before, they are not a hunting store. That is their choice. Do we not have enough hunting oriented stores?
I am not soley a hunter. I enjoy mountaineering and general hiking, therefore, i need stores like REI. Lightweight sleepingbag, pad, packs, shoes, climbing gear, ect. Does Cabelas sell climbing gear? No. Thats not what they are geared to.
There was alot of rumor circulating around the internet about it, but when you have a Pro Hunting CEO and have never pinned them to giving money directly for anti hunting, its ridiculous to make such accusations.
And the comment about REI not having mounts on the wall... really? That sounded really redneck man.

I have also been in their stores in Utah in full camo picking up supplies and have never been treated poorly. They have always been good to me.

Can we update this forum so posting with a
phone is easier?

I have shopped in the past at REI and have never seen or encountered any anti-hunting sentiment or bias.

Eldorado

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-12 AT 08:06PM (MST)[p]I am fairly sure that you must present a membership card from PITA, The Sierra Club, Friends of Animals or Rainbow Coalition, to shop in an REI store in Ca.

Besides that, the place is packed with saleswomen with hairy armpits and unshaved legs.

They don't like "us" and I don't like them. You can buy anything they have online......cheaper.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

NICKMAN..
DUDE WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I thought you liked your women looking and smelling of sheep!
REI is cool and has great working knowledge of everything from hiking to biking and everything in between and most gear is highly reviewed online and they have everything online....so STFU...lol
(probably a young boy you were checking out weirdo!)
all the chicks that work in Fremont REI are hot! and not hair "ONE" below eyebrows I bet!

I am not a regular at REI but I do stop in every now and then to check out the latest in backpacking gear. The only time I really purchase from them is at the scratch and dent sales they hold semi-annually. You can snag some awesome gear for dirt cheap at those sales.

I got this tent at one of the sales a year or two back for $38, not a single problem with it, the original owner just didnt like it and returned it. Because it was used, REI cant restock for MSRP.
2633dsci0509.jpg

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Struck a nerve I see!

http://www.rei.com/stewardship/report/2011/community/rei-foundation.html

Now I didn't say they were directly against hunting did I? Somebody needs to learn to read and re-read BEFORE reacting.
I have been to their store while wearing a hunting related logo hat and was treated poorly as soon as I watched them read the words on it and I have also been there to buy hiking shoes and as soon as the sales dude realized I was wearing cowboy boots he instantly forgot about me and didn't come back. Those two instances along with some other digging lead me to the conclusion stated above.

REI's CEO should make sure the employees treat all customers as customers should be treated. If they get that straightened out I might sign up for a membership. Next time I'm in town I might wear a camo shirt in the door just to see what happens!

They cater to a certain customer and that clientele has a large amount on nonhunters in their makeup. You can say what you think but the proofs in the pudding. Many of the products they carry can be purchased in camo and for some reason they don't buy them. They give money to the Sierra Club, and a few other anti hunting groups. Sierra club opposes many bills that have any involvement in the killing of animals and hunters encroachment on public lands by any means other than his feet. Sierra club has been instrumental in restricting forest access in many states. They carry some great products and their CEO may be a hunter but they choose to avoid marketing hunting related products for a reason and that's because the majority of their clientele doesn't hunt.

It's the way of the world today and like it or not it's how they market. I've never been mistreated in one of their stores but if you think they support hunting it's time to take a good look around next time you're in there. Better yet ask the store manager if you can put up a table and have people sign a petition to support hunting and fishing, that should be all you need to know. If they say yes I'd be highly surprised. They probably won't want to get involved and that's their right as a business and we as hunters need to understand that every customer is important so I accept that. They know who their customers are and hunters aren't the majority.

I don't boycott them but I buy the majority of my goods at places that support what we do. Cabela's, Bass pro shops, Sportsmens all donate thousands of dollars to hunting activity's and have contributed millions of dollars over the years to protect your right to hunt and fish in court. In todays world if you like to do that, you better be supporting the companies that are protecting your right, because it takes $$$$ to go to court.

ill buy that boskee

I support the hunting stores 10 fold but there are a few times you just cant find what your looking for at cabelas so on a rare occasion rei fits the bill.

Can we update this forum so posting with a
phone is easier?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom