Reloading info needed?

quest

Very Active Member
Looking for a starting load for 300 RUM. 185 Berger bullets with Retumbo powder or Magnum powder. My goal is 3200 fps.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I have developed loads for three rifles chambered in 300 ultra.
Using retumbo and 185 vlds in all three.
Average velocity on drop dials are as followed
I would work up to 98 grains that's where I have found good luck.
Remember there are several things that effect pressure. By no means just load these up and go shoot. You could pm me and I could go over some of the finer details regarding jump and jam for starters

Jump and jam? In a factory Remington you aren't going to get anywhere close to the lands. Load to magazine length and go. mtmuley

Who said you need to load at mag length?
When I custom load for a rifle I don't let the magazine tell me where I can stop seating the bullet. Once in a while a rifle will shoot great at mag length but why let the mag dictate where to call it good.And yes bullet seating can effect chamber pressure.

I guess if you want a single shot, magazine length isn't an issue. If it is, there are ways of addressing it. I've loaded for many RUMs in .300 and .338. Been loading the .300 since 2000. All of them have been under MOA and still fit the magazine at the COL that worked. I've learned some things along the way. mtmuley

All of the handloading I do for others and myself are loaded for long range hunting applications period.I would take a single feed rifle that shoots a .294 group over a rifle that shot .987 group with 10 rounds in the magazine any day all day. When you are going long a minute of angle isn't good enough. There is a big difference in sub minute groups. It's not hard to get 3/4 minute groups out of today's factory rifles. But it's damn hard to get any old gun to print groups under 1/3 of a minute. Bottom line the tighter the groups the longer you can reach out ethically on an animal.

1594005.jpg
I understand loading for long range. If I told you about the rifle that fired this, you wouldn't believe me cause it's "any old gun". mtmuley

Thanks for the info. I email Berger got reloading info for the 185. The info they sent me only gets me to 3085 fps with a max load of 96 grains of Retumbo powder. Do you think they underrated there FPS? They use a 26 inch barrel. I guess I'll find out when I go to the range and Crony my loads.

quest, That velocity quoted by Berger does seem low. The load I fired the group pictured with sends the 190 VLD at 3244fps. I shoot 200 grain Accubonds faster than 3085. I bet your chrony will shed a little light on how fast your loads are. mtmuley

mtmuley that's what I'm thinking. I'm getting 3170 fps out my 200 AB. I don't like the group I shot with them (200 AB) at 200 yards. Two bullets were 2 inch apart the 3rd was 2.75. I've had the Berger bullets for awhile now I'm thinking of using them.

Went out yesterday and was able to do some long range shooting at small rocks out to 800 yards. I wanted to see what would happen if I shot them (200 AB bullets) at long range. I had a spotter and I did not miss one rock. They shoot pretty good!

The 200 grain Accubond is pretty much all I've used to hunt with in my RUM for the last 11 years. Doubt that I'll change. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom