Reloads and Semi-Auto's

couesbitten

Have a buddy who shoots a Browning BAR 7mm. He's heard that you can't shoot reloaded ammo through it. Any truth to that? Thanks for the reply's. Scott/couesbitten

No it is not true. Just make sure he shoots enough of a particular load through it that he is confident it cycles properly.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

I've loaded ammo for my dad's BAR's in 270 and 30-06 with no problems. I don't load them any different than I would for a bolt action rifle.

Just make sure the OAL is good to go so it will feed properly.

That's the hitch with a semi and roll your own ammo. You can't really manipulate the OAL to achieve better accuracy AND feed consistantly.

I have 2 BAR's. One is a 7MM and the other is a 300 Win. I reload all my ammo and it works fine but I have found that they are a little finnicky. For instance in my 7MM it will only work with new brass. It will not work with the brass fired from itself once before. It jams every time with the fired brass. Now my 300 Win. will accept any resized brass, it is not finnicky at all. I like the BAR's. Shot my moose with the 300.

Pappabull;

Your resizing die for the 7mm may not be resizing your brass back to the demensions for new unfired brass. You may want to get a RCBS small base die in 7mm that will resize the case to factory demensions and allow you to use once or more fired cases in that 7mm auto.

RELH

Read Browning literature for ANY of their guns. All say the same. ITs just CYA.

As to loading-- sometimes OAL can be a factor as noted. Sometimes not. Sometimes have to use SB dies even. The main thing is to shoot enough to be confident.

I used to shoot up to 20K rounds a year in an AR15. Never crimped a round and never had a non crimp related failure(other things like no powder, reversed primer etc.... did "fail to fire")

Its no different than a bolt gun really. They have to be sized for correctly also.

Jeff

The BARs are less finicky than remmy autoloaders with respect to the burning rate required to function. If you do have trouble with failure to eject or the bolt locks open on occaision you might need to change you brand of powder. Often a gas gun won't live up to it's potential and function reliably.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom