Remington 700 SPS Stainless WSM

Stubaby

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-12 AT 03:16PM (MST)[p]A local Sporting Goods store has one left and I realy want the .300 Short Mag. I have head that this gun jams because of the way the cartridges feed and the "steepness" of the throat??????

Any truth to this. Brand New $499.....anybody have any info good or bad?????????

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

My younger brother had a 7mm WSM and hated it! Sold the thing the first chance he got. The factory ammo feeds fine. But if you reload at all the thing will jam. Seating the bullets the "correct" depth when reloading is difficult.

I have a 270 WSM and have not had any problems with it. The reloading was harder to find the best load for the gun than my 257 Weatherby but still I was able to get it done.

I bought the same gun in 300Winny, and I love it!!!
I'm not a short mag fan, so I cant help with the cartridge ???

I have the same gun but not stainless and have loved it. It is a little particular to the way it likes to be reloaded. I was having problems with the brass when I used RCBS dies. I switched to redding dies and the problem is solved. I have killed 3 animals right at 500yds with it so far.

}}-SLIVER-->

That's a great price for that gun. I have a Remington 700 SPS Stainless in 300 WSM and I love it. I've had it for three years and never once had a problem with it jamming on me. I've only taken two big game animals with it, but both were one shot kills.

I have it in CDL SF in 270WSM. I reload for it with RCBS dies and have not had a problem with it. It didn't take me long at all to find the lenght either. I load mine almost to the lands and no issues with jamming. I use it as a back up to the RUM so I have only taken one animal with it.

I have Remington 700 SPS Stainless 300 WSM that I have had for two years now and it is the best gun I have ever owned! Thats one heck of a price for that gun! buy it.

I have one in 270 WSM and it feeds fine. Reloads or factory ammo, I've never had it jam. The 300 WSM is a great cartridge and it has advantages over the 300 win mag with bullets up to 180 grains. Any heavier than that and the win mag would be a better choice.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-12 AT 08:24PM (MST)[p]I ended up wussing out on the gun. Ended up with a new Black Gold Ascent sight for my bow and a Lamson Litespeed Reel to hook up on the Sage Zaxis.

Thanks for all the replies..

I have two other questions:

1. What's the best "bigger" caliber for elk, deer, and moose than an .06? I have an .06 and I love it. I just keep wanting a bigger one just for fun. I would like to have a local gunsmith bed it, trigger it, and put a muzzle break on it......then add a Long Range Scope to it. I am not looking for a "Best of the West" type of gun.....but if I ever have a LE elk tag and the bull of my dreams is 500-650 out and I can't get closer because of terrian I want something I feel confident in.

2. What's the best gun under $1300 to start out with. Tikka, Ruger, Remmy, Browning, Kimber???????????

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

I'm a big fan of .338s for elk. I love the bigger bullets you can shoot. They hit hard, but you may want a muzzle brake if you go any bigger than a .338 win mag. The Weatherby, Lapua, Ultra mag, etc will all flatten you without one. Most of the guys that are obsessed with long range elk hunting use a big 338 of some kind.

Another good caliber for long range is the 300 ultra mag.

Sako, Kimber, Cooper all make great guns but you're probably closer to $1500 for most of their offerings. You can take a regular old Remington 700 and have it re-barreled, blueprinted and bedded for $1300 or less.

I have a 300 WSM and love it! Christensen Arms carbon barrel with a Remington short action... I hand load with Nosler 125 grain ballistic tip and it rips! I have killed four really nice mule deer with it the last six years. A couple over 400 yds and it did the job with no problem. I think you will like the 300 WSM

125 Grain Slugs sound a little light for a 300 WSM?

Sounds like a hell of a Coyote Load though!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

I have a 300 RUM and love it, shoot great and the ballistics are incredible.
Personally I like Browning, but you can't go wrong with the Remington 700 either.

I have a newer Kimber 84 and it won't load without jamming.
strike one

My 2 month old Remington is headed back to the factory for a new barrel.
strike two

I would look at the Remmy SPS stainless in 7mmSTW and then tack on a brake, jewell/timney trigger, and geting loads worked up for it.

Savage is the Best Bang for the Buck Gun going right now in my opinion, Second would be Tikka, Remington 3rd and to be caliber specific is just impossible shoot what you want, you can make anything shoot good with enough time behind a reloader in any of the above rifles.

"WHEN INJUSTICE BECOMES LAW" "REVOLUTION
BECOMES DUTY" unknown

Windage and elevation pilgrim windage and elevation

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom