Remington trigger

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I have a problem others have had with my Remington muzzleloader trigger (700ML 50 cal). It goes off when I close the bolt or when the safety is clicked off.

I called Remington and they just gave me numbers for places for me to BUY a new trigger.

Considering this is a known issue and the obvious danger involved I am not happy with how the are handling this.

What are your thoughts/ideas?

Never had an issue with my Rem Smokepole Trigger or any of the other Rifles!

I know there's a few issues out there!

The last few 700's I had built up my Gun Smith asked:Why the Hell you wanna change the Trigger?

Maybe Remington will be changing them now I don't know?

You ever pulled your Muzz Bolt completely apart & cleaned it Don?

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

Had the same exact problem with mine.

Sent it back to Remington and they supposedly repaired it. Been too scared to shoot it to see if they really did. This was many years ago and the gun is still sitting in my safe...

Horniac

Now you know why I will not buy Remington. They have been aware of the problem for many many years and turned a blind eye to it until they started losing lawsuit after lawsuit. They are also not noted for good customer service and many have complained about the piss poor customer service they provide.

RELH

Bess, I am not cussing your Rummies, If I had one, I would give it to you just to get rid of it. Go over to the Marlin rifle forum and see how those guys cuss Remington for buying out Marlin and ruining the lever action rifles.
Remington is owned by a big corporation that looks at profit margin only and takes shortcuts to improve that profit margin even to the point of putting out a inferior product.

There is talk that Remington may be sold off due to having to replace their accident prone triggers. If that happens, hopefully some gun savy people will buy in and try to run it right.

Same thing happen to Colt in the late 70's and their quality control took a dump due to the bean counters getting to much say so on cutting corners.

RELH

....is it ground hog day?????

8346emporor_obama.jpg

I liked it big...fondler doesn't

>....is it ground hog day?????
>
>

Ever' day

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

I try not to hunt with a loaded gun just because of the danger that can happen from accidental discharge. My rifles have had no problem yet.

It is not that uncommon for a trigger to need a little work, regardless of manufacturer. The problem could just be some dirt, a weak trigger return spring, etc. It probably needs to be cleaned, you know how dirty black powder can be. It should be a simple repair for any gun smith. I believe the whole "Remington trigger thing" to be and urban legend. Once something is said on the internet, it stays forever, and eventually becomes "truth".

>It is not that uncommon for
>a trigger to need a
>little work, regardless of manufacturer.
> The problem could just
>be some dirt, a weak
>trigger return spring, etc.
>It probably needs to be
>cleaned, you know how dirty
>black powder can be.
>It should be a simple
>repair for any gun smith.
> I believe the whole
>"Remington trigger thing" to be
>and urban legend. Once
>something is said on the
>internet, it stays forever, and
>eventually becomes "truth".

Urban legend my rear! Tell that to the many thousands of people, including some trustworthy people on this site itself, that have had the centerfire rifles misfire! When the inventor himself says there's a problem and the company wouldn't correct it for 5 1/2 cents a rifles as in this situation, it's certainly not an "urban legend"!

Sorry about your problem Don. Simple fix. Get rid of the rifle. Easy. No internet complaining required. Matter of fact, I would take it. BUT, at a greatly reduced rate as it is defective. mtmuley

I'll say this; i've owned, shot, and handled many Rem 700's in my day and still believe them to be a great value and gun for the money.

Of all those 700's owned by myself and all of my acquaintances both at the Ranges i've belonged to and those that i've shot and hunted with thru the years, only one particular 700 rifle had a dangerous trigger and that trigger had previously been altered by someone that didn't know his business.

It's up to each individual to know what they have. If their rifle is unsafe, get it fixed. If it is perfectly dependable and as they like it in all instances, cherish it as i do mine!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Model 700 rifles are the most common rifle I know of around here. I do not know a single friend or person that has had an issue with a Rem trigger. I do know of triggers that were messed with that had to be taken to a gunsmith for readjustment.

I did read an interesting article that told both sides of the story. Almost every case of a gun firing when the safety was switched to firing position could be traced back to two things:
1) improperly adjusted triggers(most cases too light)
2) improper handling of firearm(finger on trigger)

The most famous lawsuit was brought by a father, who lost his young son in a tragic accident. The mother was holding the rifle, clicked the safety off and the gun fired killing the boy. Many questions surround this horrible story.

The gunmaker, refered to by Topgun, was in his 90's I believe when the media got to him and made public the claims he supposedly made. I think there's more to that story too.

However, it is my understanding that Remington will be announcing a plan to mitigate all issues with Rem triggers by some offer to EVERY owner of a model 700. They have set aside over $20 million to do this.

jm77---The inventor was Mike Walker and he worked for Remington way back in the late 40s when the trigger was introduced. The company barely started production of the rifle and Walker discovered through a few reports of the rifle misfiring that the independent "fire control connector" would sometimes not fall back into place and the gun would then fire when the safety was taken off or the bolt touched to unload it. He wrote a memo to the company brass and asked that a trigger block be installed to prevent misfires and even though it would have only cost 5 1/2 cents a rifle for the change they decided the chances were insignificant and with cost overruns already happening they left it in production for decades. After covering up the problem by settling a lot of the lawsuits with a "no tell" stipulation they finally went to the X Mark Pro trigger in 2006-07 and it is now under a recall for serious problems that are also causing misfires. Rather than issue a recall under this latest Class action lawsuit they settled it by agreeing to allow anyone that want a trigger upgrade to join that settlement. That saved them millions of dollars by still not having a recall because millions of people that have the affected gun will not even know about it. Walker was still very lucid in his 90s when the interview you mentioned happened and he just died a year ago at the age of 101. The real thing that people need to know is that the problem can't be replicated even in a rifle that had the problem once because it's such a random thing. Also, there is no doubt that the problem is exacerbated by home tinkering and/or not cleaning properly. The latter is probably out of the realm of many because of having to take the assembly out to do it. The easiest fix even if a person has never had a problem is to put an aftermarket trigger in like one_dryboot did when it happened to him.

The fact the problem can't be replicated led Rem to believe other things were causing it. The ProMark triggers merely needed cleaning, which was a Rem problem allowing them to leave the factory in that condition.

I don't know the whole story, but it sounds like Rem will be handling it soon.

.....and momma should have NEVER had a loaded barrel pointed at her young son....

8346emporor_obama.jpg

I liked it big...fondler doesn't

>.....and momma should have NEVER had
>a loaded barrel pointed at
>her young son....
>

Her son wasn't even within her view, as he was on the far side of an empty stock trailer. None of the people who were killed or injured would have been if the gun hadn't gone off when it was pointed in the wrong direction. The point is that they shouldn't have gone off, regardless of where they were pointed without pulling the trigger. No other rifle in history has had a huge problem like this even though there are a lot more of them out there than others. For example, there are millions of Models 70s out there that were made decades ago and we've never heard of thousands of them going off!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-14 AT 05:41PM (MST)[p]I keep looking over at my gun Safe, waiting for the Remingtons in there to go off.

Nope, WE'RE GOOD! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-14
>AT 05:41?PM (MST)

>
>I keep looking over at my
>gun Safe, waiting for the
>Remingtons in there to go
>off.
>
>Nope, WE'RE GOOD! :)
>
>Joey

^BOOM!

"BOOM!"

Did your head just explode? Couldn't have amounted to much. lol

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-14 AT 06:19PM (MST)[p]>"BOOM!"
>
>Did your head just explode? Couldn't
>have amounted to much. lol
>
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Never mind, as you're not worth it!

"Never mind, as you're not worth it!"

I can understand why you would think that. Happy hunting!

Joey

They better get the Damn things Fixed!

Getting ready to buy another one!:D

I've never had an Issue yet!

Guess it could happen!

Several years ago when I heard about it I called Remington!

Some Gal starts askin Questions:

You ever put WD-40 on your Gun?

Damn Straight I have!

She about had a Mis-fire!

Maybe a Wardrobe Malfunction?

JUDAS!

Got My Ass Reamed for 20 Minutes!

My Gun Smith sure doesn't seem like there's anything to worry about with the RUMMIE Triggers!

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

Jef
I got a .308, .25-06, 280, .300 Win Mag
and .222 Rem Mag.

I have yet to die violently due to their goofy,
wonderful triggers.

Remington triggers are the best
compared to most.

Guys if you want to fool yourselfs, just go ahead and hope your Remington trigger does not fail you one of these days. As for you guys that state it only does it if tampered with or dirty, you are wrong!!!!
When I was doing gunsmithing on a part time basis. I had a friend bring in his new Remington 700 to me and state it had gone off when he thumbed off the safety. He told me that he had not touched the trigger and never had the barrel receiver out of the stock to adjust any of the trigger screws.

I removed the barrel-action from the stock and found the trigger to not have any crud buildup and the locking agent Remington applies to the adjustment screw was still intack telling me the screw had not been tampered with. I replaced his trigger with a after market one as he did not want to send it back to Remington after reading the many complaints about the defective trigger.

Do what you want, but do not try to tell me how great the Remington 700 is, as I will always strongly disagree with you on that point.
If you want a rifle that is very similar to the Remington 700 and in the ballpark price range, you should look at the Howa 1500. It is sold here by Weatherby as the "Vanguard". The receiver is the same round tube as the Remington, but has several improvements over the Remington. It's recoil lug is part of the receiver similar to the Win.M-70 and not a sheet metal shim sandwiched between the barrel and receiver as Remington does it. It has a "Sako" style extracter that is far better then the Remington that is famous for pulling off the cartridge rim if your chamber is dirty. Has a very good trigger with no history of failures like the Remington.

I used to build custom hunting rifles using the Howa barreled action and Shilen match grade barrels. I found out that the Howa factory barrel was a very accurate barrel most of the times and no problem with 1/2"-3/4" groups using factory Federal Supreme ammo. For a out of box factory rifle, it would have no problem matching or surpassing the average Remington 700 out of the box.

RELH

RELH, in case some don't know, RELH knows his stuff.

That said, this is so old news and has a bunch of 700 owners scratching their heads.

One would receive a hard time screwing with my 700's triggers, actions, ejectors, you name it. I don't necessarily like my 700's just because they're mine. I like them because they fit me like a glove, are built to last, and usually go off at the precise moment when i'm ready for them to.

That's trigger control my friends and my 700 triggers are tuned to me so nice, i refer to them going off as a automatic pilot experience. Shooting them bucks is the easy part!

Those that are more concerned about this than i am, take yours in, have another trigger installed, see what the man says but when you get it back, be sure to thoroughly test that baby out with a empty chamber before you shoot or hunt it.

I worry much more about things like a hunting pard having forgot that he took his gun off safe awhile back, there it sits, and i'm walking thru heavy brush in front of him. :)

Joey

The design/manufacturing defect the designer warned about in a small percentage of the triggers should not have caused any accidental deaths with safe gun handling. But what if you flipped off the safety as you were preparing to shoot the trophy of a lifetime, defend yourself against a criminal intending you harm or enemy sniper? True, you should know your gun well enough to know if you were unlucky enough to be in that small percentage... But most would assume that a gun from a manufacturer with the name recognition of Remington works flawlessly in design mode.

>The design/manufacturing defect the designer warned
>about in a small percentage
>of the triggers should not
>have caused any accidental deaths
>with safe gun handling. But
>what if you flipped off
>the safety as you were
>preparing to shoot the trophy
>of a lifetime, defend yourself
>against a criminal intending you
>harm or enemy sniper? True,
>you should know your gun
>well enough to know if
>you were unlucky enough to
>be in that small percentage...
>But most would assume that
>a gun from a manufacturer
>with the name recognition of
>Remington works flawlessly in design
>mode.

In case you didn't read the recent thread on this website regarding the trigger, the exact thing you mentioned happened to one_dryboot when his went off as it was aimed toward some elk he was set up on, but before he was down on the scope ready to squeeze the trigger.

See my other thread with my issue. I took great care of this gun and it came on "slowly". I LOVE my Remington guns and I LOVE this gun. It is truly my most trusted firearm. I have 700 in .280, 7600 30-06, a .22 an 1187, 870.

That said knowing other guys had this issue and knowing I did nothing to cause it - combined with how incredibly dangerous it is makes me very unhappy with their attitude. Again this is coming from a die hard lifelong Remington fan.

When if first got ultrasensitive I had someone adjust the trigger but it quickly got worse.

It scares the crap out of me now!

Don---Just take your time and before you use each one again replace the triggers with aftermarket ones by doing it yourself or let your smith do it and don't look back. It will cost some money, but what is a human life worth when we're talking this kind of a problem that can happen at any time with no warning!

Where can I get a new reasonably priced trigger? I am not dropping $200 or more.

Also again my gun has a serious problem, 90% of the time when you turn the safety off (no matter how soft you do it) gun fires. Or when you close bolt (with safety off) gun goes off. Remember this is a muzzleloader, not a 700 smokeless powder caliber.

I have never experienced anything this scary in my life with a gun. Until it happens to you it is hard to understand just how unnerving it is.

This trigger was iffy from the get go, 3-4 shots made it dirty enough to not always set off cap! I dealt with it by cleaning a lot because I love the gun - but still.

I kept this trigger clean and it was never abused.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS I CALLED THEM AND EXPLAINED MY GUN GOES OFF WHEN THE BOLT IS SHUT OR SAFETY TURNED OFF AND THEY SIMPLY SAID SORRY NOTHING WE CAN DO, HERE ARE SOME PLACES (NOT US) THAT SELL TRIGGERS.

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. PERIOD. THEY KNOW ABOUT THIS???????????

I hate our sue happy country BUT Remington WILL get sued for this, and I will be happy to testify against them. This will kill someone.

LAST EDITED ON May-23-15 AT 02:57PM (MST)[p]This issue is a big problem. I will never trust a Remington trigger. I still own a custom rifle with a 700 action. But you can bet the first thing I did was swap out that P.O.S trigger.
Funny, I was in the same boat as some of these Remington lovers, until it happened. It is not user error.

I doubt Remington said there is nothing they can do. Perhaps you missed it Don, but there is a big re-call going on. OR, I will gladly take your Remington off your hands for a fair price. (Minus the 200 bucks for a new trigger of course) mtmuley

Jeeez,drop a Timney in it and be done.
Mine cost maybe $150.
Never had a problem with my 700,but was changing out a broken stock anyway.
Hell my original scary trigger had been lightened to 2 3/4 lbs and I never gave it a thought.

Oh,my Rem. 700 is a 30-06 too. You could maybe take it from me when I'm dead......

Remington makes a great rifle , after you put a Lilja barrel, Jewell trigger , Sako extractor and a McMillian stock on it.

Stay thirsty my friends

Better yet, buy a Howa 1500, sold by Weatherby as their Vanguard model. Nearly identical to the Remington 700 but with a Sako extractor, recoil lug like the Win. M-70, and better trigger and better odds of getting one that will shoot under minute of angle with factory ammo.

RELH

>
>Remington makes a great rifle ,
>after you put a Lilja
>barrel, Jewell trigger , Sako
>extractor and a McMillian stock
>on it.
>
>

True that.

Remington makes a great rifle , after you put a Lilja barrel, Jewell trigger , Sako extractor and a McMillian stock on it.

Nothing wrong with any of that, but to imply a 700 wont shoot out of the box is ridiculous.

A $20 raffle ticket...plain jane 700 bdl 7RM.

Straight out of the box, no trigger work, no bedding, etc. all original.

Shot OK at 300:

IMG_4362.JPG

I did eventually replace the trigger with a timney and bedded the rifle in a B&C stock (don't care much for the factory bdl stocks). Accuracy didn't get better, but didn't get worse either. Still shooting the P.O.S. factory barrel. When I shoot the factory barrel out will replace with a pacnor.

Shoots fair at 620:

P1240767.JPG

As far as the rem. triggers go...sent mine to N. Jones and he worked it over and I've been happy with it on my 7-08. Breaks like glass at 2.80lbs

Lots of good barrel makers out there, I hear good things about pacnor and B&C stocks:

IMG_1057.JPG

5 shots RL 19, 140 AB's, 2910 fps, did OK at 100 yards:

1228141902a.jpg

Same rifle, Varget, 140 AB's at 2850, shots 8-10 on the new barrel...200 yards.

IMG_1056.JPG

The Varget/140 AB load in 7-08 did alright at 629:

DSC00699.JPG

All I can say is that my Rem Model 700 went off when I flipped the safety off at the shooting range one day. Not a pleasant experience.

Wildman

"Hoss you convinced me what day are we packing up and leaving this Mormon hell hole for California?"- coondog 5/13/15

Some of you are missing what trigger this is.

Muzzleloader.

It is NOT in recall.

It has been well known to have problems. They straight out told me, on THREE (3) different occasions that they will not fix it or give me a new trigger. They will be happy to give me phone numbers to companies who will sell me a new trigger.

This is NOT a recall trigger.

There is no way I am spending well over 50% of what my entire gun costs just to replace a trigger - on a gun I took great care of and shot no where near 500 times.

That sucks, but that's about your only choice other than selling it to someone else that you make aware of the problem and that will pay for the fix.

Your only recourse then is to get rid of the rifle. You will get very little for it due to the trigger problem. I have heard of other complaints that Remington will not repair for free other triggers that are not on the recall list. Let this be a warning to all others planning to buy a Remington rifle. I quit buying Remington rifles 25 years ago.

If you sell it and fail to disclose the problem to the buyer, you can be held liable in a civil suit if an accident happens. You can bet your bottom dollar that Remington has you on a list of having a faulting trigger and you are aware of it in the event your buyer tries to sue them down the line.

RELH

The sky isn't falling!
Just break into your wallet and order a $140 Timney trigger.
Zeke

Don,
If you would like to have the gun fixed and be confident with it call John Mann of Mann and Sons sporting goods Pinckneyville Il. A fine honest man and expert gunsmith. He has the biggest Remington repair service facility in the U.S. He does not work for Remington but does their repair work. Remington triggers in the 700 ML are adjustable and things that are mechanical and adjustable have it in their nature to sometimes fail. His phone number is 618 357 2911 he is busy and maybe at the Grand right now so be patient. Those are fine accurate rifles when they are set up properly. Hope this helps.
J_T_B

I'm with Zeke on this. Remington sent a cheap P.O.S shipping box to send the rifle back for repair. Uh hell no! New Timney and problem solved.

Hey Don!

Quit F'N Around with this Gun with a Faulty Trigger!

And I Quote:

This trigger was iffy from the get go, 3-4 shots made it dirty enough to not always set off cap! I dealt with it by cleaning a lot because I love the gun - but still.

I've seen many people mad at the Remington ML700 when the Cap wouldn't go off!

When on close inspection I pulled their Bolt apart to see if the Bolt had ever been cleaned properly or ever taken apart!

Unreal what I've seen after pulling the Bolt apart on most Remington ML700's!

If your Bolt is not setting the Cap/Primer off there's a good chance it's not a Trigger problem!

Seems like your Trigger isn't having a problem of going off!:D

FIX it or Trash it before somebody gets hurt!

I've got a couple of the REM ML700's!

The one has been Fired a few Thousand times using BLACK NASTY as I call it,AKA 3fff Black Powder,The Blackest,Dirtiest,Nastiest Powder you can Burn & I'm yet to encounter a Trigger Problem!

A Dirty Bolt Problem Yes,they have to be cleaned once in a while!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

Hey Don?

You Bidding on that Trigger or not?

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!