replacement for a Badlands 2200

JeremyKS

I have been using a 2200 for several years in fact the pack is probably 4 or 5 yrs old. I have had great luck with the pack, I like the tripod pocket and spotting scope pocket. My complaints and why Im looking for a new pack is that it won't fit my 80mm spotter in its dedicated spotting scope pocket. I also find that it sticks too far above my shoulders and I often find it catching trees or brush when I bend down to go under them.
I use the pack mostly on day hunts so this size of pack seems to work pretty well for me. Anybody have suggestions of which packs to look at?
Thanks
Jeremy

www.sagebrushhunts.com

I would look at the hornhunter mainbeam or mainbeam xl they have dropdown spotting scope pouches on the side of the pack should be plenty big enough

2800 cubic inches the dropdown pouch is 18 inches long on my xl and they are stretch open at the top i would think you could carry a tripod in them to

X2 on the 09 Horn Hunter line. I am getting the Mainbeam, which is 2800 ci like Morrison said. I have an 07 Mainbeam xl now, but the 09 line has a ton of new features. I played around with one the other day and it has specific pockets for your spotting scope and your tripod. I know many people who are un-satisfied with their Badlands and who have switched to Horn Hunter and they are very pleased.

Here is a link to their stuff.

www.sophuntinggear.com

}}-SLIVER-->

Second that I am getting a 09 mainbeam as well and I cant stand badlands packs. Now if I am seeing it right in hornhunters catalog you can haul meat cape and antlers on the 09 mainbeam ?

I kind of figured this would be answer I would get, it seems lots of people on here like them. Does anybody have better pics of the pack especially of the tripod and spotting scope pockets?
Thanks
Jeremy

www.sagebrushhunts.com

I've experienced the same things and am getting the Mystery Ranch Crew. Saw it at the expo, tried it on, saw what it can do as far as a day pack and with the ability to expand into a large pack and haul out large loads. Might be the last pack I buy.

I'm pretty shocked to see a few comments about people not liking their badlands. I have the day pack, the fanny pack, and just bought the 2200. Their warranty is the best I've ever seen!! If your unhappy with it, I would give badlands a call and see what they can do for you. I've known them to go all out for customers.

Another reason I like Horn Hunter because their packs are 100% made here in the USA, using all American made products. Badlands are made overseas :( .

}}-SLIVER-->

LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-09 AT 08:04PM (MST)[p]Isnt Tarantula and Hornhunter the same? Sportmans outdoor prducts? Well I just saw a Tarantula bow case that said it was made in China.

P1000913.jpg

P1000911.jpg

SO if you dont like a pack just because it is not made in THE USA is Silly. Dont get me wrong, I would rather buy something made in the USA, but come on We are Chinas Bit^&#@.

The new 2200 will fit a 80 mm scope Tight, without a cover. SO go out and support Badlands, Made in Vietnam, Sold in USA with the majority of the money going to the US Economy. Its the circle of life my friends.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-09 AT 10:16PM (MST)[p]I have no experience with Tarantula; I can see that Tarantula and Horn Hunter are sold off the same site. Maybe they import their bow cases? I don't have one so I can't comment of the quality comparison. I am not saying that Badlands packs are crap or anything. I used to be the owner of the 2200 and it was decent. I am now the owner of a Horn Hunter pack, which is made in the USA, and in my humble opinion it is better than the Badlands that I owned.

And so that it is clear, yes I will buy American over foreign products when comparing apples to apples.

}}-SLIVER-->

LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-09 AT 10:41PM (MST)[p]Call Badlands. I made suggestion about adding a third strap to mine and they did it no questions asked. I bet if you asked them to extend the scope pocket they would. I have the 2200 and my scope won't fit either so I just put it on the inside and use the scope pocket for food, stove, water filter, fuel, etc. When I need to get the scope out I get it from the back access panel. Works okay for me.

HOLY #$%#$%!! You two (sliver, bccnbuck) are the worst gear pimps on any site I visit. We get it sliver you love hornhunter, and buck you love badlands as much as you both try to pass it off as honest feedback its obvious you are both in the tank for each of the companies. I will never own another pack of either as it is blatantly clear that both companies will do anything to promote their gear whether it be honest or not. On another note both packs are nowhere near the best pack available.

>HOLY #$%#$%!! You two (sliver,
>bccnbuck) are the worst gear
>pimps on any site I
>visit. We get it sliver
>you love hornhunter, and buck
>you love badlands as much
>as you both try to
>pass it off as honest
>feedback its obvious you are
>both in the tank for
>each of the companies. I
>will never own another pack
>of either as it is
>blatantly clear that both companies
>will do anything to promote
>their gear whether it be
>honest or not. On another
>note both packs are nowhere
>near the best pack available.
>

So which is the best pack available?

BGMHIKER- I am not "In the Tank" As you put it. I just love the pack. The only thing I was trying to do is Show that not everything is made in the USA as some companies say. SO in you opinion what is the Best Pack Available out there??

>OK I'll bite Kifaru, Mystery Ranch,
>Sitka

AS far as badlands, horn hunter, and most other mid level packs...thats exactly what they are. Plenty good for the average day hunter who only uses it a few times a year, but I doubt you guys have even tried A mystery ranch or a kifaru...let alone there entire lines. FACT...Mystery Ranch and Kifaru are better made, higher quality packs. Just the level of adjustment and how well a custom fit pack feels should be enough to give em a try. Dont be offended, I understand you can't just go down to cabelas and try one on, and I also understand its a bigger investment but you do get what you pay for.
And for what its worth I was a died in the wool badlands guy untill I decided I wanted something that fit better and carried the weight better. Mystery Ranch...Kifaru...and a few other mountaineer style packs are in a whole different class when it comes to fit and quality.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I am not going to pay 400 dollars on a mystery ranch pack I dont care how good it is my hornhunter mainbeam and mainbeam xl suit me fine. Gear choices are personal preferences if someone wants to spend 400-450 dollars for a pack so be it.

Only a few of the top end Mystery Ranch packs like the crew cab cost that much. You can buy a "Snapdragon" which is a 2200ci pack for $230 and it will easily out preform a Horn Hunter. There are quite a few MR packs that are in the $2-$300 range. Look if you like your pack...great, I'm just saying you dont know what your missing. http://www.mysteryranch.com/packs/53/snapdragon.html

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

My 2800 didn't fit my Zeiss 85 so I cut a hole in the top and ran the eye-piece through the hole. It worked great. I am not sure if this will work on the 2200.

IMO, its hard to ask someone about what is a good replacement as I found that all my hunting friends have different likes/dislikes and we all have similar but still different gear. We all have different hunting styles also. I am sure you will get some ideas about packs but I found that its easier to figure out how you are going to use it and what features are useful to your habits and style. I had 3-4 packs including a badlands 2800 and now have a camelback "commander" which I have modified and I can honestly say that it is the perfect pack for my needs. 8+ individual pockets and plenty of room for scope and bipod in the main compartment. I couldn't find packs that had large front belt pockets and a reasonable size chest pocket. I like having hand access while the pack is on. It drives me crazy to have to take my pack off all the time and I don't like having things stuffed into pants pockets. My GPS is on my shoulder strap. I have a case for the binos and one for the rangefinder on the belt. I also have another for calls and other misc. stuff. I had a base pack which I thought was a good size and right for my needs and then I added what was missing so now I can leave my pack on 90% of the time when archery hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom