Researching North slope/West Daggett Rocky Mountain Bighorn unit

W

westernhunter

Has anyone hunted this unit for Rocky Mountain Bighorn sheep in recent years? I drew a tag for this November, due to my wife being pregnant I have limited time to scout this summer so I'm looking for all the help I can get. Thanks in advance for any info!

Congratulations WHunter, on both upcoming events.
Having a child and a Rocky tag in one year will make 2014 real special.
I don't know anything about that unit other than the boundaries look big. I'm sure Robb will have some very good information for you. He knows that country real well, and he won't hold back.
My experience is sheep tend to congregate in certain spots so locating those areas is important. I would contact the big game biologist for that area as well as any others to help you get pointed in the right direction.

Thanks littlebighorn! I already contacted the biologist, she gave me really good intel! And of course Robb gave me some good pointers.
Right now I'm trying to compile a gear list, I'm pretty much starting from scratch. Any tips or pointers for gear that won't break the bank?

I do what I can with experience----

Granted I got no promises for any harvests.....

You sure seem like a dang good guy Jon----

Robb

PS I got the 16 year old to deal with on the east side of Da Gorge!! ha

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-14 AT 02:45AM (MST)[p]Thanks Robb, I appreciate that!
Anybody have any opinions on the Alps outdoorz Traverse esp pack? Eberlestock isn't very comfortable to me, badlands is ok but since I have a short torso I'd rather not spend the money on a pack that fits "ok". That's what I like about alps, they have that adjustment from xs-xl.

So I decided to buy the Alps Traverse esp pack. I'm glad I did! It's pretty much made of the same material as the badlands packs but at a fraction of the cost! Sure the warranty isn't the same but for 106 bucks I can buy three, and still be less than what the clutch costs. Plus it's a bit bigger than the clutch. So if anyone is wondering about that pack, it's a good pack and I'm not regretting it one bit!

Glad you like your pack. I've seen sheep just west of your unit at hoop lake. I'm sure they move back and forth there. May be worthwhile to talk to the bio who manages the ground west of there.

Just remember, you can always have another baby but you'll never have a bighorn tag again. (did I really just say that?)

All kidding aside, HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME WITH THE NEW LIFE THAT IS ABOUT TO ARRIVE and best of luck on your OIL bighorn hunt.

Yep, 2014 will be a year you'll not soon forget!

Zeke

>Glad you like your pack. I've
>seen sheep just west of
>your unit at hoop lake.
>I'm sure they move back
>and forth there. May be
>worthwhile to talk to the
>bio who manages the ground
>west of there.

I already talked to the district biologist and got some really good info! I think the group you're talking about is the only one that migrates to the high Unitas and then back down to around lodgepole creek when the rut hits. If you happen to see any this summmer let me know!

>Just remember, you can always have
>another baby but you'll never
>have a bighorn tag again.
>(did I really just say
>that?)
>
>All kidding aside, HAVE A WONDERFUL
>TIME WITH THE NEW LIFE
>THAT IS ABOUT TO ARRIVE
>and best of luck on
>your OIL bighorn hunt.
>
>Yep, 2014 will be a year
>you'll not soon forget!
>
>Zeke

You're not the first hunter to say that, LOL!
We just found out we're having a little girl, future hunting princess/hunting partner? Better believe it!

You are going to be just fine Jon-----

New baby and a Rocky Ram harvest....did I miss something in daydream life!! haha

Robb

>You are going to be just
>fine Jon-----
>
>New baby and a Rocky Ram
>harvest....did I miss something in
>daydream life!! haha
>
>Robb

Ha ha! I'm still euphoric about it! Now I'm wondering about taxidermy stuff. Head mount? Tan the hide? Both? Decisions decisions...

Ok so I thought I'd post some pics of the gear I got (now that I know how to do it, lol).
Here's the Pack I got
tumblr_n7ijtbX7vn1tf57dfo1_1280.jpg

my boots and rangefinder:
tumblr_n8611k6GJg1tf57dfo4_400.jpg

tumblr_n86240JDrJ1tf57dfo1_1280.jpg

The scope I'm going to use:
tumblr_n7pof5U0yV1tf57dfo1_1280.jpg

The Rifle I'm going to use (decided to "enhance" the one I already had instead of buying a new one).
tumblr_n8611k6GJg1tf57dfo2_400.jpg

tumblr_n8611k6GJg1tf57dfo3_1280.jpg

Free floated the barrel and attached a picatinny rail to it.

And I'm trying to convince my wife to get this crib cover! We're having a girl by the way! I think this would be perfect for her! LOL
tumblr_n86110sQ6S1tf57dfo1_1280.jpg

Jon,

if she see's this thread and all the stuff your buying she will have the baby way early man!! haha

Robb

>Jon,
>
> if she see's this thread
>and all the stuff your
>buying she will have the
>baby way early man!! haha
>
>
>Robb

LOL! she knows what I've bought, only because I had to sell my .30-06, AR15 and my old cellphone to fund all this! The sacrifices we make for a OIL hunt!

I gotta agree with Robb. Even if that camo crib was pink for a girl, I think it would have put my wife over the edge!

Nevertheless, your enthusiasm for this OIAL hunt is contagious. I think half the fun is the build up to the actual hunt time. It does make the next 4 months go slow but I am sure you can keep busy shooting, getting in shape, making calls, scouting, etc.

Thanks for the fun update.

How goes the scouting?

I sent ya a way cool pic of a Ram harvested in the snow---of your unit drawn....

Robb

That ram was awesome! I haven't been able to actually get out to scout. I started a new job a few weeks ago. But I've been having some family members and friends/coworkers help scout for me when they're up there. I'll be up at the gorge to scout over labor day (plus I have an Elk archery tag so maybe I'll get a nice spike or bull while I'm at it! Lol!). So far that group of rams you got a video of have been hanging out in the same spot near sheep creek canyon. I really like the collared one and the one that's really wide! I wish life wasn't so busy so I could go scout! But that's life right?

I've seen that band of rams a couple times this summer on my way to wyoming looking for moose. They've been going in and out of the hay field just over the hill from sheep creek. I have some pictures of the collared ram and the one that flares out but I have no idea how to post pics from my phone.

Yeah everyone has said they're in the hay field. If I remember correctly, that hay field is on the Northside of sheep creek right?
To post pics you need an image url address. I opened up a tumblr account just so I could post pics to this forum.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-14 AT 02:51PM (MST)[p]Interesting??
I think the sexiest Ram in that little bunch is not the collared ram or the widest ram.
I think its this guy?? (looking at you)

6282img_9138-1.jpg

But thats just my opinion.
None of them are "big score" rams.
The ram that has some width to him will be a fantastic ram in about 3 years.
If he survives that long.

The ram with the collar is very uneven. Lost a bunch of his right side.

There is a couple very nice rams between sheep creek and hideout.
One nice ram that I have seen east of the dump.
Have you looked up the hill between sheep creek and the geological loop?
This spring, there was a group of about 8 rams living up there. Have not looked in a while.

Hay field sheep. What can you say?

72logo.jpg

Kelly----

Apparently the guy that reach out to me had 'heard' it was his wife's niece that drew....Not so! it wasn't a 16 year old....

Robb

PS-in that Copy right pic....none of those rams would break 150 in my thoughts.

Those Pasture Rams hang just west of 44 coming out of Manila, just past the Neff Ranch as you drive up the first big curve, before the rifle range.

The south side of that pasture road is BLM ground.

Usually lot's of Ewe's in that pasture too.

Robb

I think those are the same rams I have photos of (black and white), watering on the Gorge. That or at least I have photos of some of their kin. Same general area and the small ram in my photo had a collar on and well I would be interested in knowing if someone else has photos of these sheep as they have grown to see if its the same ram. If I can find the photo I will post pics.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

That should be Broadbent Ranch not the Neff Ranch--my bad....

88 they do work that corridor down to Sheep Creek bay...

Robb

I went scouting around that BLM land and did see some Ewes. Also saw some around the sheep creek area. I didn't get to scout lodgepole creek or red rock though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom