Reservation Hunting

N

neariz

I saw pics of the HOG from Wyoming, approaching 300", I believe the 40" was from a Reservation. Haven't heard much else about hunting success on reservations(other than Jicarilla of course). Any success or suggestions? I know there's hunts on Ute, Zuni, and probably many others. I've hunted on the Navajo the last two years... limited success (28" and none), but the stories are there. Just a question...

I've seen some sweet bucks on the navajo. a few real keepers in 12(obviously) The jic goes without sayin but outside of those I wouldnt spend my money on any others except maaaybee the southern ute up by arkansas loop.

Shedcrazy

what unit on the Navajo Res. do you hunt? I've been successful in unit 3 the last 3 yrs.

I'm not sure about any other reservations in the U.S. Only enrolled Arapaho and Shoshones may hunt on the Wind River Res where the big buck was taken here in Wyoming. But there are a few in Canada that might be worth looking into. Especially in Sask where only residents can hunt. I'll be curious about what others have to say.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-05 AT 09:20AM (MST)[p]I am also unsure how many reservations allow muley hunting on their land. I haven't heard about, but a few of them here in the U.S. I have never hunted any of those reservations, and I do believe your chances of getting a true trophy are pretty good on their land....simply because of the way they manage their herds (even tribal members have to put in for hunt drawings).

As for the rest of the reservations, who don't allow non tribal member hunting(I can only speak for mine), I believe the land surrounding ours (off reservation) has way better deer density than we got. Our seasons just run too long and though we have the proper regulations, they just don't get the proper enforcement and backup in our judicial system. Thus non-natives actually have a better chance in getting a big old buck than us natives do. I feel pretty confident in saying that half of all big bucks or bulls taken on my reservation are taken with some illegal factor involved and I wouldn't doubt a majority of other reservations are in the same situation.

We hunted this past year on an Indian Reservation in Sask - they had some huge mulies on the reservation, but the Indian's have no clue how to manage their lands. It was the poorest hunt I have ever been on, but I did manage to get a 181 B&C Gross 5x5 Mulie with great mass - nets in the low to mid 160's. You would definately want to hunt with an outfitter that has a proven track record and treats his clients right.

Is there a F&W game department on that rez in Sask ? If so the impetus on game management would fall on them. Maybe they just dont know how to or know why they should manage for optimum results. Seems to me if they are offering guided or non guided hunts and people are paying for them they oughta manage correctly.

Understand that the indians can hunt the deer at anytime during their set season by any means. The three outfitters that hunt the reservation request to the tribal members that thye give them their room, but nothing the F&G on the rez can do about it.

They chase em with trucks, horses, and are constantly disturbing them. We were setup on a great spot, but a native came and hunted 200 yards above us and completely screwed everything up. They even run them with dogs for fun...

The Rez doesn't realize or doesn't want to realize the economic impact of the hunting by non-natives. You live and you learn, I definately learned alot from this trip and won't be going back.

Here is that Beast!
k5og.jpg

Texas Hunter- I see or read rather more about the abuses of natural resources by tribal people across the country and it sickens me. As a native I still respect the gift we were given as caretakers of the resource but sadly alot of people have forgotten that part of our culture and kill at will.

Some kill at times when, 200 years ago we would have never been out hunting and that is allowed by their governing body which is the ultimate authority on what does or does not go on within the boundaries of their reservations.

Some Councils are protectors of the resource and some just collect their Council checks and let the chips fall where they may.

I can't speak for the other tribes but I know what we do every year to adjust the tags so that the resource isn't negatively impacted.

my .02

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom