Right or Left?

onemoreridge

Hey guys I am fairly new to the site and even newer to archery hunting. I do most my humting with a muzzy or rifle but archery hunting has been getting my attention for the last little while and I would like to have the option of being able to hunt any season with any type of weapon. The problem that I have is that I shoot left handed, but I am very right hand dominant in everything else that i do. Which is the better way to learn how to shoot a bow, right or left? I know most will say to go to a pro shop and try it out and I am planning on it but i just wanted to see if anyone had this same problem and how you handled it or some helpful hints to know before I head to a shop. Thanks for the help.

Im left handed and can shoot about as good as any of my friends. I don't think it matters as long as you are comfortable with it. There seems to be alot more gear on the shelf at stores intended for a right handed shooter but you can get about anything you want in left hand, just might have to order it.

Which is your dominant eye? Whatever that is shoot that hand side so you eliminate issues associated with it eye dominance. I know a right hander that shoots a left handed bow because he is left eye dominant. He does very well.

GBA

you do not want to learn to shoot one way or the other. Go with your instict. If you are left eye dominate, then that is what is most natural and you will be more comfortable and accurate. I am left eye dominate but 100% right handed. I shoot a bow and rifle left handed. When I was a kid I had a terrible time shooting a gun untill I sub-consciencly shouldered the gun left handed and it was lights out. It is kinda of frustrating becouse no one stocks much left handed bows or rifles, but I would not let that be a deciding factor.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-10 AT 08:56PM (MST)[p]By the way, the local archery shop has a 2010 mathews monster(left) for 600. They said it retails for 800? It is only 50-60lb and someone backed out on the sale which they special ordered. I was told that it was shooting 300+ feet at 54lb with a 11 pound pull at full draw. Seems to fast to be true but I wouldnt know?

You say you Muzzy hunt and Rifle hunt; I would shoot a Bow with the same comfortable orientation as you use with those because they use similar focal points etc for the sights.

I am left handed, but shoot Guns etc right handed (right Eye Dominant) so shooting a Righty bow was a non-issue.

?-ERock-> ?

You'll be holding your bow with your strong arm and sighting with your dominate eye. Given that is the absolute best setup you can have from a shooting standpoint nature dealt you a pat hand. You'll easily learn the mechanics and with practice you'll begin to understand you have an advantage. Left handed bows are hard to come by but you'll learn how to play the game and do the research to buy the models that shoot well. Hitting what you're shooting at is always worth giving up a few ft/sec in velocity and contrary to popular belief shooting the fastest bow isn't going to make you a better shot especially with a bow. Consistancy, accuracy, reasonable speed and execution will usually win the day with any bow in any venue. Being able to find a bow that enables YOU to shoot meeting those factors will make the sport more enjoyable for you and will only boost your confidence as your skills improve. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, it looks like I will be trying to find a left handed bow and hopefully have it all worked out by this fall so that i can do some hunting with it. Also any suggestions on shops to check out or brands as I said before I am new to the archery game.

I would go with the side you can comfortably pull the most weight with. I can pull 46 lbs left, and 72 right... I know I am a weakling. The nice thing about left is you can buy used bows really cheap like because very few people shoot left and people are desperate to sell them. Right has the advantage that almost all the accessories are for right handed bows.

Dillon

If I were you I would shoot the way that it is easiest to draw a bow. I say this because I am right handed and am left eye dominant. It is beyond uncomfortable to draw and shoot a bow left handed. I just close my left eye this is the same way that i shoot guns.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom