RIP Spidy

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-08 AT 07:54PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-08 AT 07:50?PM (MST)

That is THE BIGGEST bull I have ever seen!!!! As many have already said, i agree on how this bull hid up throughout the hunts is absolutley amazing. Obviously, this bull took some serious man power to find and harvest. I am a huge advocate of DIY hunts but thats because I feel that I am a half way decent hunter being taught by my father. However, the Mossback empire holds almost every trophy animal record in the state because they have the man power and hunting skills to get it done i guess. Congrats to the guides invloved and the hunter. Ha Ha i sure wouldnt mind the tip I'm sure Doyle recieved. LOL

hey peakfreak... you guys had several other hunters u were guiding with valid utah tags. You guys would have got into serious trouble if you would have got one of them and taken them to spidey huh. even though mr gov tag had other blown opportunities at him. that's definitely not fair to those other mossback hunters period. I can see giving him first crack but those other guys paid a lot of money for leftovers.

>You know, its just a guess, but I doubt Mr. Austad gives a >f&ck whether or not you respect him.

>But I agree - to each his own.

MUHUHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHA!!!! +10 thebuckstopshere

~Z~

I was rooting for Spidey to get away or be taken by a DIY hunter BUT $170,000 is a lot more money than all of us crackpots on MM will every pump into the DWR management programs ten bucks at a time. Sucks that the rich guy always seems to get ahead, but that's life everywhere. We should just say "thank you, kind Doctor for your donation." Next time I'll get the monster....oh yeah, that will be in 37 years and he'll be dead and I'll be using a cane...damn! RIP Spidey.

He with the most money does make the rules. I understand where both sides are comming from and Im sure there are positives and negitives to both sides but as a ordinary Joe it does suck knowing that you will never have the money to buy the best of everything ect. But it doesnt mean as an ordinary Joe you dont have the same opportunity as the man with the money. Spidey could of fallen to anybody it was just ment to be that Deny put the bull down. The only thing I can honestly say about these gov. tags is they shouldnt be eligible for B&C or Pope and Young because I think it breaks the fair chase code for the above mentioned 4 mounths of chasing the same bull really isnt fair chase IMO. I dont care that these bulls are falling to the gov. tag guys because those guys with the cash are contributing alot of money back to the ground. Just make these types of tags inelegible for the books and see what happens.

Congrats to Deny and team Mossback. I cant wait to see the rabbit they pull outa their hat next year it keeps getting better and better.

Also Congrats to the state of Utah. for another true Legend.

>hey peakfreak... you guys had several
>other hunters u were guiding
>with valid utah tags. You
>guys would have got into
>serious trouble if you would
>have got one of them
>and taken them to spidey
>huh. even though mr gov
>tag had other blown opportunities
>at him. that's definitely not
>fair to those other mossback
>hunters period. I can see
>giving him first crack but
>those other guys paid a
>lot of money for leftovers.
>
hey stinkystomper...looks like you know more than I do so could you be more specific? I wasn't guideing anybody that had a tag in Spideyville and I've never heard of a "Utah tag"...can you explain?

Wow, I can't even log on to Mossback, could be a few others are trying too???

I am ok with how and why he was gotten, but it does bring up some of the same emotions I feel when I take an animal:

Elation
Awe
saddness.

The king is dead, long live the king!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-08
>AT 07:33?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-08
>AT 07:32 PM (MST)

>
>couessniper
>
>don't know why you are booing
>so bad. over on
>cw.com same thing.
>
>i believe some of those booing
>have used outfitters and "several"
>individuals to help them out
>with the harvest of giant
>animals of their own?????

Are you sdrhunter? To answer your question, yes I have used outfitters and guides before and yes I have harvested trophy animals. That is not why I am booing. The outfitter is this case was not one of the good guys, IMO. I'm sure they hunted hard and put a ton of work into killing that bull, I'm just not a fan of his. I think you may have some sort of involvement with him and like I said this is only my opinion so I'll leave it at that. If you would like to continue this, send me a pm and we can talk further. My comment will probably get nuked anyways.

kevin

snipersmilie.gif

Congrats to Denny and Doyle and their crew for a job well done. Focus and determination to not settle for anything less than their goal and a willingness to go the distance; just because he's able to do that doesn't make Denny a bad guy now does it? All I can see is that because he is able, he chooses to spend his $$$ on something that really floats his boat....and you can't say you wouldn't/don't do the same thing, albeit most likely on a completely different scale. And just because he spent a ton of $$$ to get both this opportunity and also get the job done, don't for a second think that he didn't most probably hunt his butt off and have the experience of a lifetime doing it....I guarantee Spidey was not hanging around in a hay field that you could drive a 4-wheeler up onto. Most likely Spidey's hidey-hole was some sick, thick, near vertical hellhole that obviously took a huge amount of time and effort to find, much less get into and hunt. And it took a ton of man-hours to find it....not something one or even several hunters could reasonably expect to accomplish without a ton of luck....so I guess you could say Denny's "crime" here may have been that he bought some luck eh? Maybe his goals aren't quite like yours or mine .... I don't think that makes him a bad guy, but it certainly says something about his willingness to do whatever it takes to get the task as he sees it done. Also, Denny is not a young guy (check out the Mossback videos) and if he limited himself to drawing tags to do what he obviously loves, my guess is he'd never get the chance to hunt Utah elk again. So he chooses to buy an auction tag, in fact the ultimate auction tag because he can, he hires who he obviously thinks is the most capable outfitter/guide out there, and then goes out with a single-minded goal to harvest the highest quality bull(s) he can. Hmmmm....sounds like a seriously focused winner who I'd love to share a campfire with. I'd bet he does the same thing regarding his work and other aspects of his life....probably why he can afford such pastimes as this don't ya think? Me? I'm no Denny Austad, but I did luck out and draw a NR So. Utah LE bowhunt bull tag this year, and because scouting trips were 1900 miles one way, I hired who I thought would be the most capable outfitter/guide out there to maximize what I thought at the time would be a once in a lifetime experience since I'm 53 yrs. old and I can't even apply again for a LE tag in Utah for 5 more years. I'll let you guess who I picked for an outfitter. Awesome hunt and experience!!! Huge bulls observed and chased more frequently than I've ever had the opportunity to do before in 25 years of hunting these buggers, and seriously tough vertical hunting from dark to dark.... lost 10 lbs that week but I can't say I ever found that bull that I've heard on this and other sites that these guys were supposed to have tied up for me so I could waltz in and stick it without breaking a sweat. Seriously, my two guides were absolutely serious, totally ethical and fun hunting partners; I'd love to return the favor and take them to my favorite elk haunts like they did for me; that's what my $$$ paid for and it was WAY worth it. Results? Got a super bull and had the hunt of a lifetime ...... at least so far. Had so much fun that I'm now gonna start saving my buckaroos and build up the kitty with the singleminded focus of a Denny Austad so I can buy a great tag in a great unit ASAP before I'm too old to do it again. This is much too fun (hunting over the top high quality bulls) to just do once every 15 years or so ... don't ya think!!??? Hunt hard guys however you can cause next thing ya know....game over!

What I meant by utah tag is a valid tag for the area you guys were hunting. I can understand that the gov tag put a lot of money into that bull in the first place, but I'm just curious if any of the other hunters mossback was guiding had a chance at him or not, and did they understand the circumstances? I do understand and agree with the gov tag getting first crack at that bull when mossback found him, and maybe my comments a little bit ago were a little off, sorry. On the lighter side of things, I do agree with a lot of the other hunters on here. I will also say that those jealous of the money trail are simply jealous. Everyone has to at least admit this; it was Doyle Moss vs. the entire rest of the 2008 utah elk hunters. Who won? Doyle Moss did, and I guarantee that the rest of you cry babies greatly outnumbered Doyld Moss. He beat every other hunter in utah in 2008 and I think that speaks volumes for Doyle Moss. Way to go Doyle and you should have the respect of all of us. You guys undoubtedly earned that bull. Lets just give credit where credit is due. Biggest of Congrats going out to Doyle, not necessarily the hunter. However I wouldn't have minded being the one to shoot him even though I am one of the few who want a 400 main frame 6 instead of spidey.

"Maybe his goals aren't quite like yours or mine.." Nor his methods to attain those goals, and I'm sure everyone's formula for goals/methods/success is going to be different. Oh well....to each his own like ya say.....as long as they're within the law and one's sense of fair chase (knowing everyone's sense of this will vary both individually and maybe even according to the situation at hand). My cup's half full....I think most of us serious hunters value the fair chase aspect of what we do and each try our darndest to honor it as best we can.

Wow that is some serious bone. I made the prediction last year that Utah mountains could give up new world records for each category, Archery, Muzzleloader, Rifle. Looks like are almost there. Utah has the current WR muzzy bull, while the muzzy bull taken on the beaver unit could contend for the title.awesome to see what the next couple of years and how many new records will be broken. Congrats to the hunter
Lambo

666, you and I must have been on a different unit. I never saw more than about five or six trucks at their camp, and never saw any helicopter other than life flight one day when there were a ton of ATV riders up there. I figured the helicopter was coming to airlift someone off the mountain. It sure as hell wasn't assisting someone on a hunt, not where it was and how fast it was flying when I saw it.

Where do you guys come up with this crap? I wish I had that vivid of an imagination.

I hunt in nm every year diy for elk deer antelope oryx ibex and anything else that moves. I will be hunting next year in utah and absolutely do not have the time to make scouting trips all the way up there every other weekend when it gets close to the hunt. Why in heck will I buy a $30,000 tag and not hire someone to do what I am not capable of doing? Guess we all need to quit hunting other states and stick to our own states. Guess I need to find another passion when I cross state lines, haha.

I guess if you want to call that hunting, 500 people wow what a sport. I get sick and tired of that type of activity taking place while other people that spend years drawing those tags getting bugged by the MB Crew. How could you even put that in the B and C Book. It should fall under that canned hunt catigory. Do it yourself like everybody else MB.

don't know what you are talking about getting bugged by the MB crew. did you read caelknuts posts all season long? i don't think he had one problem with those MB helpers looking for spidey. fill me in.

Don't worry stinkystomper, at least now you know how some people will regard you. Not that I think you'd care that much. If you need a good guide reference, you know I can help you.

Bulldog,
I had two family members with tags on Monroe this year. I spent every weekend up there from July to September and did not run into one of MB guides.

If it was a canned hunt it would have been over in August!
80+ DIY hunters had the chance of getting that bull before today. That's about as fair chase as it gets.

I'm glad they got him so we don't have to go through this BS again next year.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-08 AT 11:02PM (MST)[p]I had vowed to not post anthing along with all the foolish crap that is posted here, but....

"20 guides
30 spotters
1 helicopter"

Are the numbers thrown around on this subject verified or is this just speculated gossip. I think if some of you didn't have something to whine and cry about or a finger to point at someone you'd have nothing to do.

Have any of you ever met this guy to make any sort of accusation as to the kind of hunter or person he is. Some of you are throwing this guys name around like he's a criminal.

I don't think I'd care for that kind of a hunt, but I don't have that kind of money anyway. I was pulling for the bull to make it and if not a DIY guy, but the pathetic whining is enough to turn anyone's stomach.

Do some of you really care who killed the bull. I doubt the bull cared who pulled the trigger.....DIY or Outfitted.

Maybe its just the late night making me grumpy

www.newcobowhunter.blogspot.com

Is there anyone out there that saw this bull or one that could have evolved into the spider last year on the Monroe or surrounding areas?

Unbelievable! I cannot believe the boobs around here. A moss client killed him. Who cares? The only people who should be pissed are the 60 monroe tag holders, and they should be mad at themselves.

Wow rifle666- you are to the point..

39 words posted
2 exaggerated numbers
0 knowledge of hunter
0 knowledge of hunt
1 expert on the subject
1 man's opinion

It's just to bad that one of our LOCAL BOYS didn't get this monster. It just shows that persistance pays of. You do have to congrats the Mossback boys, they know their stuff and they are good at what they do. ( I say that while cringing!!)

Hopefully someone will have pics soon and get'em on the forums.

Is this hunt-by-numbers kind of killing legal? Yes. Unfortunately. Is it ethical? That's a personal opinion. Mine and everyone I talk to have the same opinion. No. Moss plays by the rules, and kills some massive animals. No doubt about it. But I for one sure hope they put some type of regulation on this kind of stuff. It's getting out of hand. Rich guys buying minions to scour the hills for the biggest and baddest and make videos about it. My version of hunting is certainly different. And to you guys that agree with me- buying this dude's video, or any of his other crap, is just feeding the fire and contributing to the demise of the sport we love.

Hobbes.."I was pulling for the bull to make it and if not a DIY guy, "

You said it...and you are ripping others for saying the same thing... ?????

170K was the tag cost? Dang....

Is this him??? I didn't even look that close at it..I think it could be though. Got sent to me a few minutes ago...cant wait to see some better ones...
spidey.jpg

NUNYA,

Could you explain how the 170K is going into Utah habitat conservation and not in Doyle's back pocket? Just curious...

Also, is this Denny Austead the rich doctor that comes up and takes a nice trophy with Doyle every year?

LOL @ HOBBES

if your serious , then you have some real issues. get some help man.

YA IT WAS EXAGERRATED!!! that was the POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

look i don't call that type of thing hunting, it was money killing a big ugly bull.

my opinion. so what??????

live life one mule deer at a time.

come on caelknut you know that life flight helicopter was a hoax. the pilot was covertly on the mossback pay roll. Didn't you see the flir on the underside. The gov tag guy paid about $15mil to have that thing installed for covert heat signature night scouting. And all those four-wheelers you saw??? yep, you guessed it, all mossback team members sent just for you. They were makin sure you didn't find spidey. Freakin Doyle Moss. AIG is his fault!!!!

BBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I really crack myself up.

Your right I was pulling for the bull or a DIY, but I'm not loosing any sleep over who killed the bull. And, I'm not making accusations about them or how they hunt like a number of people on here are. I know the numbers were probably exagerated, but what are the numbers. Three guys, Five guys???? What number did it need to be to make you guys happy?

www.newcobowhunter.blogspot.com

SPIDY PICS ARE UP!!

The pics are up on Mossback.com... What a monster! I wish he would have survived. The genes on that bull would be priceless! I hope he had a chance to pass them on! Come on Spidy Jr.!

RE: SPIDY PICS ARE UP!!

I want to go off on a bit of a tangent for a moment. There are more than a few people who have suggested this bull was farm raised, so I want to point out a few things that are obvious to most thinking people to lay that ridiculous claim to rest.

#1 Do you think that Moss, or anyone else, would actually release a bull like this on Monroe? That mountain is tough to hunt for a specific bull, and anyone doing this would run a huge risk of someone else killing it.

#2 That bull would be worth a fortune to someone who wanted to shoot him on a high fence operation. I despise that type of shooter as much as anyone on here does, and this was in NO WAY that kind of situation.

#3 If that bull were in fact a captively bred bull, the greatest value from him would have been for his semen. Even more so than for his antlers.

So, I implore you, the next time some unthinking individual suggests this bull is anything less than a genuine wild elk, think for a moment about my comments. Jealousy and ignorance seem to run rampant too often when a great bull such as this is killed under the circumstance that surrounds any governor's tag hunt.

I have to admit, I was never a frequenter of hunting forums until recently. I always hunted growing up, but back then there were no computers or forums. I got away from hunting while I was in the service, but a couple years ago I started back into the sport and like many of you it has started dominating my interests. While preparing for this years elk hunt, I started reading hunting forums to hear about rumors and maybe get an idea of new areas to scout and hunt. Low and behold, the first forum I visit has a video of a huge bull and next thing I know is I am caught up in Spider Fever.

So I start following the threads and every one of them seem to turn into a bashing/defending of some guy named Doyle. It was only a couple years ago that I moved to Utah, so I had no idea who Doyle was or why it was such a big deal. Being the rational person I am, I did some searching and found out he was Mossback. While many of the bashers painted a picture of an evil villain that is the worst thing to happen to Utah hunting, the defenders made him sound like just the opposite. The problem is that it was all just rumors and hearsay on both sides. To get a better picture of him, I decided to rely on what could be easily verified as fact. The one, most telling fact I found is a video of Doyle carrying a disable hunter on his back up a mountain in order for him to take a deer. Every year Doyle gives a free guided hunt to a disable hunter, which to me shows he is a better person that he gets credit for. Until such time as someone has proof of him or his guides doing something illegal or unethical, I'm going to look at him as a guy that not only consistently finds the best trophies, but who does it while helping those who would otherwise have no chance to get into that caliber of game.

As for the spider bull kill, I have somewhat mixed emotions on it. In the end, I have decided I'm glad it was a Mossback hunter that got him. Yes, it would have been nice to read about some Cinderella story of a guy on a DIY hunt defying the odds and taking it without help or spotters, but that's all it would be. Just a story to read about and a couple pictures. With Mossback guiding the hunt, we all now have the opportunity to watch this hunt as it unfolds. Hopefully he will do it right and make an entire video dedicated to this one hunt, starting with the initial scouting of Spidey, the heartbreak of Mr. Austad missing with his first chance, only to get a second chance weeks later. Then we get to see the joy and excitement as they finally take what will almost certainly be the new world record for many years to come.

As some poor guy from up north that still camps in a tent, I know I will never have the opportunity to hunt with guides. Hopefully one day I will draw out on one of the LE hunts, but if I do I'll be on a DIY. If I had the money though, you can bet I would be the first to call up Doyle. The hard work and effort he and his staff put into his clients success is incontrovertible, and in the end the results speak for themselves.

What saddens me most about the whole spider bull mania is what has transpired between members of this and other forums. Perhaps I have just been lucky, but all the hunters I have met have been some of the most honest, helpful people. I don't know if it is an honest dislike of guides, jealousy of the results that Mossback produces, or just 12-year-olds with an elevated sense of internet bravado. What I do know is the fighting between forum members does more harm to the perception of hunters in general than any law abiding guide service could ever do.

To the people that say hunting is now a rich mans sport, take a step back and really look at it. 99% of hunters do not hire guides or pay for spotters. We just go into the mountains, set up a camp, and hunt - same as they did 100 years ago. Anyone can buy an over the counter tag for just $35, and just about everyone in the state lives within an hour or two of good public hunting land. Any Utah resident can hunt both deer and elk every year of their life for a very small amount of money. After hunting in Nevada as a youth, it's amazing how good we have it here in Utah. Sure, it sucks that it takes 10, 12, or 15 years to draw out on a LE hunt, but we can buy tags in years we don't draw. I was never lucky enough to draw a Nevada elk tag, but from what I understand if you draw an elk tag you cannot even apply for another elk tag for 5 years. If you happened to kill an elk on your hunt, the wait is 10 years. During that waiting time you still have to put in for a deer draw and get a tag hopefully every other year. Utah has a huge amount of game, large areas of public hunting, and tags on the cheap for anyone that wants one, every single year.

There are negatives and positives to every facet of life. Instead of focusing on the negatives or what you think should be changed, why not look more closely at the positives. We as hunters get the opportunity to do help manage game populations while doing something we love. We get to take that animal home and have plenty of healthy meat to last most of the year. We get to spend time in the outdoors with other people that share our interests and passions. We get to meet people that, for the most part, are the most honest and friendly people you could ever want to meet.

As for me, I'm going to get back to packing my gear. I'm leaving tomorrow for an open bull hunt on public land where I'm sure to see no monsters, but plenty of nice average elk. I'm going to sit by a fire with friends and family, tell stories and roast hot dogs, and be reminded why hunting season is easily the most satisfying time of the year. When I get back, whether I get an elk or not, I will have new memories to last a lifetime. And in a few months, I'm going to be able to buy a video showing the new world record being shot?.in Utah?.on public land. For me, the cup is half full.

Lets not forget, all the money which Mr. Austad paid will contribute greatly to conservation funds which help ensure the opportunity for our future hunting. Congrats to the mossback crew and to the hunter. That bull is freakin' huge.

Simply put, The Mossback crew are the best at what they do. I congradulate them. Wholeheartedly.

The hunter can afford to pay for the auction tag and chooses to do so. I congradulate him also. He could have chosen to contribute $170K to PETA.....he did not.

There should be no reason for anyone to dispute the success or the ethics of this, or any other hunt, whatsoever.

Negative comments posted on here are, the viewpoints of jealous hypocrits, with a childs portion of reality.

Don't you have difficulty finding room in your daypack for all this "self righteous indignation"? And I won't even think about the weight of everyone else's "moral shortcomings", you feel must be supplemented by you. How do you have room for your "Gummy Bears" and "Holy water" in there?

You guys may be great hunters, but you aren't great thinkers....except when it comes to snivvel and whine issues.

The attitude that; "You don't do it the way I do it.....therefore you are wrong", makes me sick.

The attitude that; "Just because someone has a lot of money, dosen't mean they should have those good tags", makes me think you should have paid more attention in school and gone more often.

danwhip, first of all, WELCOME to Monster Muleys. That was a very well reasoned and articulate first post. Your comments are appreciated by many. I hope it's the first of many posts that you contribute.

That is one monster bull. Congrats to the shooter he paid for a real quality rack.

I've never posted on any of the Spider Bull threads...just sat back and shook my head at all the bickering.

danwhip: +1

Thanks man.

WOW!
Nice to see so many opinions out there. Some guys hunt with guides there whole life and some don't ever use a guide at all.
I used one on my desert sheep hunt because I personally didn't know anything about sheep hunting. It was money well spent in my opinion, but then again it was just me and my guide and he spent a week there before I arrived for a two week hunt.
There is no laws saying you can't take 50 buddies with you on a hunt if you want or pay 50 guys to go with you.
I personally don't know what I would do because I doubt I will ever have an extra 170K to pay for an Elk tag.
Bottom line he bought the tag spent the money on some of the best guides around and was rewarded with the best Elk to date.

Congratulations on a great ELK!!

This is funny the ones that think he was taken fair chase say every one else are just jealous. Wow, there is no one I know that thinks this is ok. Nothing aginst Doyle or his crew. Doyle is without a doubt a good business man. His guides are probably good hunters. Having people watching for months for him to show up then making a phone call and going and shooting him is not fair chase. And hell yes if I was rich I would be buying tags all over the place and even pay a guide on some. But it would be the guide and me hunting not call when you corner a good one.

Are there just the two pictures on the front page of the Mossback site, or am I missing a link to others?

Mark

Yah they are the same, I just thought it was easier to bring them over to MM. They are also a little bigger now.

That looks more like speed goat country than a hiding place for a monster elk. Do you think they caught him out in the open sage like that?

it cracks me up to see all the posts about this bull, particularly the "I'm sick of hearing about Spidey" ones...whether it is a negative or positive comment it is what makes this bull a legend....keep'em coming!

So I have heard some interesting rumors about this bull, I heard that it was confinscated because it is supposidly shipped down here from Canada, or that it came from a ranch and now thay are going to do some sort of DNA testing on it to see where it came from. That sounds a little far fetched if you ask me, so is anyone else heard anything like that?

Hands down to mossback... they put the time in! they have someone there all summer trying to find him even know they lost him for awhile they still got it done! it has to do with hard work a lot of scouting and patience.. its funny how everyone disses on them when all the diy hunters couldnt get it done but mossback did. nice job team mossback and Kalan for an outstanding bull!

"that looks more like speed goat country than elk.."
I am guessing no one was looking in that area and that's why he lasted so long. I would like to see that video too.
Thanks Bighornrocks for posting those pics on MM.

Where they found him a couple weeks ago was in a much thicker area. This was a large mountain area right across from where I camped, and it doesn't look like where they finally found and killed him at all, even though the areas are only a few miles apart.

The area where the photos were taken looks very similar to the country east of Big Flat, that runs all the way over toward Box Creek Reservoirs. There is a mix of Aspen and open sage country, some of which is totally open and some of which is very thickly forested. It is rolling country where I was told a large number of elk spend the rut doing what elk do at this time of year. I actully hunted quite a bit in that country. if they killed him out in that sage, I have to believe it was very early in the morning while he was following cows back to a bedding area. Like many men, it appears that his 'other brain' may have led to his downfall.

I finally heard from the mossback guys about the real story. Appearantly Mr Austead wasn't doing so well there for a while. After a couple check ups etc... He got a clean bill of health and headed back out. At this point in the game Doyle let Spidey out of the barn and had the life flight helicopter pick him up and transport him back to the monroe. After Mr. Austead was in position they untied spidey, again, for another shot!

It's not Bush's fault, its Doyle's fault. haha. This thread is really quite comical. Great job Doyle! bout dang time we showed them indians what a real public land bull looks like with sound management and no roids. congrats should also be given to the udwr, they've obviously done a great job as well. Wouldn't you all agree.

I have seen a few different pics of this bull and its simply prehistoric looking! Best pic I have seen so far is not a kill shot and it shows the length of all the tines, its just amazing!

What a great magnificent animal, the only thing that makes my stomach turn is the lack of respect the MB guys have for this animal. I mean to tarnish this beautiful animal by putting him in the back of a Chevy, what an insult :). Seriously though congrats to everyone involved and when I win the powerball I will insist my guide put my trophy in the back of a Ford.

Pretty sad how, because a man is successful and wishes to use HIS money how HE see's fit, he is automatically condemned and considered unsportsmanlike. specially from a bunch of internet 'pro's' who know it all when it concerns guided hunting and those who use them. How many of you can honestly say you know and have met Denny?? i can and from what i know of the man he is anything but unsportsman like. He is however, happy, and that, last time i checked is what matters. he is out doing exactely what all of you want too, enjoying the outdoors, hunting and having the best experience money can buy. Congrats to him and please denny if ya happen to see this keep Spending your money here in Utah, helping maintain and enhancing our hunting!!

As for the great Mossback, congrats on getting it done again. My opinion of Doyle and his company is mine and i dont need to feel tough, or great by sharing it. Don't lump me in as a member of the mossback mens love club. I just believe that until proven guilty, he and his company are legit and should be treated as such.

BTW im very curious to see how this pans out personally, till its proven fraudulant its legit, is how i feel, but this bull raises more than a few question marks. I hope it stands for Denny's sake, so, he can lay claim to two of UT's trophy bulls.

Once again Congrats Denny!!
littlebeaver.jpg

Wildlife population control specialist

My hell that is an unbelievable bull!

I would actually buy a poster of that photo..

Thanks for posting those 2 photo's.

congrats to the hunter & MB.

Robb

Wow!! That is one big pile of bone!!

Whether you are for or against Doyle, he sure got the job done. I for one being a SS grad, am glad to see him come out of our mountain, a beautiful place!! I hope this record stays for a while to come. Look forward to seeing the video and how the bull really stands up to the official records.

Glad to see this thing end!! It has been quite the ride!!

I look forward to the video. Just as the photo is "top notch"... I assume the video of the unofficial pending world record bull will be " top notch" too. Congratulations, Denny and MB crew.

Is there such as thing as and Elk Holiday? Sept 30,2008 would make a great one! Don't you think? "National Spidey Day." Every man, woman, and child takes of work to get out in the woods to pay respect to Spidey! Get out and elk hunt would become mandatory. Yeah!

Can't wait until Expo... I'm sure he'll be there. Make it happen Doyle. Don't let us down.

Midnight

I personally spoke to Mr. Austad today as he was in route home from Utah.He said that this hunt was one the most physically and mentally challenging hunts he has ever been on,and this gentleman is a hunter.He was very humble and said when he killed the bull it was a very surreal moment.A huge congrats to Mr. Austad and the entire Mossback crew.

NUNYA,

I have to retract my reply to you since I was ignorant and did not know that Denny was the Governors tag holder.

I would still however, like to know for curiosity how much Spidey ended up costing the hunter.

I figure just with the 170K tag, Guide fees (what Doyle charged), tips (for the guides and all thier hard work), I am figuring it cost him around a total of 350K???
That doesn't include Denny's time, gas, lodging, food, etc.

Since your son is one of Doyle's guides and you are quite up to speed with Mossback, is 350K pretty close.

Just wondering...

RE: SPIDY PICS ARE UP!!

elknuts,

Just to set the record straight, I for one am not jealous for not getting this animal. Would I have liked to had harvested him? Damn rights! I just know I would never have the chance when I can only rely on drawing a tag for that unit which will never happen in my lifetime:)

I also agree with you on Mossback never transplanting a farm raised animal on that mountain. But could someone else have done it?? I don't know and wouldn't even want to guess.

It is just a little bazzar that Spidey was only seen for the first time this year. Now let's consider the amount of hunters, guides, and everyone else that scouts that mountain year after year and never have seen something freakish like him before? That does bring up a question on if he was a "planter" or not. I'm not saying he is, but it gives a little suspicion on how all of the sudden something massive shows up like that this year.

I've heard several rumors (as we all have) about how his sheds were found last year and he grew an additional 100 inches over a year but come on, is that even possible??

Again, I'm not saying he is farm raised but facts that he has never been seen on hoof before would bring suspicion to alot of people.

I guess the only thing that Doyle could do to let everyone know he is a genuine bull would be to have blood samples taken from Spidey from DWR or B&C (if it is even possible to find out that way). Hell, maybe even let CSI Miami look into it!

So when are the juice rumors goign to start?
That 502 San Carlos bull from years back had those rumors.
Crazy!!
Jeff

danwhip,

Very well put and gives us all something to think about.

Thank you for your words and good luck on your hunt. Bring us back some great stories!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-08 AT 00:35AM (MST)[p]>This is funny the ones that
>think he was taken fair
>chase say every one else
>are just jealous. Wow, there
>is no one I know
>that thinks this is ok.
>Nothing aginst Doyle or his
>crew. Doyle is without a
>doubt a good business man.
>His guides are probably good
>hunters. Having people watching for
>months for him to show
>up then making a phone
>call and going and shooting
>him is not fair chase.
>And hell yes if I
>was rich I would be
>buying tags all over the
>place and even pay a
>guide on some. But it
>would be the guide and
>me hunting not call when
>you corner a good one.
>
.........."there is no one I know that thinks this is OK"...........,Well, OK Bearman.......but do you actually KNOW anybody who might have a high school diploma....earned before age 23?

danwhip, great first post, welcome. As a long time follower of hunting forums especially this one and a new official member I couldnt have put it better then you did. Fill us in on your hunt when you get back, wish I could be out there as well.

R u Kiddin. This is the Mossback crew that yur talkin about.You know that he forces them to video tape every kill they make, too much money to be made of of the vid. Im sure that you wont be dissapointed. It is just amazing to finnally see our mountains give up some real monsters, and be a top contender in the record books, even rivaling our Arizonian neighbors. It has finnally been a pretty dang good year for all of us in the west. And yes to our friend from Southy Sevier, I think that Richfield is finnally on the mapand that the legendary SPIDEY will be on top of the list for a while
Lambo

I got a chance to congratulate Denny and he expressed how this hunt was so exhausting. The thing I really admired in him was how sincerely humble he was for the opportunity to hunt and harvest this great bull. There was no boasting or bragging, just a sincere appreciation of a great animal.
I also want to thank Denny and Doyle for taking the time to let the locals see this amazing animal around town. Doyle told me that he was a local legend, and he wanted to let us all see such a great trophy. This will certainly put our quiet little area on the map, and help cement Utah as the greatest elk hunting state in the world.
I congratulate all those who spent the countless hours that were needed to harvest this animal. He was an amazing animal to be able to hide from the relentless searching from the many hunters, guides, and sightseers that covered the mountain for many weeks.
I appreciated CAelknuts comments and how even though he was one of the few hunters that were involved in searching for this great bull, he had no ill feelings towards any of the MB hunters, or any of the other hunters who were all searching as he was. I thought he showed a great deal of class and is the kind of sportsman we all need to pattern ourselves after.
He was closer to the action that 99.9% of the members posting on here, and he knew first hand what happened day to day, and his comments have more merit than most of what else has been posted here.
Again, congrats to those involved, and to Utah for creating a management plan that has allowed these bulls to mature and grow to the size that years ago was only a dream to most elk hunters. Now we all can have the opportunity to hunt these majestic trophies with a little luck.
Rick

O MY GOD THAT BULL IS AWESOME!!!!! Congrats to the MOSSBACK TEAM... 5004/8 Gross 488 Net Unoffical. Holy Crap Thats cool! So many hours put into that Great Bull is unimaginable by all the hunters... The Dream! A GIANT of a BULL... That Bull is History.... Lets see how long it takes to beat that Majestic Feat!!!

Awesome bull congrats to the team and hunter.I hope the story has a good ending. rolling eyes lol

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-08 AT 04:02PM (MST)[p]Well, I just received an email with pics of the Spider Bull. Definitely a moster bull! I don't believe the gentleman holding the antlers is the guy that harvested him, I believe he just wanted hold the famous antlers....Nice bull!

48ed2b9753452e10.jpg

48ed2baa53bf45ac.jpg

MuleyCrazed
Idaho

Let me pick any two of those muleys and that mounted bull, i'd swap spidey in a heartbeat.

Congrats to the Doyle, his hunter, and the MB crew. Doyle made this happen. That's what he does, none better!

Joey

Congrats to Mossback and Denny for this amazing bull. Mossback has a great team and without the help of the guides this wouldn't be possable. To be able to take a bull like that off the mountain is truly an accomplishment.

It cracks me up that people that are upset with the fact this guy paid so much money for his tag but it is guys like Denny putting money into our state that makes animals like this possable.

Also they didn't have 50 men up there. I'm sure this was a big client for mossback but it wasn't his only client.

To think a bull like this was taken off our home town mountain. Wow!!

Congrats to Denny for the new pending world record bull. And Congrats to Clint for finding him. You all put in alot of hard work, and you made it happen

Come on people. We have all heard that this bull was brought in from Canada, turned loose 4 months before the hunt and hearded into a field by Mossback for some guy to watch him. Get real. where are the sheds????

I read this on Kingsoutdoorworld blog page. The poster is Denny's son Wayne. It's an interesting commentary about both his father and the hunt.

". This is certainly not "high fence" hunting in an enclosure...? go check out map of the area in Utah, start looking at the terrain, and dense trees and downfall, and raw square miles. Since it was my dad, I am probably biased (how's that for randomness of blogs folks, I don't even hunt, I am just searching for pictures too since I got word from Mom on the success tonight. Something about "over 500").

Was Mossback guides a help in finding this bull, absolutely. Was donating to the State of Utah in a live fund raising auction to get the "Governors tag" a help with flexible dates and long season, not deniable. Does that make it "fair"...? I don't know, it is the system presented, and Dad only seeks the best at this stage in his life, be it wine, hunts, or salmon with green chile cream sauce.

But easy, fenced, come-and-go hunt,...not the case. After the 1st two weeks of straight hunting he came back so tired and he had to rest another 2 weeks before going out again. Also recognize that Dad spent months building the rifle used, his own personal design and unique caliber. He has a passion about all aspects of the hunt and preparation. He fires more practice shots in preparation for a single hunt then most do in a lifetime of hunting. 3 months of "training" and lost 20+ pounds to make sure he could out climb the guides. You should watch him gut and dress an animal (not letting the guides do it cause they don't get as much meat as he does), all the major organs saved and used for his dog if we can't eat them. Filleting fish, the same way, never seen his equal on efficiency and minimal waste.

Would it be nice if 1st time hunter got this bull. Well that is certainly the "root for the underdog" ethic in US, and would be cool story. Both Dad and I would smile in amazement, and have another glass of the grape. But instead, a poor boy from Mankato, Minnesota who has hunted and fished since he could walk, donating to old folks home what he could not eat as a young boy, and is now a self-made millionaire, donating his own forms of business advice and community service, trying to pack in as many high-end hunts as remains in this life (after winning the battle on...? never mind this is too personal and over the top...?). But you know, with a fine California Cabernet, that is a nice story too. He will even give you a bottle or two to take home, very tasty stuff I might add.

Eccentric? yes. Everyone's cup of tea? Maybe not. But Easy? No. Ethic of Hunting (with a capital "H" for those that read his old "Three Peat" article in Trophy Hunter Magazine)...? well that's a lot lot higher bar then just a "fence discussion". But if that is your binary test, it still an easy leap. Yes.

The one good thing about your overly harsh post is that having discussion on "raising the bar" on hunting ethics (respect for the land/landowner, the animal, the clean kill, the meat, gun safety, drink after the hunt not during)...good topic. I hope this will result in a higher fence in this "standard" discussion within the brotherhood of the fraternal order of...?

Hi Allen --thanks for the link, do you read this blog? You need to get back to the west. This blog stuff is to disconnected...

Wayne."

Thanks for sharing. He sounds like one heck of a guy from that blog. My problem is not with the man but in the manner of how these big animals are taken now days. I don't believe this is fair chase. It is not the old type of guiding, one on one and make a great hunt. It is now big business do what ever it takes to make a name for your self and make more money. If I had his money I would hunt as much as him to. Once again nothing against Denny only the manner of how big business hunting is.

Hmmm sounds like envy is all. Im not a fan of what mossback is but they get it done better than anyone else ever. Too assume denny has never been unsuccessful is pretty stupid, he is alot older than all of us and knowing him i would be willing to bet he as ate more tag soup than many of us combined. to work as long and as hard at something as he has, its only natural to want the best and the best is mossback and the hunt that they offer.

Now hossblur in all of your intelligence if this were just a shoot, not a hunt why did it take well over a month? Why wasnt he done opening day?? Elk hunting regardless of how many eyes you have and who you have looking, is a crap shoot at best come the rut, they move constantly long distances and elk know better than any other animal how to hide and not be found. any real hunter who is on the mountain knows this. yes im sayin your more of an internet expert as opposed to someone who makes a living on mountain who knows elk and what they are capable of.

littlebeaver.jpg

Wildlife population control specialist

I still think the type of hunting that goes on when big money hunters want a record bull is sad to see and reflects poorly on hunting to the non hunting public, but before we start braggin up the get em any way you can hunting and mossbacks superiority at this, think to yourself if this is what hunting means to you and if this is the type of value system between people and wildlife that young people should learn about? The Monroe was one the the first noted trophy bull areas in Utah then was kind of hunted out of huge bulls quickly, its known to be an easy area, not exactly a wilderness hunt, and wasn't that bull shown on the internet a few years ago bigger? some said it was taken on the selway, but was really killed on a game farm, maybe it was a tough hunt also, I read a story by the shooters and they said it wasn't that easy, I mean if the only thing we care about is antler size nothing else should matter

That thing is huge!!! I wonder how much that thing weighed? I sure would have liked to see him live but in many cases when a bull is that big that is likely not the case. Congrats to the hunter who took the shot. Again, what a beast!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom