Rivers West Gaters

FALCON

Anyone out there use them? I need a pair that will keep water out of my boots on my sheep hunt when I am climbing up creek beds to the high country.

Thanks,

Bryan

Well, I'm the one who knows. I was on a dall sheep hunt in Alaska in August and my buddy had their jacket, pants and gaitors. For 2 days we climbed up about 2500 feet through a creek bed. It rained a lot so the creek was full at about 3-8 inches. My boots got soaked in the first 10 minutes of day 1. After that, he gave me the gaitors to wear. My feet stayed dry after that. I intend to buy some. By the way, his feet stayed dry, wearing their pants.

SL:

Thanks for the reply. I don't need wet feet that will later lead to blisters. Tell us more about your hunt.

Bryan

We were in the Alaska Range on a 2X1 hunt. We finally found a herd of 12 rams in the absolute worst canyon within 25 miles (probably why they were there). The only way to get up to where they were was by taking the stream bed. It had cover & we didn't fight the alders that were ever where else. On day one, while I was soaked we got up to about 600 yards but couldn't get closer because of a buch of ewes and lambs. We were also above tree line so there wasn't any real cover. We backed down & decided to go again the next day (my buddy's turn). We decided to go up the creek a ways & then head straight up as high as we could go. The plan was to get up above the rams. It worked & he killed a nice 39" ram. Came down through the creek, packing the ram & meat.

SW:

Nice job! Sounds like some wicked country. I went out and bought a pair of the RW gaters today. I have never seen a gater like this before. I am confident it will do the job. Thanks for the tip.

Bryan

Anyone looking for a great set of gaitors should also check out the cabelas legacy wool with gortex. I have a pair it that fall guide camo color and they are awesome!!!!!!! I've even crossed rivers wearing them and if you dont stand around in the water like your a flyfisherman, they keep the water out. Great for crossing rivers and busting brush and snow. . . Heres a photo of me crossing a river wearing then. Hoofs&horns can attest, my feet did not get wet!

451d139c24113e23.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom