Road hunting

400bull

Very Active Member
In the Muzzleloader form a guy from AZ asked for some assistance on places in Central Utah to do a little road hunting this year for the Muzzleloader hunt. Instead of getting a little help he ended up getting a lot of slack on wanting to road hunt. My question to all of you is what is so wrong with road hunting that as soon as someone thinks about it everyone pulls out a can of Whoop Ars? If everyone on MM hunts the way they say they do (hikes back in a mile or two) what's so wrong with other hunters wanting to road hunt.

I look at road hunting as win win situation for me. Lets think about it here, If everyone else is road hunting and I'm not that means I have the area all to my self. If have the area all to me self I don't have to worry about someone parking their nasty little ars on the rock next to me and start puffing on a cancer stick. If the closest person to me is the one put-ton up and down the road a mile away I don't have to worry about them spoken the buck that I have scouted out during the summer. After the first morning every buck with in a couple hundred yards has been pushed off the road and into yours truly.

The only down side that I can see in letting everyone else road hunt is I don't have hunters making pushes to spook deer out of the thick cover and into the openings for me to shoot.

These are just some of my thoughts, I would really like to know what your thoughts are on ROAD HUNITING and why everyone thinks that road hunting is wrong and unethical.

400bull

The biggest problem with road hunting is using the word "hunting" in it. I love being in the outdoors. I love being so far out in the mountains that I don't see anyone. Most people on this sight have a passion for the wild places, and the thrill of the hunt. It's not all about the kill. And it seems to me that road "hunters" aren't out there for the thrill of the hunt, and the enjoyment of the outdoors, but simply to kill something. So, I say leave the tags for people who love hunting, and if the road hunters need meat that bad, they can probably buy it cheaper at the grocery store.

I agree with ya 400... Roadhunters are not a threat to me or my way of hunting. If they want to cruse up and down roads all day long thats thier business. If I want to walk my butt off thats my business. This is America we can do what we want. I hunt 60+ days a year for everything, every once in a while I like to go for a drive instead of hiking, usually don't see much, but with a couple freinds it makes for just as much or more of an enjoyable experience... But then again I'm not like most of the people on this site that go out for their one or two weeks a year and proclaim themsleves the best hunters alive just because they walked the entire time.

Ivan

mabye if the people here would quite talking ##### on other people then the people who do road hunt would stand up and admit to it!! here is 1 more question for you guys as well if youre coming back to camp on youre wheeler after hunting do you look for deer as well while you are on youre way back? if you seen a 190 class buck of the side of the road would you shoot it? or just let him go cause you were on the road? something to think about right?????/

I guess that I'm somewhat with 400bull; I don't really care if folks want to road hunt. They then chase the deer off the roads for those in the bush. Some do it for good reason (disability), but most do it out of either laziness, or tradition. If a kid was raised to do nothing but road hunt, then he/she is likely going to be a road hunter. Lazy or not, it doesn't seem 'wrong' to a lot of folks, because that is the way they were raised.

Although we didn't road hunt for deer, I was raised 'road hunting' quail here in southern AZ. We would drive along the washes, and when we saw a covey of birds we would pile out & shoot some. Maybe chase them a little, but eventually get back in the truck & continue driving until you busted another covey. I also am in the habit of keeping my rifle handy when driving from spot to spot during deer season. I much prefer still hunting or spot/stalk, but I don't lock my rifle up while driving during deer season. Again, I think it's just because that is how I was raised... Road hunting? I guess so....

Guess I am kind of a road hunter too....

S.

:)

my dad always said he started hunting when he left the house and we lived in the bay area at the time. I hunted back in the time when road hunting during the late season was very productive for good bucks. My dad is now 73 and will road hunt if he can. I like to hike. There is something for everyone, we don't need to jump on the road hunters. They are having fun too.

I am one who does not get all bent out of shape when I hear the term "road hunting". I will say that I have done it, but I will usually try to put in a few days worth of walking first. Last year a buddy and I hunted our tails off, but it was so dry that we really didn't see much of anything. I guess that we were making too much noise. On the way back to camp one evening we saw a few deer from the road, so we decided that in the morning we would take a break from hiking and just drive around a bit. Well, we saw quite a few does and fawns, and had a great time just shooting the chit and relaxing. No, we didn't shoot at anything, but we did have our rifles with us. We both knew that we would not see any big bucks from the road, but we were interested in seeing a few deer, so we did it.

I think that a lot of the people that visit this site talk a lot better ethics than they actually display in the field. Maybe I'm not the best hunter around here, but at least I'm honest.

I never claimed to be the best hunter in the world. In fact, I'm sure there are a lot of road hunters that probably kill more stuff than me. I just don't understand the thrill of "road hunting". The definition of "road hunting" to me is : Drive the roads all day long until you see an animal, lay the gun over the hood of the vehicle, and shoot it. Spotting game from the road at a distance, then stalking it, is a different thing. My definition of road hunting is not just unethical, it's illegal, at least here in NM.

My major beef with road hunters is when you happen to get behind on and they put along at 5 mph and wont let you around because they are worried you will see "their" 2-point around the corner. Go ahead and road hunt, but get out of the way!!

Rut

I'm with 400. The more hunters on the road, the less out hikin' around. To each his own, I say, as long as they stay within the limits of the law.

One interesting thing I've noticed the last couple of years is how the deer react to road traffic. Several of the places I hunt have seen a steady increase in the amount of mountain road traffic (mostly 4-wheelers) all year long, or at least until it snows. "Trail riding" is getting more and more popular.

I'v watched many deer within a couple hundred yards of the road (but not necessarily able to be seen from the road) not even act as if they hear the next 'wheeler coming down the road. Actually, they pay more attention when the motor stops or stops moving. Anybody else notice that?

I guess I see people's point that it keeps more people off the mountains, and maybe there are "ethical" road hunters, I just haven't seen any on a general deer hunt. Most of these guys are so drunk I doubt they have a clue what they're even shooting at. And antelope hunts can be the worse. I've seen people literally run down the animals in their vehicles. By opening afternoon, they have all the animals so spooked you can't get within a mile of them. I think in certain cases it can be a real problem, and not quite as innocent as some people make it out to be.

I personally have no problem with road hunters, it just seems like it is a lazy way to go. If you are older and disabled I can understand. Trucks make a lot of noise so you tend to see less deer. For me hiking arond and not siting on my arse is more enjoyable. To each is own.

I agree with JT.. I have done both kinds of hunting. Deer and Elk or what ever else you are hunting for see a lot more trucks and ATV's in the woods than they do people walking around.

Roadhunting? You mean roadshooting, don't you? Nothing wrong in my book about knocking over a big mulie or bull, but shooting directly from the road doesn't have any hunting in it. An old logging road, ya, but a maintained county road, no.
I've never been in the situation before where a really big bull or buck stands broadside with sign around his neck stating "shoot me" during the hunting season, but then again, I'm not looking on the road for them.

Cooter

Come on, guys. You guys that are saying you prefer hiking around, but the road hunters don't bother, I don't believe it. You know this exact situation has happened to you:
You get out early before daylight, and start making your way up the mountain before the sun comes up. You're getting close to where you want to be at first light. Wildlife is moving around. You're enjoying the serenity of the mountains. Then you hear it. Cummins Diesel. It's probably 2 miles away, but you can hear. And no matter how much you hike, you hear it. By noon, you're ready to come off the mountain and beat the hell out of whoever is driving. They find every little road and twoo-track to go down. All morning long. Clack, clack, clack. All damn day. Tell me that doesn't bother you.

My advice to everyone here is to "STAY OUTTA THE WOODS!"
I see lots of 300" Muleys while driving the roads, but my strict code of ethics will not let me shoot them!
The more miles you cover the more giant bucks you will see!It is only common sense.
Put your guys in the back of the ol' pick up on your old couch,fill the ice chest up with coldies,dress in the latest 3d camo,oh yeah don't forget the cough silencer!
You might want to jack up the ole 4x and stick them 40inch mudders on (more elevation,you know,get up high and glass!)
Be sure the guys up front keep them muzzles out the window!
Take the pickup that has the best MPG (Muleys per Gallon)!

I can honestly say I probably pound more ground on my feet than most guys, in some of the toughest ground imaginable, and I will continue to hunt that way when I'm by myself. But, this year I'm going to really focus on getting my dad a good buck. I'm probably going to piss a lot of people off by saying this, but this year I'm planning on doing a lot of road hunting. As some of you may remember my dad had a heart attack last year while we were out on a hunting trip. He had a triple bipass and he's now feeling really good, but he ain't got much strength for hiking anymore. The moment he hits a slope he's plum tuckered out. So, we are going to hunt a lot different this year. He bought himself a quad and between that and his truck I plan on getting him out lots to keep him for getting discouraged. I plan on sitting him down on cutblocks and pushing bush for him. I plan on just being the driver. It is actually a good way to hunt in BC. I plan on getting him a monster that is going to be so rutted up that it is going to challenge the truck for a fight.

BCBOY, my dad has had a couple of heart surgeries over the last few years as well, sounds to be in about the same condition as yours. If you get him up over 7-8000 feet, he's not going to be able to go more then about 1/4 mile. So yeah we do alot of road hunting (in a diesel by the way..LOL). I'll post him up on a point and do a lot of pushing for him as well, sometimes I get feeling like a bird dog and he knows that I still want to get a little deeper in the bush, so we will pick places out as well where he can drop me off at the top and pick me up a few miles away - we like to pick spots where he can get a good look at the country I'm going through, see if I miss anything. Somedays he doesn't feel like walking at all, but he's not ready to curl up on the couch and die yet, so we will do alot of this type of hunting - works out great for me, I get to cover a whole bunch of country and pretty much all of it downhill hiking - easy. I've come to the conclusion that we are never going to get to hunt the way we used to again, but that's OK. I would rather road hunt the foothills with the old man than spend 3 weeks in the backcountry with the best hunters on the planet. Now all you anti-road hunters, even when I am by myself I do my share of road hunting. I do my share of hiking and then some, but when your too tired to hike its not a bad option - I can rest up behind the wheel as good as I can anywhere. Here in Utah, our hunting seasons aren't as long as other places, so I like to spend as much time as I can in the hills - sure I can go out and hike 10 miles a day 9 times a season, but not when the season is 9 days long. So when you here that noisy-ass diesel, go ahead and wave - I might just wave back at ya!

Damn, that's you Steelie. LOL. By a gasoline engine next time. You guys here keep talking about the exceptions to the rule. My mother has muscular dystrophy, and I take her out on handicap antelope hunts. My dad is also getting up there, and can't walk like he used to. Things happen, and we do what we can. I'm know it'll be me someday. The people I'm talking about are the truck load of guys in their thirties or forties, 3 up front, 4 in the back, a cooler of beer, and guns sticking out in every direction waiting for something to cross the road. And you know when it happens, too, because you hear 40 damn shots ring out, then a bunch of cussing cause they missed. These guys aren't taking a break from their hikes, and their not driving to find a good place to glass. The only time their vehicle stops is to reload the empty ice chest. There was a bunch like that on my last elk hunt in unit 52 (NM). They shot into a herd of elk, killed a spike, and shot the leg off a cow. The spike was illegal, so they left it lay, and I'm sure the cow didn't make much longer with winter coming on. These are the people I'm referring to. No ethics, no love of the hunt, and no respect for wildlife or their fellow hunters.

I dont have a big problem with some road hunters for a lot of the reasons mentioned. They push animals farther back into the woods for those of us that go in deep. (thats what she said) Honestly, how many of us have road hunted for a little break after several days of real hard hunting? Sometimes its nice to drive and see new country and glass some areas that you can hike into later. I just cant get into doing nothing but driving from clear-cut to clear-cut hoping to catch a buck out in the open. I do have a problem with those lazy a-holes that drive around drinking and shooting at anything that moves. Access to one of this states best units was almost, and probably will be eventually, closed to public entry because of idiot road hunters shootin up logging equipment, signs, guard rails, gates, dumping garbage etc. As long as they are obeying the laws and being courteous and safe, I say more power to em'.
Eric

Last season I did a MZ hunt for Elk in NM. My guide and I walked alot of ground, but we also glassed alot from various spots on the road and drove some out-of-the-way trails deep into the areas we were hunting. My MZ stayed up front through all our "travels" and you can bet if I would have been presented with an off the road shot, I would have taken it!! If that's road hunting, then I'm guilty, and feel absolutely NO REMORSE!!!!!

I don't have a proplem with road hunting as long as the way that you are doing it isn't illegal. In Idaho as long as you are not chasing the animal with your vehical or shooting from or across, shoulders or embankements of a goverment maintained road then you are legal.
I will admit that I have done some road hunting. I also do more than half of my scouting in July and August from the road. I don't ever expect to see anything to shoot while road hunting besides coyotes but I still keep my eye open while driving to the area I plan to hunt.
Road hunters get a bad name because many of them break laws. Some shoot out the window, have to much to drink, shoot signs or a number of other stupid things.

I can see both sides, but i tend to agree with NM. All that is being talked about the exceptions. I am hunting from the minute i leave camp, on foot or by vehicle, but i am always headed to a specific place. If i saw a buck i would nomally take, i'll stalk a ways from the road, but make sure you're visible to "road hunters" that are driving, drinking, and shooting at every little movement cause you might just be fair game. Bottom line if you are being ethical you are alright if not go buy meat elsewhere.

If I am hearing everyone right, the only reason for disliking road hunters is because of the illegale activity that some of them are doing (shooting signs, shooting across the vihical, illegaly taken came, driving on roads that are closed, etc.). If this is the real reason that you dislike road hunting, how many times have you called up the local law officer and turned them in? It seems to me if you are not doing your part in preventing the problem by truning them in, you are just as much of the problem as they are.

400bull

I've found a game wardern EVERY time I've seen things like that. As far as I know, not once was it followed up on.

Personally, I do a lot of hiking when I hunt. Last year I twisted my knee while hiking. I spent the next day glassing and driving my four-wheeler around to different locations.

I could care less if people want to road hunt. I would rather try to escape from the crowds; but there are many instances when older hunters, handicapped hunters, or people who could really care less if they shot a deer, want to road to road. I say to them: have a great time.

QUOTE: My definition of road hunting is not just unethical, it's illegal, at least here in NM.

No it is not illegal to road hunt in NM. you must be 30 feet off of the road and of course not shoot over one. But it is not illegal. I have done alot of both and I enjoy both. Killed several animals doing both and I think road hunting is just fine if that is what floats your boat. There is no reason to piss and moan about it because it is not going to end. ALL people hunt differently WOW what a concept a choice WELCOME TO AMERICA. I like to get out away from all the roads as much as anyone, but I do not look down at those who choose not to. It is just hunting fellas lets all go out and enjoy the outdoors any way we can and be damm glad that we are able to do so. Once again WELCOME TO AMERICA.

You know boys. my dad died a few years back from lung cancer so all he caould do at the time was road hunt i am sorry if no one likes it but it was one of the best hunting experences of my life taking a w-tail buck from the truck so my dad could see it. Now i know all of you think i am a road hunter and think what you want but i know that i have put just as many miles on boots scouting and hunting for elk deer what ever so dont dis the road hunter because you might not know why they are road hunting sorry if I made anyone a little angry or whatever thats what i think
cody

Elkslayer,
Read what I wrote again. I said "MY definition" of road hunting is illegal, and I clearly defined what it is. Our definitions are obviosly not the same. I'm sure you don't condone the kind of things I've talked about in my posts. Spotting an animal from the road, stalking, even 30 feet off the road, in my opinion, is not road hunting. Driving until you see something, sticking your gun out the window and pulling the trigger is. We're all on the same page here, maybe just not expressing it in the same way.

OOHHHHH.....Now I get it - you guys are talking "white-trash" hunting. Well I do that as well, but only for the 1st half of the hunt. I normally get #####-faced somewhere during the middle of the hunt and I pull the couch out of the bed of the truck and bonfire it. After that I am forced to get hiking. I am thinking about putting a roll-bar on my rig so I can have I nice rest to shoot from, I have a couple holes in the hood from when I was too drunk to make a shot, but tried anyways. :)

Seriously though, we have to remember that bad ethics are not just restriced to those that don't get away from the road. Last year on a hunt I hiked back about 4 miles into a wilderness area. Came along another hunter on the trail. He was carving his name into a quakie. That guy is no better than the drunk idiot that shoots road signs.

White-trash hunting is right. Okay, from now on, I'll be sure to distinguish between the two, because there is a difference. And I agree with you 100% about unethical hunters in the field, too. Nothing like glassing a hillside, and coming across another hunter who is glassing you, too. Through the scope of his rifle. I don't know whether to run, duck, or shoot back.

I'M WITH RUTT ON THIS ONE

LAST YEAR I'M HEADED UP THIS ROAD,THERES A LITTLE SNOW ON IT,THIS ROAD HUNTER COMING DOWN THE ROAD SWERVES TOWARD ME TO TAKE THE SAFE SIDE,HIS SIDE WAS REAL STEEP OFF,SO I HAD TO PASS HIM ON THE WRONG SIDE THANKS TO HIS SILLY ASSED THINKING!!!

YA,THIS KIND OF B.S. PISSES THE OLD CAT OFF!!!

I CAME UP BEHIND ONE ONE TIME,HE DIDN'T SEE ME FOR TEN MINUTES,HE WAS MOVING .5 MPH,WHEN HE FINALLY SEEN ME I WAS HALF WAY AROUND HIM,HE STOMPED DOWN ON IT BUT THE OLD BEAT UP WORE OUT MESSED UP HUNTIN RIG OF MINE PULLED THROUGH,BOY WAS HE PISSED!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING 90% OF EM OUGHT TO BE ROADHUNTERS!!!

Let's face it, unless you are old or disabled road hunting is not hunting. If you are so lazy that you can't get out of your truck please take up another sport. And don't think the thousand dollars you spent on camo decals for your truck will help. I know of places where they have trophy animals and very high fences, you would love hunting from your truck there.

I love taking my 4 year old daughter with me hunting. When she was younger I put her in the backpack and would chase around a bit. Now for at least a day or two we drive around and look for animals. Some good binocs and a spotting scope complete the package. We either look from the truck or we might get out and sit. We havent shot anything yet with her but I hope we can soon. I also enjoy the occasional road hunt with my friends. We are some of the group that drives around with a few guys in the truck and we've taken some decent deer this way. We dont shoot from the truck or from the road. We also arent out drinking. If we see something good we stop get out and give chase.
I think its funny that some people get so upset about people who want to hunt from the road. Whats next? You cant use a gun because that would be unsporting? No camo, scents, decoys, dogs, or anything else that would aid any hunter. I guess that we could all sharpen sticks and try to run the game down. Give me a break. People are out getting better guns, sites, bows, carbon arrows, camo etc. And because they choose to use the newest boots instead of the truck or four wheeler to get somewhere they feel that they are so much better than everyone else.
As long as they are following the laws dont knock people because they choose to hunt a different way than you do.

I guess what it all comes down to is we are all hunters, maybe not all sportsmen j/k. Seriously though we have enough to worry about out there. To many people want to take our right to hunt away and we don't need to give them any ammo. As long as we keep hunting leaglly and keep putting our hard earned dollars into a great sport, we should all just be happy to hunt any way we can. ( Just don't shoot me from the road. HAHA)

I'll assume that all you guys will consider driving around on your ATV's as road hunting, right?

Eliminating ATV's and road hunting would do more to restore the quality in hunting than most anything else.

actually if you want to slow down road hunting you should make a weapon case law. when traveling on any motorized vehicle, you must have your rifle, bow, muzzleloader, etc., locked in a case. this will definately slow it down and stop some of the lsaw breaking mentioned above. it would help greatly here in utah.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-03 AT 11:48AM (MST)[p]I do not consider a road hunter less of a person just because they choose to stay on the road to spot game. I don't have a problem with them marching 50 yards off the road and shooting game that they have spotted. Oregon regulations say that it is ok to do this so who am I to say otherwise. I have grown up as a hunter that hikes. I was taught that you need to get as far away from roads as possible to be a "Real Hunter" I cannot say how many hunting seasons I have gone without shooting an animal while seeing others who road hunt be succesful. To me, being in the field is more important then killing (It's not like my family will starve if I don't bring home game). I would venture to say that the people on this board that think road hunters are less ethical are the same people that when age and other things catch up with them will be road hunting themselves. Maybe they will do it for the kill but more likley the will do it because it will give them the chance to see the mountains they love and if an oppurtunity presents itself they would likely harvest an animal for old times sake, if nothing else. Bottom line: To each thier own.

Personally I don't care how anyone else hunts as long as they are following the laws. You go hunting to relax and have fun if your idea of fun is road-hunting have at it. If you like to hike gave at it. I know that it doesn't bother me and I still see animals and enjoy myself.

Ive killed deer and elk roadhunting,sitting stands,stalking. Everything Ive killed no matter how I did it, was a challenge and exciting.

Road hunting ruins the sport, and if that is not enough the road hunters take to off road in ATV's

As long as people are following the rules/laws I have no reason to gripe,espeacially if they are too old to walk,have a new baby,ect...

Heck I dont care if they are just plain lazy,go ahead and drive the roads all day,there will be less hunters out deep in the woods where I'm usually at.

I didn't care one way or another, I used to feel the same as a lot of you guys here in that "hey, if those guys are roadhunting, those are guys I won't be bumping into over the next ridge tomorrow morning". So that worked for me UNTIL.........(and I'll keep this short cause I posted it before)

I was still hunting late in the afternoon up a canyon in unit 22 a few years ago after spending most of the opening day out in the field. Spotted and then invested about 1 hour stalking toward a pretty good 4x4 that was initially about 800 yards away. I got within about 175 yards and started looking for a rest or a place to set. Thick soft sage, so I had neither. I didn't want to shoot this buck offhand, as I have a tremendous respect for big bucks but not as much respect for my offhand shooting. I hear a car motor. Then a door close, then another close. Come to find out, I was now only about 300 yds. from the road I came in on hours earlier, and this particular draw was hidden to me when I drove the road earlier (tall brush). But not to this driver. Neither was the deer. These guys got out and started glassing. One of them glassed over to me (way offline from the buck and in blaze orange vest and hat). I slowly tried to wave em off. Then they got in a big hurry. Ended up they grabbed a rifle before I could find a set (I finally did), then started running down the draw and shooting. End of story, missed the deer, he hightailed it. Most unsportsmanlike thing I'd ever seen in my life. They knew I was there and it didn't matter.

So what do I think of road hunters? I think they'll try to shoot out a buck from under you if possible. So put a ridge between you and a road for sure I guess is my thought here. That was a sad deal, believe me.........

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-03 AT 10:23PM (MST)[p]Alot of you replied that "road hunting" isnt hunting.Idont think the definition of hunting says anything about being a mile of the road.What you people need to realize is that just because you dont like it doesn't make it wrong.Most people that road hunt are probably doing so because they were taught that way.I'm guilty of it,but I've also hiked for miles.As long as a guy is within the law and doing it ethically then what does it matter.I read the post that 400 bull is talking about and was appaled at a some of the replies,not that my opinion matters but some of you need to get a grip.

My dad would rather road hunt than get out and walk for the most part. Not because he is lazy, but he feels it is more productive, and I guess I would have to agree. In my 14 years of big game hunting I have taken 9 bucks. 8 of them were spotted from the road and two of them were shot from the passenger seat. This is not bragging, just stating the facts. Now let's talk about the remaining buck. The one buck that I have shot while actually hunting (I don't consider driving down the road hunting, it is harvesting, plain & simple)is the only one that is hanging on my wall, a 23" 170 class typical. I have much better memories of that buck than any other deer I have harvested. Why? Because I was off by myself, me against the deer & his senses. It was a challenge and I won.

Is it really hunting or much of a challenge when the deer are used to trucks driving by them and not shooting at them for roughly 340 days of the year (unless your close to the res :)), then all the sudden the magical saturday comes and the deer that watched the truck drive right by last week now gets shot in the chest?

So basicaly my feeling is if you just want to fill your tag - then stick to the road. If you want a more memorable hunt and a much better chance at a trophy quality buck, then get a couple of miles from the road and start glassing.

Buck

nbuckley,

Where are you from? Does a half rolled down window make a good rest? Were any of those deer shot on private land that you did not have permission to hunt on? I don't know of any place that you can legally shoot mule deer from the passenger seat (unless you are disabled).
I don't care if your hunting plan is to drive down the road until you see a deer. I do have a problem if you are going to be breaking the law.

Well said. "I shot from the passenger seat." I'd say it's not bragging, more like admission of guilt. Get out of the vehicle at least. I'm sorry if that offends anyone, actually no i'm not that makes me sick!

Yep, well put re: shooting FROM a car/truck. It's illegal in every state that I know of (with the exception of handicapped shooters). Also for you road hunters; you cannot legally shoot from OR across a road either, you have to be OFF the road (in Calif., the roadhunters have it easy...one step off the road is considered legal. In other states, I dunno, might be specified as 100 yds off the road or whatever, you'll need to check, as the wardens also use the same roads you're shootin from).

nbuckley, Please read my earlier post.....as long as you're not shooting a buck out from under someone else (and there's no way to know that when you're shooting from apassenger seat) and shooting your buck legally, then whatever floats your boat is what floats your boat. You do get to save a lot of money on scent free spray, wash, camo, boots, etc., and you don't have to do much to prepare for the season. The downside is that you surely miss out on developing and improving upon you hunting skills and using your wit to find a buck. To me, that challenge has become much more important than filling up a freezer as I've found that it does some great things for your soul even when you're not dragging a deer back to camp. And when you do score and put it all together, it's a sweet, sweet feeling, like no other.

I'm not going to critisize any type of hunting as long as it is legal. And most road hunters are legal. They just ride around until they find what they are looking for, hop out of the truck to the nearest rest and take a shot. I agree with 400bull on this. I dont road hunt, but i really dont care that people do as long as it is legal ofcourse. As long as they arent in the backcountry with me i dont care where they hunt.

later, MM

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom