Rocky Mountain vs California Bighorn

Redside

Just wondering if anyone knows why the Rocky Mountain and the California Bighorn sheep haven't been classified as two different animals in record keeping. I understand the California is a subspecies of the Rocky Mountain, but since the minimum score to enter the record book is 180+ it just seems like it makes the California a lesser species when they should be scored according to what species they come from. Anyway, I know here in Oregon we have some California's rumored in the John Day River and Southcentral units to hit the 185+ and one even in the 190's if you can believe that. The Deschutes River Canyon, especially the East side, is producing some awesome rams. Well I hope this is the year, but you know what they say, wish in one hand and #&*! in the other and which one fills up first. Anyway, hope the best of luck this year in the controlled draws for all. Best of Luck. Jeff

Redside. I worked in the Deshutes Canyon for about 3 1/2 year's off and on. I seen some Dandy's!!! My best day of veiwing I saw about 125 Sheep!!! Good Luck

Redside,

The California and Rocky Mountain Bighorns are indeed separated for record keeping purposes by Safari Club International, Foundation for North American Wild Sheep and Grand Slam Club / Ovis (www.wildsheep.org).

The record keeping organization that has not done so is the Boone & Crockett Club. I think most folks realize that B&C doesn't hardly ever change or alter their ways. The only recent move I can remember them making is FINALLY accepting Tule Elk as a separate subspecies just a few short years ago.

Wouldn't that be interesting to make California Bighorns a requirement for the Grand slam? They are probabbly rarer than desert sheep.

COSA,

Some of us sheep crazies consider the California a requirement for the mythical "Super Six" slam.

- California Bighorn
- Rocky Mountain Bighorn
- Stone
- Fannin
- Dall
- Desert

An age old debate amoung taxonimists....are you a spliter or a lumper. With the advent of DNA analysis lots of new insights. For example when comparing Ca bighorns with Rocky Mtn bighorns it was found Californias were just a geographic varitation of the Rocky Mtns.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

"Some of us sheep crazies consider the California a requirement for the mythical "Super Six" slam."

I guess you're half way there, eh RamDreamer?

Thanks! This will be my second try for a Fannin. Came home empty handed in 2002. Hunted with the Jensens then. My guide and I couldn't buy a break on that hunt. Smoke from fires in Alaska cut visibility drastically so we spent many long hours in the saddle going from ridge to ridge to glass at close quarters.

Good luck this time around RamDreamer. I fought the smoke in AK in 2002 as well on a Dall hunt and came back ramless. Went back in 2004 in a different range and fought the smoke again, seems like it is an AK thing many of the years. I had a couple lucky days in 04' where it cleared and was able to take a ram.

Here's hoping things go well for you this year,

Splash

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom