Round suggestions for 50 cal muzzy on muleys

NMTopPredator

My wife drew a muzzy hunt for muleys this year and I am not too familiar with anything muzzy. Can any of you suggest a particular load that should work pretty good on deer? Grain,tip, powder? Thanks in advance

I'll tell you what my deer load is in my CVA Optima V2: 100gr BH209, 250gr Barnes T-EZ, Federal 209A primer.

I really like the Barnes and Thor bullets, they are real accurate out of my rifle and I just recently tried several different bullets.

+1 on the Barnes T-EZ 250gr. I shoot 2 777 Magnum pellets, and this load flies a little over 2000 fps out of my muzzleloader. The Barnes gets the job done on everything it hits, and it holds together extremely well. If you happen to be shooting a Remington Ultimate, I'd move up to a Parker Match/Hunter bullet as they have a better ballistic coefficient and have better trajectory and wind resistance at longer distances. If you are only going to shoot out to about 250 yards or so, I'd stick with the Barnes as they are very good bullets, and I've not had any accuracy issues with them.

I've tried lots and lots of different bullet/powder/primer combinations in three different muzzleloaders. The one element that I ended up liking the most out of all that was Blackhorn powder. Little less smoke and a lot less barrel fouling. After that, lots of good combination possibilities, but hard to go wrong with a Barnes sabot.

+1 on Blackhorn powder. Try different loads to see what your wife can handle. 90 grains would be a good starting point with the bullets mentioned above.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom