Rubbing Post

C

catskinner

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-13 AT 06:50PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-13 AT 06:44?PM (MST)

This is a photo of a fence post bucks have been using in an area I have shed hunted for the last 20 yrs. I decided to cut it off this year because I did'nt think it would last another one. My plan is to incorperate it into a future mount.
5014dscn0927.jpg

I hope you put up a new one for them, In that country it can be tough for a buck to find a good place to rub off his velvet :)

I too hope you put another one in place and then one to hold the trail cam.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

My buddy killed a great buck in CO last year and there was a similar post he brought home to put his mount on. Very cool. Hardest part will be deciding which set to mount. lol

Yelum

Theres logic, and theres women. They don't go together.

>How many cows do you think
>rubbed on that sucker?
>"I've hunted almost every day of
>my life, The rest have
>been wasted"

Your exactly right!!!!

Come on guys, it is much more awesome to think bucks rubbed it like that, even if the reality is that it was worn by some old hereford cows getting their itch on. Now the cows won't be able to scratch and another marker is lost. City boys.

Well It's a good thing I cut it off when I did or those 800 pound bald angus would've broke it for sure. Cattle? Really???

Ive seen a lot of cows rub on many different things including posts like this and a big old cow will usually bust em off before it gets like this. Maybe it was just cows but I think there were other factors working on it.

In the late 80's throughout the 90's and the early 2000's literaly thousands of deer would travel through this ranch on their winter migration every year. I personally saw mulie bucks rubbing this post so you can imagine how many used it that were not seen. Everyone has an opinion and I respect that, I just feel very strongly that the rubbing of antlers was the main reason for what is seen in the photo.

No doubt that a few bucks rubbed on that post, but the reason it looks like that is because cows used it to rub. So make the story whatever you want and enjoy it. Never understood why some need to take the history home.

Wouldn't cows have the ground torn up???? The rubbing height is perfect for a deer, but im sure a lot of things have rubbed on it

Exactly nfh, thank you! And 2 pt. As stated earlier the reason I cut it off was to preserve the history for my friends and family to enjoy rather than see it destroyed.

well just think what cattle would do to that post and ground. ITs just perfect for a deer to bend his head down and rub away.

That post would be sweet with a deer mount.

Any plans of putting a new post in for the deer???

Sometimes the sh!t I read on here just flat out amazes me... Do you guys ever leave the city?? You will find hour-glass fence posts exactly like this from the Miss R on west where cowy cows haven't been for 50 years, if anything I think you jumped the gun a wee bit on timing your "harvest" but if you'd been a year late you woulda needed glue! I have seen many incorporated into mounts and if well done they look great. Never heard of post replacement as usually there is one five steps right and left but whatever on this site I should not be surprised...

This is why I quit posting shed pictures years ago. You claim you find a 150 inch whitetail and someone just has to say no way its 148 and call ya an idiot for it. Or name a mountain in the background and just somehow ruin the post.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-13 AT 02:35AM (MST)[p]I once saw Sasquatch rubbing on one of those posts. He was all grinding up on it like he was in heaven! Honest!

"I've hunted almost every day of my life, The rest have been wasted"

I have to laugh that it is due to cattle. I didn't realize they were running pigmy cows out west now where their sides were only 12" off the ground....
Have they rubbed it before, yes they probably have. Most of that rubbing is done from deer though, look how low to the ground the rub marks go. Unless the cattle are scratching their ankles on the post???

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

If I had to bet, I would bet deer did the most damage on that post,
I would also put another couple of posts back in, one for them to rub on and one to hang a cam. Because that area seem to be a hot spot for them to rub.

Great picture, Good looking buck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom