ruger .223

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
got me a ruger 77 MK II in .223. i have a pig hunt in the end of feburary (javelina) i ordered some black hills 60 grain vmax and was wondering what yall though? do you think the barrel will stabalize that big of a bulleT? also do you think the vmax will penetrate deep enough to kill the pig or should i shoot 55 gr remington PSP's?
Casey

Thats a good gun and it should shoot the 60's fine. I have no idea about hunting pigs so no comment on that.

Casey, I know u reload, so may want to try some 60 grn Partitions. Don't know if you have stuff for loading .223 yet though.

i dont have stuff for reloading the .223 and with the season 2 weeks away i dont have time to start loading for it.

i went and shot it today with a 60gr Vmax and it shot pretty decently. got it dialed in and we will see how it does on a pig here in 2 weeks!
Casey

Casey I used 55gr vmax on 2005 hunt for javis out of my .223 , I shot mine at 35 yards and it pulled the ground out from under it . There wasn't any damage to the cape either , just a tiny entrance hole . The javalina just dropped , smacked its jaws together a couple times and that was it , those little hornady 55grain vmax are great loads , I think the Black Hills will work wonders out of your .223 as well...NMHUNTNUTT

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-06 AT 09:10PM (MST)[p]I have killed a bunch of hogs with a .223 and seen a bunch more killed with them both in rifles and Encore/Contenders. All with 40 grain HP's and 55 grain softpoints and 55 grain V-max's. Shoot whatever shoots best out of your gun and hit 'em in the vitals, they usually fold up in less than 20 yards.

Bret M.

I've killed a few with a Remington 788 in .222. Used a handload with a 55 grain Winchester PSP that I bought in bulk. Never had a problem with pigs or coyotes with that load.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom