Ruger Hawkeye

_rutN_

What do you guys think about this gun? Quality/accuracy/etc for a mountain hunting rifle compared to other manufacturers.

I'm really interested in field experience those of you may have with the scope base/rings that are included with the rifle. Ruger does there own thing with the base/rings. I question how solid of a setup it is... any field experience out there you could advise for or against it? I have not looked closely yet, but perhaps there are several after market options available.

Thanks!

i got the .300 mag hawkeye. synthinic .

for the bases, well i dont like them. the gun is stainless but the rings they got lots of rusted brown spots. i put a silver scope on it to match the gun. i think it looks slick. if you go to the sheep forum and go to page 2, then mountain goat down, you can see how my setup looks on my gun. so im not impressed with the scope rings......

for the feild part, well it has been great. i use horses a lot and while the gun is in the scabord once in awhile you hit a tree. and i got no dents or sctraches from the trees. when i use to hunt with another gun of mine the wood stock just got torn up.

its been a great gun for me and if i could do it over i would not change a thing.

When I think mountains... I think lightweight... When I think lightweight... I DONT think Ruger.

Buddys dad has one in 6.5 creedmore he is selling, shoots very well and it isnt heavy. He wants to build a custom one. If your interested let me know. He has done work to it and it shoots one hell of a hole.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

I am quickly falling in love w/ my 25-06 Ruger Hawkeye.

Shot sub MOA right out of the box. 3/4" groups first two boxes of 117gr Interlcok Hornady Custom Ammmo.

I am getting 1/2" and smaller groups w/ the 110gr loads I worked up.

As for the rings and bases the seem to be holding my redfield scope right on the $$.

It's not a super fancy set up but performed great in the field.

Another positive review for the Ruger. I have one in stainless/synthetic in .338 Fed. I was never a huge Ruger fan for a bolt action but the misses bought it for me as a gift. I have to admit, though I was never crazy about Ruger in the fit and finish department it has grown on me. Nice gun and contrary to my first reaction about Ruger, it did not seem to be a heavy bulky rifle at all. I've carried it for a couple seasons now and really like the rifle. No complaints on accuracy either.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I have a hawkeye in 22-250 with laminated grey wood stock, and stainless barrel it is a little heavy but can't complain about accuracy. As far as the rings go I have had no problems but very little recoil.

My son has the Ruger in a stainless and Laminate stock M77 in the 7mm mag its a great gun and a tac driver!

Between my Dad and me, we have a couple of these. One is a real shooter and the other looks like it wants to be, but I haven't spent enough time at the range or loading bench to give it an honest assessment. As far as a mountain rifle is concerned, you could certainly find something lighter.

I have shot various Ruger 77s for quite a while, but have the most experience with the Mk II. I think the quality is really good and have never had any trouble with the Ruger rings. Whether a Mk II or Hawkeye, all but one have needed a trigger job and I usually have to mess around with the bedding some to get them to really shoot.

My father-in-law is a more experienced shooter/reloader than I am and he loves Ruger rifles. He has shot just about everything over the years and while he owns rifles of many makes and models he has more Ruger 77s than any other single type.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom