Rule 1!

Tristate

Long Time Member
DO people not know what the first rule of gun safety is. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded. If you work in a museum and you just cleaned a gun and you know no ammunition is in the gun because you just disassembled it, put it back together, no one else has touched it, and they haven't made ammo for it in over a century, IT IS STILL LOADED!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/1...-student-in-gun-safety-class/?test=latestnews

Is this course run by a government agency? This is the downside to Darwinism. You hope that people's stupidity will thin their gene pool. In reality people's stupidity can end up thinning out anyone's gene pool.

What Tristate is saying is treat EVERY gun as if it was loaded. Even IF no ammo was made for the last 100 years. The only way to treat a gun. EVER!

Eel

Best one ever.
Complacency and stupidity are a bad attribute to have.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

.....and then he tried to continue on with teaching the class. IDIOT!

Just because someone is in a position of authority doesn't mean they're bright!

I think a review of rule #1 is always a good refresher!

Zeke

Ditto that Zeke! That last one is a classic!!! It's like these guys that are handling semiautomatics don't know how they work to even be handling them.

there is no such thing as an "accidental" discharge....only "negligent" discharges.....

"there is no such thing as an "accidental" discharge....only "negligent" discharges....."

There are such things as true accidental discharge where mechanical failure is to blame. However there are no injuries from an AD when proper gun safety is followed. Up until last year every single AD I had witnessed had been operator error. Last year I was guiding a pronghorn hunt when a clients gun discharged. The rifle was pointed in a safe direction when it went off. The client stated the gun went off by itself when he locked the bolt down while chambering a round. Since I had been behind him when it happened I asked him to do it again. The gun fired when the bolt closed without anything at all touching the trigger. The gun was put away for the rest of the hunt. I do not know what had occurred inside the rifle and I am not a gunsmith but it was very sobering.

>"there is no such thing as
>an "accidental" discharge....only "negligent" discharges....."
>
>
>
>There are such things as true
>accidental discharge where mechanical failure
>is to blame. However there
>are no injuries from an
>AD when proper gun safety
>is followed. Up until
>last year every single AD
>I had witnessed had been
>operator error. Last year
>I was guiding a pronghorn
>hunt when a clients gun
>discharged. The rifle was
>pointed in a safe direction
>when it went off.
>The client stated the gun
>went off by itself when
>he locked the bolt down
>while chambering a round.
>Since I had been behind
>him when it happened I
>asked him to do it
>again. The gun fired
>when the bolt closed without
>anything at all touching the
>trigger. The gun was
>put away for the rest
>of the hunt. I
>do not know what had
>occurred inside the rifle and
>I am not a gunsmith
>but it was very sobering.

***I'll bet the rifle that went off like you mentioned was a Remington 700!!! Thousands have had discharges like that and at least 20 people have died from having the rifles pointed improperly when it happened to them. Remington finally discontinued the Walker trigger in the 700 a few years ago and went with the design that Mike Walker wanted them to use way back in the 60s after he found his design had a flaw that could lead to what you mentioned. They still use that older one in their cheap 770 models.

I have heard of the Remington issue but this was not a Remington. It was a Weatherby. I believe it was the Mark V model but I could be wrong about that. Had a synthetic stock and I think it was chambered for 257 WBY mag. I think something broke in the weapon. The client literally shot an antelope (all normal) as we approached the downed antelope he realized the antelope was alive and he chambered a round and it discharged. All I can figure is something broke from the recoil of the first shot. Again I am not a gunsmith and I can only speculate.

Any trigger/gun will fail if you get enough gunk in the trigger... or if something broke.

But this thread isn't about trigger failure, it's about human failure to adhere to rule #1. All 20 people killed by the "bad" trigger would still be here IF they would have followed proper safety procedures. I'm not making excuses for any gun maker but just stating the obvious.

When my kids were growing up I told them, and anyone else who will listen, to pretend there is a death-laser streaming out of the barrel and anyone that the laser touches will die.

Muzzle in a safe direction is always the best policy.

Thanks for the safety reminder guys. We can't hear this message too often!

Zeke

As a Hunter Education instructor here in Wyoming, it never ceases to amaze me how many people choose to ignore this one basic, simple concept of gun safety. And for an instructor to make this mistake is beyond negligent. NEVER take a firearm from someone without checking to see if the action is open and the chamber clear. NEVER point any firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot. If one adheres to these simple rules, after awhile it just becomes natural to do things this way. It's like putting on your seat belt. Live ammo is a no-no in the classes I teach; and we no longer use actual firearms- only inert firearms and ammo in our classes( except for the field day, which is not required in Wy, although some instructors do it).

I'll let you get away with your finger on the trigger ONE TIME. 2nd offense and you will be expelled from my class.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom