Rut hunting muleys in NM

bticked

Hey all. I was lucky enough to draw a January bow hunt for deer this year, my first deer bow hunt ever. I was wondering if Im gonna catch the rut at all? Never hunted that time of the year, what are the deer up to? Does anyone rattle or call for them? I know my area very well, just wanted some tips on tactics that time of year. Thanks for any help you can give.

Ryan

Down south you will catch rut activity. Love that time of year. find the does and a buck will be mixed in or not far off. I can't wait to go sling an arrow or two.

I hunted Jan 2B last year, rut was over.....completely. Saw a ton of huge bucks though.

We exclusively put in for the Jan. bowhunt because it falls right in the middle of the rut. This is south of I-40 though. Don't know bout Northern NM.

yea down south you will catch the end of the rut. im sure the muleys up north start a lil earlier and end earlier too. with that said wut unit are u going to be hunting?

Mid state around Corona you can see the tail end of the rut. Best dates are around Jan. 1-6 or so. After that they start losing interest a bit. Still casing just not as stupid.

Thanks guys for the help. Ill be in the Northern part of the state so looks like I might miss it. Does anyone have any good tactics for post rut hunting mule deer? Thank you.

Ryan

Northern bucks start rut around thanksgiving or first week of December. As the other gents have said, January down south is prime rut time! Good luck and good hunting.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom