Rutting 2B Bucks

wapitiwhistler

Well I'm sitting on a ridge in 2B as I write this and was wondering if anyone else has seen bucks rutting? I watched a decent buck this morning chasing does and raking trees. I've never heard a mule deer buck wheeze like whitetails do but this one did it about 4 times. Is it possible they could start this early? He was probably a 4 year old deer about 22 inches wide not real heavy but had 4 in eyegaurds. Question is do I hunt him tomorrow morning or try and find something bigger. I would really like to harvest a mature buck but he is the biggest I have found the last two days....

I had the 2B hunt last week and after passing many 2x2 and 2x3 i landed up bring home a 2x2 with a big body. I did see does in large herds but only small bucks were with them. I hunted high and low. My father is head up there for his hunt now and he is expecting the same as last week. I would take him if not you can pass the info to were he is on to me ;) lol Good luck

are you guys seeing them high or low i have the hunt next weekend thanks in advance and congrats on your buck

Dry.... Movement was almost 100% during night. And rersident numbers arent great. Water sources limited. I was kinda wondering the same. Our 2A buck's neck was a little swollen and was with does and had a little stink on him. I personally thought he was a little rutty myself. But, on the other hand he was the only mature buck we seen with does the whole hunt. So IDK... Tough hunt tho. The elk rutted early this year too. Deer arent moving down for those with hunts still- FYI. Staying warm. No snow yet up north. Even when they do drop down I hope the deer summered well in CO and have some fat cause there isnt any feed/browse south of the line. The bitterbrush and mohogany didnt grow much forage with the drought.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom