S.F.W.

there are 100 questions, i answer many of them, people don't read the whole threads, or there needs further clarifications. so what questions, and how many times do i have to answer them ?

as i have said repeatedly, these are very complex issues, and a debate in this forum doesn't lend itself to a total understanding.

So, my offer stands, lets schedule a public debate, leave ample time to make sure issues are fully understood, all of the pros and cons of every issue are understood, and then why SFW has taken some position, and when sportsmen see all of the thought and calculations that go into a position or issue, the vast majority of reasonable people accept why SFW does what it does.

the MM forum doesn't lend itself to finding solutions to complex problems.

the HB 187 and HB 153 are prime examples, and there are some coplex strategies in teh works to find win/win solutions. it takes two hours to lay all that out.

the offer stands, in April, we will have an ask all, tell all, but when some people get pinned to the wall, or cannot offer a better solution, it will become obvious to many, there is a lot of talk and not a lot of action

there are 100 questions, i answer many of them, people don't read the whole threads, or there needs further clarifications. so what questions, and how many times do i have to answer them ?

as i have said repeatedly, these are very complex issues, and a debate in this forum doesn't lend itself to a total understanding.

So, my offer stands, lets schedule a public debate, leave ample time to make sure issues are fully understood, all of the pros and cons of every issue are understood, and then why SFW has taken some position, and when sportsmen see all of the thought and calculations that go into a position or issue, the vast majority of reasonable people accept why SFW does what it does.

the MM forum doesn't lend itself to finding solutions to complex problems.

the HB 187 and HB 153 are prime examples, and there are some coplex strategies in teh works to find win/win solutions. it takes two hours to lay all that out.

the offer stands, in April, we will have an ask all, tell all, but when some people get pinned to the wall, or cannot offer a better solution, it will become obvious to many, there is a lot of talk and not a lot of action

Don,

I appreciate the good things you do, but like the some of the others mentioned I don't want to get together and debate anything, the reason I did not renew my membership is the whole transperancy and trust issue. You told everyone the expo odds would be released. I have been waiting for years for the accounting of dollars spent on money raised. Now to be honest I could care less what the expo odds are I will happily put in every year and I know I won't agree with where every dollar goes in the SFW organization that is not the point. The point is if a non profit group wants my money and public resources all I expect is them to fulfill what they promise (expo odds) and to know where my money is going and I will give all day long, but I cannot give blindly. I realize this may not be the place on a forum, but I and others have brought this up every year with no answer and have emailed SFW personally with no answer, called with no answer so where to we go to get an answer?

Don,

I appreciate the good things you do, but like the some of the others mentioned I don't want to get together and debate anything, the reason I did not renew my membership is the whole transperancy and trust issue. You told everyone the expo odds would be released. I have been waiting for years for the accounting of dollars spent on money raised. Now to be honest I could care less what the expo odds are I will happily put in every year and I know I won't agree with where every dollar goes in the SFW organization that is not the point. The point is if a non profit group wants my money and public resources all I expect is them to fulfill what they promise (expo odds) and to know where my money is going and I will give all day long, but I cannot give blindly. I realize this may not be the place on a forum, but I and others have brought this up every year with no answer and have emailed SFW personally with no answer, called with no answer so where to we go to get an answer?

Doesn't the Utah DNR actually run the raffle? if so, just ask them how many people bought tickets last year. But i can answer the question for them: The odds suck! But who cares, the money is going back to wildlife and you get another chance to draw a tag.

The vast majority of this money is being spent by the agencies and they cannot withold information from the public. So go down there and ask, don't send and e-mail into some generic info@ mail box, don't expect someone to read every thread on a website, go get the data you need!

Sportsman are so busy eating their young that we make the anti-hunters job very easy.

Doesn't the Utah DNR actually run the raffle? if so, just ask them how many people bought tickets last year. But i can answer the question for them: The odds suck! But who cares, the money is going back to wildlife and you get another chance to draw a tag.

The vast majority of this money is being spent by the agencies and they cannot withold information from the public. So go down there and ask, don't send and e-mail into some generic info@ mail box, don't expect someone to read every thread on a website, go get the data you need!

Sportsman are so busy eating their young that we make the anti-hunters job very easy.

Don,

As I mentioned before, I've been interested in joing SFW for a few years now. Like Hunt33, I just want to see an accounting of where my money (and all the money) goes within the organization. I don't doubt SFW is doing wonderful things for Utah's and the rest of the West's wildlife. Only a fool wouldn't acknowledge that.

Like others have requested, please do send me an invite to the meeting you plan on holding in April. I'd love to attend and have my concerns resolved. If they are, I will sign up that very evening and become an advocate for the organization. I like you can't do anything half-assed. If I'm in... I'm all in! After all, any job worth doing is worth doing well right? Please stick to your intentions come April. I look forward to meeting you in person and will be listening intently.

Sincerely,

Noel Slater (aka Eyeguard)

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

Don,

As I mentioned before, I've been interested in joing SFW for a few years now. Like Hunt33, I just want to see an accounting of where my money (and all the money) goes within the organization. I don't doubt SFW is doing wonderful things for Utah's and the rest of the West's wildlife. Only a fool wouldn't acknowledge that.

Like others have requested, please do send me an invite to the meeting you plan on holding in April. I'd love to attend and have my concerns resolved. If they are, I will sign up that very evening and become an advocate for the organization. I like you can't do anything half-assed. If I'm in... I'm all in! After all, any job worth doing is worth doing well right? Please stick to your intentions come April. I look forward to meeting you in person and will be listening intently.

Sincerely,

Noel Slater (aka Eyeguard)

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

Mr Peay,

What's the big deal. First - With the event of computer and the vast and easy access of information, you certainly could put out a short list for people to see. TOTAL REVENUE, WAGES AND BENEFITS, OTHER ADMINSTRATION COSTS, AMOUNTS DIRECTED TO IMPROVEMENT OF SELECTED AREAS OF DEER, ELK, ETC. ETC. I'm sure it could be done in easy and efficent manner - just need desire.

Second - a full transparency of the gift to SFW of my/our draw tags to make sure of a honest and full accounting of ALL PERMITS.

The country is clear full SCAMS that are easy to see. PARTIAL SCAMS and INEFFICENT AND DISHONEST companies are not.

I sure SFW is an honest organization, but how honest and how efficient?

Mr Peay,

What's the big deal. First - With the event of computer and the vast and easy access of information, you certainly could put out a short list for people to see. TOTAL REVENUE, WAGES AND BENEFITS, OTHER ADMINSTRATION COSTS, AMOUNTS DIRECTED TO IMPROVEMENT OF SELECTED AREAS OF DEER, ELK, ETC. ETC. I'm sure it could be done in easy and efficent manner - just need desire.

Second - a full transparency of the gift to SFW of my/our draw tags to make sure of a honest and full accounting of ALL PERMITS.

The country is clear full SCAMS that are easy to see. PARTIAL SCAMS and INEFFICENT AND DISHONEST companies are not.

I sure SFW is an honest organization, but how honest and how efficient?

MR PEAY

I BELIEVE THAT YOU WORK VERY HARD FOR WILDLIFE AND SFW HAVE DONE LOTS FOR UTAH WILDLIFE. I THINK MOST OF THE POST SUPPORT WHAT IS BEING DONE, BUT WOULD LIKE SOME QUESTION ANSWERED TO PUT THERE MIND TO REST.
I DISAGREE WITH SOME OF THE DIRECTION SFW HAS TAKEN. BUT THAT IS TYPICAL, WE CANNOT AGREE ON EVERYTHING.
MY CONCERN IS THE NUMBER OF TAG UTAH ALLOTS TO CONSERVATION ORGANIZATIONS EACH YEAR. MORE THAN ALL WESTERN STATES COMBINED. I ASKED THE QUESTION ABOUT THE EXPO BEFORE, THIS BENEFITS NATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS, WHY IS UTAH THE MAIN SOURCE FOR TAGS. DOES ALL MONEYS GENERATED FROM UTAH TAGS STAY IN UTAH (I HOPE)? I WOULD LIKE TO SEE EQUAL AMOUNTS OF TAGS FROM ALL STATES THAT WILL BENEFIT.

WILL THE EXPO BE IN UTAH FOR 2010? IF NOT WILL UTAH TAGS STAY HOME.

MR PEAY

I BELIEVE THAT YOU WORK VERY HARD FOR WILDLIFE AND SFW HAVE DONE LOTS FOR UTAH WILDLIFE. I THINK MOST OF THE POST SUPPORT WHAT IS BEING DONE, BUT WOULD LIKE SOME QUESTION ANSWERED TO PUT THERE MIND TO REST.
I DISAGREE WITH SOME OF THE DIRECTION SFW HAS TAKEN. BUT THAT IS TYPICAL, WE CANNOT AGREE ON EVERYTHING.
MY CONCERN IS THE NUMBER OF TAG UTAH ALLOTS TO CONSERVATION ORGANIZATIONS EACH YEAR. MORE THAN ALL WESTERN STATES COMBINED. I ASKED THE QUESTION ABOUT THE EXPO BEFORE, THIS BENEFITS NATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS, WHY IS UTAH THE MAIN SOURCE FOR TAGS. DOES ALL MONEYS GENERATED FROM UTAH TAGS STAY IN UTAH (I HOPE)? I WOULD LIKE TO SEE EQUAL AMOUNTS OF TAGS FROM ALL STATES THAT WILL BENEFIT.

WILL THE EXPO BE IN UTAH FOR 2010? IF NOT WILL UTAH TAGS STAY HOME.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-09 AT 06:41PM (MST)[p] what have
>you accomplished Triple BB?

I've alerted a lot of folks what a crock of sheet SFW WY is and how you've sold out in the past to the outfitting industry. Since yer running yer lip, why not answer some of the questions others have posted about where the money goes. Why don't you explain why you guys aren't on board to save the Wyoming Range? Every sportsman group, conservation group, hunters, sportsman, etc., out there is pushing to stop further exploration in the Wyoming Range. The last time I read, not you guys. Did big Don take a kickback from the oil & gas industry to stay out of the fight? Feel free to move back to Utard, yer definitely not needed in Wyoming....

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-09 AT 06:41PM (MST)[p] what have
>you accomplished Triple BB?

I've alerted a lot of folks what a crock of sheet SFW WY is and how you've sold out in the past to the outfitting industry. Since yer running yer lip, why not answer some of the questions others have posted about where the money goes. Why don't you explain why you guys aren't on board to save the Wyoming Range? Every sportsman group, conservation group, hunters, sportsman, etc., out there is pushing to stop further exploration in the Wyoming Range. The last time I read, not you guys. Did big Don take a kickback from the oil & gas industry to stay out of the fight? Feel free to move back to Utard, yer definitely not needed in Wyoming....

Triple BS,

You seem to be the one running your mouth off.

Keep it up you just strengthen my point.

It is far easier to cast stones as those trying to make a difference rather than doing something yourself.

You should ask Tom Reed (Trout Unlimited) why he was unable to convince WY SFW to sign on to their agenda or you could talk with Senator Barasso's office to see what level of involvement we (WY SFW) had in the Wyoming Range legislation. SFW has long supported multiple use of our Public Lands. Wyoming's position has always been that of responsible development of our energy resources. Where do you think the money has been coming from that has allowed the Wyoming Wildlife and Natural Resource Trust to function? Wyoming has successfully balanced World Class Wildlife Resources with National demands of our Mineral Resources. I would prefer to work with Industry to address the dire conditions of our limited winter ranges. Doing nothing hasn't seemed to help improve winter range conditions. Doing nothing hasn't increased our ability to maintain healthy and robust populations of mule deer, pronghorn, sage grouse, etc. Most sage brush steppe zones have reached climax stage and something needs to be done to restart it. So Mr. Triple BS, you can sit on MM nightly and whine about all the ills in this World or you can try and do something proactive and productive. I have chosen the later, but to each his own.

Triple BS,

You seem to be the one running your mouth off.

Keep it up you just strengthen my point.

It is far easier to cast stones as those trying to make a difference rather than doing something yourself.

You should ask Tom Reed (Trout Unlimited) why he was unable to convince WY SFW to sign on to their agenda or you could talk with Senator Barasso's office to see what level of involvement we (WY SFW) had in the Wyoming Range legislation. SFW has long supported multiple use of our Public Lands. Wyoming's position has always been that of responsible development of our energy resources. Where do you think the money has been coming from that has allowed the Wyoming Wildlife and Natural Resource Trust to function? Wyoming has successfully balanced World Class Wildlife Resources with National demands of our Mineral Resources. I would prefer to work with Industry to address the dire conditions of our limited winter ranges. Doing nothing hasn't seemed to help improve winter range conditions. Doing nothing hasn't increased our ability to maintain healthy and robust populations of mule deer, pronghorn, sage grouse, etc. Most sage brush steppe zones have reached climax stage and something needs to be done to restart it. So Mr. Triple BS, you can sit on MM nightly and whine about all the ills in this World or you can try and do something proactive and productive. I have chosen the later, but to each his own.

WOW! Some of you guys are unbelievable. More often than not I bite my tongue on issues like this one but this attack stinks to high heaven. I don't know how many of you guys remember back when there were very few elk in Utah and people just kept hunting them. I don't agree with everything that SFW does but they have my loyalty until they do more harm than good, a nd I can honestly say that I can not see that ever happening. As far as the money thing goes....I will ask some questions that I would bet not one of you can answer. Where are your tax dollars spent? Is there a public internet forum where you can go and discuss "PUBLIC" funding? How much do your Senators and HR's make a year? What kind of perks are your "elected public officials" getting that you don't know about? It's your money! Don't you know where it's spent. Does Don and the rest of the governing officials of SFW make a good wage. By hell I hope so!!! I gauran-damn-ty not one of you would do that kind of work for free!!! If you want to join SFW that's great. If you want to join another conservation group that's great too. I belong to several (i.e. NWTF, RMEF, MDF, SCI, SFW and UBA) and donate many hours as well as thousands of dollars out my own damn pocket every year just like thousands of other outdoor enthusiasts that I'm sure would be offended by some of your comments. Don is exactly right, the other conservation groups are not any more transparent than SFW. The listing of projects and money spent on those projects are in the quarterly magazine that is published by the same people that publishe Trophy Hunter Magazine. The same goes for MDF (Muley Crazy Magazine) and RMEF. If you're not a member, you won't get the magazine. I save every issue and anybody here is welcome to one. Send me your address and I will send you the current copy. In fact, broadfork, if you will PM me your address I will pay for your first year. Then you can make up your own mind when that year is up.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

WOW! Some of you guys are unbelievable. More often than not I bite my tongue on issues like this one but this attack stinks to high heaven. I don't know how many of you guys remember back when there were very few elk in Utah and people just kept hunting them. I don't agree with everything that SFW does but they have my loyalty until they do more harm than good, a nd I can honestly say that I can not see that ever happening. As far as the money thing goes....I will ask some questions that I would bet not one of you can answer. Where are your tax dollars spent? Is there a public internet forum where you can go and discuss "PUBLIC" funding? How much do your Senators and HR's make a year? What kind of perks are your "elected public officials" getting that you don't know about? It's your money! Don't you know where it's spent. Does Don and the rest of the governing officials of SFW make a good wage. By hell I hope so!!! I gauran-damn-ty not one of you would do that kind of work for free!!! If you want to join SFW that's great. If you want to join another conservation group that's great too. I belong to several (i.e. NWTF, RMEF, MDF, SCI, SFW and UBA) and donate many hours as well as thousands of dollars out my own damn pocket every year just like thousands of other outdoor enthusiasts that I'm sure would be offended by some of your comments. Don is exactly right, the other conservation groups are not any more transparent than SFW. The listing of projects and money spent on those projects are in the quarterly magazine that is published by the same people that publishe Trophy Hunter Magazine. The same goes for MDF (Muley Crazy Magazine) and RMEF. If you're not a member, you won't get the magazine. I save every issue and anybody here is welcome to one. Send me your address and I will send you the current copy. In fact, broadfork, if you will PM me your address I will pay for your first year. Then you can make up your own mind when that year is up.

www.awholelottabull.com

+1 awholelottabull, I was going to say that they put out a list of projects and what they spent on them in there magazine.

To be honest, they do a HELL of alot of good for wild life in Ut. You cant go wrong with becomeing a member.

Jake H. MM Member since 1999.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

+1 awholelottabull, I was going to say that they put out a list of projects and what they spent on them in there magazine.

To be honest, they do a HELL of alot of good for wild life in Ut. You cant go wrong with becomeing a member.

Jake H. MM Member since 1999.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

why are some of you so hell bent on getting expo draw odds? so you can save 25 bucks and not put in for an elk tag in the top 5 units in the state? guess what, the odds suck, so dont apply. i just dont get it.

why are some of you so hell bent on getting expo draw odds? so you can save 25 bucks and not put in for an elk tag in the top 5 units in the state? guess what, the odds suck, so dont apply. i just dont get it.

Reddog,

I think I can answer this for you. First let me say I belong to most of the big organizations that support wildlife. Not because I believe in everything that they do, but more for what they stand for, preserving our hunting rights and protecting the animals we all love.

I work for a public agency and deal with the public on a daily basis. I get asked numerous questions about integrity, trust and transparency. It is imperative for public entities like SFW to show these type of traits in there day to day business. I realize that SFW is not a public entity, however without public support it would not exist at its capacity today. If there is any hint of back door deals, quid pro quo's you will loose your effectiveness in dealing with the real issues as you see here on this post. I don't know Mr. Peay but I will give him credit for standing toe to toe an answering questions that he should answer but doesn't have to and others in similar positons have not.

I do not live in Utah but I think it is reasonable to ask where all the money for the tags go, who gets it and the circumstances around the draws of these tags. Remember, the tags are issued by the state fish and wildlife agency funded by taxes of the citizens of Utah. It may not be important to you about the draw odds, but it is obviously important to some other citizens of Utah. I have watched numerous posts on this in the past but have not posted. It seems to me that if these simple questions were answered, most folks would move on even if they didn't like the answer, because it wouldn't be a big secret any longer.

The whole issue obviously is drawing attention away from the great work these type of wildlife groups do for hunters whether they donate or not.

Rich

Reddog,

I think I can answer this for you. First let me say I belong to most of the big organizations that support wildlife. Not because I believe in everything that they do, but more for what they stand for, preserving our hunting rights and protecting the animals we all love.

I work for a public agency and deal with the public on a daily basis. I get asked numerous questions about integrity, trust and transparency. It is imperative for public entities like SFW to show these type of traits in there day to day business. I realize that SFW is not a public entity, however without public support it would not exist at its capacity today. If there is any hint of back door deals, quid pro quo's you will loose your effectiveness in dealing with the real issues as you see here on this post. I don't know Mr. Peay but I will give him credit for standing toe to toe an answering questions that he should answer but doesn't have to and others in similar positons have not.

I do not live in Utah but I think it is reasonable to ask where all the money for the tags go, who gets it and the circumstances around the draws of these tags. Remember, the tags are issued by the state fish and wildlife agency funded by taxes of the citizens of Utah. It may not be important to you about the draw odds, but it is obviously important to some other citizens of Utah. I have watched numerous posts on this in the past but have not posted. It seems to me that if these simple questions were answered, most folks would move on even if they didn't like the answer, because it wouldn't be a big secret any longer.

The whole issue obviously is drawing attention away from the great work these type of wildlife groups do for hunters whether they donate or not.

Rich

IMPORTANT INFO-

...about the 200 tags... I hear people on here keep saying that at least the money from the 200 tags is going to a good cause. The money from the 200 tags is $0... nada... nothing. The $5 app fee is cover the cost of the company doing the expo drawing. They signed a 5 year contract with the expo. It's why it is $5 vs. the $10 we pay now in Utah for the same fee. The $5 was a 5 yr agreement to cover the costs to run it. Not saying anything either way about this... just get your facts straight - the 200 tags generate $0 for wildlife. They are just a way to get people to the expo, thus a way to sell booths to vendors, etc.. etc.. all a good business plan really.

Don - correct if I'm wrong about the $5 app fee. Would love to be wrong on this one.

P.S. - I'm a member of SFW and support them and many other conservation groups, drove over for the show, didn't draw squat.

IMPORTANT INFO-

...about the 200 tags... I hear people on here keep saying that at least the money from the 200 tags is going to a good cause. The money from the 200 tags is $0... nada... nothing. The $5 app fee is cover the cost of the company doing the expo drawing. They signed a 5 year contract with the expo. It's why it is $5 vs. the $10 we pay now in Utah for the same fee. The $5 was a 5 yr agreement to cover the costs to run it. Not saying anything either way about this... just get your facts straight - the 200 tags generate $0 for wildlife. They are just a way to get people to the expo, thus a way to sell booths to vendors, etc.. etc.. all a good business plan really.

Don - correct if I'm wrong about the $5 app fee. Would love to be wrong on this one.

P.S. - I'm a member of SFW and support them and many other conservation groups, drove over for the show, didn't draw squat.

Crap, if I had read WHOLELOTOFBULL's post I could have gone to bed three hours ago but since I didn't and since I poured out my heart and soul I'm going to go ahead and repeat much of what he said. Sorry to bore you, I doubt our saying it twice will change any minds but it will make me feel better.

boardfork
I believe your orginal inquiry was an excellent question. Do you think you might get this volume of information when you inquire of the other wildlife organizations?

You wanted to join an organization what was getting something done as I understand it?

Now that you've heard from a few (very few actually) folks, could I ask you a few questions regarding what you've read?

Even though you have heard from very few MM members, SFW members and non-members, do you think there would be this many opinions and as many passionate people who will discuss your inquiry so openly, with total strangers, if SFW wasn?t getting alot of wildlife related things done?

There isn't much to say, for or against, a passive organization, is there?

If your not drawing lightning it's generally because you're laying on your stomach. The winners are the player that play above the rim, that steal the ball, that make the no look pass, that take the charge and get it in the hole inspite of the bad calls. Is that not true?

I hope you don't mind if I take a minute and share a little of my history so you can appreciate why I would ask you to consider these questions and why I support SFW and especially Don Peay.

In my opinion, if you want to study groups that straddle the fence on hunting and fishing issues you may want to ask some of these questions to the presidents of the National Wildlife Federation and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. These are but two examples of groups that have found themselves having to back away from many hunting and fishing issues because they find themselves offending one side of their membership as they attempt to support the other side and they grow less and less effective as they try to please more and more people. Haven?t you noticed that as you've observed other organizations, be they for wildlife or whatever.

During the 1980?s I was elected to the board of the Utah Wildlife Federation, the organization that two future Division of Wildlife Directors belonged to at that time. The two were Mr. Robert (Bob) Valintine and Mr. John Kimball. In spite of the Utah Wildlife Federation?s (UWF) desire to support hunting and fishing the organization choose, on many issues, to ?not take a position? because it was offensive to some of it's members.

In my opinion it was cowardly and wrong and I told my fellow board members that many, many times. You might ask, ?why did you stay in the organization.? I stayed for two calculated reasons.

Prior to 1993, as weak as the UWF was, it was a statewide organization with the largest sportsmen membership and it's president was always appointed, by the Governor of the Utah, to the most powerful wildlife board in the State, that being the State of Utah Wildlife Board. It performed the same task as the current State of Utah Wildlife Board but it functioned prior the current RAC system. In the 1970?s, through the 1980?s and until the early 1990?s if you wanted any chance of influencing wildlife issues in Utah, as a sportsman, you had the best chance, in my opinion, of doing it through membership in the UFW. Mr. Valintine and Mr. Kimball must have believed the same or I doubt they would have taken the time to be involved. The other reason I stayed with the UWF was to battle for what I believed was in the best interested in the hunting and fishing issues that we were dealing with at that time. I figured, someone needed to push the UWF to do what I believed was in the best interest of wildlife/hunting and fishing. I fought them, they didn't like me much and I'm still not on their Christmas card list.

Mr. Valintine and Mr. Kimball delighted in introducting me as ?one of those hook and bullet types?. I didn't care, I pushed them, I fought them and I won my share for battles for sportsman. I'll take 100% credit for the 15/100 buck/doe ratio objectives that the DWR still uses today. If it hadn't been for one well intended but misguided member of the UWF board we would have had the state wide buck/doe ratio set at 25 buck per 100 doe back in the early 1990?s. If time permitted I could share with you of many other fights that were won and lost and why. The point I'm attempting to make is so you might have some appreciation for what Don Peay and SFW are attempting to do now.

During the early 1990?s the UFW become so weak and so impotent there become absolutely no reason to stay involved. There is no greater waste of time that beating a dead horse. UFW became a dead horse, beating it was a foolish investment in anymore time.

Who filled the void? In 1993, because the UWF had become inept SFW and Don Peay had little trouble rallying a hostile and frustrated sportsman community to work toward more and better herds of wildlife, specifcially mule deer and to re-establish sportsmen with political power in Utah. (Yes, I know about the deer and know they've expanding beyond Utah but lets deal with one thought at a time if you don't mind. It's hard enough for me to focus on just one thought let alone two or three at once.)

Even though it seems like SFW will at time take a ?no position? stance on an issue there is a huge different between the UWF and SFw. Do you think, in 15 years has SFW ever had to ?check it's bet?, have they ever had to ?fold?em?? By their admission they have. Has any CEO, Board President, Governor, U.S. President ever had to say to his Board and membership, ?this sucker is a tar baby (no racial slur intented, just a figure of speech to make a point), there is no way we can touch this subject without getting covered in black sticky tar, so let's step back and fight it another day in another way?. That is a huge difference than simply not taking a position out of fear. If, as sportsmen, we can't step back and see that, regardless of what Don Peay says on-line or off-line, we'll always have trouble understanding what SFW has to do to get things done for sportsmen. What kind of leader is going to charge into a fight, spend limited resources, and waste collateral, when they know, for certan, that even if they win, they lose. Who wants to invest time or money in that kind of foolishness. The holding and folding of a dynamic and agressive organization is far different than the fearful hesitation of an inept one. I'm not wishing to be disrespectful of the UWF, as I said, I was on the board for many years, I am just sharing some facts from the past. Does that make sense?

I too am actually shocked that Don is willing to respond on-line at all. Everything anyone say?s, you, I or Don, is subject to constant argument, questioning, sarcasum, and leaves one open for even more critizim.

I have no idea who the Presidents of FNAWS, MDF, RMEF, etc. are but I wonder how anyone one of those folks would react to the kinds of questions and demands made on SFW.

As I mentioned earlier, maybe you would be interested in asking the original question to the RMEF or FNAWS, Trout Unlimited, or the Wild Turkey Federation, see if they will invited hostle non-members to analyze their stratagies and the plans they have to leverage their resources. Do you believe the other organizations would open their every detail to anyone who asks. If the folks for PETA or Friends of Animals sent Don an e-mail and wanted to see the goods, would you want him to do that too? Where do you draw the line? How many of us have asked to see the records, the budgets, the coming strategies of the DNR or the DWR. Why not, they are public, they have to show you. They spend far more of your money that SFW does. Why aren't we asking these questions to DWR or the DOT? What are you spend on gasoline taxes, are we asking to see the DOT?s doings? I'd invite you to try to understand it , even if you were fortunate enough to get it. I can't imagine any of them would even consider responding.

Don seems determined to try and satisfy even those that seem to loth him. Why would he do that if he was hiding something?

I would suggest a possible answer.

He cares about SFW and believes what it is doing is the best that can be done and he seems to believes he has worked out a reasonable and responsible way to get it done. If he was hiding something is doesnt
seem to me he would be as confrontational as he is to criticism. When someone confronts Don about doing what he thinks is best for sportsmen and wildlife he returns resistance. Isn?t that what you'd want from a leader that is fighting for your cause? Have you ever noticed the behavior of someone questioned by the press the has something to hide? They aren't responding to on-line forums, as far as I can tell.

Further to the transparency issue. I believe, although I'm not certain, that there is division of SFW or a SFW affiliates or whatever you call those other groups like the habitat stuff that are non-profit. Other parts of SFW are not non-profit and subject to taxation. If I'm not mistaken non-profits are different from for profit organizations. If you were to look into the regulations that govern the non-profits you can determine what your allowed or not allowed to see, according to state law. So far as the ?for profit? side of the business, I guess it wouldn't be rude to suggest that it's no ones business but the owner. You choose to do business with the company or not, its your choice but your not usually invited to see how it spends its money.

Suggesting that SFW has purchased the DWR could be a little risky but I guess we all get passionate and I understood what you meant. I don't believe SFW is powerful enough to control the DNR or the DWR. I've watched SFW loose too many battles with the DWR over the last 15 years. I'd guess the DNR/DWR have a love/hate relationship with SFW. Some days SFW comes with solutions, some days they come with a pole axe. Depends on the issue and the big picture. There is one thing for certain, you better being something to the table that works for everyone once in a while unless you want to find the door lock everytime you want in. If your always the problem and never the solution, well, you know how that works after a few years.

You have to trust someone, somewhere, sometime. Go up to the DNR Offices and the DWR Offices and ask the Directors the question you've asked the members of MM. Why would individuals in these State agencies risk their jobs and reputations if they believed SFW was doing something what could further stain an already battered agency. Would you risk your job so Don Peay could boost about planting bitter brush? If you're really worried there has been an inappropriate use of funds at SFW I guess you could ask the State Tax Commission

In case you have a question regarding my relationship with SFW and Don Peay. I know Don, but not well. I am not on his Board but he will e-mail me once in a great while and ask me what I think about some issue that he's trying to decide on. Many times we see things differently but not always. He respects my perspective, I usually understand his. I've never been in a SFW Board Meeting. I do not know any SFW board members. I'd guess I've seen some of them at various events I've attended but maybe not, I have no idea. I've never asked him who they are, never cared. I only care what they do. I have children and grandchildren and I want wildlife/hunting and fishing for them. I try to see the big picture but you have to be much more involved that I am to see it or understand it to the degree that you can be of much value. I've done my time in the hunting/fishing wars. Times have changed, there are different enemies today than there were 15 years ago. I trust his intent and his judgement. Don can do it now, he's twenty years younger and still has fire in his belly. The fire will burn down soon enough but for now why not try to help keep it burning.

Let me say this, Don and I have been the rounds on mule deer. I care more about mule deer than any other species we hunt. I spend every minute I can enjoying this magnificent creature. It drives me crazy to see what has happened to them. I have never given Don a minutes peace about doing more for mule deer. Here is what I have come to believe. If there was any thing more he could do, he would do it. I don't know why deer are still in the tank but they are and there are a hundred opinions and probably an hundred reasons why they are doing so poorly. I know Don knows the mule deer issue is the horse he rode to the parade and I know that if he could he'd have done more by now. If for no other reason just to shut me up. I have been on his case for the entire 15 years. I know hundreds of others have been as well. He can't walk down a street in South Central Utah and not get bombarded with people asking him what can be done about our deer herds. I believe Don still wants to do more for mule deer. I know he does but what do you expect him to say? ?I failed, I guess I'll quite?. I hope not, I prefer optimism and aggression. I like people that get up when the Federal Judge knocks them down and plans another round. So......inspite of my personal frustration with deer I want him fighting for me, fighting when he can for deer and fighting for other wildlife issues when he can't get anyone to do anything about our deer. Let me ask this question. If SFW can't do something about our deer herd tell me one other person or group of people who can, I'd would love to know. I imagine a hundred thousand others would like to know as well.

Regarding the expo draws, I don't know what was said or not said before the expo or exactly what folks want to see when they speak of transparency. Unless you believe names were selected rather than drawn what would is the there to see. Is the question, ?how many bought a chance?? Are folks worried about the odds? What? I guess if sportsmen wouldn't buy a chance if the odds were too high that would make some sense as to why people want to see the odds? Maybe odds have nothing to do with why they are asking to see more transparency at SFW. Maybe it's some other principal they are wrestling with. Wouldn?t those answers be just a available at throught the DNR/DWR. The agencies control the expo tags. Do people actually believe that the DNR/DWR are in some kind of collusion with SFW? We have an Attorney General that answers those kinds of concerns.

I get asked to purchase raffle tickets for hunts in Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, etc almost every year. I've never even heard anyone ever asking what the odds are on those draws. What is the difference? It just makes me believe that folks sucking a bruise because SFW has taken a position on an issue they disagree with and forever afterward they want to harass and frustrate Don Peay personally. Is that what this is about?

I have never considered buying a chance at the expo as a real chance to draw a tag. I've always considered it small donation. I want to help a little with the fund raising effort. I can't donate thousands for a tag so I do what little I can by buying a $100 worth of raffle tickets. I have never expecting to draw a tag. Sure I hope too but, really..........

Yes Brine, I did draw an expo tag this year. For some reason you seem ti want to infer that because I support SFW I was selected rather than drawn. We had this conversation in your kitchen before this post was ever started. Fact is, you never posted until you saw that I posted, recommending boardfork join SFW. It makes me wonder if you were attempting to discredit my comments or suggest others view my opinion with a jaded eye. I know you suspect there is something wrong, I do not. Don Peay owes me nothing, what could I possibly do for him that would cause him to risk his entire organization on me, or any other person. I have no money, I have zero polictical influence, all I have is a big mouth and I've used it on him as often as not. I guess you think he selected the lady from Glenwood that drew the antelop tag too. Tell me, did the DWR select rather than draw our names fairly when you, Kay and I drew the Paunseguent tags in 1994? Was that fixed too? If it was, you too were in on the fix.

Of course, everything is a conspiracy, right? Elvis is alive, the U.S. flew those planes in to the world trade center and killed all those people, they've never been to the moon, the earth is flat, and what else, Don Peay selects the expo tags. Give me a break. I don't think it's funny that you would infer that on a public post, just to be contrary. Your a good friend and I think the world of you and your family so don't get offended now, you said what you did, so I get to respond, that how this works I guess.

boardfork, I would offer this final observation and so far as I'm concerned, I do mean final, if SFW and Don Peay fold up their tent and go home, you better be ready to pucker up and kiss?er good-bye because there is no other organization that will fight the fight they are giving us for $20 a year. If you want to win some fights for hunting and fishing, join SFW. If you want to join some great groups that love wildlife, fishing and hunting, there are truly a lot to choose from. Join a half dozen or them, seriously, $15 to $20 for membership and you get a nice magazine, sometimes get invited to a fun banquet (you pay extra for that of course, same with SFW). You get to meet some great people with common interests that love wildlife but if you want to belong to a group that's got the gloves off (old hockey term that just came out) and ready to rumble join SFW along with any others you join. I did, no regrets.

Respectfully,
DC

Crap, if I had read WHOLELOTOFBULL's post I could have gone to bed three hours ago but since I didn't and since I poured out my heart and soul I'm going to go ahead and repeat much of what he said. Sorry to bore you, I doubt our saying it twice will change any minds but it will make me feel better.

boardfork
I believe your orginal inquiry was an excellent question. Do you think you might get this volume of information when you inquire of the other wildlife organizations?

You wanted to join an organization what was getting something done as I understand it?

Now that you've heard from a few (very few actually) folks, could I ask you a few questions regarding what you've read?

Even though you have heard from very few MM members, SFW members and non-members, do you think there would be this many opinions and as many passionate people who will discuss your inquiry so openly, with total strangers, if SFW wasn?t getting alot of wildlife related things done?

There isn't much to say, for or against, a passive organization, is there?

If your not drawing lightning it's generally because you're laying on your stomach. The winners are the player that play above the rim, that steal the ball, that make the no look pass, that take the charge and get it in the hole inspite of the bad calls. Is that not true?

I hope you don't mind if I take a minute and share a little of my history so you can appreciate why I would ask you to consider these questions and why I support SFW and especially Don Peay.

In my opinion, if you want to study groups that straddle the fence on hunting and fishing issues you may want to ask some of these questions to the presidents of the National Wildlife Federation and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. These are but two examples of groups that have found themselves having to back away from many hunting and fishing issues because they find themselves offending one side of their membership as they attempt to support the other side and they grow less and less effective as they try to please more and more people. Haven?t you noticed that as you've observed other organizations, be they for wildlife or whatever.

During the 1980?s I was elected to the board of the Utah Wildlife Federation, the organization that two future Division of Wildlife Directors belonged to at that time. The two were Mr. Robert (Bob) Valintine and Mr. John Kimball. In spite of the Utah Wildlife Federation?s (UWF) desire to support hunting and fishing the organization choose, on many issues, to ?not take a position? because it was offensive to some of it's members.

In my opinion it was cowardly and wrong and I told my fellow board members that many, many times. You might ask, ?why did you stay in the organization.? I stayed for two calculated reasons.

Prior to 1993, as weak as the UWF was, it was a statewide organization with the largest sportsmen membership and it's president was always appointed, by the Governor of the Utah, to the most powerful wildlife board in the State, that being the State of Utah Wildlife Board. It performed the same task as the current State of Utah Wildlife Board but it functioned prior the current RAC system. In the 1970?s, through the 1980?s and until the early 1990?s if you wanted any chance of influencing wildlife issues in Utah, as a sportsman, you had the best chance, in my opinion, of doing it through membership in the UFW. Mr. Valintine and Mr. Kimball must have believed the same or I doubt they would have taken the time to be involved. The other reason I stayed with the UWF was to battle for what I believed was in the best interested in the hunting and fishing issues that we were dealing with at that time. I figured, someone needed to push the UWF to do what I believed was in the best interest of wildlife/hunting and fishing. I fought them, they didn't like me much and I'm still not on their Christmas card list.

Mr. Valintine and Mr. Kimball delighted in introducting me as ?one of those hook and bullet types?. I didn't care, I pushed them, I fought them and I won my share for battles for sportsman. I'll take 100% credit for the 15/100 buck/doe ratio objectives that the DWR still uses today. If it hadn't been for one well intended but misguided member of the UWF board we would have had the state wide buck/doe ratio set at 25 buck per 100 doe back in the early 1990?s. If time permitted I could share with you of many other fights that were won and lost and why. The point I'm attempting to make is so you might have some appreciation for what Don Peay and SFW are attempting to do now.

During the early 1990?s the UFW become so weak and so impotent there become absolutely no reason to stay involved. There is no greater waste of time that beating a dead horse. UFW became a dead horse, beating it was a foolish investment in anymore time.

Who filled the void? In 1993, because the UWF had become inept SFW and Don Peay had little trouble rallying a hostile and frustrated sportsman community to work toward more and better herds of wildlife, specifcially mule deer and to re-establish sportsmen with political power in Utah. (Yes, I know about the deer and know they've expanding beyond Utah but lets deal with one thought at a time if you don't mind. It's hard enough for me to focus on just one thought let alone two or three at once.)

Even though it seems like SFW will at time take a ?no position? stance on an issue there is a huge different between the UWF and SFw. Do you think, in 15 years has SFW ever had to ?check it's bet?, have they ever had to ?fold?em?? By their admission they have. Has any CEO, Board President, Governor, U.S. President ever had to say to his Board and membership, ?this sucker is a tar baby (no racial slur intented, just a figure of speech to make a point), there is no way we can touch this subject without getting covered in black sticky tar, so let's step back and fight it another day in another way?. That is a huge difference than simply not taking a position out of fear. If, as sportsmen, we can't step back and see that, regardless of what Don Peay says on-line or off-line, we'll always have trouble understanding what SFW has to do to get things done for sportsmen. What kind of leader is going to charge into a fight, spend limited resources, and waste collateral, when they know, for certan, that even if they win, they lose. Who wants to invest time or money in that kind of foolishness. The holding and folding of a dynamic and agressive organization is far different than the fearful hesitation of an inept one. I'm not wishing to be disrespectful of the UWF, as I said, I was on the board for many years, I am just sharing some facts from the past. Does that make sense?

I too am actually shocked that Don is willing to respond on-line at all. Everything anyone say?s, you, I or Don, is subject to constant argument, questioning, sarcasum, and leaves one open for even more critizim.

I have no idea who the Presidents of FNAWS, MDF, RMEF, etc. are but I wonder how anyone one of those folks would react to the kinds of questions and demands made on SFW.

As I mentioned earlier, maybe you would be interested in asking the original question to the RMEF or FNAWS, Trout Unlimited, or the Wild Turkey Federation, see if they will invited hostle non-members to analyze their stratagies and the plans they have to leverage their resources. Do you believe the other organizations would open their every detail to anyone who asks. If the folks for PETA or Friends of Animals sent Don an e-mail and wanted to see the goods, would you want him to do that too? Where do you draw the line? How many of us have asked to see the records, the budgets, the coming strategies of the DNR or the DWR. Why not, they are public, they have to show you. They spend far more of your money that SFW does. Why aren't we asking these questions to DWR or the DOT? What are you spend on gasoline taxes, are we asking to see the DOT?s doings? I'd invite you to try to understand it , even if you were fortunate enough to get it. I can't imagine any of them would even consider responding.

Don seems determined to try and satisfy even those that seem to loth him. Why would he do that if he was hiding something?

I would suggest a possible answer.

He cares about SFW and believes what it is doing is the best that can be done and he seems to believes he has worked out a reasonable and responsible way to get it done. If he was hiding something is doesnt
seem to me he would be as confrontational as he is to criticism. When someone confronts Don about doing what he thinks is best for sportsmen and wildlife he returns resistance. Isn?t that what you'd want from a leader that is fighting for your cause? Have you ever noticed the behavior of someone questioned by the press the has something to hide? They aren't responding to on-line forums, as far as I can tell.

Further to the transparency issue. I believe, although I'm not certain, that there is division of SFW or a SFW affiliates or whatever you call those other groups like the habitat stuff that are non-profit. Other parts of SFW are not non-profit and subject to taxation. If I'm not mistaken non-profits are different from for profit organizations. If you were to look into the regulations that govern the non-profits you can determine what your allowed or not allowed to see, according to state law. So far as the ?for profit? side of the business, I guess it wouldn't be rude to suggest that it's no ones business but the owner. You choose to do business with the company or not, its your choice but your not usually invited to see how it spends its money.

Suggesting that SFW has purchased the DWR could be a little risky but I guess we all get passionate and I understood what you meant. I don't believe SFW is powerful enough to control the DNR or the DWR. I've watched SFW loose too many battles with the DWR over the last 15 years. I'd guess the DNR/DWR have a love/hate relationship with SFW. Some days SFW comes with solutions, some days they come with a pole axe. Depends on the issue and the big picture. There is one thing for certain, you better being something to the table that works for everyone once in a while unless you want to find the door lock everytime you want in. If your always the problem and never the solution, well, you know how that works after a few years.

You have to trust someone, somewhere, sometime. Go up to the DNR Offices and the DWR Offices and ask the Directors the question you've asked the members of MM. Why would individuals in these State agencies risk their jobs and reputations if they believed SFW was doing something what could further stain an already battered agency. Would you risk your job so Don Peay could boost about planting bitter brush? If you're really worried there has been an inappropriate use of funds at SFW I guess you could ask the State Tax Commission

In case you have a question regarding my relationship with SFW and Don Peay. I know Don, but not well. I am not on his Board but he will e-mail me once in a great while and ask me what I think about some issue that he's trying to decide on. Many times we see things differently but not always. He respects my perspective, I usually understand his. I've never been in a SFW Board Meeting. I do not know any SFW board members. I'd guess I've seen some of them at various events I've attended but maybe not, I have no idea. I've never asked him who they are, never cared. I only care what they do. I have children and grandchildren and I want wildlife/hunting and fishing for them. I try to see the big picture but you have to be much more involved that I am to see it or understand it to the degree that you can be of much value. I've done my time in the hunting/fishing wars. Times have changed, there are different enemies today than there were 15 years ago. I trust his intent and his judgement. Don can do it now, he's twenty years younger and still has fire in his belly. The fire will burn down soon enough but for now why not try to help keep it burning.

Let me say this, Don and I have been the rounds on mule deer. I care more about mule deer than any other species we hunt. I spend every minute I can enjoying this magnificent creature. It drives me crazy to see what has happened to them. I have never given Don a minutes peace about doing more for mule deer. Here is what I have come to believe. If there was any thing more he could do, he would do it. I don't know why deer are still in the tank but they are and there are a hundred opinions and probably an hundred reasons why they are doing so poorly. I know Don knows the mule deer issue is the horse he rode to the parade and I know that if he could he'd have done more by now. If for no other reason just to shut me up. I have been on his case for the entire 15 years. I know hundreds of others have been as well. He can't walk down a street in South Central Utah and not get bombarded with people asking him what can be done about our deer herds. I believe Don still wants to do more for mule deer. I know he does but what do you expect him to say? ?I failed, I guess I'll quite?. I hope not, I prefer optimism and aggression. I like people that get up when the Federal Judge knocks them down and plans another round. So......inspite of my personal frustration with deer I want him fighting for me, fighting when he can for deer and fighting for other wildlife issues when he can't get anyone to do anything about our deer. Let me ask this question. If SFW can't do something about our deer herd tell me one other person or group of people who can, I'd would love to know. I imagine a hundred thousand others would like to know as well.

Regarding the expo draws, I don't know what was said or not said before the expo or exactly what folks want to see when they speak of transparency. Unless you believe names were selected rather than drawn what would is the there to see. Is the question, ?how many bought a chance?? Are folks worried about the odds? What? I guess if sportsmen wouldn't buy a chance if the odds were too high that would make some sense as to why people want to see the odds? Maybe odds have nothing to do with why they are asking to see more transparency at SFW. Maybe it's some other principal they are wrestling with. Wouldn?t those answers be just a available at throught the DNR/DWR. The agencies control the expo tags. Do people actually believe that the DNR/DWR are in some kind of collusion with SFW? We have an Attorney General that answers those kinds of concerns.

I get asked to purchase raffle tickets for hunts in Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, etc almost every year. I've never even heard anyone ever asking what the odds are on those draws. What is the difference? It just makes me believe that folks sucking a bruise because SFW has taken a position on an issue they disagree with and forever afterward they want to harass and frustrate Don Peay personally. Is that what this is about?

I have never considered buying a chance at the expo as a real chance to draw a tag. I've always considered it small donation. I want to help a little with the fund raising effort. I can't donate thousands for a tag so I do what little I can by buying a $100 worth of raffle tickets. I have never expecting to draw a tag. Sure I hope too but, really..........

Yes Brine, I did draw an expo tag this year. For some reason you seem ti want to infer that because I support SFW I was selected rather than drawn. We had this conversation in your kitchen before this post was ever started. Fact is, you never posted until you saw that I posted, recommending boardfork join SFW. It makes me wonder if you were attempting to discredit my comments or suggest others view my opinion with a jaded eye. I know you suspect there is something wrong, I do not. Don Peay owes me nothing, what could I possibly do for him that would cause him to risk his entire organization on me, or any other person. I have no money, I have zero polictical influence, all I have is a big mouth and I've used it on him as often as not. I guess you think he selected the lady from Glenwood that drew the antelop tag too. Tell me, did the DWR select rather than draw our names fairly when you, Kay and I drew the Paunseguent tags in 1994? Was that fixed too? If it was, you too were in on the fix.

Of course, everything is a conspiracy, right? Elvis is alive, the U.S. flew those planes in to the world trade center and killed all those people, they've never been to the moon, the earth is flat, and what else, Don Peay selects the expo tags. Give me a break. I don't think it's funny that you would infer that on a public post, just to be contrary. Your a good friend and I think the world of you and your family so don't get offended now, you said what you did, so I get to respond, that how this works I guess.

boardfork, I would offer this final observation and so far as I'm concerned, I do mean final, if SFW and Don Peay fold up their tent and go home, you better be ready to pucker up and kiss?er good-bye because there is no other organization that will fight the fight they are giving us for $20 a year. If you want to win some fights for hunting and fishing, join SFW. If you want to join some great groups that love wildlife, fishing and hunting, there are truly a lot to choose from. Join a half dozen or them, seriously, $15 to $20 for membership and you get a nice magazine, sometimes get invited to a fun banquet (you pay extra for that of course, same with SFW). You get to meet some great people with common interests that love wildlife but if you want to belong to a group that's got the gloves off (old hockey term that just came out) and ready to rumble join SFW along with any others you join. I did, no regrets.

Respectfully,
DC

I cannot agree more with wholelottabull and DC that SFW has done more for Utah wildlife than any other conservation group. I just don't understand why someone cannot question or fight for what issues they believe to be important. I don't think anyone should be personally attacking Mr. Peay, but sportsman should have every right to ask the major groups to get behind what cause is important to them fishing, birds, mule deer, wolves etc. Be able to ask how they spend there money, follow up on promises made etc. Whenever someone questions SFW,MDF, RMEF, NRA etc. They are viewed by as fighting against there own. I think this is what makes the system work. We have no problem questioning or criticizing Mr. Bush or Mr. Obama our local officials who do something against whatever we feel is important. By doing that by these standards we are unpatriotic. I try to research every group I give money to and ask questions kidney foundation, Jerrys Kids. What is wrong with wanting to know where your money goes? Several have said we should take a leap and just give blindly. I am sure all those people who just said my money is in good hands Bernie Madoff takes care of it, he is one of the most brilliant financial minds in the world. I am not inferring any of these groups are doing anything illegal or just taking our money, but in today's political climate one of the biggest issues was transparency and accountability people just want answers not back room deals or at least the appearance of back room deals by dodging questions. If you are a non profit or an public or elected official you signed up for all this questioning and demand for accountability. These are not positions of privacy the minute you take someones donation or taxpayer money. That is what makes the system work.

I cannot agree more with wholelottabull and DC that SFW has done more for Utah wildlife than any other conservation group. I just don't understand why someone cannot question or fight for what issues they believe to be important. I don't think anyone should be personally attacking Mr. Peay, but sportsman should have every right to ask the major groups to get behind what cause is important to them fishing, birds, mule deer, wolves etc. Be able to ask how they spend there money, follow up on promises made etc. Whenever someone questions SFW,MDF, RMEF, NRA etc. They are viewed by as fighting against there own. I think this is what makes the system work. We have no problem questioning or criticizing Mr. Bush or Mr. Obama our local officials who do something against whatever we feel is important. By doing that by these standards we are unpatriotic. I try to research every group I give money to and ask questions kidney foundation, Jerrys Kids. What is wrong with wanting to know where your money goes? Several have said we should take a leap and just give blindly. I am sure all those people who just said my money is in good hands Bernie Madoff takes care of it, he is one of the most brilliant financial minds in the world. I am not inferring any of these groups are doing anything illegal or just taking our money, but in today's political climate one of the biggest issues was transparency and accountability people just want answers not back room deals or at least the appearance of back room deals by dodging questions. If you are a non profit or an public or elected official you signed up for all this questioning and demand for accountability. These are not positions of privacy the minute you take someones donation or taxpayer money. That is what makes the system work.

Lumpy and Bull,

Thanks for your replys.

I don't have the time to write a long post. I don't believe everything that SFW has done or likly will do. I have been involved with Wildlife issues for 15 yrs. When DWR Dirrector Valintine was on board, My Uncle was a DWR CO officer. I know some things that were going on. Big Game herds were no priority. Non game animals were a priority. Some of our license money were used for non game animals. Herds were declining. Elk herds couldn't expand in many areas because of ranching conflicts. Hunting licenses were over sold. DWR budgets were getting cut. Meaning loss of hunting and fishing. Utah had a HUGE MESS.

Neighboring states have lost hunting opportunities. Bears, cougar, trapping,preditor control, etc.

Wolves are now killing more game than hunters in many areas in Idaho, MT, and WY.

Utah have gained spring bear hunting. We have pro hunters on the wildlife board, pro hunter leading the DWR and DNR. We have good support on capital hill, in difficult times.

Utah is doing more wildlife transplants, more habitat projects. More money to fight preditors. More money to buy winter range or easements. More money for highway projects to help with wildlife migrations. SFW is still leading and fighting in the wolf wars. etc,etc.

If we didn't have Don and SFW around. We would have a mess that likly, sportsmen would never be able to rebound from. I do know Don. I have been on the SFW board in the past. I know how hard they work. I know most of the board members. They represent sportsmen from all over the state. It's not a perfect organization. In my opinon it's the best group. SFW has made a huge difference. I would have quit long ago, If I didn't see the results and dedication to hunting and wildlife. It's worth donating time and getting involved if you like to hunt. I have been involved with many sportsmen groups in the past. I hope you consider all things when you make your decision. Good luck.

Lumpy and Bull,

Thanks for your replys.

I don't have the time to write a long post. I don't believe everything that SFW has done or likly will do. I have been involved with Wildlife issues for 15 yrs. When DWR Dirrector Valintine was on board, My Uncle was a DWR CO officer. I know some things that were going on. Big Game herds were no priority. Non game animals were a priority. Some of our license money were used for non game animals. Herds were declining. Elk herds couldn't expand in many areas because of ranching conflicts. Hunting licenses were over sold. DWR budgets were getting cut. Meaning loss of hunting and fishing. Utah had a HUGE MESS.

Neighboring states have lost hunting opportunities. Bears, cougar, trapping,preditor control, etc.

Wolves are now killing more game than hunters in many areas in Idaho, MT, and WY.

Utah have gained spring bear hunting. We have pro hunters on the wildlife board, pro hunter leading the DWR and DNR. We have good support on capital hill, in difficult times.

Utah is doing more wildlife transplants, more habitat projects. More money to fight preditors. More money to buy winter range or easements. More money for highway projects to help with wildlife migrations. SFW is still leading and fighting in the wolf wars. etc,etc.

If we didn't have Don and SFW around. We would have a mess that likly, sportsmen would never be able to rebound from. I do know Don. I have been on the SFW board in the past. I know how hard they work. I know most of the board members. They represent sportsmen from all over the state. It's not a perfect organization. In my opinon it's the best group. SFW has made a huge difference. I would have quit long ago, If I didn't see the results and dedication to hunting and wildlife. It's worth donating time and getting involved if you like to hunt. I have been involved with many sportsmen groups in the past. I hope you consider all things when you make your decision. Good luck.

2Lumpy,

Yes I have been suspicious of the draw and no I have never thought you were part of any conspiracy, but when you told me that Don Peay called to make sure you were coming to the expo and then Don Peay called and told you that you had drawn out, along with my belief that a select few pemits are for the "Chosen Ones", I was certainly skeptical.

Remember back when I drew a Bull Buffalo permit and the next year, after I un-mercifully got on to the DWR for what looked liked some inconsistencies in the draw, did I draw.

Again I say, maybe everything is as it should be, I hope so, but I would like to see some transparency for those tags given to SFW. I should have stopped a long time ago on this blog and again I say 2Lumpy, I trust you fully and know you would never be a part of any thing that is not above board. I am certainly not pointing a finger at you. I just wish everyone was as honest as you, but that just is not the case.

2Lumpy,

Yes I have been suspicious of the draw and no I have never thought you were part of any conspiracy, but when you told me that Don Peay called to make sure you were coming to the expo and then Don Peay called and told you that you had drawn out, along with my belief that a select few pemits are for the "Chosen Ones", I was certainly skeptical.

Remember back when I drew a Bull Buffalo permit and the next year, after I un-mercifully got on to the DWR for what looked liked some inconsistencies in the draw, did I draw.

Again I say, maybe everything is as it should be, I hope so, but I would like to see some transparency for those tags given to SFW. I should have stopped a long time ago on this blog and again I say 2Lumpy, I trust you fully and know you would never be a part of any thing that is not above board. I am certainly not pointing a finger at you. I just wish everyone was as honest as you, but that just is not the case.

Brine, The DWR does the expo draw. There are 5 alternate names drawn per hunt besides the first choice winner. I have seen the list and alternates. A friend of mine was second on the list for an elk tag. If you look at the winners it's pretty random where they live. Most are just ave guys, many from smaller towns. It's not like the three conservation groups get together over dinner and see who draws the expo tags. The DWR, leaders of conservation groups, and others are there during the draw. The DWR check to make sure no hunting privliges are revoked, and everyone has a license etc.

Brine, The DWR does the expo draw. There are 5 alternate names drawn per hunt besides the first choice winner. I have seen the list and alternates. A friend of mine was second on the list for an elk tag. If you look at the winners it's pretty random where they live. Most are just ave guys, many from smaller towns. It's not like the three conservation groups get together over dinner and see who draws the expo tags. The DWR, leaders of conservation groups, and others are there during the draw. The DWR check to make sure no hunting privliges are revoked, and everyone has a license etc.

I was wondering how long it would take for the SFW faithful to jump down the throats of us ?ungrateful bastards? who have the audacity to question SFW. In fact, I predicted this response. See post # 39.

I freely admit that SFW does many very good things for Utah?s wildlife and puts lots of money on the ground. For that I am grateful and appreciative. Does this mean that I have to follow along like a sheep and never question SFW on any issue? No.

Let me explain my concern with SFW. Over the last few years, SFW has become a very powerful organization that raises huge amounts of money annually and has the ability to greatly influence political and administrative decisions regarding wildlife. How does SFW raise that money? Several ways. First, SFW and other conservation groups are granted a significant number of conservation and expo tags each year. These are public tags that are taken out of the public draw and given to these entities to sale/raffle. I don't particularly care whether you agree or disagree with this process. What is important to me (and should be to you as well) is that the funds generated from the sale of these public tags are used carefully and efficiently for the benefit of wildlife. Is this occurring? I don't know.

Second, SFW and the other conservation groups hold numerous banquets and other fund-raising events each year where they solicit donations from outdoorsmen like me and you. As stated previously, I have been a member of several of these conservation groups, including SFW, over the years. I have also spent significant sums of money at these fund-raising events. Each person should decide for himself if they are comfortable donating money to the various conservation groups. As for me, I have reached a point where I would like to know where that money is going. In other words, I would like to know some basic information about SFW and other groups asking for my dollars, such as revenue, total costs, money put on the ground, salaries, administrative costs, etc. Is SFW obligated to provide this information? No. However, the refusal to provide any sort of accounting makes me wonder if they have something to hide. If SFW and these other groups are running efficient organizations and funneling the vast majority of these funds into projects that truly benefit wildlife, then why not show us the paper trail. That would answer the questions once and for all and would motivate us to pour additional funds into these groups.

A third issue that has been raised over and over again for the last couple of years is SFW?s refusal to release the drawing odds/numbers for the Hunting Expo. Why should this information be made public? Will it affect how many tags I apply for? No. However, SFW promised that this information would be public in the beginning. Moreover, the tags set aside for the Expo are a public resource. Therefore, the public should be able to know how many people apply for the tags and how much money is generated, etc. Without this information, it is impossible to know whether the Expo is generating the interest/revenue that was anticipated. And, whether it is a good investment for the State of Utah to set aside 200 tags for the Expo each year.

In summary, SFW is one of the leading wildlife conservation organizations that has done much good. I know there are many wonderful people who donate substantial amounts of time and money to assist this organization. My questions are not meant as an attack on these individuals. Rather, they are legitimate, good faith questions that deserve an honest answer. A little more transparency would go a long way toward resolving the concerns of many loyal outdoorsman who have become disenchanted with SFW and these other groups. Plus, if there is nothing to hide then why not provide the information, particularly when we are talking about a public resource (tags). Sharing of information is the best check and balance for this process. So, if I am an ?ungrateful bastard? because I had the audacity to raise legitimate questions regarding SFW, then so be it. As a concerned outdoorsman and a former SFW member, I am not afraid to take a little heat.

Jason Hawkins

I was wondering how long it would take for the SFW faithful to jump down the throats of us ?ungrateful bastards? who have the audacity to question SFW. In fact, I predicted this response. See post # 39.

I freely admit that SFW does many very good things for Utah?s wildlife and puts lots of money on the ground. For that I am grateful and appreciative. Does this mean that I have to follow along like a sheep and never question SFW on any issue? No.

Let me explain my concern with SFW. Over the last few years, SFW has become a very powerful organization that raises huge amounts of money annually and has the ability to greatly influence political and administrative decisions regarding wildlife. How does SFW raise that money? Several ways. First, SFW and other conservation groups are granted a significant number of conservation and expo tags each year. These are public tags that are taken out of the public draw and given to these entities to sale/raffle. I don't particularly care whether you agree or disagree with this process. What is important to me (and should be to you as well) is that the funds generated from the sale of these public tags are used carefully and efficiently for the benefit of wildlife. Is this occurring? I don't know.

Second, SFW and the other conservation groups hold numerous banquets and other fund-raising events each year where they solicit donations from outdoorsmen like me and you. As stated previously, I have been a member of several of these conservation groups, including SFW, over the years. I have also spent significant sums of money at these fund-raising events. Each person should decide for himself if they are comfortable donating money to the various conservation groups. As for me, I have reached a point where I would like to know where that money is going. In other words, I would like to know some basic information about SFW and other groups asking for my dollars, such as revenue, total costs, money put on the ground, salaries, administrative costs, etc. Is SFW obligated to provide this information? No. However, the refusal to provide any sort of accounting makes me wonder if they have something to hide. If SFW and these other groups are running efficient organizations and funneling the vast majority of these funds into projects that truly benefit wildlife, then why not show us the paper trail. That would answer the questions once and for all and would motivate us to pour additional funds into these groups.

A third issue that has been raised over and over again for the last couple of years is SFW?s refusal to release the drawing odds/numbers for the Hunting Expo. Why should this information be made public? Will it affect how many tags I apply for? No. However, SFW promised that this information would be public in the beginning. Moreover, the tags set aside for the Expo are a public resource. Therefore, the public should be able to know how many people apply for the tags and how much money is generated, etc. Without this information, it is impossible to know whether the Expo is generating the interest/revenue that was anticipated. And, whether it is a good investment for the State of Utah to set aside 200 tags for the Expo each year.

In summary, SFW is one of the leading wildlife conservation organizations that has done much good. I know there are many wonderful people who donate substantial amounts of time and money to assist this organization. My questions are not meant as an attack on these individuals. Rather, they are legitimate, good faith questions that deserve an honest answer. A little more transparency would go a long way toward resolving the concerns of many loyal outdoorsman who have become disenchanted with SFW and these other groups. Plus, if there is nothing to hide then why not provide the information, particularly when we are talking about a public resource (tags). Sharing of information is the best check and balance for this process. So, if I am an ?ungrateful bastard? because I had the audacity to raise legitimate questions regarding SFW, then so be it. As a concerned outdoorsman and a former SFW member, I am not afraid to take a little heat.

Jason Hawkins

"Yes I have been suspicious of the draw and no I have never thought you were part of any conspiracy, but when you told me that Don Peay called to make sure you were coming to the expo and then Don Peay called and told you that you had drawn out, along with my belief that a select few pemits are for the "Chosen Ones", I was certainly skeptical."

Suspicious??? LOL.... I guess I am a lot more important than I thought I was....

"Yes I have been suspicious of the draw and no I have never thought you were part of any conspiracy, but when you told me that Don Peay called to make sure you were coming to the expo and then Don Peay called and told you that you had drawn out, along with my belief that a select few pemits are for the "Chosen Ones", I was certainly skeptical."

Suspicious??? LOL.... I guess I am a lot more important than I thought I was....

Hawkeye wrote, "I don't particularly care whether you agree or disagree with this process. What is important to me (and should be to you as well) is that the funds generated from the sale of these public tags are used carefully and efficiently for the benefit of wildlife. Is this occurring? I don't know."

First of all Hawkeye....are you a member of Sportsman for Fish and Wildlife? Let's do some math here.....If you have a membership of 11,000 strong and charge them $30 per person to sign up that adds up to $330,000 each year. That's probably not enought to complete one winter range project from start to finish. I would have to look at the magazine but the projects listed there cover over a page. That's just the SFW magazine. The MDF magazine has projects just like that one. I think that some people forget that the "conservation tags" are dispersed over several conservation groups, NOT JUST THE SFW! The wildlife need these funds to help. Given the current economy and situation in Utah with unemployment and things, if it were not for those idividuals that appear to be above recession (i.e. $204,000 for statewide deer in Utah) I really think the wildlife would suffer. It is no doubt that the conservation groups are not getting as from businesses for donations and attendees this year and it will show. The conservation tags provide a much needed financial resource for our wildlife, iregardless of the fact the some people feel the need to know where every penny is spent. There have been some valid concerns voiced here that probably should be adressed. I really don't think that monstermuelys.com is the place to do so. If you can't notice a difference in the number of elk you see when you hit the hills (and I'm not talking 400" bulls) or the difference in the deer herd on the Book Cliffs, the buffalo herd on the Henries not to mention the deer down there, the big horn sheep and rocky mountian goats you can see from your back yard on occasion, all the turkeys you trip over in just about every drainage now....you better wake up. This is not somebody grandstanding! There is physical proof. Drive down I-15 or up hwy 6 and look at the winter range improvements. If a section of I-15 costs several million dollars, I can't imagine what those projects cost. Oh...yes I can, they are printed in the magazine. If you're a member you will get that. If not, you probably have no idea what you're talking about. I have herd of several riffs that people have had with individuals within SFW so they withdrew their membership and badmouth the organization. SFW as well as MDF, NWTF, RMEF, SCI, etc., all have their faults. However, if it were not for these groups, developers would have built us right out of our wildlife herds years ago. Our deer and elk herds would look like our pheasant population. I used to be an avid bird hunter. I haven't hunted pheasants in Utah in years. There aren't enough to make it worth my time. I honestly feel this is how our big game herds would be if it were not for individuals that generously donated (and continue to donate)their time and money for the sole benefit of wildlife. I really don't understand how people can attack an organization that has done so much good. Some people make SFW and other organizations sound like the big wildlife monster that is taking away their hunting opportunities. Maybe I have blinders on but I don't see how you argue with physical proof.

www.awholelottabull.com

Hawkeye wrote, "I don't particularly care whether you agree or disagree with this process. What is important to me (and should be to you as well) is that the funds generated from the sale of these public tags are used carefully and efficiently for the benefit of wildlife. Is this occurring? I don't know."

First of all Hawkeye....are you a member of Sportsman for Fish and Wildlife? Let's do some math here.....If you have a membership of 11,000 strong and charge them $30 per person to sign up that adds up to $330,000 each year. That's probably not enought to complete one winter range project from start to finish. I would have to look at the magazine but the projects listed there cover over a page. That's just the SFW magazine. The MDF magazine has projects just like that one. I think that some people forget that the "conservation tags" are dispersed over several conservation groups, NOT JUST THE SFW! The wildlife need these funds to help. Given the current economy and situation in Utah with unemployment and things, if it were not for those idividuals that appear to be above recession (i.e. $204,000 for statewide deer in Utah) I really think the wildlife would suffer. It is no doubt that the conservation groups are not getting as from businesses for donations and attendees this year and it will show. The conservation tags provide a much needed financial resource for our wildlife, iregardless of the fact the some people feel the need to know where every penny is spent. There have been some valid concerns voiced here that probably should be adressed. I really don't think that monstermuelys.com is the place to do so. If you can't notice a difference in the number of elk you see when you hit the hills (and I'm not talking 400" bulls) or the difference in the deer herd on the Book Cliffs, the buffalo herd on the Henries not to mention the deer down there, the big horn sheep and rocky mountian goats you can see from your back yard on occasion, all the turkeys you trip over in just about every drainage now....you better wake up. This is not somebody grandstanding! There is physical proof. Drive down I-15 or up hwy 6 and look at the winter range improvements. If a section of I-15 costs several million dollars, I can't imagine what those projects cost. Oh...yes I can, they are printed in the magazine. If you're a member you will get that. If not, you probably have no idea what you're talking about. I have herd of several riffs that people have had with individuals within SFW so they withdrew their membership and badmouth the organization. SFW as well as MDF, NWTF, RMEF, SCI, etc., all have their faults. However, if it were not for these groups, developers would have built us right out of our wildlife herds years ago. Our deer and elk herds would look like our pheasant population. I used to be an avid bird hunter. I haven't hunted pheasants in Utah in years. There aren't enough to make it worth my time. I honestly feel this is how our big game herds would be if it were not for individuals that generously donated (and continue to donate)their time and money for the sole benefit of wildlife. I really don't understand how people can attack an organization that has done so much good. Some people make SFW and other organizations sound like the big wildlife monster that is taking away their hunting opportunities. Maybe I have blinders on but I don't see how you argue with physical proof.

www.awholelottabull.com

Jim-

I know you are a good guy and a great guide, and I usually agree with most of your comments on this forum, but this time we will have to agree to disagree. Let me respond to a few of your comments/questions because you have called me out yet it is obvious that your did not pay any attention to my prior posts.

First, you asked, ?are you a member of Sportsman for Fish and Wildlife?? As I explained in all three of my prior posts, I am a former member of SFW. Why not a current member? Because I have some legitimate questions that nobody seems to want to answer.

Second, you point out that ?conservation tags are dispersed over several conservation groups, NOT JUST SFW!? I am well aware of that fact and my prior posts refer repeatedly to ?SFW and the other conservation groups.? In fact, I am/have been a member of at least two of these other groups.

Third, you state that ?given the current economy and situation in Utah with unemployment and things, if it were not for those individuals that appear to be above recession (i.e. $204,000 for statewide deer in Utah) I really think the wildlife would suffer.? I have not challenged the conservation permit system in this post. Rather, I have focused my comments on what actually happens to all of the money raised from those permits. I think wildlife would benefit even more of ALL of the money from the sale of conservation and expo tags went directly on the ground.

Fourth, you point out a number of projects and transplants have been funded with these permits. I am fully aware that SFW and the other conservation groups have participated in many valuable projects that have benefitted Utah?s wildlife. In fact, I acknowledged this in my prior posts. However, that is not the issue. You explanation is akin to a government official pointing out all of the roads and schools built by the government while telling me to stop questioning how my tax dollars are used.

Fifth, you admit that ?there have been some valid concerns voiced here that probably should be addressed? but ?monstermuleys.com is the place to do so.? Which concerns do consider to be valid? The two concerns I raised are (1) a request for numbers for the Hunting Expo; and (2) a request for a transparent accounting of how SFW uses it funds (much of which are derived from the sale of public tags). If this website is not an appropriate forum, then what is? These are not new or novel issues. People, including me, have been raising these questions for a long time. SFW and the other groups have had ample opportunity to address these concerns but they apparently have no intention to do so here or anywhere else.

Finally, you say ?I really don't understand how people can attack an organization that has done so much good.? Did I attack SFW in my prior comments? If you had read my last post you would have seen that I said ?My questions are not meant as an attack on these individuals. Rather, they are legitimate, good faith questions that deserve an honest answer.? I am simply looking for answers. Why doesn't somebody educate me? A simple, basic accounting would answer my questions and allow the public to see what portion of the funds raised by the entities actually end up on the ground as opposed to salaries and administrative expenses.

In closing, you and I are not that different. We both enjoy hunting and the outdoors and we are both passionate about wildlife. This dialogue started when broadfork asked a simple question and I provided my personal opinion. You may feel differently and I respect that. But I get tired of the dismissive attitude on this forum that if you ask any questions, you are not part of the team. I would welcome the opportunity to sit down over lunch and have a friendly discussion with Don or another SFW representative. In fact, I am willing to buy lunch. If anybody was willing to answer my questions with real information, I would even be willing to rejoin SFW and donate more time and money to their cause. Unfortunately, I doubt that day will ever come.

Jason

Jim-

I know you are a good guy and a great guide, and I usually agree with most of your comments on this forum, but this time we will have to agree to disagree. Let me respond to a few of your comments/questions because you have called me out yet it is obvious that your did not pay any attention to my prior posts.

First, you asked, ?are you a member of Sportsman for Fish and Wildlife?? As I explained in all three of my prior posts, I am a former member of SFW. Why not a current member? Because I have some legitimate questions that nobody seems to want to answer.

Second, you point out that ?conservation tags are dispersed over several conservation groups, NOT JUST SFW!? I am well aware of that fact and my prior posts refer repeatedly to ?SFW and the other conservation groups.? In fact, I am/have been a member of at least two of these other groups.

Third, you state that ?given the current economy and situation in Utah with unemployment and things, if it were not for those individuals that appear to be above recession (i.e. $204,000 for statewide deer in Utah) I really think the wildlife would suffer.? I have not challenged the conservation permit system in this post. Rather, I have focused my comments on what actually happens to all of the money raised from those permits. I think wildlife would benefit even more of ALL of the money from the sale of conservation and expo tags went directly on the ground.

Fourth, you point out a number of projects and transplants have been funded with these permits. I am fully aware that SFW and the other conservation groups have participated in many valuable projects that have benefitted Utah?s wildlife. In fact, I acknowledged this in my prior posts. However, that is not the issue. You explanation is akin to a government official pointing out all of the roads and schools built by the government while telling me to stop questioning how my tax dollars are used.

Fifth, you admit that ?there have been some valid concerns voiced here that probably should be addressed? but ?monstermuleys.com is the place to do so.? Which concerns do consider to be valid? The two concerns I raised are (1) a request for numbers for the Hunting Expo; and (2) a request for a transparent accounting of how SFW uses it funds (much of which are derived from the sale of public tags). If this website is not an appropriate forum, then what is? These are not new or novel issues. People, including me, have been raising these questions for a long time. SFW and the other groups have had ample opportunity to address these concerns but they apparently have no intention to do so here or anywhere else.

Finally, you say ?I really don't understand how people can attack an organization that has done so much good.? Did I attack SFW in my prior comments? If you had read my last post you would have seen that I said ?My questions are not meant as an attack on these individuals. Rather, they are legitimate, good faith questions that deserve an honest answer.? I am simply looking for answers. Why doesn't somebody educate me? A simple, basic accounting would answer my questions and allow the public to see what portion of the funds raised by the entities actually end up on the ground as opposed to salaries and administrative expenses.

In closing, you and I are not that different. We both enjoy hunting and the outdoors and we are both passionate about wildlife. This dialogue started when broadfork asked a simple question and I provided my personal opinion. You may feel differently and I respect that. But I get tired of the dismissive attitude on this forum that if you ask any questions, you are not part of the team. I would welcome the opportunity to sit down over lunch and have a friendly discussion with Don or another SFW representative. In fact, I am willing to buy lunch. If anybody was willing to answer my questions with real information, I would even be willing to rejoin SFW and donate more time and money to their cause. Unfortunately, I doubt that day will ever come.

Jason

It is amazing how some guys are so worried about how $20 membership dues or a few hundred bucks to attend a banquet are spent. Yet they want SFW to spend the time and money to publish the odds on the expo tags. I'll bet when you do get them they are somewhere around slim to none. If that is really such a hang up then go spend the time find out how many individuals applied for each tag and due the math. The utah DWR should have that info as they did the actual draw. As for where the money that SFW raises from conservation tags goes, by law 90%is spent on habitat projects approved by the DWR most of this money gets matched by other funds(state and federal)so it gets doubled and even tripled. The 10% SFW keeps is added with the other money raised from memberships and banquets to do things like buy winter range in cache valley, around Beaver, Kamas, and other various places around the state. Some is even kept in reserve to pay for feeding wildlife in times of need (like last winter 2008) or maybe to buy grazing permits in areas like Stansbury mountains(we now have a thriving bighorn population there) the Henry mountains so there can be more than 200 head of buffaloe running wild, the Book cliffs how do you think those buffaloe got there? Some of these oppurtunities come up on short notice and if the funds are not there then it is an oppurtunity lost, just 2 months ago one of these oppurtunities was taken and now there are 60 bighorns between duchesne and starvation res.
AWLB mentioned highway 6, UDOT did not want to spend extra money on game fencing and underpasses that are big game freindly but it was DKPEAY that made sure they get done there and other highways throughout the state this is an ongoing battle with no end in sight.
If you refuse to see the forest because of a few trees you should get a better vantage point.

It is amazing how some guys are so worried about how $20 membership dues or a few hundred bucks to attend a banquet are spent. Yet they want SFW to spend the time and money to publish the odds on the expo tags. I'll bet when you do get them they are somewhere around slim to none. If that is really such a hang up then go spend the time find out how many individuals applied for each tag and due the math. The utah DWR should have that info as they did the actual draw. As for where the money that SFW raises from conservation tags goes, by law 90%is spent on habitat projects approved by the DWR most of this money gets matched by other funds(state and federal)so it gets doubled and even tripled. The 10% SFW keeps is added with the other money raised from memberships and banquets to do things like buy winter range in cache valley, around Beaver, Kamas, and other various places around the state. Some is even kept in reserve to pay for feeding wildlife in times of need (like last winter 2008) or maybe to buy grazing permits in areas like Stansbury mountains(we now have a thriving bighorn population there) the Henry mountains so there can be more than 200 head of buffaloe running wild, the Book cliffs how do you think those buffaloe got there? Some of these oppurtunities come up on short notice and if the funds are not there then it is an oppurtunity lost, just 2 months ago one of these oppurtunities was taken and now there are 60 bighorns between duchesne and starvation res.
AWLB mentioned highway 6, UDOT did not want to spend extra money on game fencing and underpasses that are big game freindly but it was DKPEAY that made sure they get done there and other highways throughout the state this is an ongoing battle with no end in sight.
If you refuse to see the forest because of a few trees you should get a better vantage point.

Its funny how the faithful SFW drones lash out at everyone who simply asks questions.

I, and i believe i speak for several of us "jealous, lazy, sfw haters" am NOT AGAINST CONSERVATION!!!!!!!

But i do have a big problem with giving money blindly to an organization that has proven itself untrustworthy.

As many have said, a little transparancy would go a long ways.

Jim mentioned that SFW is not the only group recieving public tags, although that is correct sfw recieves more then the others. If we forced these groups to be a little more transparant then it would be easy to determine which group is the most effecient. The group that is most effecient with a public resource should get the most tags.

Don- if you are really going to have a meeting in april then i will be there. But i'm guessing its just another polititian making empty promises to try and snag a few more votes (money)

Its funny how the faithful SFW drones lash out at everyone who simply asks questions.

I, and i believe i speak for several of us "jealous, lazy, sfw haters" am NOT AGAINST CONSERVATION!!!!!!!

But i do have a big problem with giving money blindly to an organization that has proven itself untrustworthy.

As many have said, a little transparancy would go a long ways.

Jim mentioned that SFW is not the only group recieving public tags, although that is correct sfw recieves more then the others. If we forced these groups to be a little more transparant then it would be easy to determine which group is the most effecient. The group that is most effecient with a public resource should get the most tags.

Don- if you are really going to have a meeting in april then i will be there. But i'm guessing its just another polititian making empty promises to try and snag a few more votes (money)

30plus- That is a very pretty picture you painted but here is the problem. You ASSUME that 90% is going to habitat and you ASSUME that 10% is going into a general fund.

If SFW was open and honest and willing to prove that this is the case then i believe that everyone would be happy and membership would increase ten fold.

Its not that much to ask. I'm sure they have an accountant. Why can he just hit PRINT????

30plus- That is a very pretty picture you painted but here is the problem. You ASSUME that 90% is going to habitat and you ASSUME that 10% is going into a general fund.

If SFW was open and honest and willing to prove that this is the case then i believe that everyone would be happy and membership would increase ten fold.

Its not that much to ask. I'm sure they have an accountant. Why can he just hit PRINT????

Jason,
I was not trying to call you out, just quoting something you mentioned in your post. It's OK to disagree. It just seemed to me that it was getting to the point of bashing the things that I believe in. If you have a problem with the way things are run, IMO that's not the time to bail. That's the time to go to an SFW board meeting (open to members) voice your oppinion. I'm sure you would get a better response than individuals here calling out Don Peay. I too respect your oppinion. What I have a problem with are individuals that get sour over an issue and then completely disregard the good these conservation tags/groups do for wildlife. I am not pointing that finger at you by any means. It's easy to get emotional when it comes to wildlife issues.

Tut,
I guess if I'm a "drone" or am "just coming out of the woodwork" then you hit the nail on the head. You and I have some mutual friends. Ask them what kind of a drone I am or if I wait around and then just "come out of the woodwork" when called out. I tend to lean towards the "passionate about wildlife" label rather the ones you have thrown out.

Like I said, you raise some valid concerns. I think they should be more transparent on funds spent on things other than projects. I think we have enough if not slightly too many conservation tags. Do I want to know where every single penny is spent? Not at all. Do I care how much the "top dogs" make in the organization? Nope. I really don't care about the details of the dog in the fight as long as he's in there fighting. The physical proof is good enough for me. It will not shake my support at all unless they do more harm than good.

www.awholelottabull.com

Jason,
I was not trying to call you out, just quoting something you mentioned in your post. It's OK to disagree. It just seemed to me that it was getting to the point of bashing the things that I believe in. If you have a problem with the way things are run, IMO that's not the time to bail. That's the time to go to an SFW board meeting (open to members) voice your oppinion. I'm sure you would get a better response than individuals here calling out Don Peay. I too respect your oppinion. What I have a problem with are individuals that get sour over an issue and then completely disregard the good these conservation tags/groups do for wildlife. I am not pointing that finger at you by any means. It's easy to get emotional when it comes to wildlife issues.

Tut,
I guess if I'm a "drone" or am "just coming out of the woodwork" then you hit the nail on the head. You and I have some mutual friends. Ask them what kind of a drone I am or if I wait around and then just "come out of the woodwork" when called out. I tend to lean towards the "passionate about wildlife" label rather the ones you have thrown out.

Like I said, you raise some valid concerns. I think they should be more transparent on funds spent on things other than projects. I think we have enough if not slightly too many conservation tags. Do I want to know where every single penny is spent? Not at all. Do I care how much the "top dogs" make in the organization? Nope. I really don't care about the details of the dog in the fight as long as he's in there fighting. The physical proof is good enough for me. It will not shake my support at all unless they do more harm than good.

www.awholelottabull.com

Posted below is the relevant information for Oregon auction tags sold in 2008. This information is available on the ODFW website, along with previous years, under the "hunting resources" link, then ?auction/raffle tags?.

There are about the same number of raffle tags available in Oregon. A little harder to know how much is being raised, since raffle tickets get cheaper the more you buy, but the average per tag appears to be around $ 25K. Oregon law allows the organization to keep 10% of the auction tag amount for administrative expenses. I believe all the raffle funds stays with ODFW.

In my view, this is the information that should be make public for auction tags every year by BOTH Utah Fish and Wildlife and the Organizations that sell them. The same is true for money raised by the raffle tags. I also think many of the posts on this thread are missing the key point.

Utah has made the decision to place a very significant number of tags for a public resource into the conservation and raffle program. I think we can all agree that it is imperative that these tags generate the maximum possible revenue before removing them from the public draw process. That is where a public accounting becomes so critical. There is no question that the economic laws of supply and demand apply to the conservation tag program. Is more than 500 tags deluting the amount received per tag? Would 300 tags, or even 200, generate approximately the same income to the Dept? What if they got rid of all of them, except for 20 Statewide elk and 10 Statewide deer? Would that generate the same amount of funds, while releasing hundreds of tags back into the draw system?

I also hope that everyone would agree that a system that allows a few to purchase a tag every year while most will be lucky to get that tag 1-2 times in a lifetime is inherently unfair. It can only be justified if the funding generated per tag is huge. I think Oregon?s system meets that test. Unfortunately, there is no way to evaluate the value received in Utah, at least as far as I can determine.

There is a post in the elk forum that lists three conservation tags being sold for $ 4,500 ? $ 15,000. If that is accurate, it is a clear indicator that at least some of these tags are undervalued, most likely due to over supply in the Conservation tag program.

One final thought, at the time the Expo convention program was proposed, both Tony Abbott and Don Peay made several promises on this forum that draw odds and funds raised for Utah wildlife would be made public. They also promised that this event, and the loss of 200 public tags, would generate millions of dollars for Utah wildlife. Their unwillingness to follow through on those promises reflects poorly on them and their organizations. In my view, the fact that they and their organizations have done an enormous amount of good for Utah wildlife does not excuse them from following through with what was promised. Utah hunters deserve to know exactly how much money is ending up with the Department, and what those funds are being used for.

Scoutdog

TAG EVENT BID
Statewide Deer Safari Club International, Santiam River Chapter $32,000
Statewide Elk Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Curry Coastal Chapter $32,000
Bighorn Sheep Western Hunting and Conservation Expo $87,500
Statewide Combo Deer & Elk Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, National $40,000
Statewide Elk Oregon Hunters Association, Emerald Valley Chapter $15,500
Statewide Deer National Wild Turkey Federation, Rogue Gobblers $34,000
Statewide Deer Oregon Bow Hunters Association $24,000
Statewide Elk Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Cascade Chapter $26,000
Pronghorn Antelope Foundation for N.A. Sheep $10,000
Statewide Elk Oregon Hunters Association, Tillamook Chapter $23,000
Statewide Deer Oregon Hunters Association, State Chapter $22,000

Posted below is the relevant information for Oregon auction tags sold in 2008. This information is available on the ODFW website, along with previous years, under the "hunting resources" link, then ?auction/raffle tags?.

There are about the same number of raffle tags available in Oregon. A little harder to know how much is being raised, since raffle tickets get cheaper the more you buy, but the average per tag appears to be around $ 25K. Oregon law allows the organization to keep 10% of the auction tag amount for administrative expenses. I believe all the raffle funds stays with ODFW.

In my view, this is the information that should be make public for auction tags every year by BOTH Utah Fish and Wildlife and the Organizations that sell them. The same is true for money raised by the raffle tags. I also think many of the posts on this thread are missing the key point.

Utah has made the decision to place a very significant number of tags for a public resource into the conservation and raffle program. I think we can all agree that it is imperative that these tags generate the maximum possible revenue before removing them from the public draw process. That is where a public accounting becomes so critical. There is no question that the economic laws of supply and demand apply to the conservation tag program. Is more than 500 tags deluting the amount received per tag? Would 300 tags, or even 200, generate approximately the same income to the Dept? What if they got rid of all of them, except for 20 Statewide elk and 10 Statewide deer? Would that generate the same amount of funds, while releasing hundreds of tags back into the draw system?

I also hope that everyone would agree that a system that allows a few to purchase a tag every year while most will be lucky to get that tag 1-2 times in a lifetime is inherently unfair. It can only be justified if the funding generated per tag is huge. I think Oregon?s system meets that test. Unfortunately, there is no way to evaluate the value received in Utah, at least as far as I can determine.

There is a post in the elk forum that lists three conservation tags being sold for $ 4,500 ? $ 15,000. If that is accurate, it is a clear indicator that at least some of these tags are undervalued, most likely due to over supply in the Conservation tag program.

One final thought, at the time the Expo convention program was proposed, both Tony Abbott and Don Peay made several promises on this forum that draw odds and funds raised for Utah wildlife would be made public. They also promised that this event, and the loss of 200 public tags, would generate millions of dollars for Utah wildlife. Their unwillingness to follow through on those promises reflects poorly on them and their organizations. In my view, the fact that they and their organizations have done an enormous amount of good for Utah wildlife does not excuse them from following through with what was promised. Utah hunters deserve to know exactly how much money is ending up with the Department, and what those funds are being used for.

Scoutdog

TAG EVENT BID
Statewide Deer Safari Club International, Santiam River Chapter $32,000
Statewide Elk Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Curry Coastal Chapter $32,000
Bighorn Sheep Western Hunting and Conservation Expo $87,500
Statewide Combo Deer & Elk Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, National $40,000
Statewide Elk Oregon Hunters Association, Emerald Valley Chapter $15,500
Statewide Deer National Wild Turkey Federation, Rogue Gobblers $34,000
Statewide Deer Oregon Bow Hunters Association $24,000
Statewide Elk Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Cascade Chapter $26,000
Pronghorn Antelope Foundation for N.A. Sheep $10,000
Statewide Elk Oregon Hunters Association, Tillamook Chapter $23,000
Statewide Deer Oregon Hunters Association, State Chapter $22,000

Scoutdog,
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I do take exception to this statement however, "I also hope that everyone would agree that a system that allows a few to purchase a tag every year while most will be lucky to get that tag 1-2 times in a lifetime is inherently unfair. It can only be justified if the funding generated per tag is huge."

By this statement I am to assume that because I went to school and got a degree and have a great job that pays well vs. somebody that didn't go to school and has a job that doesn't pay well that it's unfair? Each of us have the same opportunity. I didn't have a scholarship and I worked and paid my own way through school. My parents weren't rich. Bottom line is Life isn't, has never been, nor will be fair in the future. I think we all know that to be fact.

You also stated, "It can only be justified if the funding generated per tag is huge." Here are some HUGE number for you. You tell me if they are big enough.

Utah Statewide Deer - $204,000
Utah Statewide Elk - $110,000 +/-
Henry Mountain Deer - $80,000 +/-

...and many other premium elk tags that will probably go into the tens of thousands of dollars. The economy may have an affect on the price of these tags but so far it hasn't shown much decrease.

www.awholelottabull.com

Scoutdog,
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I do take exception to this statement however, "I also hope that everyone would agree that a system that allows a few to purchase a tag every year while most will be lucky to get that tag 1-2 times in a lifetime is inherently unfair. It can only be justified if the funding generated per tag is huge."

By this statement I am to assume that because I went to school and got a degree and have a great job that pays well vs. somebody that didn't go to school and has a job that doesn't pay well that it's unfair? Each of us have the same opportunity. I didn't have a scholarship and I worked and paid my own way through school. My parents weren't rich. Bottom line is Life isn't, has never been, nor will be fair in the future. I think we all know that to be fact.

You also stated, "It can only be justified if the funding generated per tag is huge." Here are some HUGE number for you. You tell me if they are big enough.

Utah Statewide Deer - $204,000
Utah Statewide Elk - $110,000 +/-
Henry Mountain Deer - $80,000 +/-

...and many other premium elk tags that will probably go into the tens of thousands of dollars. The economy may have an affect on the price of these tags but so far it hasn't shown much decrease.

www.awholelottabull.com

Ryan, No one is assuming anything. 90% Does go to projects. And everything else 30 plus said is true as well. It gets printed and published all over the place every year. But if you knew that you would have to find something else to cry about. John Bair

Ryan, No one is assuming anything. 90% Does go to projects. And everything else 30 plus said is true as well. It gets printed and published all over the place every year. But if you knew that you would have to find something else to cry about. John Bair

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-09 AT 08:06AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-09 AT 08:03?AM (MST)

Jim-

There are no hard feeling here. I think this public dialogue is healthy and it may eventually lead to some actual answers to legitimate questions. I would be more than happy to attend an SFW board meeting if SFW would provide any of the information that has been requested. Heck, I have even offered to take Don or another SFW board member to lunch to discuss these issues. These concerns have been repeatedly expressed by numerous people over a period of several years. SFW has had ample opportunity to gather the relevant information and release it in the forum of their choice. It has chose not to.

I believe that these organizations have an ethical obligation to provide this information. Why not simply post their financial/accounting information on their websites? After all, these are not for-profit entities that are selling a product or service for a price. Rather, they are non-profit, tax-free entities that seek donations from you and me, and more importantly, have been entrusted with a permits taken from the public draw to raise money on behalf Utah?s wildlife. As such, I believe that these entities are stewards of a public resource and have an ethical obligation to disclose exactly how those funds are being used. I would hope that the State of Utah is performing an regular, in-depth audit into those funds. But I have little faith that there is any real oversight. Additionally, the 90% requirement only applies to funds raised from conservation permits. What about the funds raised from convention tags, membership fees, banquets, etc.? There are no legal constraints as to how those funds are used. If everything is on the up and up, then why not open up the books? This would resolve the cloud of uncertainty that has been hanging over these groups and would lead to additional participation from concerned sportsmen like me. The reason I believe this information is not released is because the average sportsman would be disappointed if they knew the amount of money that is spent on salaries, administrative costs, etc., and never actually hits the ground. I hope I am wrong but we will never know because SFW and the other groups tightly control this information.

So, to return to broadfork?s original question, ?what do you guys think about SFW?? I think I have stated my opinion pretty clearly. SFW is just like many of the other conservation groups (MDF, RMEF, WSF, SCI, DU). They raise lots of money and they do many very good things. According to its website, SFW participated at least in part in over $1 million worth of conservation projects in 2008. http://www.sfwsfh.org/documents/2008_Conservation_Projects.pdf I applaud SFW, its volunteers and the other conservation groups for these efforts. However, that does not end discussion, at least for me. I believe these groups have an obligation to account for how they use the funds they are entrusted with. The Federal Government is a great analogy. No one can argue that the government builds numerous roads and schools, and provides some very important services. Does this mean that we should never question how our tax dollars are spent?

I look forward to someday sitting down over lunch or attending Don?s upcoming meeting to discuss these issues in greater detail. I hope that SFW and these other groups understand that transparency is a good thing as long as they have nothing to hide. Until then, I will continue to be involved and support those issues that I believe in, and I suggest each of you do the same.

Jason Hawkins
[email protected]

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-09 AT 08:06AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-09 AT 08:03?AM (MST)

Jim-

There are no hard feeling here. I think this public dialogue is healthy and it may eventually lead to some actual answers to legitimate questions. I would be more than happy to attend an SFW board meeting if SFW would provide any of the information that has been requested. Heck, I have even offered to take Don or another SFW board member to lunch to discuss these issues. These concerns have been repeatedly expressed by numerous people over a period of several years. SFW has had ample opportunity to gather the relevant information and release it in the forum of their choice. It has chose not to.

I believe that these organizations have an ethical obligation to provide this information. Why not simply post their financial/accounting information on their websites? After all, these are not for-profit entities that are selling a product or service for a price. Rather, they are non-profit, tax-free entities that seek donations from you and me, and more importantly, have been entrusted with a permits taken from the public draw to raise money on behalf Utah?s wildlife. As such, I believe that these entities are stewards of a public resource and have an ethical obligation to disclose exactly how those funds are being used. I would hope that the State of Utah is performing an regular, in-depth audit into those funds. But I have little faith that there is any real oversight. Additionally, the 90% requirement only applies to funds raised from conservation permits. What about the funds raised from convention tags, membership fees, banquets, etc.? There are no legal constraints as to how those funds are used. If everything is on the up and up, then why not open up the books? This would resolve the cloud of uncertainty that has been hanging over these groups and would lead to additional participation from concerned sportsmen like me. The reason I believe this information is not released is because the average sportsman would be disappointed if they knew the amount of money that is spent on salaries, administrative costs, etc., and never actually hits the ground. I hope I am wrong but we will never know because SFW and the other groups tightly control this information.

So, to return to broadfork?s original question, ?what do you guys think about SFW?? I think I have stated my opinion pretty clearly. SFW is just like many of the other conservation groups (MDF, RMEF, WSF, SCI, DU). They raise lots of money and they do many very good things. According to its website, SFW participated at least in part in over $1 million worth of conservation projects in 2008. http://www.sfwsfh.org/documents/2008_Conservation_Projects.pdf I applaud SFW, its volunteers and the other conservation groups for these efforts. However, that does not end discussion, at least for me. I believe these groups have an obligation to account for how they use the funds they are entrusted with. The Federal Government is a great analogy. No one can argue that the government builds numerous roads and schools, and provides some very important services. Does this mean that we should never question how our tax dollars are spent?

I look forward to someday sitting down over lunch or attending Don?s upcoming meeting to discuss these issues in greater detail. I hope that SFW and these other groups understand that transparency is a good thing as long as they have nothing to hide. Until then, I will continue to be involved and support those issues that I believe in, and I suggest each of you do the same.

Jason Hawkins
[email protected]

I have spent the better part of twenty years working with wildlife conservation groups. I have chaired multiple banquets, MC'd events, worked on projects, and hosted youth hunters. Within these groups we have earned and spent millions of dollars on wildlife habitat projects.

All that being said, I believe that we will lose the right to hunt and fish before we ever run out of winter habitat, quality range, water holes, etc...At the current rate, the anti-hunters will win the war. They will win because sportsmen don't understand the value of political activism. We would rather build a water hole because it we can actually see it and put a trail camera on it. Meanwhile we will throw each other under every bus that comes along if we disagree with another hunters personality, methods, ideas, or hunting style.

So Hawkeye is probably right, most sportsmen would be ticked if they actually saw SFW's books. Alot of money is not going "on the ground", i would guess that SFW spends in excess of a million dollars a year on expenses, salaries, lobbying, etc...I am glad they are there doing the job, because nobody else is getting the job done. I am a life member of the NRA and yet i can list numerous times that i felt they dumped me on my head. But like SFW nobody is more plugged in and capable of defending or preserving our right to hunt and fish.

I will be at the expo next year, I will buy my NR hunting license, dump a bunch of money into the SLC economy, and buy my expo tickets and not win a thing.

I have spent the better part of twenty years working with wildlife conservation groups. I have chaired multiple banquets, MC'd events, worked on projects, and hosted youth hunters. Within these groups we have earned and spent millions of dollars on wildlife habitat projects.

All that being said, I believe that we will lose the right to hunt and fish before we ever run out of winter habitat, quality range, water holes, etc...At the current rate, the anti-hunters will win the war. They will win because sportsmen don't understand the value of political activism. We would rather build a water hole because it we can actually see it and put a trail camera on it. Meanwhile we will throw each other under every bus that comes along if we disagree with another hunters personality, methods, ideas, or hunting style.

So Hawkeye is probably right, most sportsmen would be ticked if they actually saw SFW's books. Alot of money is not going "on the ground", i would guess that SFW spends in excess of a million dollars a year on expenses, salaries, lobbying, etc...I am glad they are there doing the job, because nobody else is getting the job done. I am a life member of the NRA and yet i can list numerous times that i felt they dumped me on my head. But like SFW nobody is more plugged in and capable of defending or preserving our right to hunt and fish.

I will be at the expo next year, I will buy my NR hunting license, dump a bunch of money into the SLC economy, and buy my expo tickets and not win a thing.

I think the problem here is that for some reason everybody seems to forget that SFW and other organizations are ?playing with a ?PUBLIC RESOURCE.? The public?s resources are not a private commodity and should not be treated like one. The apparent lack of opening the books for public inspection does create a serious lack of trust. I applaud SFW for it's original cause, but through the years I have become very skeptical about what it's current agenda really is. From my side of the fence it appears to be nothing more than another political machine catering to special interests.
As far as the expo draw odds goes, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that you probably have better odds of hitting it big by going to Las Vegas and throwing your money down. However, again this is a ?PUBLIC RESOURCE? and the odds should be made public.
Now for you guy?s who are going to chastise me. I'm not a member of SFW and won't be until they change the way they conduct business. The only way I know how to voice my disapproval of something is by simply not supporting it. And don't tell me that by not being a member I'm not doing anything for wildlife. Unless you actually know me then you can't possibly have a clue as to what I do.
While were here can someone answer a question for me just out of curiosity? Why can the names of the lucky expo tag holders be put up for public view, but the names of individuals whom draw tags through the regular draw process are quashed? I understand keeping private information off the net, such as dates of birth, social security numbers and such, but a name and town wouldn't hurt a thing. After all I can open a phone book and get the very same type of information. I ask this because in the past, when the lists were made public many cases of foul play were brought to the attention of law enforcement. For example, I'm aware of a non resident that had applied for a resident tag and drew out. The person was only caught because of all the extra eye?s viewing the results. I hope some system is in place to monitor this type of activity.

I think the problem here is that for some reason everybody seems to forget that SFW and other organizations are ?playing with a ?PUBLIC RESOURCE.? The public?s resources are not a private commodity and should not be treated like one. The apparent lack of opening the books for public inspection does create a serious lack of trust. I applaud SFW for it's original cause, but through the years I have become very skeptical about what it's current agenda really is. From my side of the fence it appears to be nothing more than another political machine catering to special interests.
As far as the expo draw odds goes, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that you probably have better odds of hitting it big by going to Las Vegas and throwing your money down. However, again this is a ?PUBLIC RESOURCE? and the odds should be made public.
Now for you guy?s who are going to chastise me. I'm not a member of SFW and won't be until they change the way they conduct business. The only way I know how to voice my disapproval of something is by simply not supporting it. And don't tell me that by not being a member I'm not doing anything for wildlife. Unless you actually know me then you can't possibly have a clue as to what I do.
While were here can someone answer a question for me just out of curiosity? Why can the names of the lucky expo tag holders be put up for public view, but the names of individuals whom draw tags through the regular draw process are quashed? I understand keeping private information off the net, such as dates of birth, social security numbers and such, but a name and town wouldn't hurt a thing. After all I can open a phone book and get the very same type of information. I ask this because in the past, when the lists were made public many cases of foul play were brought to the attention of law enforcement. For example, I'm aware of a non resident that had applied for a resident tag and drew out. The person was only caught because of all the extra eye?s viewing the results. I hope some system is in place to monitor this type of activity.

John Bair-

I find it interesting that throughout this entire thread and all of its 85 plus posts the only comment you have made is to specifically call me out.

You are in a position to answer some of our questions and here is your chance.

If these conservation groups want to increase their membership then quit dodging the questions.

John Bair-

I find it interesting that throughout this entire thread and all of its 85 plus posts the only comment you have made is to specifically call me out.

You are in a position to answer some of our questions and here is your chance.

If these conservation groups want to increase their membership then quit dodging the questions.

I understand SFW's reluctance to embrace transparency for how they spend funds or the tag odds. Most of us do not want others knowing what we earn or what we spent to buy office furniture or to get that necessary but last-minute airplane ticket. Is also likely publicising the odds on the Expo tags would scare off some folks in 2010 who assume the odds on certain tags are a bit better.

SFW is almost certainly a squeakly-clean organization as are most banks and hedge funds though there are some bad apples in every barrel and transparency is one way to find the great apples while avoiding the bad apples.

I am not sure how transparency would hurt SFW though if SFW wants to maintain secrecy around some matters then that is a choice and all of us can decide if that choice means someone lied or if SFW should get our support.

My hunch is SFW wants to maintain some secrecy in order to increase the success of the Expo and to avoid upsetting existing donors if there was a last-minute airfare expenditure that might seem excessive taken out of context.

I understand SFW's reluctance to embrace transparency for how they spend funds or the tag odds. Most of us do not want others knowing what we earn or what we spent to buy office furniture or to get that necessary but last-minute airplane ticket. Is also likely publicising the odds on the Expo tags would scare off some folks in 2010 who assume the odds on certain tags are a bit better.

SFW is almost certainly a squeakly-clean organization as are most banks and hedge funds though there are some bad apples in every barrel and transparency is one way to find the great apples while avoiding the bad apples.

I am not sure how transparency would hurt SFW though if SFW wants to maintain secrecy around some matters then that is a choice and all of us can decide if that choice means someone lied or if SFW should get our support.

My hunch is SFW wants to maintain some secrecy in order to increase the success of the Expo and to avoid upsetting existing donors if there was a last-minute airfare expenditure that might seem excessive taken out of context.

From an outsider looking in is obvious that SFW does a ton of good but the PR work has been horrible. Post the odds, and show the accounting. Guides love the organization because there getting the high rollers who BUY the tags. We know how they feel about them. Russ

From an outsider looking in is obvious that SFW does a ton of good but the PR work has been horrible. Post the odds, and show the accounting. Guides love the organization because there getting the high rollers who BUY the tags. We know how they feel about them. Russ

I think wildlife would benefit even more of ALL of the money from the sale of conservation and expo tags went directly on the ground.

All but 10% of the tag sale has to go on the ground. That 10% is used to cover costs.

The remaining 90% gets matched funds from the Pittman Robertson act and other federal programs for habitat restoration. That is were alot of our tax money goes on the sell of ammo and firearms.

Because the money is now used for state and federal projects. It has to be accounted for by both state and federal agencies. There is no place for them to hide what was raised.

I think wildlife would benefit even more of ALL of the money from the sale of conservation and expo tags went directly on the ground.

All but 10% of the tag sale has to go on the ground. That 10% is used to cover costs.

The remaining 90% gets matched funds from the Pittman Robertson act and other federal programs for habitat restoration. That is were alot of our tax money goes on the sell of ammo and firearms.

Because the money is now used for state and federal projects. It has to be accounted for by both state and federal agencies. There is no place for them to hide what was raised.

They have been, the dwr has published them numbers on their site.

The foundations have also published the numbers in their publications that are available for all to see.

They have been, the dwr has published them numbers on their site.

The foundations have also published the numbers in their publications that are available for all to see.

A very careful search of the Utah Fish and Wildlife site did turn up some very limited information about the Conservation Permit system.

There is a summary that shows the number of permits through 2007. There is also specific information about money raised by organization, and money spent on projects, through 2006. There is no explanation on why the information is not provided for 2007. Since all permits are theoretically sold prior to the fall, it is unclear why there are no sales numbers for 2008.

Here are the numbers for auction tags in 2006:

382 permits raised approximately $ 3,000,000.00. That is an average of $ 7,853 per tag. This includes all of the statewide tags, bull elk LE tags, mule deer LE tags, as well as turkey tags and antlerless permits.

By comparison, Oregon auctioned 11 tags in 2008 and raised 346,000, an average of 31,000 per tag.

On the spending side, Utah listed all of the conservation projects funded with the money in 2006. All of that added up to approximately 1.5 million. There is no accounting for the balances remaining in conservation accounts within the dept, or if conservation funds were used for other types of programs.

I was unable to find any accounting or information about the 200 convention permits, either regarding funds recieved, or expended by the department.

The information I found was listed under Conservation permit info. If there is additional information posted other places, I would appreciate getting a link to that.

Scoutdog

A very careful search of the Utah Fish and Wildlife site did turn up some very limited information about the Conservation Permit system.

There is a summary that shows the number of permits through 2007. There is also specific information about money raised by organization, and money spent on projects, through 2006. There is no explanation on why the information is not provided for 2007. Since all permits are theoretically sold prior to the fall, it is unclear why there are no sales numbers for 2008.

Here are the numbers for auction tags in 2006:

382 permits raised approximately $ 3,000,000.00. That is an average of $ 7,853 per tag. This includes all of the statewide tags, bull elk LE tags, mule deer LE tags, as well as turkey tags and antlerless permits.

By comparison, Oregon auctioned 11 tags in 2008 and raised 346,000, an average of 31,000 per tag.

On the spending side, Utah listed all of the conservation projects funded with the money in 2006. All of that added up to approximately 1.5 million. There is no accounting for the balances remaining in conservation accounts within the dept, or if conservation funds were used for other types of programs.

I was unable to find any accounting or information about the 200 convention permits, either regarding funds recieved, or expended by the department.

The information I found was listed under Conservation permit info. If there is additional information posted other places, I would appreciate getting a link to that.

Scoutdog

Look if no one else has the balls to say it then I will. Let's call it like it is. I want to see SFW's accounting of where the money goes as much as anyone. At a time when the economy stinks, and money is hard to come by (as well as an honest/ethical executive it seems like... don't read into that... I'm not getting specific or implying anything), people want to hold the higher ups who are in charge of the $ accountable. Frankly, I don't want my $ going into the pockets of anyone at SFW if it's just going to overinflate their salary like many other executives in this country. I'm not saying they don't work hard blah blah blah. I just want my $ going to what I intend... which is to benefit the wildlife of Utah. That being said, I know that SFW staff (most of them anyway) probably work hard for the money they earn. However, as I mentioned... with $ being tight, I would rather see them take a pay cut (if necessary) then to have any less $ go to aiding Utah's herds and habitat. If SFW is unwilling to show how much really goes into Operation Costs (again I'm not looking for how much any specific person makes annually), then MAYBE it's because they feel a bit guilty that too much is going into their pockets, and not enough is really going to the cause. Pure speculation on my part, but I know others have been thinking the same thing.

Let me reiterate I admire what SFW and all the organizations do. They're certainly better than nothing, and no one can do it single handedly. I just think people are getting tired of those responsible for $ not being held accountable. Otherwise... I don't think this (SFW's books, etc.) would even be an issue. To ensure they are being responsible what harm will/does it do to show an accounting and resolve everyone's concerns. Like I said, I'd join in a heartbeat if I just had my concern resolved.

Again, because I know I'm going to get blasted by many who'll come after me, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, or speak out of line. I just think that many of us are thinking the same thing, and but we're all afraid to say it bluntly so we're skirting around what the concern is.

If I'm wrong, then please accept my sincere apology in advance!

Okay Boys, it's open season!

EG

campfire2.gif

Look if no one else has the balls to say it then I will. Let's call it like it is. I want to see SFW's accounting of where the money goes as much as anyone. At a time when the economy stinks, and money is hard to come by (as well as an honest/ethical executive it seems like... don't read into that... I'm not getting specific or implying anything), people want to hold the higher ups who are in charge of the $ accountable. Frankly, I don't want my $ going into the pockets of anyone at SFW if it's just going to overinflate their salary like many other executives in this country. I'm not saying they don't work hard blah blah blah. I just want my $ going to what I intend... which is to benefit the wildlife of Utah. That being said, I know that SFW staff (most of them anyway) probably work hard for the money they earn. However, as I mentioned... with $ being tight, I would rather see them take a pay cut (if necessary) then to have any less $ go to aiding Utah's herds and habitat. If SFW is unwilling to show how much really goes into Operation Costs (again I'm not looking for how much any specific person makes annually), then MAYBE it's because they feel a bit guilty that too much is going into their pockets, and not enough is really going to the cause. Pure speculation on my part, but I know others have been thinking the same thing.

Let me reiterate I admire what SFW and all the organizations do. They're certainly better than nothing, and no one can do it single handedly. I just think people are getting tired of those responsible for $ not being held accountable. Otherwise... I don't think this (SFW's books, etc.) would even be an issue. To ensure they are being responsible what harm will/does it do to show an accounting and resolve everyone's concerns. Like I said, I'd join in a heartbeat if I just had my concern resolved.

Again, because I know I'm going to get blasted by many who'll come after me, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, or speak out of line. I just think that many of us are thinking the same thing, and but we're all afraid to say it bluntly so we're skirting around what the concern is.

If I'm wrong, then please accept my sincere apology in advance!

Okay Boys, it's open season!

EG

campfire2.gif

LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-09 AT 04:57PM (MST)[p] What is the $485,000 in "consulting fees"?? I see Bryon Bateman listed as President for 83,900 in wages, but no Don peay, was Don Peay not on the payroll in 2007? Or is he a consultant?
I also did not know SFH had a SCHOLARSHIPS program for over $20k. What kind of scholarship program is it?

Maybe a tax guru can answer what the Consulting fees are, and what entity was paid that $485,242. That amount was more that habitat
projects listed @ $334,365

Interesting stuff. It shouldn't ruffle any feathers unless there is something to hide I guess.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-09 AT 04:57PM (MST)[p] What is the $485,000 in "consulting fees"?? I see Bryon Bateman listed as President for 83,900 in wages, but no Don peay, was Don Peay not on the payroll in 2007? Or is he a consultant?
I also did not know SFH had a SCHOLARSHIPS program for over $20k. What kind of scholarship program is it?

Maybe a tax guru can answer what the Consulting fees are, and what entity was paid that $485,242. That amount was more that habitat
projects listed @ $334,365

Interesting stuff. It shouldn't ruffle any feathers unless there is something to hide I guess.

Well I think you know where the $485,000 "consulting fee" went. That's a nice little "payday". Half a million dollars of your money for "consulting".

Well I think you know where the $485,000 "consulting fee" went. That's a nice little "payday". Half a million dollars of your money for "consulting".

LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-09 AT 05:59PM (MST)[p]
>Well I think you know where
>the $485,000 "consulting fee" went.
>That's a nice little "payday".
>Half a million dollars of
>your money for "consulting".

You don't know that, there was no description of what the consulting was, or who it was.

interesting read:
"Nonprofit corporations must pay taxes on income from "unrelated activities." Sometimes, a nonprofit organization will earn income through activities that aren't directly related to its nonprofit purpose; for example, the directors of an organization dedicated to preserving open space may collect a consulting fee for advising other nonprofits. The IRS requires nonprofits to pay corporate income taxes on such unrelated income over $1,000, whether or not the group uses that money to fund its tax-exempt activities. For more information on unrelated activities, see Earning Income as a Nonprofit Corporation"

LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-09 AT 05:59PM (MST)[p]
>Well I think you know where
>the $485,000 "consulting fee" went.
>That's a nice little "payday".
>Half a million dollars of
>your money for "consulting".

You don't know that, there was no description of what the consulting was, or who it was.

interesting read:
"Nonprofit corporations must pay taxes on income from "unrelated activities." Sometimes, a nonprofit organization will earn income through activities that aren't directly related to its nonprofit purpose; for example, the directors of an organization dedicated to preserving open space may collect a consulting fee for advising other nonprofits. The IRS requires nonprofits to pay corporate income taxes on such unrelated income over $1,000, whether or not the group uses that money to fund its tax-exempt activities. For more information on unrelated activities, see Earning Income as a Nonprofit Corporation"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom