Safe spots to solo camp?

IdahoSmitty

Hey guys, I'm brand new on here. I have a question for the guys who "bivy" out, or sleep out by themselves on a hunt. I have done it a few times but I really did not sleep to well and it sort of sucked wide awake at six o' clock pm and it being dark. (sort of wished I was cuddled up to a warm butt at home...my lady) Since I have just moved to Idaho from Washington I figure I'll be doing some overnight hunting by myself and would like to know if you guys prefer setting your camp in certain areas..ie (ridge, saddle, bench...etc) for safety reasons. I just wanted to see if that is a thought you have when hunting alone. Are there certain terrain or areas that you think are safest? Thanks, Smitty

What do you think is gonna happen to you? I try not to set up camp on the downwind side of a standing rotten tree...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-10 AT 00:35AM (MST)[p]If you want a hunting buddy to cuddle with, just ask, I'm sure you'll get lots of takers over here.

Sounds like you are the kind of guy who would like the protection of a camper rig. I've hunted out of them in many states for many years. Right now, i'm airing out my pop-up cabover camper for some little two day fishing and scouting trips.

They really are great and once properly outfitted, give some of the comfortable feelings of being at home. I have a stove, refer, and furnace plus plenty of storage space to pack along all the guns and ammo anyone might need to feel comfortable camping anywhere that they may want.

BTW, Not camping downwind, or anywhere near, of a rotten tree is pretty funny but damn good advice! :)

Joey

IdahoSmitty, I'm assuming bears or lions are your concern?
If so you can always tuck your tent back into a corner of trees forcing an animal to come from only one direction. You could then place a bunch of dry sticks across the opening giving you a warning to when something may walk across them. You could even bring some fishing line and hang a couple pop cans off it across the opening.

Other than that, the only other thing I could think of would be lightning??? If that is the case just don't camp on the highest point with your fishing rod leaning against your tent ;-)

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Dont be camping on/in a saddle or bench, thats where the game trails are and you may have company all night long...rates right up there with camping next to a river when the salmon are spawning in Alaska,,quaranteed to have a bear in your tent with you.
ridge tops are too windy, and the bottoms of draws collect cold air.

Get off the trail and about 1/2 way up the ridge, and stay downwind of the area you plan to hunt

Out of the wind,away,from tall trees if a storm is coming.
It always high on my list.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Over the years I've done my share of solo bivy type camping, many times a week or two at a time. I feel safer and more at peace in the mountains than I do in town.

One place that I avoid is ridge tops. I feel too exposed to wind and weather (lightning).

If you need a water supply, try to camp near one, but not too close. Wet areas have a lot of bugs.

As said, avoid camping under old trees that can fall. Even a dead limb falling can kill you.

I always look for a spot that will have good water drainage away from my tent in case a big rain comes, as can happen just about any time in the mountains.

If you can legally and safely build a small camp fire, do it. It always adds a little cheer and light.

I always keep my loaded gun within reach. I've never had to use it, but have had a few times with bears when I was glad I had it.

Lastly, I like a portable radio to listen to at night. Even in remote places you can usually pick up something at night. It's good entertainment and keeps you informed if something major is happening back in civilization.

Slow down, relax, and enjoy the simple things in nature, and you'll find that it's a great way to enjoy yourself.

Eel

.....and if the price ever falls enough on those blowup dolls like the one sage had....I'd get one of those for company....

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Well I think anyone who sleeps in a bivy thinks about being with that warm someone. You just suck it up and deal with it. Let you 9mm or 40 cal become your new sleeping buddy!

643420638_1224261406852_1238491757_30654599_2588540_n.jpg

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

"Thanks guys for the info...I'll keep my eyes out for blow up dolls going on sale!"
Now thats funny

I always camp near where I want to hunt in the a.m.. Just don't blowout what you want to hunt by having the termals screw you and use common sense as was noted above. It's usually a ridge where I can glass and hear. Probably the best device I have to 'feel safe' is the SPOT system. The only problem now is I just go in deeper and keep going. With no cell service, that SPOT system makes me and the wife feel better about those 4-5 day bivi treks. We have a code for things too.

1 notification = everything is okay
3 notifications in a row = I just shot something
5 notifications in a row = my hands are bloody

I don't take a gun, radio, blow up doll because they are all extra weight. Besides the doll just looks that much better when u get back to camp.:) Good luck.

HK

Smitty, I think HK will sell you his "slightly used" doll for a good price. Make him an offer.

Grizzly

Another thing that will help you get a good nights sleep is Tylenol PM or Advil PM. I too, know how long those night can be on the mountain alone. Most of the time, bears and lions don't worry me too much. But lightning is down right scary!

Don P.

She is NOT for sale. And I'll have you know, she is a fine upstanding gal...well most of the time...sometimes she is a naughty girl...

HK

>She is NOT for sale.
>And I'll have you know,
>she is a fine upstanding
>gal...well most of the time...sometimes
>she is a naughty girl...
>
>
>HK geeze, for a guy who complains about no animals, and post pictures of all his buddies animals, shouldn't you AVOID giving asvise?
i mean really-- nobody wants to set up a bivy tent in a public campground like you do...............

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom