Sako rifles, Good or bad.

IdahoBugler

I'm in the market of getting a new deer and elk rifle. I have a Ruger M77 in a 7mm and really like that round. So I went to Sportsmans and looked at a few of there rifles. I really liked the Sako 75 Finnlight and the Sako 75 Stainless Synthetic. The price was around $1200. Everything about this rifle felt great. The action, the trigger pull and just how it feels.

My questions are is this a good rifle and is this to much for this specific rifle? Where is the best place to pick one up if this is the one I like? The problem with Sportsmans was they only had them in a 300wsm. Do you have any other suggestions for different brands that I should look at.

Thanks for any info you gun lovers can give.

IB

Sako makes very fine rifles. Probably the best production rifles out there. I'd also look at the Kimber 8400 series in one of the short mag rounds. They are nice and just a bit cheaper. If you like the Sako 75 and it feels good for you, buy it with confidence. They are VERY accurate right out of the box.

I have two Sakos. One is a 7mm Rem Mag, the other a 300 Win Mag. Both are very accurate, have good triggers and have always been reliable. I'd buy another in a second.
One way I buy new guns is through an FFL holder that'll order the gun I want for 10% over cost, or sometimes a flat rate depending on the cost of the gun. Try a few pawn shops to see if they'll order the rifle and give you the same deal. Some FFL holders run ads in local papers or phone books. You can also try http://www.galleryofguns.com/gunlocator/locatorstart.asp they will have listings of companies that'll order the rifle for you and will show the final cost.

IB,
Sako makes an extremely, accurate, rifle right outta the box!
I've owned Sako's all my life and currently have a 7MM Mag. and a heavy bbl. .243.
They both shoot way under 3/4" moa and the .243 closer to 1/2" moa.
I've heard good things about the Tikka rifles. They're kinda Sako's underlings. They too shoot very well and cost considerably less!!!
Good luck w/ your decision, but, you can't go wrong buying a Sako !!!!!

I have two close friends who own the Sako 75 syn/stnlss in 7mm rem mag and 300wsm respectively. Both shoot sub moa. Excellent rifle, strongly reccommend them. Wish I had one.

Thanks guys for your input. I just have to try and find one now. How do the Tikka T3's compare? Again thanks for your comments.

IB

Think the Tikka T3's are about half the price of the Sako thorobreds. Look at them side by side if possible. The difference in components and quality is evident. Tikka is a darn good rifle for the money though.

I can't really add to what has already been said about the Sako 75.
The best out of the box hunting rifle going, IMO.
I just wish they made a stainless synthetic in a left handed version.

Tikka rifles are good to go too. I hate the plastic detachable magazine though. They are a good, less expensive alternative to a Sako M75 though.
Good luck!!!

That is one thing I didn't like about the tikkas also was the plastic. If I remember right the trigger gaurd, magazine and it had a cap at the end of the bolt were all plastic. That doesn't make sence to me. Thanks again all for the advise.

IB

Yeah, I'm being a little hard on a very good rifle!

All the Tikkas I have seen at the range have been terrific shooters and their owners seem to love 'em.

I have a Tikka and love it. The Sako 75 is the best production gun you can buy for the money. You can't go wrong.

This will be my next gun,

Gary

Just go buy a Kimber Montana for about the same$$ and be happy the rest of your life!::RIMROCK

I've always dreamed of owning a Sako since I worked the bolt on one years ago. If they made a lefty stainless, I'd have one. Instead, I've had an A bolt and Weatherby, both stainless. I will give in one day and buy one in wood and be happy. Also wish the Kimber Montana was in lefty stainless.

I did look at the Kimber Montana but just didn't like the feel of the stock. Way to slick for me, it almost felt like I would drop it. If they had some type of checkering on the stock I would of seriously thought about them. I also heard they kick like a mule with it being so light.

IB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom