Salmon Fishing..

Are you talking Ocean or River and Stream Paul?

I know I heard the Springer fishing on the Klamath may be shut down and that subspecies declared endangered but am uncertain how it will effect the Ocean as we all know how CA F&G has tied the Klamath and Sac. populations to Ocean regulations for years.

As a side note some of my Indian friends may have to suffer through the Fall Klamath run without being able to legally sell their catch. Please note sarcasm on suffering.

Bill

The DFG stated that the jack salmon returns were up , so I do believe there will be an ocean salmon season this year. I'll see you ou there, Jim.

Yeah I know Paul!

WTF?

I have some good friends that net the Klamath and they had the sack to complain about the possibility of no commercial season this year but I was less than sympathetic and gave em a little crap. Damn BlanketAzzes. LOL

Bill

Meeting and season..if any.. will be the first week of March. No good numbers of salmon down here in Ventura since 04.
Aaron

I don't know Paul but I'm sure ready for a Salmon trip, the fishing here in So CA sucks. When I lived in the bay area I used to try to get out every week when the salmon bite was good. I liked to fish Monterey Bay and would launch my boat in Moss Landing and if we limited early on the Salmon there is some pretty good bottom fishing in that area as well.

Mod70, we leave out of Moss Landing sometimes, too. Usually right at the boat ramp in Monterey, though. We do the same thing. After getting limits or if the salmon aren't biting, we can always fill the ice-chest with rockfish. Also, sometimes it is cool if the halibut bite is on. I love halibut!!! pc

I'm a river guy.
With the report stating that populations were 3x what they had previously thought, I'm hoping like Hell that they go back to normal river seasons up here.
I miss that summer salmon on the grill.
HH

>Mod70, we leave out of Moss
>Landing sometimes, too. Usually right
>at the boat ramp in
>Monterey, though. We do the
>same thing. After getting limits
>or if the salmon aren't
>biting, we can always fill
>the ice-chest with rockfish. Also,
>sometimes it is cool if
>the halibut bite is on.
>I love halibut!!! pc
>

Paul you mentioned the halibut bite and when it was hot usually late July, I would launch in Santa Cruz and drift with live bait in 60' water in front of the boardwalk and harbor and we used to limit consistantly and there ain't much better eating than fresh halibut.

>>>> FYI<<<<
California coast salmon fishing restored to normal
Posted at 08:24 AM on Tuesday, Mar. 15, 2011
By Matt Weiser - [email protected] Share

Feds to loosen restrictions on salmon fishing

Pacific Coast salmon fishermen are gearing up for what's predicted to be a robust fishing season after enduring restrictions and closures in the past few years of precipitous salmon declines off the California coast.

Huge jump in Calif salmon predicted for 2011

California could see a return to a full-length coastal salmon fishing season this year with biologists forecasting a tripling of the fish's ocean population, state fish and wildlife officials said Tuesday.

Strong returns of chinook salmon should give Oregon commercial fishermen their first decent season in years, but declining runs of coho from Columbia River hatcheries and worries over wild coastal fish mean charter boats and sports anglers can expect another mediocre year.

Compiled by Dave Hurley and edited by Roger George, a central San Joaquin Valley native and local fishing expert.

BEST BETS

Recreational salmon fishing on the California coast will return to normal April 2 following a vote Monday by the California Fish and Game Commission.

The vote marks the first time since 2007 that the state's primary ocean salmon sportfishing areas will see normal seasons.

Both commercial and recreational fishing have been closed or sharply curtailed the past three years by a steep decline in the Sacramento River fall chinook species, typically the most abundant on the coast.

The commission's unanimous vote permits recreational salmon fishing, starting April 2, in state waters roughly between Cape Mendocino and Point Sur. State waters extend out three miles from shore.

The vote took place as an emergency action in order to coincide with a similar move by the Pacific Fishery Management Council last week that affects federal waters. Had the commission waited until its next regular meeting on April 6, anglers would not have been able to catch salmon in state waters on opening weekend.

Call The Bee's Matt Weiser, (916) 321-1264. Follow him on Twitter @matt_weiser. Marija Vojkovich, marine region supervisor at the state Department of Fish and Game, said the population of Central Valley chinook salmon now in the ocean is estimated at 730,000 fish.

"The projections for the season are very strong compared to the last few years," Vojkovich said.

Opening weekend could produce $8.2 million in economic benefits for businesses serving anglers at ports in Fort Bragg, San Francisco and Monterey, Vojkovich said, adding that the closures in recent years have cost the industry an estimated $707 million.

"It means we get to go fishing again, and we're excited about that," said George Osborn, a lobbyist for the Coastside Fishing Club, which represents more than 10,000 recreational anglers in California.

The action does not affect commercial fishing or in-river recreational fishing for salmon. These fisheries typically open later and will be discussed at a future commission meeting.

Just got word that the salmon season for the far north coast has been set. The season will begin May 14th and go to Sept 5th. Seven days a week, 2 chinook/day, 24" minimum size

WHOOO HOOOO!!!

Matt
"Opportunity is missed by most people
because its dressed in overalls
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom