San Juan deer - Muzzy or Rifle

Land Hunter

I have 20 resident deer points and am debating between San Juan muzzy vs rifle. I'm told the muzzy hunt provides a better opportunity while they're still on top but with 53 year old eyes, I'm not too confident with my open-sight muzzy shooting skills but I could do a 1x scope. With the magnified scope ban, I'm wondering if more will migrate to the rifle hunt causing some mild point creep. I am willing to hire a guide since I don't know the area. I've talked to Black Timber Outfitters and they seemed to think muzzy was a better opportunity. Thanks in advance for your input!

I have 20 resident deer points and am debating between San Juan muzzy vs rifle. I'm told the muzzy hunt provides a better opportunity while they're still on top but with 53 year old eyes, I'm not too confident with my open-sight muzzy shooting skills but I could do a 1x scope. With the magnified scope ban, I'm wondering if more will migrate to the rifle hunt causing some mild point creep. I am willing to hire a guide since I don't know the area. I've talked to Black Timber Outfitters and they seemed to think muzzy was a better opportunity. Thanks in advance for your input!
I am in similar dilemma, will be following closely!

Muzzy all day…. I would hire the Hamblin’s as your guide though through Mossback….. they kill the biggest bucks on the San Juan every year.

The 1x scope should get you easily to 200 yards and maybe comfortably to 250 yards with a little practice. I took a deer at 265 with peep and globe and your 1x should get you all of that...depends on the advantage you think you get for the MZ season.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom