San Pedro Parks

JRABQ

Been a tough year for me so far, and got a tough elk hunt coming up (6C). Since they added the NE half of San Pedro Parks to 6C I thought I would check it out (I've hunted a good bit in the Jemez, but none in SPP). I've spent better part of 2 days and lots of boot tread scouting up there without much luck. Somewhat surprising (to me anyway) is that I've seen more sign near the trailheads, and less as I hike further into the wilderness. Some questions if anyone has an opinion they can share:

1) Am I wasting my time hiking more than a couple miles in?
2) Will the elk get pushed deeper in one the shooting starts?
3) Will there be much pressure from outfitted hunts inside the wilderness?

Any help or comments appreciated, PM if you'd prefer,
Thanks,
JR

My advice is stay just outside,you don't have to go far.The packers and folks in there will bird dog them to you.As stated,you saw the sign with your own eyes.Good Luck and Good Hunting!!

I hunted 9 days there last year on the early archery hunt. The first 4 days we hiked every day all the way in some 4 miles. No luck. We found them lower..hunt the wilderness boundary fenceline..Hike it until you find one of the numerous trails the elk use. Find a good fresh trail and be there first thing in the morning.. Its thick but thats where we found them consistently. Good luck.

Backpacked in there for a couple of nights two weekends ago just to get out of town. I was hoping the bulls would be hot and I could snap some good pics but the woods were quiet. I heard two or three bugles the first morning hiking in, and then a few more in the night when I was trying to sleep. Seems like they had shut up for the time I was there. I agree though, stick to the boundary fence on the N or E side. Beautiful country and caught a dozen or so cutthroat out of the Rio De Las Vacas up on top at about 10,000 ft. They were loving those grasshoppers.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom