Satellite communications

nmhuntr

Looking to see who has used some form of satellite communication such as Spot etc to send txt from remote sites where cell coverage is not available such as Gila or LNF. Looking for opinions based on your experience .

Thanks

Never used satellite communication, but for whats its worth I was able to use verizion cell in a few different spots in 16a...reserve had signal, as did sign camp mountain

I use a spot connect and it is great! I just send a message every evening to my wife saying whatever i want. My only complaint is that you have to keep messages very short, but it gives her peace of mind. Then, of course, there is also the SOS feature which hopefully is never needed, but nice to have.

I just ordered the new DeLorme InReach SE as an upgrade. It definately costs more, but can send and recieve messages and does so without needing another device to sync with. It also provides a confirmation that messages were sent which I don't have now (with spot connect). My need for this one is becuase i am trying to go hunting 2.5 weeks before my pregnant wife's due date and this way she can send me a message to head for home!

What kind of cost did you have. I think the spot requires a year subscription but the inReach let's you pay by the quarter?

Ok, So I am not sure I totally understand this but here is what my spot account shows me having paid:

in September of 2011 I paid 105.11 (initial subscription of 99.99)

Then on 1/10/12 I purchased a 100 message bundle (which appearantly expires at the end of the calendar year)

Then on 1/9/13 I purchased another 100 message bundle. (it is setup to do this automatically if I run out of messages, and appearantly they expire at the end of the year).

Looks like I am only paying 30 bucks a year at this point, and that just buing prepaid minutes.

My account shows that I have the basic service and type and send text, but not basic tracking (I don't leave mine on to update my face-tweeter, or whatever you kids are doing these days).

Looks like the InReach will cost me per month what the spot costs per year!...ouch, and all so my wife can tell me to come home!...not sounding like such a great idea anymore. :)

Just like Dang says SPOT Connect is $99 setup, $30/annual for 100-message bundle. They expire annually, so if you send 105 messages, you're automatically charged for another 100-bundle, and the unused portion expires.

Regardless, definitely well worth the peace of mind to send messages home on a regular basis. Also handy to tell somebody to come and help you pack out meat or bring you supplies!

I also enjoy being able to keep my dad, and avid hunter, up to date with my adventures even though he's in Alaska and unable to join me.

With the Connect, you use your Smart Phone as the medium for typing, so you need to be prepared to recharge the phone for extended back country trips. I only turn mine on to send messages, and also have solar charger.

Carl

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom