satellite phones

carterj16

what phones do you use and what plans. I don't know anything about them so help me out. I heard of one that is cheaper and can just send out text?
thanks

I use the Delorme Inreach. You can text back and forth and has emergency features. Works great. As far as sat phones I have rented them from mobal and that worked out good also.

You can rent one in Salt Lake for $10.00 per day and less than $3.00 per minute, if you need to use it. I've rented one but never had to use it, so the price was $10 a day plus sales tax.

I used to think I'd like to own one but as the daily rental rates have come done I don't think I will.

If your going to buy one you might get some good information regarding the pros/cons of the different systems from these rental businesses. Seems like they'd have a pretty objective reason for buying what they buy to rent out.

DC

I am dropping my Global Star phone and have went to the Spot Connect to download on my I-Phone and I can text or email out from anywhere in the wilderness.

The satellite phones work to a degree in the Gila Wilderness but on a limited basis as it is hard to keep a connection and to own one and get on their cheapest plan isn't cheap.

If you go satellite phone go Iridium but I would seriously consider Spot Connect as it is much cheaper in the long run and you don't have to worry as much about establishing and keeping a connection. Plus the I-phone with the Compass App, the phone acts much like a GPS and you can also download maps.

I spend much of my life in wilderness areas and now I think I can finally have some piece of mind. I've had nothing but hell with my Global Star for many years.

So any thoughts on Iridium vs global star? Are the problems with the phones or the area you are in? I have a quote for 10 days rental and a decent airtime package for around $175 for a Globalstar GSP1700. Thoughts?

Any experience in central idaho?

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

Keep an eye on Future Global Star products ... this is a rapidly growing Company and best in the Business . If they Win the current Court Hearing you will be seeing a lot more products become available and programs becoming more affordable . Verizon, Google, are Hot prospects considering to make a merge with Global Star . someday thats precisely what are Cell phones will be , Satellite phones . Global Star already has over 30 Satellites . I actually bought Stock in this Company 7 Months ago . lol

Will you be using it every trip or in a remote area outside the lower 48 like Alaska or South America? You need to research which service provider has the best coverage in the area you are planning to use it, then find the phone manufacturers that support their system and then start shopping for a plan. I used a sat phone for a caribou hunt in AK. I choose a company that shipped the phone to my home and gave free test time. They also had an airport drop off service so I was able to just leave it at the Anchorage airport. Iridium had the best coverage 100 miles north of the arctic circle at the time.

Sagebrush, I don't know about the OP but I would want it for about 10 days in the Frank Church wilderness this fall.

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

I haven't got any experience in Idaho but the Global Star has gotten somewhat better with the problem I have in the SW mountains is that it doesn't stay connected very long as there are not enough satellites but they have gotten better. The Iridium seems to be a bit better right now.

You are constantly moving around in about a 100 yd. to 200 yd. circle to find a place you can get service but then it doesn't stay in long in the deep canyons. Northern Quebec where I caribou hunted has great service but is open country.

We require all of our Sept. archery elk hunter drop camps to have a satellite phone so we can get back in to get the meat out by the next day. Even in the high country in SW NM and SE AZ you have to get them out right away.

Definitely take a satellite phone with you as they work good enough to do what you would need them for, unless you try to run your business or need to talk at great length to your wife or girlfriend.

I will be trying my new Spot Connect in the Gila Wilderness this week and will let you know how it works. I am excited about it's possibilities.

I have used the Delorme Inreach in California, Nevada and Colorado with excellent results. The new Inreach can be used with or without your smart phone which is a nice feature. The original one all texting is through the phone. Check them out online.

stoney - You need a full time GPS tracking system so when one of those mexican wolves eats you he can be tracked down and shot.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom