Scope question

Firedad

Amateur question, my scope dialed at 100 yards (for now), the turret says something like 12 or 13 moa. Does that sound right? Should it take 13 moa from center at 100 yards? There’s only 15 moa per revolution but up to 85 moa of adjustment (assume center is half that and 85 is total top to bottom adjustment).

OR am I 12-13 moa down from zero because my scope is mount? Assuming again that it’s a standard 1.5” mount.

Not sure what the moa markings on your particular turret are, but notionally you would be at zero moa wherever you are sighted in at. The scope should have an adjustment approach that sets (shows) it to zero at that point.

If you are saying that you are about 15% through your vertical play of the scope, that seems fine though. Having 70 moa to dial the scope down (and thus the bullet path up) is super plenty.

My swaro scope turret, once set, will only allow dialing for longer range- the assumption is you have set your scope for "flat" range out to the point you sighted in at.

Now, if your scope does not have an adjustable turret (meaning you adjust it to sight in, then put a cap on it that is not adjustable)- again you are fine, by default.

I have the vortex diamondback tactical 4-16x44 I should have spent that money on a different scope I know that now but I do have adjustable turrets but no zero stop. I’d like to buy a better scope just not just before Xmas. Sunday I’m going to the range. I have data and created a turret tape to get me in the ballpark so I can verify and record solid data. This is on a 30.06 so keeping it to one rotation which will simplify not having a zero stop. As for the question, assuming the scope has 85 moa adjustment, that 0 at 100 yards reads 12.75 moa and that would be 12.75 below center of adjustment. Meaning I should have approx 55 moa of upward adjustment available. I just wanted to see if anyone thought that my scope 0’d at 100 yards and reading 12.75 moa sounded reasonable or if the turret came from the factory on a random number based on reticle position.

Loosen your turret and reset it back to zero and tighten it back up. The turret really isn’t set to anything from the factory. It’s up to you to sight in the rifle and then reset the turret back to zero. either read the manual or YouTube it to see how to do it

Ok thanks. Zeroing the turret is simple and the rifle is already 0’d at 100. Shot my buck at 225 right on the money this year. I had an unsuccessful elk hunt due to not having the opportunity to shoot it at longer distances and not being able to cut the distance on a bull. Used a different rifle for most of the hunt but the last few days and the closest I got to a bull I was using my rifle. Work kept me from shooting it more. Won’t make that mistake ever again.

If you don't have a zero stop you should figure out how many revolutions it is from zero to bottomed out. If its 2 full revolutions or even three, at least you can get it back to zero if you loose track of where you are.

If you don't have a zero stop you should figure out how many revolutions it is from zero to bottomed out. If its 2 full revolutions or even three, at least you can get it back to zero if you loose track of where you are.
Good idea I’ll do that

Good idea I’ll do that
Yep, I have the same scope, after I zeroed it out its roughly 2 1/2 full turns to the bottom. I have that printed at the bottom of my dope chart so I don't forget.

The zero thing would bother me. I might would mark the bottom of the turret with red paint or something. Also, Charts won't be very helpful unless your always hunting the same place. I used to use them, but there are to many good apps out there that you can pack with you. They are much more efficient.

Last edited:
The zero thing would bother me. I might would mark the bottom of the turret with red paint or something. Also, Charts won't be very helpful unless your always hunting the same place. I used to use them, but there are to many good apps out there that you can pack with you. They are much more efficient.
For me I’ll always be hunting somewhere between 4-10k ft in elevation, does it affect it so much that it would ruin a good shot? As for the zero I just need to adjust the cap. I’ll have a ballistic turret for the bullet I use at 55* F and 5500ft elevation. I’ll have a chart if necessary for 8000ft. Covering all my bases this time, including the apps.

Will try the garden hose for a stop or something similar. I’ve read multiple threads about this. If nothing else I’ll use a red or white sharpie

For me I’ll always be hunting somewhere between 4-10k ft in elevation, does it affect it so much that it would ruin a good shot? As for the zero I just need to adjust the cap. I’ll have a ballistic turret for the bullet I use at 55* F and 5500ft elevation. I’ll have a chart if necessary for 8000ft. Covering all my bases this time, including the apps.

Will try the garden hose for a stop or something similar. I’ve read multiple threads about this. If nothing else I’ll use a red or white sharpie
Huge difference from 4,000 to 10,000 feet. If you’re staying under 400 yards with a 30-06 you’re probably be fine with a single turret set at 6000’. If you’re shooting further than that you’ll definitely need a ballistic calculator for any given elevation and environmental condition. If you really want to commit to gaining the ability to kill ethicality at further distances, I’d be happy to add some guidance along the way. More velocity, more arrow dynamic bullets, better optics, better proven ballistic data, drop validations, cold bore validation etc.

But 400 yards 100% kill shots is absolutely attainable with your current system if you put the time in.

I’d also recommend you run some tracking test and return to zero before investing in a custom turret. Verify your scopes ability to return to zero and what the actual adjustments are moving vs what the turret is marked for.
A custom turret is only as accurate as the real life data supplied. That’s why I prefer a standard turret which you are always able to make corrections with.

I’d also recommend you run some tracking test and return to zero before investing in a custom turret. Verify your scopes ability to return to zero and what the actual adjustments are moving vs what the turret is marked for.
A custom turret is only as accurate as the real life data supplied. That’s why I prefer a standard turret which you are always able to make corrections with.
100% agree. Not a fan of custom turrets. They are very rarely spot on bullseye in random environments

I’m creating my own turret tape instead of ordering a custom turret. That way I don’t spend 100s of dollars before I get it dialed perfectly. With the tape I can only blame myself for mismarked lines. I have about 10 boxes of federal terminal ascent to play with and make notes. I plan to take my sweet a$$ time so as to get as close to cold bore as possible.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom