Scope ?

cannonball

Very Active Member
For a 270 cal. rifle mainly used for hunting deer and elk, what scope is the best bag for the buck in Make and Magnification?

Would appreciate any input I can get before buying.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-14 AT 09:21PM (MST)[p]I like the Vortex crossfire 4X12X44 just ordered another one for a new rifle. I think it was like $140is from the demo list. I love my other on a varmint 243

I have a Burris Signature Series fixed 6x on my .270 Winchester. It has served me well, but there have been times where I wished I had a little more magnification.

+1 on the Vortex Crossfire. You'll have a hard time finding that much scope for that little money. It is a very solid, well-made scope, and you can't beat it for the price.

Leupold VX3 4.5-14X40 CDS. I have this scope on two rifles and that's what I put on my wife's Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker .270. Range, dial and hold dead on. Still hunting, just turn it down to 4.5.

7198002_small.jpg

The standard ole 3x9 Leupold would be tough to beat. The 3.5x10 would be even better since it's an upgraded scope, not just more "power".
There are soooooo many great choices out there but the most bang for the buck is Leupold IMHO.
Good luck.
Zeke

The most deadly i ever was, was when i hunted a rifle with a straight 6X Redfield widefield scope atop my rifle.

The straight 6 was plenty enough power to hunt with, identify the legality or trophy potential,of a stationary but quick to be moving buck, and there was no messing around with the power ring, my guess as to why way more deer don't get killed each year. People see a shooter buck and they unconsciously start messing with the power ring instead of finding a rest and shooting him!

All that said about the excellent qualities of a straight 6x, nothing wrong with a variable either. 3x9, 4x12,... all good, especially when sighting the rifle in and to search for it's best accuracy potential.

I like Leupold and Burris Signature series scopes. There is others that will do you well but don't go too cheap as you will soon be wanting to upgrade. I put most of my money in my binoculars as shooting a buck with a "good quality" scope is easy even early or late, it's finding the one i want to shoot, putting better more expensive glass to use, that's hard to do.

If money is not a concern, there are guys out there that will sell you a way better product than you need. that's my $.02

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

A lot of different oppinions. Heres one that isnt out there. I bought a Remington 700 300 win mag when I was 18. I didnt have enough money to buy the scope I wanted, so I bought a Tasco World Class 3-9 ? 44 for 99$ for the time being. Here I am 17 years later with the same scope on this rifle. It has always been dead on I've not had 1 issue with this scope. I have harvested quite a few bucks and bulls with it too. I dont know if id buy another one, but theres an example of getting a good scope for not a lot of money.

>Leupold VX3 4.5-14X40 CDS. I have
>this scope on two rifles
>and that's what I put
>on my wife's Browning A-Bolt
>Stainless Stalker .270. Range, dial
>and hold dead on. Still
>hunting, just turn it down
>to 4.5.
>
>
>
7198002_small.jpg

That is the exact set-up I have, but in a .300WSM.
You can't go wrong with the Leupold VX3 4.5x40.
I have it on 4 rifles.

>A lot of different oppinions. Heres
>one that isnt out there.
> I bought a Remington
>700 300 win mag when
>I was 18. I didnt
>have enough money to buy
>the scope I wanted, so
>I bought a Tasco World
>Class 3-9 ? 44 for
>99$ for the time being.
>Here I am 17 years
>later with the same scope
>on this rifle. It
>has always been dead on
>I've not had 1 issue
>with this scope. I have
>harvested quite a few bucks
>and bulls with it too.
>I dont know if id
>buy another one, but theres
>an example of getting a
>good scope for not a
>lot of money.

***Tascos aren't what they used to be!

Zeiss Conquest with RapidZ800 reticle system.

Turned my 25 year old Browning A Bolt .270 into a 500 yard gun.

Zeiss Conquest hands down. I set them all up for a side by side comparison and the Zeiss was the brightest and clearest.
Wes

Thanks for the input. I have two leupolds now and it sounds as if that is the main consensus for the best buy for your money. I am hearing good things about the Vortex and, with the warranty they are putting out, it is a consideration.

Leupold - lifetime warranty, Vortex - lifetime warranty. The difference?

You will probably need it with a Vortex.

A good shooting .270 is easily a 500 yard rifle for mule deer. My wife's longest is 463 and mine 525. Steady rest, no wind and lots of practice at the range.

Gave me the confidence to move up to the next level. I believe this new X-Bolt in 7mm Remington will be a 1,000 yard rifle when I have enough range time with it. With the muzzle brake, the recoil is less than my old .270.

2160016.jpg

Leupold's warranty does not cover if the product has been modified, misused or has been damaged by accident, abuse, or misapplication.

Vortex's warranty does not cover loss, theft or deliberate damage to the product.

The biggest difference between the two scopes is price, the scopes are both good quality scopes and both of their customer service reps for their warranties will take care of you. I have dealt with both Leupold and Vortex due to faulty scopes, the Leupold out of the box would not hold zero. They sent me a new scope with a letter apologizing for my issues, Vortex I dropped my rifle (don't ask how far) on accident and the scope would not hold zero, I sent it back with a letter telling them I had a hunt coming up and they next day aired me a new scope. So the point is both warranties are good and both brands have people who use the warranties the biggest difference is price. I know this is a wealth of knowledge but what can I say I love both Leupold and Vortex. I have used both and still cannot decide which one I love more!

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

With Leoupold you will need the warranty, and you will almost certainly use it.

Just about every Leupold I have owned has gone back at least once.

Not worth the messing around.

If you are used to the leupolds I would suspect you will not be happy with the vortex. The glass quality just ain't quite there and the eye relief of the vortex is noticably shorter.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

RE: Scope ?leupold

I have 4 scopes, 1 vx11 that has been on a 270 for 30+ years the gun would need to be bent to make that scope off.I did recently buy a vx111 with cds available,being more of just a hunter,It was difficult to target at near ocean level and 80 degrees,I hunt mostly at around 5000 ft.+ and at freezing temps.I did dial the scope in and love the 12 power,next problem is ranging a deer in a sea of sage at 850 yrds. think Ill just get closer like always.one thing I learned about the cds came as I watched a buck cross a basin,stop and look towards me,as I looked down there was a nice 5x5 mont. buck I took my rifle out of an eberalstock pack put my gun on it for a simple 150 yard shot, and if I did not here the gun go off I would not believe I shot,2nd shot same thing this time it alerted the deer,I realized the cds was dialed all the way up,3rd shot done. I will need to keep an eye on that,and the last scope I will ever own will most likely be leupold.one last thing I wont buy como leupold range finders,I have not lost my black one yet.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom