Scoring antelope

bschnoor

Hi...my question is...as boone and crocket rules say for the 3rd circumference you go above the if the swell of the prong is in the measurement then you measure above the prong. What is the exact definition of the swell of the prong? Maybe at the mid point of the prong or at the initial portion of the prong? Thanks - Brian

You measure just above the top edge of the prong where it meets the main part of the horn. Make sence?

I'm relatively new to scoring antelope, but I believe the swell is from the bottom of where the prong starts, to where it ends. I have a close friend who scores for Boone and Crocket. I'll check into it for you and I both.
Thanks,
nk

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-05 AT 09:40AM (MST)[p]In laymans terms, the swell is where the prong starts to form off the main horn. The prong does not intersect with the horn at a sharp angle. The prong usually slopes into the horn. So if the third circumference measurement falls on this swelling (slope), or anywhere on the prong, it would be exaggerated and not a true circumference measurement. So, the measurement is moved up, out of the swelling. Hope it makes sense.

"D-2-4. HORN CIRCUMFERENCES
Divide Measurement C of the longer horn by four. Starting at the base, mark both horns at these quarters (even though the other horn is shorter) and measure the circumferences at these marks. If the prong interferes with D-2, move the measurement down to just below the swelling of the prong. If D-3 falls in the swelling of the prong, move the measurement up to just above the prong."

Ed F

http://community.webshots.com/user/bowuntr

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom