SE Utah general unit vs Colorado units

tnvol

Hey guys..my sons and I were thinking of putting in for a Utah general tag in the San Juan Abajo unit. We are novice muley hunters, and we went on our first CO deer hunt last year and had a blast in a 2 point unit 2nd season rifle. We probably seen 50 + deer a day which was fun to glass. Is the Utah general unit I mentioned anywhere near a similar experience in Colorado? I absolutely no nothing about Utah.. anyone have thoughts or experience in any of the Utah gen units for deer and how they compare to low point units in Colorado?? Thanks!

The San Juan Abajo hunt is decent on the earlier hunts, archery/muzzleloader. The rifle hunt is an absolute zoo and if you kill a 160” you had success. Here was the absolute biggest buck we could turn up. Saw 1 bigger before season but it’s not great over there.

IMG_3667.png

The San Juan Abajo hunt is decent on the earlier hunts, archery/muzzleloader. The rifle hunt is an absolute zoo and if you kill a 160” you had success. Here was the absolute biggest buck we could turn up. Saw 1 bigger before season but it’s not great over there.

View attachment 142963
Thanks for your reply..is the new muzzy law a 1x power s ope only?

I am a utah resident. Utah general hunts, Archery and muzzy you will have chances and see deer. I have been on 2 different hunts when we have hunted rifle with a young hunter and in 4 days of hunting seen 300 does and 0 bucks on public land. not one spike. Every Colorado hunt we can atleast find bucks. I am not a great deer hunter, but I would say my kids are maybe 50% success on utah general deer tag, and 100% success on easy (2 points or less) Colorado deer tags.

With that said, we aren't great deer hunters and willing to shot a 2 point after the first day.

I am a utah resident. Utah general hunts, Archery and muzzy you will have chances and see deer. I have been on 2 different hunts when we have hunted rifle with a young hunter and in 4 days of hunting seen 300 does and 0 bucks on public land. not one spike. Every Colorado hunt we can atleast find bucks. I am not a great deer hunter, but I would say my kids are maybe 50% success on utah general deer tag, and 100% success on easy (2 points or less) Colorado deer tags.

With that said, we aren't great deer hunters and willing to shot a 2 point after the first day.
That’s great info..sometimes I think maybe CO gets a lot of publicity and was overrated but maybe it really is one of the best states for muleys even though the trophy quality is down throughout the state.. thank you!

That’s great info..sometimes I think maybe CO gets a lot of publicity and was overrated but maybe it really is one of the best states for muleys even though the trophy quality is down throughout the state.. thank you!
Colorado always has been the" best muley state". Look at the record book. They blow away every other state.
But like everywhere else, mule deer quality and quantity is down.
You will definitely have a better hunt in Colorado than a general Utah unit, including San Juan Abajo.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom